Most of the single target epic strikes will not be used due to their excessively low damage

PraetorPlato

please! Nobody played or will play acid sorc because acid doesn't have enough spells to make it a viable playstyle. DB is not to blame for the lack of acid sorcs, it is the lack of acid spells in the own class. Now it is even more unfeasible than before to play an acid sorc.
Nah, several cold sorc players I know are swapping to fire or acid, because it's no longer just a question of how long it takes to burn the things that survives DB down.

droid327

I respectfully disagree with the notion that Epic Destinies do not define or redefine a character's playstyle. Since their introduction, Destinies have provided players with the flexibility to expand their character's playstyle. Asking if a L20 Barb should have access to powerful spells is comparable to complaining that casters have access to expanded crit range--the choices made prior to Epic Destinies will impact how powerful these spells or melee abilities are.

It's undeniable that Destinies offer the potential to significantly influence a character's capabilities, including healing, mobility, spellcasting, and more. I incorporate Destinies into my character planning, and understanding that they offer avenues to adapt and evolve my character's role influences the choices I make for levels 1-20. The ability to switch between different Destiny setups allows for my characters to change roles based on the situation.

While I appreciate differences of opinions on how strong Epic Destinies should be, suggesting they "aren't meant to define or redefine" is not accurate.

What you describe isnt defining or redefining your playstyle...you're basically agreeing with me that it augments the playstyle that your heroic build defined. You can add pieces to fill gaps in your class build, or to bolster your main functionality, but destinies arent adding complete new functionalities that define your playstyle.

Because they're meant to be supplementary or complementary pieces, Epic Strikes arent going to be capstone abilities like L9 spells are. EDs represent a "second gear" of progression, and like Heroic progression, you start with the basics and work your way up to the marquee abilities.

In other words, you dont take a 20 Barb and turn them into a caster...if all ED strikes and SLAs were balanced as "L10+ spells" then you conceivably could, because a handful of those would be enough to define a whole casting playstyle.

Lazuli

Nah, several cold sorc players I know are swapping to fire or acid, because it's no longer just a question of how long it takes to burn the things that survives DB down.
Acis sorc is a bad option. The spells it has: acid well (good), Black Dragon Bolt (not bad, butr as dot is only for bosses, bad option for trash), acid fog (lv 6, outdated and not improved in the spll pass, it is a cloud whose use is situational), cloudkill (another cloud, even with less damage than acod fog), acid rain (level 4, another cloud), and we go down to level 3 to find the second direct acid damage spell (hint: level 3 already does very little damage)

With these options the acid sorc will always be at the tail of the other elements. It seeds more direct damage spells for effective rotation. Acid has too many clouds (none of which are modified in the spell pass) and few direct damage spells. Acid actually has a high level direct damage spell. Only one.

Acid needs a lot more love.

Fire has always been an option, what ice had was the best filigrees and superior synergy with glacial wrath. But my sorc was fire and worked well, I have always found that ice lacked area damage.

PraetorPlato

Acis sorc is a bad option. The spells it has: acid well (good), Black Dragon Bolt (not bad, butr as dot is only for bosses, bad option for trash), acid fog (lv 6, outdated and not improved in the spll pass, it is a cloud whose use is situational), cloudkill (another cloud, even with less damage than acod fog), acid rain (level 4, another cloud), and we go down to level 3 to find the second direct acid damage spell (hint: level 3 already does very little damage)

With these options the acid sorc will always be at the tail of the other elements. It seeds more direct damage spells for effective rotation. Acid has too many clouds (none of which are modified in the spell pass) and few direct damage spells. He actually has a high level direct damage spell. Only one.

