Open r1

Onyxia2016

This is incorrect, elite is the max Favor you can get from a quest.

You do get more XP than running it once on elite, is that what you meant?

That was always my understanding and even the wiki says that you get no favor for repeats at or below the highest difficulty you've run.
I however have noticed that is not true. A few lives ago I ran a quest a few times and notice my favor increased a few point after each run.
I thought that strange so I did it again but this item I completely exited the game between runs as I know sometimes favor reward don't always show up right away. The same thing occurred. I got a few favor point for each subsequent run.

I assumed a change happened and the wiki was just our of date. Never really gave it much thought after that. Now I will need to test again to see it it was a glitch/bug.

Coffey

I have never liked the transition of the paywall to HCL. It doesnt work the same obviously and should be changed. I would not play HCL if i could not afford VIP to open on Elite/Reaper.

Sturmbb

I have never liked the transition of the paywall to HCL. It doesnt work the same obviously and should be changed. I would not play HCL if i could not afford VIP to open on Elite/Reaper.
You do realize, that when Hardcore was first introduced it was for VIP's only. I believe Season 3 onward's is when they opened it up to the general public. So SSG have already given something to Non-VIPS, which is access to Hardcore. It's a amazing how free this game is and how you can build DDO points up to buy the content. There is a lot of games out there were you have to buy micro transactions to go further into the game. Heck Even expansions are now offered to be bought by points. (after they have been in the market for a length of time).

Coffey

You do realize, that when Hardcore was first introduced it was for VIP's only. I believe Season 3 onward's is when they opened it up to the general public. So SSG have already given something to Non-VIPS, which is access to Hardcore. It's a amazing how free this game is and how you can build DDO points up to buy the content. There is a lot of games out there were you have to buy micro transactions to go further into the game. Heck Even expansions are now offered to be bought by points. (after they have been in the market for a length of time).
Some people cant pay $ for VIP and should not have to be reliant on others to open for them. That is the new starting point IMO.

VIPs are gaining benefits beyond this that can help them in HCL. If you are someone who missed the yearly content giveaways you still need VIP if you dont own enough content to compete.

Premium players have paid with both time and money and should be treated with respect and courtesy but in this case they are not.

Frieling Slyhand

Some people cant pay $ for VIP and should not have to be reliant on others to open for them. That is the new starting point IMO.

VIPs are gaining benefits beyond this that can help them in HCL. If you are someone who missed the yearly content giveaways you still need VIP if you dont own enough content to compete.

Premium players have paid with both time and money and should be treated with respect and courtesy but in this case they are not.
We have had a lot of conversation on here and the Devs appeared to agree, that with give away codes for content that used to be accessible only to VIP, the value of VIP has degraded. HCL is an exception. If someone is F2P, they can still do HCL, but they are going to need an opener. It's an MMO and that means making friends, so expecting them to either sub or find friends to open is completely reasonable. And to take away more value from VIP would see a larger number of sub cancellations.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband

1. Premium players are being treated exactly the same on HC as on live. Tell me where the difference is.

2. You can become premium by spending $5 (or used to be able to, the starter pack is no longer available) and unlock literally everything else in the game by simply playing the game.

And you think it's 'fair' to give premium/FTP something that is explicitly only available if you are VIP?

Again, Hard no.

Coffey

We have had a lot of conversation on here and the Devs appeared to agree, that with give away codes for content that used to be accessible only to VIP, the value of VIP has degraded. HCL is an exception. If someone is F2P, they can still do HCL, but they are going to need an opener. It's an MMO and that means making friends, so expecting them to either sub or find friends to open is completely reasonable. And to take away more value from VIP would see a larger number of sub cancellations.
They should increase the value of VIP then cancelations would not be as much of an issue.

1. Premium players are being treated exactly the same on HC as on live. Tell me where the difference is.

2. You can become premium by spending $5 (or used to be able to, the starter pack is no longer available) and unlock literally everything else in the game by simply playing the game.

And you think it's 'fair' to give premium/FTP something that is explicitly only available if you are VIP?

Again, Hard no.
HCL is different than playing on the regular servers. Premium can run PLs and gain difficulty opening options there.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I'm of the view that the n/h/e unlock mechanic is a dated system that reflects the current state of the game poorly. I've dealt the new and returning players on discord who found normal (and often hard) boring and too easy (not a surprise given power bloat); and the idea of having to run every quest multiple times to get to a reasonable level of difficulty turned them off. They also found r1 leveling groups where people zerg to not be of interest when getting their bearings. And needing to form a party with others that will do elite while someone learns and explores quests is hard to come by. They also didn't want to pay for VIP in a game they hadn't decided they wanted to invest in yet or not. Only SSG knows how many people don't stick around because of this and where the value for their profit is best served; I certainly don't know.

I'd also greedily want n/h/e unlocks myself for hardcore; but I'd be willing to pay for an account-wide unlock the same way I payed for FvS, enhancement trees, 32-point builds, etc.

Coffey

I'm of the view that the n/h/e unlock mechanic is a dated system that reflects the current state of the game poorly. I've dealt the new and returning players on discord who found normal (and often hard) boring and too easy (not a surprise given power bloat); and the idea of having to run every quest multiple times to get to a reasonable level of difficulty turned them off. They also found r1 leveling groups where people zerg to not be of interest when getting their bearings. And needing to form a party with others that will do elite while someone learns and explores quests is hard to come by. They also didn't want to pay for VIP in a game they hadn't decided they wanted to invest in yet or not. Only SSG knows how many people don't stick around because of this and where the value for their profit is best served; I certainly don't know.

