Ki Bolt, Magic Missiles, and Ruin Make Muggle Monks Moan

Mokune

If you can do SWF too from VkF you get another 20MP
Hmm, I could drop Precision, Stunning Fist and the Tenth Feat I mis-calculated to pick up the SWF line also. Nice tip! Starting to look fresh and fit. I have a dagger set up with Sentience and upgraded to +50 MP on Action Boost for 10 sec too.

saekee

long live ROGUE
Hmm, I could drop Precision, Stunning Fist and the Tenth Feat I mis-calculated to pick up the SWF line also. Nice tip! Starting to look fresh and fit. I have a dagger set up with Sentience and upgraded to +50 MP on Action Boost for 10 sec too.
might be odd to do if you get the TWF line from DH

Mokune

might be odd to do if you get the TWF line from DH
It is kind of a waste but for the sake of theory-crafting a chimera, I could do some iteration of BF 3or6Monk/4 Pal (minimum to qualify for Empower)/ and Dragonlord Fighter which would have lots of Feats and SWF would work.

BiggerTrolls

My mantle damage is not exciting. 6k-7k in r1 with 550~ spell power. I will do more testing with higher spell power. Am I missing something? Ki bolt applies mantle, and damage is meh.

Mokune

Whelp...it seems that whatever was synergizing between DI mantle and Ki Bolt was changed. I hit 20 with the 3Pal/6Monk/11DH above. Ki Bolt with DI mantle adds about 100 mantle damage with around 30ish standing MP and about 250ish Acid SP with Max/Emp on. Mantle damage with Shadow Dagger from FI tree is about 1000ish.

Gonna recover the AP spent in HeM and spend somewhere else for now and try the DI/KiBolt thing at 23 when I unlock the DoT aspect of the mantle.

Mokune

Another Update. Not sure if something changed or the scaling from the low monk level Ki Bolt affects the DoT damage? Idk so I checked with my level 32, toon. 20 HeM. 558 Acid SP, 160 MP, 37% Acid Crit and 30 Acid Crit Multiplier.

Went to GH wilderness and Dot from Mantle with Ki Bolt hit for 10k to 20k on first tick. So, the numbers you are seeing in R1 with the reaper de-buff seems to match with my experience. Havn't seen anything close to 100k/tick with it but not geared to the 9s for it so /shrug?

BiggerTrolls

With 883 electric spell power I'm seeing the mantle tick for around 10k normal, crits up to 30k. 45 crit 56 crit multi. I assume with ash and other debuffs the numbers will be goodish in a raid setting. My greater ruin is critting 30k force with 638 spell power 66 multi... I'm not excited about the damage so far. Will have to test in a raid setting with debuffs going.

I've done my testing in hard, elite, and r1 dino island quests thus far.

Mokune

What I found is that with only 3 levels of monk, the DI Mantle DoT based off Ki-Bolt is extremely weak, just a couple hundred damage. As if the DoT's strength is determined in part by the caster level of the initial spell. 3d6 vs 20d6 with 20 Levels of Monk. My experience is similar to BiggerTrolls except iirc I didn't see anything past 13kish. With debuffs to MRR and Vulnerability stacks on a weakened mob I could imagine much higher damage numbers. It doesn't seem like Metamagics affect the DoT when procced from Ki Bolt either.

BiggerTrolls

What I found is that with only 3 levels of monk, the DI Mantle DoT based off Ki-Bolt is extremely weak, just a couple hundred damage. As if the DoT's strength is determined in part by the caster level of the initial spell. 3d6 vs 20d6 with 20 Levels of Monk. My experience is similar to BiggerTrolls except iirc I didn't see anything past 13kish. With debuffs to MRR and Vulnerability stacks on a weakened mob I could imagine much higher damage numbers. It doesn't seem like Metamagics affect the DoT when procced from Ki Bolt either.
I would like to know if there is a difference between full monk and multi class for proc damage.

I would be much more likely to reroll as full monk if the proc damage is significantly bigger.

popejubal

I would like to know if there is a difference between full monk and multi class for proc damage.

I would be much more likely to reroll as full monk if the proc damage is significantly bigger.
This feels like something that will probably be changed in a future update, so it's probably best to do that quickly and enjoy it while it lasts if you're going to do that.