Acid needs a lot more love.
Oh yeah, acid absolutely needs more spells, but acid well is a really good replacement for old DB, and is now relevant again. You'll only use acid well and BDB, supplement with arcane tempest and iceberg. Fire picking up acid well is interesting too as an option

The Narc

Melees doing 1.2 million dps crits ah you think there slowing down 1 dc bot with 5 ranged or melee will stomp anything you want
Dev progression;

Step 1 - yes to a epic strike change to curb everyone towards a meta change, yes melee is very enticing with its big boy damage numbers

Step 2 - patiently wait until a large percentage of people have invested time and money(lots of money to skip the time, ie pay to win) into gearing up the new meta.

Step 3 - now because we love the new meta the most for easy design we have so many options to nerf and make the new meta very killable, thereby driving it towards needing more gear that we can easily design for basic melee stats.

Easy peasy for devs future design of quests and combat as well as enticing new gear.

Fly on the wall for the dev boardroom meetings;

Dev 1 - “wow we are genuises”

Dev 2 - “and the best thing is the clientelle is so busy arguing about melee versus range versus caster for their own greedy and selfish needs that they dont even recognize how much we have slowed down their progression”

Producer - “ok guys the plan has been executed, keep working on finding more ways to slow things down so we can encourage more people to pay to win”

Note isnt this just the way with all MMO’s, i mean as an example the Alchemist is a pay to win class and notice how you have seen ot a peep anywhere about alchemist, lol yes because playing an alchemist is still fun and very powerful(I am not here to promote it because it is a pay to win) and those who are playing it are smart enough not to say a peep about all its power as to not lead to nerfing there. (I mean how many streams do you see on alchemists, not any of the main streamers, because this one is the hidden gem)

YeeboF

Yes you are right but sadly I think the Devs will nerf heroic abilities back to d6 + Spell level rather than buff epic abilities
Honestly, probably this. The only difference between fireball and higher level spells in heroics will be max caster levels, coming sometime soon.

Reactions: DBZ

Lazuli

Oh yeah, acid absolutely needs more spells, but acid well is a really good replacement for old DB, and is now relevant again. You'll only use acid well and BDB, supplement with arcane tempest and iceberg. Fire picking up acid well is interesting too as an option
You could take those spells before, if you wanted. People don't want it because the second element always has much less spellpower and crit. The devs don't make it easy to equip multiple elements with the equipment design (tell that to the wizards!), and the feats are also designed to benefit a single element.

The day devs stop designing for ultra-specialization will be the day players welcome generalizing their spellcasting a little more.

PraetorPlato

You could take those spells before, if you wanted. People don't want it because the second element always has much less spellpower and crit. The devs don't make it easy to equip multiple elements with the equipment design (tell that to the wizards!), and the feats are also designed to benefit a single element.

The day devs stop designing for ultra-specialization will be the day players welcome generalizing their spellcasting a little more.
You could, but there was no reason to, because DB covered essentially all your aoe needs. Now that it doesn't, cold sorc's spell rotation isn't overpoweringly better than the other sorcs.

Lazuli

You could, but there was no reason to, because DB covered essentially all your aoe needs. Now that it doesn't, cold sorc's spell rotation isn't overpoweringly better than the other sorcs.
DB is just a spell, it doesn't fill the rotation on its own. People don't want to take a second element because that second element is going to do significantly less damage than their specialization element.

Furthermore, acid is conjuration and the other elements are evocation. Add less DC too.

Oliphant

Players, you caused this! You'd normally be using your Otto Boxes but the game got a tad easier and it got you over that hump and motivated to just play DDO and now we might not even have a DDO. Fine, go a tad faster but don't use that as an excuse to boss up and start playing DDO to level.

DBZ

Acid well is a fort save so useful for high evasion mobs even if the dps isn't that great

Monkey_Archer

Dragon's breath was definitely overnerfed, and their decision on that makes zero sense when compared to macrotechnic strikes which are just better in all ways now.

That said, almost everything else is more power creep. Melee options are buffed, ranged damage is way up, non-DB casters buffed. As usual, those who adapt will find DDO even easier than ever; those that cling to the old will complain on the forums. :)