Kali's Bard Swashbuckler HYBRID Melee/CC+ Insta-kill Caster build

Urashima Taro

So, I was thinking about giving this build a try and was thinking about going Rune Arm over Buckler. Would going Human for the bonus feat and swapping out Insightful Reflexes and Shield Specialty to grab the metamagics impact the playability of this build at all?

Kalibano

Build Designer. Having fun since 2006!
So, I was thinking about giving this build a try and was thinking about going Rune Arm over Buckler. Would going Human for the bonus feat and swapping out Insightful Reflexes and Shield Specialty to grab the metamagics impact the playability of this build at all?
Hey there,

Happy to share some thoughts :)

- Insightful reflexes is integral to make the 'trapper' aspect of the build work. Without it, your reflex saves and evasion would not be effective without considerable investment in DEX. This build needs CHA, CON, and INT (search and disable device), so that would be a real challenge to achieve

- Rune arm is indeed a possibility, and perhaps a bit more DPS (not done maths). I still prefer bucklers because of:
> the defensiveness it grants​
- in swash T3 = 10% dodge​
- via Shield Mastery Spec feat (PRR)​
> the CC attack it grants in swash T4: Low Blow​
> the doublestrike it grants via the Shield Mastery Spec feat​

- Ref the metamagics: I would personally not swap those 2 feats for spell power metamagics (assuming those are the ones you have in mind?). Despite being a hybrid build, melee DPS is used far more frequently than offensive spellcasting. My focus for the metas were quick casting and DC boosting, mainly.

- The racial choice I made is very synergistic. I suppose the 2 things I prize the most are the imbue toggle and Ash Imprisonment. I would personally not swap them for an extra feat, via the human race, to be spent on metamagics.

Hope this is helpful!

Note: I am planning to transform this build into a Dragon Lord T5/Swash using handaxes, for the strong weapon crit profile it can reach. It will take a me a good while to get all going, but it looks like it will make a fun variation with a similar playstyle to the one I have with this build.

Last edited:

Urashima Taro

Hey there,

Happy to share some thoughts :)

- Insightful reflexes is integral to make the 'trapper' aspect of the build work. Without it, your reflex saves and evasion would not be effective without considerable investment in DEX. This build needs CHA, CON, and INT (search and disable device), so that would be a real challenge to achieve

- Rune arm is indeed a possibility, and perhaps a bit more DPS (not done maths). I still prefer bucklers because of:
> the defensiveness it grants​
- in swash T3 = 10% dodge​
- via Shield Mastery Spec feat (PRR)​
> the CC attack it grants in swash T4: Low Blow​
> the doublestrike it grants via the Shield Mastery Spec feat​

- Ref the metamagics: I would personally not swap those 2 feats for spell power metamagics (assuming those are the ones you have in mind?). Despite being a hybrid build, melee DPS is used far more frequently than offensive spellcasting. My focus for the metas were quick casting and DC boosting, mainly.

- The racial choice I made is very synergistic. I suppose the 2 things I prize the most are the imbue toggle and Ash Imprisonment. I would personally not swap them for an extra feat, via the human race, to be spent on metamagics.

Hope this is helpful!

Note: I am planning to transform this build into a Dragon Lord T5/Swash using handaxes, for the strong weapon crit profile it can reach. It will take a me a good while to get all going, but it looks like it will make a fun variation with a similar playstyle to the one I have with this build.
That all makes sense. I was looking at the Spellpower Metamagics since they apply to the Rune Arms via Macrotechnic. Thanks for the in depth response.

Grimstad

I have several lives behind me and wanted to try a bard for the first time. Could you tell me how many points go into each skill at character creation, and at subsequent levels? Thanks!

Kalibano

I have several lives behind me and wanted to try a bard for the first time. Could you tell me how many points go into each skill at character creation, and at subsequent levels? Thanks!
Hey there :)

Hope you enjoy your first time as a bard with this build.

Below is a screenshot of the skills per level as I planned them (for the same exact numbers, you'll need a +4 INT tome, as per the build):
Bard-Swashbuckler-skills.jpg

You can see this more closely and adapt/change if you access the DDOBuilder file for this build. You can find and download Maetrim's DDOBuilder here.

