Purchase I regret

Drunken.dx

Ultimate Saltmarsh

I bought it only so I had permanent gold seal lockpicker and, while heroic Froggo can unlock locks in high heroics if he's a bit boosted, problem is that WAY TO MANY locks are outside his interaction radius.

Way to often you can't get him to interact with locks, which is, in my case his MAIN purpose, MAIN reason I bought that pack.

You are talking about "fiscal irresponsibility" while cheating people who support you out of their money.

this would be akin to selling someone a car that sometimes can't accelerate properly, for the most part it works normally, but occasionally it does not and we all know what happens when company sells defective car line. (they get recalled)

worst part is that this would be easy fix by just letting locks have increased interaction radius like traps have, I never had issue getting Froggo to interact with traps, yes sometimes he triggers trap by stepping on it. but main part is he INTERACTS with it, and if his skill is enough disables it, with locks you can forget it because he can't even interact with it.

TBH I'd ask for refund on my Salthmarsh purchase, and get just basic one, if I believed it would pass.

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
That happens with all rogue hirelings sadly.
You can get around it by teleporting him to the right place, stopping him there, moving around so he turns around to face you (and the target lock). Almost all locks can be done, it takes a lot of playing around and even more patience.

AI in this game is really bad and hirelings are not excluded.

Onyxia2016

I almost bought the ultimate very of the expansion myself. Fortunately I got wind of Epic Frogo being all thumbs so I dropped back.
heroic Frogo does pretty good for many levels, if buffed fully.

So I dodged a bullet on that one. It has also left me very skeptical of buying any ultimate editions in the IoD and Vecna expansions. Instead I just got the base package for both.

PaleFox

For Frogo it might help to switch "wait for traps" to off? Also having a long light of sight so Frogo can choose his path helps.
Still, having to have him port onto some slab of stone is always a pain.

T.O.

Frogo won't at all pick the lock on the gate in Heart of Memory. I suspect it would be all rogue hirelings.
Properly boosted. Frogo can disable in early mid heroics. Darling is the same way though too. But again can disable into Epics.

PaleFox

On the ultimate editions, still waiting for a Rebate version of Feywild where I can turn in my lowest tier for the highest.

PaleFox

Frogo won't at all pick the lock on the gate in Heart of Memory. I suspect it would be all rogue hirelings.
Properly boosted. Frogo can disable in early mid heroics. Darling is the same way though too. But again can disable into Epics.
Yeah, no visual clue or feedback on unpickable locks for hires once you give that command is a problem, I'd even settle for a general chatline "sorry, can't comply" for that.

T.O.

Yeah, no visual clue or feedback on unpickable locks for hires once you give that command is a problem, I'd even settle for a general chatline "sorry, can't comply" for that.
The lock is pickable by a player. Hirelings just don't know what to do with the gate

adamkatt

The lock is pickable by a player. Hirelings just don't know what to do with the gate
Yup, its a mini game in itself getting rogue hires in just that right spot for some traps.. as for that gate i dont think its coded in a way a hire can see it. But i personally like having as many hires as i can get..

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
Hirelings are pretty annoying in general, and yes this lessens the value of the xpack hires considerably.

I do tend to use them as lever pullers if soloing/shortmanning, and I often have a stack of the DD hire in my bag.

In any case....

Blunt Hackett

I'm actually pretty impressed how long Frogo and Darling are capable of picking locks above their level with three druid past lives and a little buffing.

But yeah, Darling dies far too easily.

Toede

A lot of people are paying for the ultimate bundles specifically for the hirelings. I know that's the only reason I bought the ones I did, though I haven't purchased the rogues and I don't plan to. This effectively means these hirelings are upwards of 80 dollars and they under-perform. Yeah, yeah, yeah. You get other stuff too but let's be real here. Most people aren't paying 100-120 dollars for the dress up outfits, nor the upgrades like bank slots that they just could have purchased from the ddo store if they wanted them, and the tomes are also way overpriced but that's another topic.

I would also like to know why these hirelings don't just level with you since you a paying a premium for them. Let them be effective throughout the entire game no matter what level you are. No reason for two versions of the same hireling except $. Also sell these things separately rather than forcing people to pay for an overpriced expansion bundle to get them. If you were fairer with your pricing SSG you'd sell more product instead of looking like a cash grabby company to outsiders looking in.

Last edited:

Drunken.dx

Buyers remorse? With a SSG product? Must be the first time ever.
Actually it is first time I regretted spending money on DDO.

No purchase so far was something I regretted.

And as Toede said, only reason I purchased was for Frogo.

So SSG sold me defective product.

For example, I never regretted ultimate sharn purchase, because shield guardian works fine.

And Frogo works fine for interacting with traps, so fixing him to interact with locks in same way is not unreasonable

Blunt Hackett

Ultimate Saltmarsh

I bought it only so I had permanent gold seal lockpicker and, while heroic Froggo can unlock locks in high heroics if he's a bit boosted, problem is that WAY TO MANY locks are outside his interaction radius.

Way to often you can't get him to interact with locks, which is, in my case his MAIN purpose, MAIN reason I bought that pack.

You are talking about "fiscal irresponsibility" while cheating people who support you out of their money.

this would be akin to selling someone a car that sometimes can't accelerate properly, for the most part it works normally, but occasionally it does not and we all know what happens when company sells defective car line. (they get recalled)

worst part is that this would be easy fix by just letting locks have increased interaction radius like traps have, I never had issue getting Froggo to interact with traps, yes sometimes he triggers trap by stepping on it. but main part is he INTERACTS with it, and if his skill is enough disables it, with locks you can forget it because he can't even interact with it.

TBH I'd ask for refund on my Salthmarsh purchase, and get just basic one, if I believed it would pass.
You should be able to get him to work with some repositioning. After a while you can figure out intuitively what will work most of the time. I can always get him to work. Big caveat though, it really slows you down when he's at his worst and may take several tries.

If you have him positioned so he has to take a couple steps, but not a ton of steps, that seems to be the sweet spot in most cases. If he's being dumb when facing it, try having him face a different direction.

Lopnel

TBH i think the hireling are on strike. They get paid minimum wage and have not seen a raise in years.

For better control over hirelings post them stationary and passive somewhere safe in the area. On your adventures should you come a trap or a locked door position your self where you can interact with the device. Then summon your hireling to your location. Tell the hireling to remain in that position and interact with the device.
Even after this veteran way of using hirelings to do your bidding I have witnessed hireling just "go for it" and step out away from the device and right into the trap killing nearby party members. Please give the hirelings a raise cause they are fed up with their salary and wish to remain off mission.

Drunken.dx

You should be able to get him to work with some repositioning. After a while you can figure out intuitively what will work most of the time. I can always get him to work. Big caveat though, it really slows you down when he's at his worst and may take several tries.

If you have him positioned so he has to take a couple steps, but not a ton of steps, that seems to be the sweet spot in most cases. If he's being dumb when facing it, try having him face a different direction.
There are locks he won't interact with no matter the positioning (tested with more than 10 minutes of trying to position him)

One example has been mentioned (door in home of memory).

Another is locked levers in that underwater quest in feywild.
Or lever to get one message in cannith wilderness

He can unlock lever in that storm horns quest where you gather stuff for frost giant