New store interface feedback

Ahpuch

Do people like the new store interface and am I alone in finding clunky? The store interface has some improvements but over all appears worse than the previous implementation.

• The special on the right takes up useful space and is useless once you have purchased or determined that you don't want to purchase the special.
  • Listing items in tiles is awkward as you now need to scan both left/right and up/down to find the item you want as opposed to a list that you can just scroll up/down.
  • The tiles seem large and clunky and waste space. Personally I dislike the size of the icons. Icons may help to distinguish between different items (ie an XP Pot vs a hireling) but that level of identification is handled by the sub category and filter. A page of 15 identical XP pots does not help. A page of 15 hireling images doesn't help as I don't know what the level 12 cleric looks like to differentiate it from the level 11 cleric.
  • History no longer appears to include favor granted points.
  • Not certain why adding to favorites takes so long and needs a progress bar?
  • Overall the new interface seems clunky and dated. The old nested menus had issues but you drilled down to what you wanted in the menu. Now you select a category go to the top center and pick a sub category and then filter. It seems like more mousing around to find things.

On the positive
  • Hirelings are now sorted.

CBDunk

The 'Show unsuitable items' toggle doesn't seem to do anything for me. I get exactly the same list of options either way.

Store still hides SOME 'one time only' items (e.g. storage boosts) which I have already purchased, while continuing to show others (e.g. stat and racial tomes).

I agree that the tiles seem huge, but generally find the interface slightly easier to use and 'prettier' than the old one. Six of one, half dozen of the other really. The old store was acceptable... so is the new one.

GolargoSturdyfeet

Warning: dont right click in store, very bad will kick to character selection screen, but still in game. Locking the game up. I just did it again and locked my computer up. Come on devs what the hell? :mad:

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
I took a very quick/casual look at it. It kinda has a chonky/PlaySkool feel to it, but that's off of my mildly foggy recollection.. Hoping to take a deeper look and will update my $.02

-edit- After messing with it a bit more, I take back the PlaySkool comment (that wasn't very nice). The chonky comment still sticks though! So yeah I do feel like the sizing is still weird on the fonts and images? The fonts almost seem fuzzy?

Last edited:

Cordovan

Community Manager
Warning: dont right click in store, very bad will kick to character selection screen, but still in game. Locking the game up. I just did it again and locked my computer up. Come on devs what the hell? :mad:
I have not been able to reproduce this, on either the in-game or external browser version of the store. Right clicking just displays a standard Chrome style element to inspect and such.

T.O.

I think the smallest size setting is to big. Would be nice if there was a smaller option. However over all I don't mind the new look. I like that the history is actually functional for searching. When I went off VIP at the end of 2019. I was still VIP so I couldn't see what packs I needed. At that point I had to go back 4 years from that last time I bought packs.

Looking back on ten years of what I bought in the store is easy now. And some good laughs at. I bought that? What a noob. lol

Karadon

Old Paladin
I tested three different PCs. Logged into the game, into a character and right clicked in the store.

On my Windows 10 (64bit) installation there was no unexpected issues. It just brought up"chrome style element to inspect" as @Cordovan saw.

On Windows 10 (32bit). Right clicking in the store caused my game to minimise and display the web element over the desktop. My cursors change to ingame ones like target, speak to NPCs etc. It's very wierd.
Clicking on the game's taskbar Icon does not return to the game. Accessing Task manager then clicking on the desktop icon after that rights the game again.

On my Windows 11 (64bit) right clicking on the store sends me to the Character select screen with the back, forward, Print, view page source buttons visible. I needed to click on Task manager, close task manager and alt tab back to DDO before I saw the game world again. I tried this again and this time it behaved as the 32bit client on Win 10 as above.

The lock up exists and will require some CTRL+ALT+DELETE / Task Manager / ALT+TAB shenanigans to right itself but nothing major.

Kimbere

I tested three different PCs. Logged into the game, into a character and right clicked in the store.

On my Windows 10 (64bit) installation there was no unexpected issues. It just brought up"chrome style element to inspect" as @Cordovan saw.

On Windows 10 (32bit). Right clicking in the store caused my game to minimise and display the web element over the desktop. My cursors change to ingame ones like target, speak to NPCs etc. It's very wierd.
Clicking on the game's taskbar Icon does not return to the game. Accessing Task manager then clicking on the desktop icon after that rights the game again.

