Reaper Endgame centered Assassin

VinoeWhines

Ya the scroll part is only if you don't have enough points that you want to spend in getting Cocoon or Renewal, it actually now is a less than stellar option, with Heal Amp boosting heals to 400+HP where as before update it was 12-20HP a scroll

Lorm

[...]

• Whispers of Return. My experience as a melee player tells me that the red-named koprus are a big problem in R10, especially when playing solo. Since you can't CC them (as easily as the other orange korpus), your only chance of survival (if you don't have adequate defenses) is to avoid Mind Seeker. But predicting it in close combat is not the easiest thing in the world, as the trigger is very fast, and backing off in time is not so easy. Add a bit of lag, and you're done. Oh, right, lag has been fixed and is no longer a problem :ROFLMAO: In summary, the quest itself is not a big issue, but the boss can be painful. In any case, the shrine is within reach, so if you feel like completing it, you can.
movement and well timed cooldown abilities are your friends in that end-fight. while the animation is very short, it is not very difficult to dodge if you know what to look for - try jumping over your melee target for these short ques or circling tightly around the hitbox base.
I find the rotation of cc for the ads and timing my dodge cooldown abilities much more difficult than tearing down the kopru. an unfortunate champ spawn with the archers at 50% can become a real issue when you're not fast enough on the boss dps-

solid writeup - I like the verbose format, not a fan of buffed stats but apart from that very readable and good advice for all experience levels in the audience.

VinoeWhines

movement and well timed cooldown abilities are your friends in that end-fight. while the animation is very short, it is not very difficult to dodge if you know what to look for - try jumping over your melee target for these short ques or circling tightly around the hitbox base.
I find the rotation of cc for the ads and timing my dodge cooldown abilities much more difficult than tearing down the kopru. an unfortunate champ spawn with the archers at 50% can become a real issue when you're not fast enough on the boss dps-

solid writeup - I like the verbose format, not a fan of buffed stats but apart from that very readable and good advice for all experience levels in the audience.
Thanks for your input, was wondering if you could expand on Cooldown abilities and movement? Which ones are you using?

" rotation of cc for the ads" = is there a CC for End Boss or is this Orange Names?

I think the Tier V Shadow Dancers "feather fall is causing me to get hit as I float as a kite slowly when trying to jump over mobs, don't know if others experience this?
"circling tightly around the hitbox base" This I'd like to see if you'd have a video to see it done, since maybe my PC lags from what your seeing on your screen, to see how to improve my Game Options in Advance Graphics settings.

I seem to suffer from bad collision detection, that when I see my toon about 10-15 feet away from mobs swing, I get taken out and my soulstone wasn't where I was and see it a foot away from mob, when I knew I had passed mob by 10-15 feet from my jump.

How fast is your Boss DPS? Is this in Upper Reapers?(R10?) That is what I'm trying to focus on is fixing my DPS.
Are you using Fatesinger Epic Destiny to not experience Charisma Damage?

Thanks for your response.

Tronko

You can also probably get that from the Dark Gift of Drizlash, the Nine-Eyed Spider from amber temple for an hour long buff
Correct, you can also obtain the additional +2 profane by using the Amber buff, but personally, even though it only takes a couple of minutes, I would never do it... a +2 doesn't justify the boredom of repetitive farming every hour, at least for me.
Even the Great Taar Haak gift doesn't make much sense, considering that profane doublestrike is easy to slot.

VinoeWhines

Correct, you can also obtain the additional +2 profane by using the Amber buff, but personally, even though it only takes a couple of minutes, I would never do it... a +2 doesn't justify the boredom of repetitive farming every hour, at least for me.
Even the Great Taar Haak gift doesn't make much sense, considering that profane doublestrike is easy to slot.
Have you ever tried the self resurrection buff to see how it work?

Tronko

Have you ever tried the self resurrection buff to see how it work?
Hey! Considering that you lose the Dahlver-Nar gift when you exit the quest, I don't think it's useful ;)
Among all the quests in DDO, Amber has a quite troubled and rich storyline.
Originally, all buffs lasted for one hour and were not removed upon leaving the quest.
Among them, the one with the greatest impact on the game was Delban (hate-magnet) because it allowed for creative use of tanking and implementing different strategies (provided that the raid was completed within 60 minutes). The benefits were significant, of course, but there were also negative effects (for example, you couldn't drop the aggro).
In my opinion, it was a very interesting feature that added depth and allowed for experimenting with new things.
One day (in Dec 2020 iirc), the developers decided that Delban could no longer be used, and from then on, that gift was lost as soon as you exited the quest. A pity, in my opinion. Dahlver-Nar suffered the same fate.