Mokune

I can test this a little more thoroughly. I'll post up details. Metas on/off, SP, Spell Crit, MP and Monk Levels.
What I am really liking though is the damage, range and AOE on Orchid Blossom. It does extra damage vs a few enemies Aberrations, Undead, Evil Outsiders I believe it is. Versus a helpless Dretch in Reclaiming the Rift R1 I did just a bit under 43k with 308 Force SP, 28% Force Crit, 15% Crit Damage, 108 MP, Max, Emp. I have no investment whatsoever in helpless damage increases and no debuffs. I regularly hit other enemies for about 8k-ish and about 12-14k on a crit. VS the red named scarecrows in R1 Through the Mists it only hit for about 4k or so. I didn't notice how much the wolves or wisps were taking though. There was so much going on and I am only level 26 right now wearing level 15 Sharn and Epic Chrono gear. The CD on Orchid Blossom is 15s CD is a bummer.

Mokune

@ 20 Monk, 32Legendary. 175 MP, 564 Acid, 37% Acid Crit, 30 Acid Crit Multiplier and no debuffs vs Red Named Scarecrows in R1 Through the Mists the Acid Dot would tick @ 18-19k on a crit. The actual Ki bolt damage is so low as to be negligible, wet noodle territory in Epics.

Mokune

Keeping in mind the stats are different due to level and gear etc. I just did the same test on my lvl 27 character with 3 Monk levels, 116MP, 435 Acid SP, 8% Acid Crit Chance, 5% Acid Crit Multiplier. DI Attune the Arcane DoT from Ki Bolt was about 1500 per tick vs same Red Named Scarecrow in R1 Through the Mists. Even with the difference in MP, SP and Crit-Multi I expected to see much more than that. Will check again at 32. The difference between the two of 60 MP ,130 SP and 25% Crit-Multi doesn't feel like it adds up to 10x lower damage and I suspect the difference in caster level between level 20 Ki Bolt and level 3 Ki Bolt is significant. Re-spec at your own peril though. It'll be a few days maybe next weekend before I cap this toon.

Tilomere

Yea DI mantle is based on caster levels and metas of base ability. I don't think Ki bolt takes max/emp metas, but ruins will. Bunch of debuffing also helps out damage. Can get force spell power/crit with raid gloves for orchid blossom , putting healing spell power on weapon as IOD augment, and putting an elemental ring for DI mantle proc damage spell power on now that it doesn't overwrite DI mantle.

This build was massively buffed now that your DI mantle dot isn't overwritten by procs.

Last edited:

Mokune

Yea DI mantle is based on caster levels and metas of base ability. I don't think Ki bolt takes max/emp metas, but ruins will. Bunch of debuffing also helps out damage. Can get force spell power/crit with raid gloves for orchid blossom , putting healing spell power on weapon as IOD augment, and putting an elemental ring for DI mantle proc damage spell power on now that it doesn't overwrite DI mantle.

This build was massively buffed now that your DI mantle dot isn't overwritten by procs.
For some reason I thought (hoped) fire spell power affected it so concluded the metas "might" which did not seem to be the case at all but had to try for "science".

DBZ

Hey til just wondering

Would a 16monk 4fvs splash still work for this for cls and the procs

Or did AOV get completely gutted or doesn't play well with these

And would it be worth it for a 5 splash n zealous faith hybrid is the name of this game right 12 monk 4 fvs 4 lock

Or the 3 warlock splash for the crit mutlipliers too right warlock also gets you the radiance imbue and you might fit in 28 imbue dice

Last edited:

Vish

a baby babbles, is anything said
nothing is said, for the words are not yet right

hey tilo,
good to see your crafting all these years later
i always appreciated your analysis of the subject

Kil
sarlona

Tilomere

Heh yea, this whole build is just "science" or maybe more accurately Excel plus dev design. Appreciate the testing you never know for sure what will happen. This whole build happened because Moonhaven tested ki bolt and posted the results.

AoV seems pretty interesting, I definitely had looked at it as an option. I don't like warlock as much since it doesn't come with a trance.

Heya Vish, good to see you. Monk is pretty good now if you wanted to dip your toe in.

Reactions: DBZ