Open r1

Xgya

Given being able to open harder difficulties on a first life character is one of the few perks still available to VIPs, I wouldn't recommend taking that away from them.

If you really think it's a potentially valuable perk, go VIP while that Hardcore season lasts!

Vox

I'm for open difficulties on HC for all players. I'd speculate it's shard rolls & store buys that make money on hardcore, not a short VIP sub to cover the season.

VIP has almost zero value since the free quest back codes anyway.

Over the last TWENTY updates (since Update 46, released on Thursday, April 23rd, 2020), VIP's have given 'free' access to 4x quest packs:
- lost gatekeepers
- peril of the planar eyes
- hunter & hunted
- grip of the hidden hand

Four adventure packs in three and a half years.

The last free quest code happened on March 23rd this year and included everything except grip of the hidden hand.

That means VIP's got 'free' access to a single quest pack

rabidfox

The People's Champion
On HC I assume it makes some money for them to force at least one person in a party to be VIP so they don't suffer thru the n/h runs to unlock e/r+. On live, I think it leads to a meh experience for new/returning players that may find normal very boring with modern power bloat (I'm sure some people find normal okay too). I could see some people trying VIP as a result while others might just bail from the game entirely. But I don't know SSG's behind scenes player data to know what is what. Also, vets with 2+ TRs have zero use for that VIP unlock perk outside HC. I personally would rather difficulties be available to everyone and VIP to be based around different perks (or have them to sell a perma-unlock in point store) . But without knowing SSG $$$ makers, I couldn't guess if that'd ever happen.

DDO Gaming

SSG welcomes all gamers willing to invest in subscriptions to overcome those irritating barriers like...having to run both normal and hard modes to openup elite/reaper

Archest

SSG welcomes all gamers willing to invest in subscriptions to overcome those irritating barriers like...having to run both normal and hard modes to openup elite/reaper
it leads to the problem of whos group is it anyway. and if your going to ignore opts cause you have all the equipment and plat you need and do not consider the other players needs to wit the better chest reward are in elite.

DDO Gaming

it leads to the problem of whos group is it anyway. and if your going to ignore opts cause you have all the equipment and plat you need and do not consider the other players needs to wit the better chest reward are in elite.
then you create a guild and invite likeminded gamers by posting invites on all the servers (if you;re playing on HC).

Onyxia2016

I have a VIP account so I am not at the mercy of finding someone to open elite or R+
I would think the easiest answer is to just buy a sub for the duration of HC.

Archest

easiest answer is not to play hc, actually the best answer is for HC to be as it is, able to open on r1 in order to skip the normal and hard levels. its a timed event and the easiest solution is to throw more money at it? as well with ransacking I'm not sure if the chance to get an actual elite named item goes down if you do normal then hard before getting the elite chest. as well is it necessary to do them 24 hrs apart to get the highest chance for items as the extra xp for 1st time play is also a consideration.

Last edited:

DDO Gaming

easiest answer is not to play hc, actually the best answer is for HC to be as it is, able to open on r1 in order to skip the normal and hard levels. its a timed event and the easiest solution is to throw more money at it
SSG is a business that seeks simple easy-to-implement opportunities to generate more revenue. HC is a very easy to implement way to generate more revenue and anyone heavily invested in hardcore really should think about investing in VIP, xp potions and learning tomes etc to quickly levelup

DDO Gaming

Agreed hardcore should ONLY be available@ reaper levels BUT...elsewhere I was informed not everyone wants to play reaper on hardcore.

(what's the point of playing hardcore if not @reaper...)

popejubal

Agreed hardcore should ONLY be available@ reaper levels BUT...elsewhere I was informed not everyone wants to play reaper on hardcore.

(what's the point of playing hardcore if not @reaper...)
It's okay for different people to want different things.

Reactions: DJH

DDO Gaming

Actually one alternative to R11 (one death and you;re out) is for SSG to invite all gamers to transfer all their top characters to hardcore without charge to play reaper knowing...one death and you're out

Onyxia2016

easiest answer is not to play hc, actually the best answer is for HC to be as it is, able to open on r1 in order to skip the normal and hard levels. its a timed event and the easiest solution is to throw more money at it?

I see your point. Not playing HC is an option.
But in game as in life, most often the easiest solution is to throw money at it.
So long as there is a path to unlock the levels, I see nothing wrong in what SSG is doing.
If you want to circumvent this, well then there is a cost involved.

I guess it comes down to how frustrated you are at the situation vs the cost of VIP.
I do not see SSG waving the open hard/elite/reaper lockout.

Personally I do not care. I will continue to have a VIP account either way.
In fact my wife and I both have VIP accounts. Yes, only one of us needs it to open quests. but we like helping support the game in some small way.

Onyxia2016

Actually one alternative to R11 (one death and you;re out) is for SSG to invite all gamers to transfer all their top characters to hardcore without charge to play reaper knowing...one death and you're out
I could see that being an interesting time but I think it would be very limited in participation.

popejubal

hardcore is hardcore and only has one meaning. you're not going to learn how to make new york cheesecake playing DDO
SSG decided to let people play on C/N/H/E/R1-10 on the Hardcore server. They also called the new stacking bonus effects we can add to items "curses", so it's pretty clear that words can mean different things when SSG uses them.

Also, I have now updated my main character's bio to have a recipe for New York cheesecake, so you can now learn how to make New York cheesecake playing DDO.