I'd also greedily want n/h/e unlocks myself for hardcore; but I'd be willing to pay for an account-wide unlock the same way I payed for FvS, enhancement trees, 32-point builds, etc.
The unlock mechanic doesnt translate well to HCL so VIP only access is done in poor taste here.

Were the unlock mechanics added when they went F2P or when they added PLs to the game?

Archest

as premium player our value is inconsistent with the game model.
VIP is the model most advantageous to new players as the Premium adventure packs with expansions are far more costly than just a VIP subscription.
I wont pay more to play in Hardcore and I wont play at a disadvantage.
I dont play SSG doesn't make the money for the points I spend in the store.

Last edited:

Kasanje

YouTube Creator
I'm just grateful that F2P can play on HC. I like that HC is a single server with a concentrated player base. I don't think I've had too many occurrences where there wasn't a party doing a quest I needed. It has happened, but not often.

Sturmbb

What other benefits does VIP give me (see my previous post. If they did away with Test your skills benefit (and made opening elite available to premium), I think many people would unsubscribe to VIP. Don't you want to support the game. Without Money, SSG would go under and DDO would have to close shop. Is this what you really want? At the end of the day, games / Companies have to make money otherwise the companies go under and the game ceases development. I for one hope the game lasts for a good while longer.

Say, if they did away with this benefit, which would make many people unsubscribe (especially people like me that has bought all the content and only mainly plays on Hardcore). What other benefits do you think SSG should introduce to ensure the subscription numbers don't drop.

Personally i think this is a fantastic revenue stream for SSG. Both Hardcore and allowing VIP Elite access.

Lazuli

Exactly, it is an outdated system that reflected the mentality of when MMOs began to open up to the free to pay system, which was basically "yes, you will play for free, but you will be a third-rate player." The current mentality is more to encourage spending in the form of positive reinforcement than to punish those who do not want to be subscribers (and it works really well, if you look at modern examples) SSG has to stop putting obstacles in the way of retaining new players.

The opening in elite is one of the things that puts new people off the most. VIP needs better perks, yes, since it is also something that has been outdated and unreviewed for many years. But the elite opening should not be a VIP perk. Player retention must be encouraged, whether new or returning.

Archest

not talking about live server open elite for premium players.
Talking about open HC server for Reaper level or higher unless you dont want reaper level then you have to open normal hard elite as usual.
but the opportunity to open r1 without having to open normal or hard 1st on the Hardcore server only.
since the server is wiped after the EVENT is over.
since the EVENT raise's more revenue then a live server from purchasing augments and such.
because everyone starts at level 1 no life and nothing is transferred to the server no bank access to storage.
the EVENT is timed.
would like to see crafting xp max for everyone as well since you still need to collect mats to craft.
paying for crafting xp and not reaping any of the rewards afterword's from the expense.
i guess you could use this 1st life toon to craft with afterword's but not likely when you already have a crafting toon .
there are other issues too regarding shard transfers and guild ship expenses.
possible preset guild ships for Hardcore of some type.
who gets something for nothing? not premium players at all....

Last edited:

Onyxia2016

The way HC and VIP is setup has been in place for many years/season and only now it is an issue?
Even if SSG were to make it so that everyone is a VIP on HC, other than the convenience of opening elite/r+ what do you really get?

Unless you are willing to dump a boat load of real money into HC you are never going to be top of the leaderboards.
Lets face it is you can not, will not pay for two months of VIP you certainly are not going to spend hundreds of dollars to keep up the streamers which is a business expense for them usually.

So other than the leaderboards, what else it there, oh the rewards which are all obtainable during the event, even if you have to run the quest three times. Yes it is a "Timed Event" but there is plenty of time. This all comes down to convenience. A convenience that VIP offers.

Being a FTP or Premium account has nothing to do with it. That is just spin in an attempt to justify the request for this convenience.

If you are F2P, you have access to HC, nothing more. That is the same as any other server.
If you are Premium you have access to all the content you purchased and nothing more.

Should they change it so F2P on HC have access to all the new content (IoD, Saltmarsh, Feywild, Sharn, Vecna) that Premium accounts paid for?
Wouldn't it be fair to let these F2P account run that content that Premium accounts paid for? And before you say, Well they got a coupon to give them stuff I paid for. Yes, but we are talk some ancient packs that anyone that bought them when they first came out have more than got their money's worth out of. I am referring to the last five released.

I do not see F2P account holders complaining that Premium accounts have something they do not.

popejubal

The way HC and VIP is setup has been in place for many years/season and only now it is an issue?
Even if SSG were to make it so that everyone is a VIP on HC, other than the convenience of opening elite/r+ what do you really get?
People ask for this every single Hardcore season. If you think it shouldn't happen, that's fine. But "Onyxia didn't notice these requests before" doesn't mean this is only suddenly now an issue.

People have been asking for a way to purchase account wide "open on Elite" access for years now. We've even been saying that we'd happily pay big $ for it.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
People ask for this every single Hardcore season. If you think it shouldn't happen, that's fine. But "Onyxia didn't notice these requests before" doesn't mean this is only suddenly now an issue.

People have been asking for a way to purchase account wide "open on Elite" access for years now. We've even been saying that we'd happily pay big $ for it.
V. I. P.

Exactly what you just asked for.

Onyxia2016

Oh don't get me wrong. I think the pay for opening access is a great idea. That is not the issue here. It is the giving a VIP perk, of which there are very few, away for free.