Making PvP appealing to more people

bloodraiser3

So I am trying to get more people into PvP.

I am working on getting a set of rules for PvP that will make it as close to balanced as possible with removing the least amount of things. So far I think I have it fairly balanced with level 7 first life and a small ban list of items, spells, and enhancements(See below for full ban list). I am also working on getting a ranking system based (Elo) to give players a goal to work towards in PvP. I would also like to setup seasons so the top people can get some kind of reward based on their rank. I currently have a handful of people on my discord channel who actively PvP with these rules and all seems to have fun and enjoy our current setup. Please feel free to join the discord and start enjoying an aspect of DDO that many new players don't even know exist. https://discord.gg/MjCxEqZk

Ban list:
  • No ship buffs
  • No outside arena buffs(Only buffs your character can apply)
  • No cookies
  • No reaper points
  • Scarab of spell absorption
  • Vorpal/Disintegration type effects on weapons and armor
  • Maximize
  • Manyshot
  • Blood Tribute
  • Sap
Spells:
  • Niac's Cold Ray
  • Scorching Ray
  • Splinterbolt
  • Elemental Prod
  • Defic Vengence
  • Frost Lance
  • Call Lightning
  • Salt Ray
  • Searing Light
  • Flame Strike
Enhancements:
  • Knockout
  • Terror Arrows
  • Howl of Terror
  • Nightshade
  • Diving Attack
  • Ash Imprisonment
  • Paralyzing arrows

bloodraiser3

Not saying you idea is bad and that should not pursue it but you are basically stacking the deck toward melee.
Wizards, Sorcerers, Ranger would not see the fun in it.
I do see that, but I also feel that Melee needs alittle bit of help with not getting 1-3 shot across the arena.

Altra

Not saying you idea is bad and that should not pursue it but you are basically stacking the deck toward melee.
Wizards, Sorcerers, Ranger would not see the fun in it.
Wizards, Sorcerers, (and all other spell-users) can't use their spells in public (the PVP tavern) so they're left out anyway.

Onyxia2016

I do see that, but I also feel that Melee needs alittle bit of help with not getting 1-3 shot across the arena.

Therein lies the issue. The only way for it to be an even playing field is to match melee vs melee and caster vs caster.
Otherwise it would be one sided at lower level as caster start out very bad and the advantage goes to melee.
However as they level caster become much more powerful able to one/two shot things because if they get hit a few times they are dead. So the advantage shifts to casters. This is the baked in design behind most all roleplay game of this type. And why the PVP scene died off on DDO.

Many moons ago I played WoW for a time. Was a warlock mostly. I would get challenges all the time.
I would cast fear and then all my dots and watch them running around helpless while their HP dropped zero.
I would get the same people over and over challenging me. I would even have them say ok lets go again but you can't use fear.
I said ok then mister melee have to be unarmed. I never had any takers.

I applaud your effort but I just do not see many caster/range types wanting to agree to those limitations.
I could be completely wrong in my thinking.

bloodraiser3

Therein lies the issue. The only way for it to be an even playing field is to match melee vs melee and caster vs caster.
Otherwise it would be one sided at lower level as caster start out very bad and the advantage goes to melee.
However as they level caster become much more powerful able to one/two shot things because if they get hit a few times they are dead. So the advantage shifts to casters. This is the baked in design behind most all roleplay game of this type. And why the PVP scene died off on DDO.

Many moons ago I played WoW for a time. Was a warlock mostly. I would get challenges all the time.
I would cast fear and then all my dots and watch them running around helpless while their HP dropped zero.
I would get the same people over and over challenging me. I would even have them say ok lets go again but you can't use fear.

I applaud your effort but I just do not see many caster/range types wanting to agree to those limitations.
See it will never be an even playing field. But I would like to get it as close as possible. with my current rules it is balanced. Currently Ranged is the strongest. But can still be beat. Casters can beat melee and ranged but cannot be glass cannons without any mobility.

Griglok (Karatemack)

Leader- The Casual Obsession (Khyber)
So I am trying to get more people into PvP.

I am working on getting a set of rules for PvP that will make it as close to balanced as possible with removing the least amount of things. So far I think I have it fairly balanced with level 7 first life and a small ban list of items, spells, and enhancements(See below for full ban list). I am also working on getting a ranking system based (Elo) to give players a goal to work towards in PvP. I would also like to setup seasons so the top people can get some kind of reward based on their rank. I currently have a handful of people on my discord channel who actively PvP with these rules and all seems to have fun and enjoy our current setup. Please feel free to join the discord and start enjoying an aspect of DDO that many new players don't even know exist. https://discord.gg/MjCxEqZk

Ban list:
  • No ship buffs
  • No outside arena buffs(Only buffs your character can apply)
  • No cookies
  • No reaper points
  • Scarab of spell absorption
  • Vorpal/Disintegration type effects on weapons and armor
  • Maximize
  • Manyshot
  • Blood Tribute
  • Sap
Spells:
  • Niac's Cold Ray
  • Scorching Ray
  • Splinterbolt
  • Elemental Prod
  • Defic Vengence
  • Frost Lance
  • Call Lightning
  • Salt Ray
  • Searing Light
  • Flame Strike
Enhancements:
  • Knockout
  • Terror Arrows
  • Howl of Terror
  • Nightshade
  • Diving Attack
  • Ash Imprisonment
  • Paralyzing arrows
Our guild hosted a Capture the Flag event a year or so ago. Please note that Dimension Door takes EITHER party to the same entry point, placing one of the teams at a severe disadvantage. Just something to consider. :)

Also, good luck on the event. If you end up doing something at level 7, most people can participate so long as they have vet status to insta-level a new character.

bloodraiser3

It's a shame that stealth doesn't work in PVP either :(
I agree, That and invis. I want to get enough people into pvp so SSG fixes that and maybe adds damage reduction to higher levels so people dont 1-shot eachother lol
Our guild hosted a Capture the Flag event a year or so ago. Please note that Dimension Door takes EITHER party to the same entry point, placing one of the teams at a severe disadvantage. Just something to consider. :)

Also, good luck on the event. If you end up doing something at level 7, most people can participate so long as they have vet status to insta-level a new character.
Yeah, Ive seen a few guilds do events. Ive hosted a few tournaments myself. For team stuff it may be good to ban DD lol. Thats one of the main appeals to level 7, Everyone can do it. Thanks for the support.

Onyxia2016

See it will never be an even playing field. But I would like to get it as close as possible. with my current rules it is balanced. Currently Ranged is the strongest. But can still be beat. Casters can beat melee and ranged but cannot be glass cannons without any mobility.

It will be a challenge to say the least. Melee would need to exclude anything that can stun/knockdown. Shield Charges etc...
Please do not mistake my posts and saying you should give up on your event. I am only pointing out some things to consider.
I too wish you luck in this endeavor.

bloodraiser3

It will be a challenge to say the least. Melee would need to exclude anything that can stun/knockdown. Shield Charges etc...
Please do not mistake my posts and saying you should give up on your event. I am only pointing out some things to consider.
I really appreciate the input and advice. Its defiantly not easy trying to balance it. I for sure wouldn't let anyone telling me it'll be hard or wont work but any of the other things people have said stop me from trying. Ill keep trying until they either disable PvP or there is zero interest. But as long as atleast one person wants to PvP with me, than its not dead.

Orchidblossomwasgutted

You think we're gonna listen to your "rules" ? Lol its how we play the Melee Character.... Get immunity to the things you mentioned or just dont step in to the Ring

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Brilliant! 😂👍

I'd have said "yeah sure" then used fear on them anyway. 😂👍