On my Windows 11 (64bit) right clicking on the store sends me to the Character select screen with the back, forward, Print, view page source buttons visible. I needed to click on Task manager, close task manager and alt tab back to DDO before I saw the game world again. I tried this again and this time it behaved as the 32bit client on Win 10 as above.

The lock up exists and will require some CTRL+ALT+DELETE / Task Manager / ALT+TAB shenanigans to right itself but nothing major.
You looking for a job? Maybe SSG could hire you to teach them how to QC their changes?

FaustianBargain

Not at home right now to test, but were you in windowed or full screen mode? I’ve had crash problems before in full screen mode when I inadvertently toggled to a new window.

Ellisaria

I'm not sure if it's a matter of just being something "new" to get used to, but navigation has been hit-and-miss so far. The layout reminds me of some mobile game shops (Summoner's War comes to mind): cartoony with lots of frills, movement, and eye-popping colors...or just eyestrain. The new store has really been straining my eyes: particularly the sales page. Between the red stickers everywhere with difficult to see orange text on them, huge icons, and hard to focus on white text of the items themselves. I wouldn't mind being able to change the white font to another color (or change icon size) to see if that would help. Put me in the "eh" camp overall, but I'll definitely spend less time on a web page if I'm going to be walking away after 7-10 minutes of browsing due to a headache :(

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
@GolargoSturdyfeet are you using Fullscreen or Fullscreen Windowed?
Sometimes using Fullscreen locks me in or out the game screen. So, I always use Windowed to switch tabs when necessary.

I have not been able to reproduce this, on either the in-game or external browser version of the store. Right clicking just displays a standard Chrome style element to inspect and such.
@Cordovan have you tried reproduce in both Full screen and Windowed mode? Maybe could be it.

Cordovan

Community Manager
I've been able to repro the right-clicking issue, although to date it hasn't caused a formal client crash. In one instance I had to re-access the executible from the windows task bar, this was when I was in Full Screen. I don't think the OS particularly matters, but your default browser option might. We'll be looking into it.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Not able to see certain items outside my level range (like diamonds for example) regardless of the "show unsuitable items" switch.

Sylla

yea, the new store is a bummer and feels very dated/clunky. Not an improvement i was hoping for.

What i was really hoping for, besides visual/interface, was to clear the store of useless/noob trap items like: weapons, armor, anti-beholder/lesser anti-beholder crystal (make it one item and clarify what it does properly) and many more...

theres little reason to have buff potions like lesser restoration, or arrows etc in the store. People can buy it in every corner of the game for a few gold pieces... sure once in a red moon time, some player buys it when he realizes he forgot to buy it in the middle of the quest... i get it, but it leaves very bad impression to have a freaking heavy armor and bastard sword+2 in the shop...

imagine new player opening the store, before he leaves the Khortos, and he goes: "Ah, so this is even worse than Genshin Impact."
While the armors, weapons and half of the buffs are a noob trap baits...

Edit: oh and as others said... it shows stuff i already own, cosmetic hanger/show on character is not even planned as far as i know... bleh

Melkizadek

I have spent some time with new store now and here is my feedback.
  1. I want to see more icons per page. It took me 5 minutes just to click the little scroll right arrow to get through all 91 sale items. If there is a way to do it, I cant find it. I play in 1440p and can fit 7 items across my full screen in the store.
  2. The scroll right arrow is VERY close to the purchase button. My very first experience with the new store was a moment of horror thinking I had spent 3200 points on something I didn't want just trying to peruse what was on sale.
  3. I agree with Ellisaria that the colors are a bit straining.
  4. I do feel like I am able to find what I am looking for in the new store a little bit easier than before.
  5. I really hate the recommended item that displays on the right of the screen... completely unnecessary and ugly.
  6. I am still seeing items that SHOULD not be available for my character to purchase. I think I understand the reasoning for this, but I was hoping a new store endeavor would be able to resolve this at least a little. I want to be able to see what my CHARACTER needs, not what I could purchase for my account. Here are just a few I have noticed so far.
    • Menace of the Underdark
    • Shadowfell Conspiracy
    • Favored Soul
    • ALL of the Tomes (including tomes of learning)
    • Monster Manual 1
  7. I don 't think that the show unavailable items button at the top does anything for me?

Last edited: