Multiboxing

Asterphen

I feel that I have experienced exactly the opposite to the original post. I have yet to join a group with someone who is multi-boxing and wished they weren't. My experience with mutiboxing accounts has been nothing but positive. I do not have the skills, to hyperzerg through all the quests. In the past week, everytime I have been in group when I suspect someone is multi-boxing, I was weak link. Not only did they run the quest well, but they ran two characters through better and faster than I ran one. Additionally, I was able to benefit as they pulled the gear I was looking for on their second account which they then passed. I feel bad the original poster has had difficult experiences when they have grouped with multi-boxers. I am curious as to which of us is the norm and which is the exception.

Svirfneblin

There’s a guy in my server who is notorious for starting a quest you enter and then he says wait while he pulls four of his guys in then you’re running the quest and the whole quest is scaled up higher with more mobs because there’s a full six party you finish and then you gotta wait for him to run each one of his guys to the end chest and he never passes any loot I don’t group with that guy anymore

Elminster

There’s a guy in my server who is notorious for starting a quest you enter and then he says wait while he pulls four of his guys in then you’re running the quest and the whole quest is scaled up higher with more mobs because there’s a full six party you finish and then you gotta wait for him to run each one of his guys to the end chest and he never passes any loot I don’t group with that guy anymore
Just kill all the guys and have them ride the backpack before you start?

Svirfneblin

Just kill all the guys and have them ride the backpack before you start?
He does not do that and you still have a fully scaled up quest for two active people to clear and you still have to wait for each person to loot individually and then get run to the next quest and wait for him he does this so someone will join and help him speed up the quest,

Reactions: DBZ

vryxnr

Multiboxing has been in, and acceptable in DDO, since the very beginning. AFAIK the launcher has always had the option to allow multiple instances. The key is that (and the devs have said this on the old forums) they must be controlled by you. No botting software that makes them move and play on their own, no auto-following anyone other than yourself. They must move and act via your own keyboard strokes.

However, not disclosing that you are boxing is rude imo and I do not support that. Be upfront about it, advertise that you are doing it, or don't put up an LFM... because yes, people join LFMs expecting actual people. I say this as someone who DOES multibox, and does so quite often. I enjoy the unique challenges and experiences it brings, and I enjoy the benefits (running 5 boxes to the end to loot share - while longer than just solo or in a full group - is still faster that running it solo 6 times, as you only have to kill the enemies once), and sometimes I want to play but I don't want to always interact with others. But I stop boxing when with others, and only bring them back if everyone involved is aware and okay with it.

Carrying soulstones to rez at chests is done easily (if not by deadly environmental effect) via greensteel. Having more than one non-weapon equipped that are not cleansed will cause ever increasing damage over time until death. Just remember to remove them the moment of resurrection.

Last edited:

Amoneth

I've seen someone multi box raids too, it's one thing to bring a pocket bard, it's another to bring 4-6 toons just to get loads of loot for yourself. It takes so much longer that way so I refuse to join that person's raids at all now

Aeromach

The Best
I don't see the problem. Just drop and move on...
I don't usually mind Multi boxers, especially if its an eXtra Bard Buffer giving everyone buffs at the entrance - I'm all in on that.

I don't recall ever joining a LFM posted by a multi-boxer that wasn't labeled as such or they didn't tell me straight away.
I don't think I have ever had a multi-boxer join my LFM (maybe once but he asked first).
Now I don't stand around and wait for anyone to re-run the quest for loot... that I won't do. Ima hit that bell and check out.

Lagin

Interesting topic.
1) Is it YOUR lfm? Don't want db's. say so in lfm, OR at least tell people to inform you if they are.

2) Joining a pug? You can ASK in chat, AND if the group has to wait for their toons.

This is a gaming moral/ ethic not discussed enough, maybe if having to wait bothers you, leave (obviosly).

The big qustion. "Is it every players responsibilty to inform others in a group you're DB'ing"?

vryxnr

What is DB?
Dual Boxing, the original term for running two accounts... but using that convention for more than two gets cumbersome (tri-boxing, quad-boxing, quint-boxing, sex-boxing... nah, just use the catch all of Multi-Boxing)

Jummby

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I think multi boxing sucks and isn't good for the game. I can't tell you how many times I join a group of 4 people thinking we're going to breeze through a saga, only to find out one guy is controlling all 4 toons. This ends up taking far longer than just soloing myself.
My issue is it's dungeons and dragons, so I enjoy grouping with people!
Of course I can leave and start my own group and yada yada, but when did multi boxing become so prevalent in heroics. I don't remember ever running into people doing it 10 years ago when I used to play every day. It must suck for new players as well that only rely on lfm's to level up.
Some people like doing it, I think it's a pain and tedious.

With so few people playing the game it makes no sense to bother people who like to do it. Also when people have more than one account they get packs and stuff for those accounts in some cases. SSG would lose money on it.

Bjond

I've been doing it a fair bit recently with a zoneline bard -- it's MUCH less hassle than using a hireling. If hirelings had at least minimally decent coding, they'd be far better; ie. just make them stand at max range and only heal (and use efficient heals rather than giant sp-sucking ones).

It's less RXP at cap than making R8+ groups, but far FAR more time-efficient in the end (no waiting on formation).

I don't put LFMs up when with my bard. I do put 'em up when running with a hire. IMHO, fixing hirelings should be a top priority.

Mornyngstar

On the Abbot raids that I run on Thelanis Sundays at 4pm EDT I fill in the extra spots (If there are any) with alt accounts up to 5. I let everyone know that they are there and that anything that drops for them is up for roll, so don't leave too early. I am just getting their 20 runs in for the Quiver. 2 weeks ago, I had 4 in there and had 1 quiver and 3 seals that were given away.

Jummby

On the Abbot raids that I run on Thelanis Sundays at 4pm EDT I fill in the extra spots (If there are any) with alt accounts up to 5. I let everyone know that they are there and that anything that drops for them is up for roll, so don't leave too early. I am just getting their 20 runs in for the Quiver. 2 weeks ago, I had 4 in there and had 1 quiver and 3 seals that were given away.
This post is a classic example on why people just need to be left alone on how they play this game!

2 to 4 solid toons can run MOD r1 no issue. So what if someone brings some boxes???

Sarandra

Oh dear lord another 'I don't like the way those people play! Devs you need to stop them!' thread.

Last time this happened, tumble got wrecked.
Well, here's me hoping
1. Auto-follow in multi-box gets totally wrecked, abusers punished (give them a week to think this over)
2. Some form of auto-indicator appears showing multi-boxers in LFM

SpartanKiller13

We fairly regularly have peeps bring a bot into raids; as long as all their loot goes up for roll I'm fine with it (no auto-passing to your main) and often you get bard song that way which is pretty great :D

Honestly, many of the people with bard alts parked at cap are about as useful as a bot thereon, so might as well have them on their main and still get songs :)