Pets - Equipment Augment Slots

Fizban

This may have been discussed at some point but I've been curious.

When it comes to pets armor and collars there are some that have one or two augment slots in them. You can drop an augment of your choice in there but they don't show up in the item once equipped. Neither does the augment effect occur that I noticed.

Can anyone speak on this?

ACJ97F

When they "updated" augments, they broke it. Based on the record of fixing older issues, we're not holding
our breath that's ever getting addressed. It doesn't fall under the "shiny new thing to distract" requirement.

Pets being able to pull DC levers and runes was useful, so augments had decent use, until they "fixed" things.

Last edited:

Cheeps

Tired Member
If you do a TR and don't unequip the gear on the pet, you lose the gear and augments, right?

Or did this ever get fixed?

:unsure:

Aelonwy

That still happens unfortunately.

Unlike our gear, when we TR, the pet gear does not go in the TR cache from being equipped it simply ceases to be just like the pet. But it is always safer to unequip our gear as well and have it in our inventory or bank when TRing as anything equipped seems to give the game indigestion and cause hiccups. So play it safe, unequip yourself and pet before TR.

Fizban

Thank you folks for the comments. I figured this was a known issue and pending a fix down the road.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
Yeah, it's an incomplete system. Besides not all pets have item slots either and some have been nerfed into the ground (arti dog). I think pets/familiars were once one of those great class features that could have added a lot of flavor to things, as an optional, but now it's just something to have follow you around and perhaps take a few hits before it keels over. There were a lot of suggestions at one point for arcane caster familiars, never happened though, alternate arty pet appearances, never happened. . .being able to customize your skeleton as a pale, never happened. To be honest, I don't believe the developers know how to make these options or get them to work in a balanced manner, or even set them up to work correctly.
Probably best to just view them as a random cosmetic now that will die in a dungeon for the most part.

seph1roth5

It's some janky ass code in that, even though it looks like your pet has gear slots, and you put normal gear in them, that's just not how it works at all.

cdbd3rd

Unlike our gear, when we TR, the pet gear does not go in the TR cache from being equipped it simply ceases to be just like the pet. ...

One of those special things some of us learn the hard way. One of so many things.

Onyxia2016

There is something strange going on for sure. I played a Dark Hunter last life and the wolf was using Barovian handwraps that I crafted into a collar. I forgot to unequip it when I TR'ed. No big deal, it is easy to replace but I was shocked when I found it in my inventory. I have only ever crafted one and I am pretty sure they do not drop as a collar. I did not have any augments as I know that is bugged. Not sure it that played any part.

I assumed it had gotten fixed and I just missed the announcement. Now I am starting to wonder if it is some kind of hit or miss situation.
I would continue to unequip just to be on the safe side.

Speed

When it comes to pets armor and collars there are some that have one or two augment slots in them. You can drop an augment of your choice in there but they don't show up in the item once equipped. Neither does the augment effect occur that I noticed.

I did some more tests: https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/collars-do-not-work-on-druid-wolf-companions.5558/
Conclusion is that on hit effects and augments (even passive and after pet restart) seem to not work, but some passive effects are fine (at least on character sheet).

The Narc

It is not fixed, if you still have old gear with the old augments in them they still work, for example heavy fortification augments.

Lazuli

If you do a TR and don't unequip the gear on the pet, you lose the gear and augments, right?

Or did this ever get fixed?

:unsure:
In the last year I have TR my druid several times and the pet collar appeared in the TR cache after the TR. I can't tell you if it's fixed, but if it's lost, it's not something that happens universally.

Dendrix Deathblade

Unlike our gear, when we TR, the pet gear does not go in the TR cache from being equipped it simply ceases to be just like the pet. But it is always safer to unequip our gear as well and have it in our inventory or bank when TRing as anything equipped seems to give the game indigestion and cause hiccups. So play it safe, unequip yourself and pet before TR.

Wrong. When you TR your equipped pet gear goes into the TR Cache.

popejubal

All the pets are pretty neat up through level 5. Skeleton is good for a decent while longer. None of them are good for more than pulling levers/opening trapped doors once the content actually starts to get a little hard.