Hope this is helpful! :)

Last edited:

Grimstad

Hey there :)

Hope you enjoy your first time as a bard with this build.

Below is a screenshot of the skills per level as I planned them (for the same exact numbers, wou'll need a +4 INT tome, as per the build):

You can see this more closely and adapt/change if you access the DDOBuilder file for this build. You can find and download Maetrim's DDOBuilder here.

Hope this is helpful! :)
Awesome! Thank you so much!

Kalibano

Note:
I am contemplating the possibility of transforming this build into a Dragon Lord T5/Swashbuckler using hand axes, for the strong weapon crit profile it can reach:
15-20/x5
Critical threat range
Base
> 20: Hand Axes​
Feats
> +1 feat bonus: 'Improved Critical: Slashing' (feat)​
Heroic enhancements/spells
> +2 competence bonus: Bard's 'Swashbuckling* [C3]' {base bonus}
> +2 competence bonus: Bard's 'Swashbuckling* [C3]' {*doubled bonus if you have the IC feat}
= 15-20
Critical damage multiplier
Base
> x3: Hand Axes​
Heroic enhancements/spells
> +2 competence bonus: Dragon Lord's 'Conqueror [T5]'​
= x5

Crit damage multiplier boosts = +1
Epic Destinies
> +1 on 19-20 rolls: Fatesinger's 'Blade Song [T5]'​
= x6
Expanded Vorpal threat range = +1 (19-20)
Feats
> +1: 'Perfect Single Weapon Fighting' (feat)​
I have not done any detailed planning, just brainstorming some possibilities:
> Bard 15/Dragon Lord 5?
> Bard 14/Dragon Lord 6?
Either option would remove the trapping aspect of the build.

> Bard 12/Dragon Lord 6/Rogue 2?

Perhaps removing the bard + the caster hybrid aspects completely, and being fully melee focused?
> Dragon Lord 15/Bard 3/Rogue 2?

Perhaps leave this build as is, since it's great fun to play, and make a new alt?

Whichever choice I take, it would take a me a while to get this properly planned + at endgame in the live game, but it looks like it will make a fun variation with a slightly similar playstyle to the one I have now.

In the meantime, below are notes ref U66 changes for the build as it currently is:

U66 changes (updated in the forums and DDOBuilder file)
Basically no active changes required for this build.

> The key passive changes all seem positive:
  • Fatesinger
    • Core abilities now grant +15 HP
    • DC for Discord abilities (melee/ranged) is now 20 + highest mod + stun DC
    • DC for Discord (spell) is now 20 + highest of int/wis/cha + evocation DC
    • Little bit of Music and Master the Acoustics have swapped places in the tree

• Shadowdancer
    • Core abilities now grant +15 HP and +25 SP.

• Machrotechnic
    • The cooldowns of the Hammer Time spells and the damaging Epic Strikes have swapped places - leaving the Sonic and Electric Epic Strikes at 10 seconds and the Hammer spells at 15 seconds.
All in all, the build is good to go as is :) Enjoy!

Last edited:

droid327

> Bard 12/Dragon Lord 6/Rogue 2?

Think that's the way to go. No need to reinvent the wheel, a 12/6/2 is still optimal. Bard has great spells in L4, junk in L5, but you cant get to L6 (16 Bard) without giving up T5 Dlord, which defeats the purpose, so no reason to push to Bard 13-14-15

So might as well keep trapping and Core 4 Swash/Core 3 Dlord + Rav, while still getting 3 L4 Bard spells (FOM, CCW, DDoor, Disco)

Frantik

With all due respect (to you and your many interesting builds) I think I would set up the Trees differently as I see the build as being a support role, a cc and non-aggro damage dealer:

I'd also go 18/1/1 with Bard/Rogue/Clr or FvS
Heroic: Spellsinger (40 AP) all the way for Mass Hold Monsters, the spell DCs and all the nice adds. At least 16 AP into Feydark for +2 CHA, CHA to hit, YGMB and +3 Spell Pen. I would dump TA. 4 AP into War Priest/Soul. 18 AP min. into SB for first 3 cores, doublestrike Action Boost, movement speed and deflect arrows etc. The rest is up to you. You'll get a lot of your melee damage from Epics. I'd even go as far to suggest to go Chaotic Neutral and I think I'd try and fit in Arcane Insight somehow.

