Illithid Invasion u63 Event Unlocking Mega Thread [Completed]

Arsont

Cool cool. Glad I got to contribute somehow on Sarlona-was the first to "discover" the point then got a bunch of kills in Lost at Sea, and got a few kills in Offshore Account.

Wouldn't have minded if there were another phase or two so I'd actually be able to play one round through to completion-but as long as everything is open, I'm happy.

Ying

5000+ hours played
image.png

The sky is back to normal.

Farlino

Pity; no invasion of Illithid all over Stormreach via the ship-entries (= landing spots) or teleporters.
Ah well, maybe next time.
Have fun in DDO everyone

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
Well, other than the 12-hour period after we found the one in Rainbow, that was great fun! Now, let's see how they work all this into Legendary Chronoscope...

Lotoc

I am curious if this illithid invasion is a test run, perhaps for if each server can muster the player engagement to unlock "hidden" quests.
I wouldn't be surprised if an event format will be a method to unlock a raid in a future expansion, and if such an event would be isolated to quests in that expansion pack it would likely be much better recieved.

TroggyTrog

For me the event was a disappointment overall. I was hoping for illithids and thralls in the actual streets of Eberron. E.g. the playerbase fighting the illithids as they spawn in waves in the markeplace or the harbor. I was only able to be in game a couple of times during the event the past week to actually try and find the illithids hidden in the quests. I feel bad for the people that couldn't be online and wanted to participate in the exhaustion of these invaders. It just feels like this could have been thought out more, so that everyone could feel like they were participating.

I am glad the quests are free. So, that's a silver lining. Though the extreme mechanics are more of a "give the big baddies raid size hit points" rather than a lot of really unique combat systems. Sure, there were a few, but not enough for me to say "wow, that's cool".

That's my two cents. I'm sure it'll differ from others. But for me I give this event 2 tentacles out of 5.

Lotoc

The 4 challenge quests pretty much don't seem to be so much a challenge but a tutorial on mechanics and fight design.
Quest one is all about target priority.
Quest two is all about avoiding damage effects.
Quest three is all about stealth gameplay and avoiding detection.
Quest four is about searching out quest objectives.

Nothing really has "raid sized hitpoints" aside from the giants in quest 3 who you are really meant to avoid.
Quest 1 has the shield mechanic and quest 2 has enemies start with like a 40k absorb shield against all damage though.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
For me the event was a disappointment overall. I was hoping for illithids and thralls in the actual streets of Eberron. E.g. the playerbase fighting the illithids as they spawn in waves in the markeplace or the harbor.
This would have been pretty cruel on the low-level players in those areas. There were issues of the kind back in the Devil invasion, and that was level ranges 1-10, but your average Mind Flayer, in addition to, by necessity, being a higher CR, can do enough Charisma damage in two hits of Ego Whip to render a non-Charisma build helpless.

Maybe this would have worked better in Clifftop, but then that would in turn have limited participation in the event to people above level 13.

somenewnoob

Though the event itself I thought was garbage......the new challenge quests........very well done. Good variety, good mechanics (LOVE Pilgrims peril mechanics).

So credit where it's due, the new quests are winners.

Arsont

This would have been pretty cruel on the low-level players in those areas. There were issues of the kind back in the Devil invasion, and that was level ranges 1-10, but your average Mind Flayer, in addition to, by necessity, being a higher CR, can do enough Charisma damage in two hits of Ego Whip to render a non-Charisma build helpless.

Maybe this would have worked better in Clifftop, but then that would in turn have limited participation in the event to people above level 13.
They could have done something like the old Mabar/Delera's public area, where ithillids spawn based on the standard quest level of a given zone (Or the level of the most quests in an area, or the level of quests you'd run when first accessing the zone, etc.). Then they could just cause a debuff or something if you killed too many low level spawns (I.E., Mabar's Interest, but thematic. Something about psyonic overload or whatever). Like with Delera's, these mobs could remain passive until directly interacted with.

The major downside of this is that of course everywhere (Or at least major public areas based on the invasion points) would have to become a combat zone. Oh, and the lag. There would definitely be more lag.