Multiboxing

I do DB sometimes but more out of need than anything else. I play mostly in a small group or as of late due to RL, as a duo. If our gaming hours not align, then I (or my mate) have to either play something else, play with another toon, or suck it up and move two toons.

Also lvl'd up a buffing bard using another friend's account to have parked at epic levels and as an opener for some quests.

But in either case I let people know there's a dummy PC on the group if I open an LFM and try to limit the duo runs in quests easy to get to (like sharn 1 and 2, medusa, etc).

ProllyDidItWrong

I diidn't know there was an autofollow or pass through targeting in DDO? Without those two features multiboxing is a PIA. Might as well get some gold seal hires and call it a day.

vryxnr

I diidn't know there was an autofollow or pass through targeting in DDO? Without those two features multiboxing is a PIA. Might as well get some gold seal hires and call it a day.
Built in to ddo, no. There is a program that allows you to do so... a while back it was being discussed and iirc cordo said that it depends on how it is used, as per my previous mention of the devs stance from the old forums, which is essentially: If you use it to follow yourself (thus your own keyboard strokes are resulting in the following/movement) it is fine, but if you use it to follow someone else (thus it is not your own keyboard strokes causing the movement) then it is potentially against ToS / not allowed (might result in action against your account if caught using it in this way).

Ostwind-Cannith

I'm a pretty self absorbed person. very much about myself in a totally narcissistic way. that said, one thing I'll never understand about this game is when people complain about what other players are doing. it's not like its PVP or some sort of competition. I like running with people playing broken overpowered characters because they get through quests faster and I can sit here and drink my latte without doing anything but following and level up at a ridiculous rate. used to run with a guy who complained that he wasn't getting enough kills. he's like those nimrods that complain about broken overpowered abilities and classes that inevitably lead to nerfage. I unfriended him for being a dbag. so, again, if someone is running alts it doesn't impact you so why are you worried about it? now lets get back to talking about how great I am.

Last edited:

GrayJedi AntiProPaladin

some players find it a fun way to play this way too, they want to do all the things - do the healing, sing the songs, cast the DPS spells, cast the instakills, melee down the mobs, disable the traps, open the locked chests/doors

some days I like to play controlling just 1 and join with Guildies and other groups

some days I like to play controlling all of the roles in the party

both are Fun for me

there's a fairly recent D&D game that garnered hella Top Awards in which 1 player controls all the characters in a party: Baldur's Gate 3
and DDO (& LOTRO) allows/supports this playstyle as long as one doesn't break any TOS

Last edited:

ChaoticDrivel

I am against multiboxing. It invariably leads to invalidating aspects of the game, as designed. DDO is no exception. And this is a big deal, to my mind.

It's happened in every MMO I've played. No surprise that the ones that were more vigilant about disallowing it - had better economies, better balance, and better communities.

Reading through the thread - I can understand the perspectives of those who do use them though.

And I want to say that I appreciate those folks who actually mention in the LFM, or in party chat that they are boxing. As well as those who are willing to kick their boxed toon, in favour of a real person.

Sarlona Raiding

Alot of people solo level and group for raids and R10s. But even with R10s alot of content gets skipped because people are mostly farming rxp with the easier and faster quests.

When solo-leveling I'll usually use a dual box buffing bard - have them at all level ranges and keep them parked without leveling them up. If I am grouping while leveling I don't use a dual box unless with someone I know that is ok with it.

For group raids I don't even consider bringing dual boxes except a few fringe cases where we are short-manning and others are also bringing their dual boxes. I do solo raid with dual boxes but mostly easy stuff - vod, hound, tempest spine, fire on thunder peak, etc and some epic raids for tokens, mats and collectibles (never seem to have enough of the epic level mats). It's a way to get threads, runes and sparks on my alt accounts mostly.

For level cap end game reapers I like to group with guildies to 3-man R10s, but there has been alot less interest in it lately as people are busy with real life so I've been soloing more or running with guildies that prefer mid skulls to R10. When I solo I bring 5 alts to add reaper points to some of my raiding alts on other accounts - and to have a better chance at items with reaper bonuses. 75 fragment is alot, but changing my odds to x6 does help quite a bit.

R4 is kind of my netflix binge watching default, but I often will go R6 and with the multi-year beefing up of melees I have been working on making R8 my new solo level but it's a work in progress - some quests are easier than others for that. For me R8 now feels like R4 did when reaper was a new thing.

As for people that have issues with courteous dual boxing (not bring them to raids, public groups, etc.) - its' their issue entirely as the argument against solo dual boxing has no real merit other than typical salty complainers that dislike everything that doesn't match their way of thinking.

The positives are obvious - it has to generate more profits for SSG and increase player spend. It allows people to adjust when friends and guildies aren't available and even for shortmanning - I enjoy shortmanning with others that are bringing dual boxes. People that want to run with me while dual boxing typically make out like bandits as I pass them all the loot without reaper bonuses.

Dual boxing is just a way for people to solve problems that would otherwise make the game less fun. In general I think people that are problem solvers rather than complainers enjoy this game more and progress better.

Lyrin

Eberron Scholar
When I was home sick for a couple days I boxed my Fiance. Her computer is right next to mine, so I just had her mouse and keyboard in easy reach.

I was only boxing one toon, and I was more than capable of blazing solo. I posted with her, but I always asked permission before joining someone else while boxing her.

I generally don't have a problem with it, as long as it doesn't slow things down significantly.

SquireZed

I feel like the problems with multi-boxing aren't really people multi-boxing, it's people doing bad behavior while multi-boxing (inconveniencing other party members, not disclosing that they're multi-boxing in LFMs, etc.). I don't multi-box partly because I've never seen the interest- I suppose for named drops there's an advantage but I've never felt the need, personally, to manage two characters in exchange for more named loot.

I think most of this just comes down to some people being disrespectful of other people. If I was in a group with 3 players and no additional players were joining at any point, I wouldn't mind carrying a boxed character through, as long as people asked first. But if I join a full party and half of the party is some dude's alts standing around doing nothing, I'd feel like it's a waste of my time and effort to carry someone through the dungeon (might be worth reexamining if they offered to pass loot or used them for buffing- that's a possibly legitimate use of multi-boxing in a group setting, but I mean just standing by the door).

DDO is a cooperative game, and so I don't really mind what other people do unless it negatively impacts the gameplay of others. Filling up LFMs (especially without letting people know what you're doing) with a bunch of door babysitters probably counts as negatively impacting gameplay.

Sarandra

If it doesn't impact me, I mind my own business. I don't care what other people do in the privacy of their own dungeons. ;)
Rumour has it that the multiboxing with auto follow got us some serious nerfs recently. So there's the impact, and it's not minor if you ask me.

It's totally weak that SSG allows this.

Dielzen

Rumour has it that the multiboxing with auto follow got us some serious nerfs recently. So there's the impact, and it's not minor if you ask me.

It's totally weak that SSG allows this.
Even if this is what partially (or completely) led to the EA nerf, it was seriously needed. When an option is so strong it's virtually mandatory, then it's not an option any longer. MB or not, it was just too strong.

I run up to 3 accounts sometimes. it's tedious, gives me a headache, and it slows me down a decent amount. The only gain is buffs and loot pullers.