Illithid Invasion u63 Event Unlocking Mega Thread [Completed]

YeeboF

Downsides:

I did find it annoying that you really couldn't fully participate without watching the forums and/ or reddit like a hawk. I don't have time for that.

A cloak or something to commemorate would have been cool. Real missed opportunity.

I refuse to engage with Reaper, so I couldn't have helped with the unlocks even if I were inclined to watch the forums like a hawk. Just generally, a "Challenge mode" that actually becomes both easier (i.e., R1 vs Elite, blue balls for nukers) if you grind it enough and is always more monotonous (since the same mobs show up in every-single-quest) is just idiotic. Hard nope from me on general principles.

Upsides

Liked the crazy colors all around town and the swarms of ships. Fun touch. Got a lot of screenshots.

Didn't mind the temporary champion mobs, found them pretty fun. Like the rando champs on the HC server. Nice change of pace without being overwhelming. I have been running everything on elite, and did notice that they are sometimes quite tough on a melee. But I never came close to getting instagibbed by them, even on first life builds. However, I always run on elite, so maybe they are badly tuned in Reaper.

vryxnr

My original plan was to just post the following in chat but I figured it was too obvious:

When there's lightning, you know it always brings me down
But, that doesn't seem to correlate with when the floor breaks or the gate opens. I've had lightning trigger and still got the gate opened without the floor breaking... unless "brings me down" is in reference to the gate being opened so we want lightning? But We've also seen it open without lightning...

Lotoc

But, that doesn't seem to correlate with when the floor breaks or the gate opens. I've had lightning trigger and still got the gate opened without the floor breaking... unless "brings me down" is in reference to the gate being opened so we want lightning? But We've also seen it open without lightning...
Its the song. By Dio.

festasha

It's done now on g'land Vryxnr, new dungeon is open :)

vryxnr

Its the song. By Dio.
I'm well aware of that and the references DDO makes to a lot of different things. I'm wondering about how that's helpful in the context of this discussion (determining if there is a way beyond dumb luck to get past the puzzle).

Rakehell

DDO forums: “Devs made it too easy. They’re the worst and don’t know what they’re doing. I’m taking my ball and going home”

Also DDO forums: “Devs made it too hard. They’re the worst and don’t know what they’re doing. I’m taking my ball and going home.”

Congratulations to the people that are coming together in the community to complete the tasks. No matter if they’re challenging or not. Keep up the good work!
That is kind of true all right! The first wave skirted by so fast it seemed hard to get the chance to even be involved, but the last waves have taken longer (for good or bad) which has allowed more people to be involved.

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets
There is a small part of me that is kind of neat to see folks try to unrandomize the puzzle. If it can be solved... will be for the greater good.

Not the most fun farm, but trying to search for the silver lining, gives plenty of time to those that really want to see an invasion point before its exhausted.

Right? Right? :) Keep going all. you're all heroes to me!

Lotoc

I'm well aware of that and the references DDO makes to a lot of different things. I'm wondering about how that's helpful in the context of this discussion (determining if there is a way beyond dumb luck to get past the puzzle).
As a hint to the location of the quest I would imagine.
Cordovan last posted in this thread before we found it in Rainbow in the Dark

vryxnr

As a hint to the location of the quest I would imagine.
Cordovan last posted in this thread before we found it in Rainbow in the Dark
uhm, no, that post was posted 22 minutes ago, well after it was found, and after some servers finished farming it too, and well after the hunt to de-randomize the puzzle was underway.

Reactions: DJH

Lotoc

uhm, no, that post was posted 22 minutes ago, well after it was found, and after some servers finished farming it too, and well after the hunt to de-randomize the puzzle was underway.
Are you doing this on purpose? His last post, before that one, which he is referring to in his recent post.

CBDunk

It could mean that the wheels which generate lightning are somehow significant to there being an actual way to solve the wheels every time.

OR he could just be quoting the song.

I'm going to choose to believe he wouldn't throw fuel on the crazy fire of speculation that has been going on around this 'puzzle' (if it even IS a puzzle) unless there really were something to be learned.

Any chance that the lightning, when it shows up, is always generated by the same wheel(s)?

vryxnr

Are you doing this on purpose? His last post, before that one, which he is referring to in his recent post.
I'm not talking about that earlier post that made no mention of lightning and falling. I'm talking about the most current one with the "hint", which I quoted in my first reply, which you replied with explaining it's a song. That is what I'm talking about, and I thought you were talking about as well because it's the only post with information relevant to what we were both talking about.

you know, his last post in this thread at this time.

Reactions: DJH
There is a small part of me that is kind of neat to see folks try to unrandomize the puzzle. If it can be solved... will be for the greater good.

Not the most fun farm, but trying to search for the silver lining, gives plenty of time to those that really want to see an invasion point before its exhausted.

Right? Right? :) Keep going all. you're all heroes to me!
They may have put it there to get people working on that puzzle again. Something in an old quest that has remained unsolved for years.

Lotoc

I'm not talking about that earlier post that made no mention of lightning and falling. I'm talking about the most current one with the "hint", which I quoted in my first reply, which you replied with explaining it's a song. That is what I'm talking about, and I thought you were talking about as well because it's the only post with information relevant to what we were both talking about.

you know, his latest post.
My original plan was to just post the following in chat but I figured it was too obvious:

When there's lightning, you know it always brings me down
Actually read his post, it's past tense saying the hint he was wanting to give (by quoting the song before we found the quest) was too obvious.

CBDunk

Actually read his post, it's past tense saying the hint he was wanting to give (by quoting the song before we found the quest) was too obvious.

That... makes sense. People would have immediately known which quest that was. Not sure we needed to know that he didn't want to make that last bit too easy though. I dunno. Trying to read the tea leaves on whether it is even POSSIBLE to solve this thing is too much.

vryxnr

I did read that. I actually try to read everything people write. I've had too many encounters where people only read the first few words and nothing else and it's annoying and frustrating. I also try to take things in context.

But for nitpicking about how I interpreted things:

My first thought when he said "in chat" is not the forums, but his streams.

When you said "his last post" I literally think of his last post, not his previous post. Perhaps that is where some of this confusion and conflict is coming from?

That still doesn't resolve my initial question, because the actual last post with the hint, was posted after we already knew the location and was posted in the middle of a discussion about solving the puzzle. The context it was posted in was in the middle of the discussion about the puzzle. Hence my question about how it works when we've seen the opposite.

If it's only a hint for where it is located, then that was really poor timing at best.

I understand where you're coming from, but I hope you can understand where I'm coming from as well and not attack me for it.

Cordovan

Community Manager

you know, his last post in this thread at this time.

Correct. I apologize if I led someone to believe I was offering some kind of new hint.