I used 65 ED points as per your build... I swapped Machro for Draconic as I like Coalescence a LOT combined with Harmonic Resonance and I'd be using Horn of Thunder SLA and Greater Shout on CD. Pianissimo and Cover of Darkness provide -65% Threat from all sources which I think is what Bards need. And to top it all an enlarged Mass Hold Monsters :)

Fatesinger (38)
Core 1
Tier 1 (4) - Epic Strike, Harmonic Resonance,
Core 2
Tier 2 (7) - Pianissimo III, Mantle, Discord
Core 3
Tier 3 (9) - Rhythm to Reign III, Magic of Music III (Evocation), Masquerade III
Core 4
Tier 4 (7) - Majesty, Arcane Resonance, Very Very Vocal, Enlarge
Tier 5 (7) - all of them

Shadowdancer (17)
Core 1
Tier 1 (6) - cover of darkness III, Technician III,
Core 2
Tier 2 (3) - Lithe III
Core 3
Tier 3 (5) - Shadowstriker, Enchantment DCs III

DI (10)
Core 1
Tier 1 (5) - Perception II, Dragonhide III
Core 2
Tier 2 (3) - Coalescence III

Anyway thats my 5 cents, and did me some good taking a break from reading the Servers are Down doom page.

Thanks for the ideas!

Last edited:

Kalibano

With all due respect (to you and your many interesting builds) I think I would set up the Trees differently as I see the build as being a support role, a cc and non-aggro damage dealer:

I'd also go 18/1/1 with Bard/Rogue/Clr or FvS
Heroic: Spellsinger (40 AP) all the way for Mass Hold Monsters, the spell DCs and all the nice adds. At least 16 AP into Feydark for +2 CHA, CHA to hit, YGMB and +3 Spell Pen. I would dump TA. 4 AP into War Priest/Soul. 18 AP min. into SB for first 3 cores, doublestrike Action Boost, movement speed and deflect arrows etc. The rest is up to you. You'll get a lot of your melee damage from Epics. I'd even go as far to suggest to go Chaotic Neutral and I think I'd try and fit in Arcane Insight somehow.

I used 65 ED points as per your build... I swapped Machro for Draconic as I like Coalescence a LOT combined with Harmonic Resonance and I'd be using Horn of Thunder SLA and Greater Shout on CD. Pianissimo and Cover of Darkness provide -65% Threat from all sources which I think is what Bards need. And to top it all an enlarged Mass Hold Monsters :)

Fatesinger (38)
Core 1
Tier 1 (4) - Epic Strike, Harmonic Resonance,
Core 2
Tier 2 (7) - Pianissimo III, Mantle, Discord
Core 3
Tier 3 (9) - Rhythm to Reign III, Magic of Music III (Evocation), Masquerade III
Core 4
Tier 4 (7) - Majesty, Arcane Resonance, Very Very Vocal, Enlarge
Tier 5 (7) - all of them

Shadowdancer (17)
Core 1
Tier 1 (6) - cover of darkness III, Technician III,
Core 2
Tier 2 (3) - Lithe III
Core 3
Tier 3 (5) - Shadowstriker, Enchantment DCs III

DI (10)
Core 1
Tier 1 (5) - Perception II, Dragonhide III
Core 2
Tier 2 (3) - Coalescence III

Anyway thats my 5 cents, and did me some good taking a break from reading the Servers are Down doom page.

Thanks for the ideas!
Thanks a bunch for sharing your variant of this build: This is most welcome indeed :)

It's not quite the playstyle I am going for, but nevertheless very interesting too!

A version I really enjoy of a spellsinger bard is this build in my repository. I'm close to updating the post and images with the U66 changes. build is now fully updated.

Last edited:

HighLordPudding

also a suggestion for trapping. If you ahve the ingredients, make a Legendary Green Steel Intelligence skills item. With all 3 tiers it is a +39 to search and disable.

It can be difficult to make these days as Legendary Shroud is not run as much, but if you can make it, it is a great swap item for trapping