Last edited:

Sarlona Raiding

The ability to assassinate two targets at once is a great advantage, and it deals higher damage against single targets. Vs groups, Lotus with stun upgrade and chains is solid.
Great build! The assassinate animation is slow enough that you can turn once you start the assassinate and often get a third target. Prior to the assassin pass many years ago I used to be able to assassinate 4, but something changed with that update preventing more than 3 unless there is something I am missing.

I am not sure assassin is still the top single-target dps build - I don't think it is, but it's still top tier and great for raiding.

I don't solo with it as much as I used to because it's a slower playstyle and less interesting to play since all the stealth-nerf changes that were made. However, I do find that even in reaper mode I can still play stealth in some cases by bluffing the reapers over to me before they activate mobs and killing them. But as you said solo dungeon clearing just works better with THF or any aoe style of play.

vyvy3369

I have similar feelings about TWF. If you're willing to give up your level 31 Feat you can use one of the Specialty feats to get most of the effectiveness with a secondary style. Lately I've been taking the actual TWF line for raids and THF specialty for general questing.

VinoeWhines

Great build! The assassinate animation is slow enough that you can turn once you start the assassinate and often get a third target. Prior to the assassin pass many years ago I used to be able to assassinate 4, but something changed with that update preventing more than 3 unless there is something I am missing.

I am not sure assassin is still the top single-target dps build - I don't think it is, but it's still top tier and great for raiding.

I don't solo with it as much as I used to because it's a slower playstyle and less interesting to play since all the stealth-nerf changes that were made. However, I do find that even in reaper mode I can still play stealth in some cases by bluffing the reapers over to me before they activate mobs and killing them. But as you said solo dungeon clearing just works better with THF or any aoe style of play.

What changed was the devs took away Double Strike, which took away OffHand Double Strike, thus loosing the ability to rarely get 4 Assassinates.

The Devs should bake in Strike Through to Assassin Tree (or maybe TWF) builds so that they can recoup, the ability that was removed for "Lag" purposes that really, visually didn't showcase much improvement.

Are you currently able to Assassinate 3? I seem to only get 2 at the most.
Is your Character Sheets Off Hand percentage 100% ? Double Strike % ?

Tronko

Are you currently able to Assassinate 3? I seem to only get 2 at the most.
I have never seen 3 (unless I remember incorrectly), always 2. I don't think offhand proc and doublestrike are relevant since you can assassinate two targets even using a single weapon with swf.

VinoeWhines

I have never seen 3 (unless I remember incorrectly), always 2. I don't think offhand proc and doublestrike are relevant since you can assassinate two targets even using a single weapon with swf.
I use to be able to Assassinate 3 and very, very rarely 4 before they removed Double Strike/Double Procs effects.
FreeToPlay just stated that they are able to Assassinate 3 mobs now( I only get 2 so far at most, even speccing in Strikethrough with Staff).

Offhand and Offhand Double Strike allowed you a second-second chance to get that 4th kill and almost(over 75% it seemed) to get 3 kills.
I also took advantage of it with Executioner Strike/Shot to improve the low 35% instakill Assassinate ability.

Yes Assassinate worked with SWF and you could only get 2 Assassinate at most. I use to sly my friend (who was a Fighter) and use my Epis SOS to Assassinate mobs with that Great Sword.
We both use to Dual Wield Vorpals (Kopesh) back in the day and enter Amrath quests and run through quests seeing who would end up on top with Vorpal Kills, was random but fun.

Tronko

Maybe I didn't explain myself well. I meant in the current game. In the past, many things were different. As for how the game is now, I don't think either double strike or offhand chance affect the number of targets. You can assassinate 2 targets both with two-weapon fighting and with a single weapon.

VinoeWhines

Maybe I didn't explain myself well. I meant in the current game. In the past, many things were different. As for how the game is now, I don't think either double strike or offhand chance affect the number of targets. You can assassinate 2 targets both with two-weapon fighting and with a single weapon.
Yes in the current game I'm only able to Assassinate to mobs at once but FreeToPlay is stating they can Assassinate 3, with moving from 1st to 3rd mob, and that is what I'm wondering how they are able to since it seems it got hard coded to just Assassinate 2 mobs for now, TWF or THF.

Shiz

Yes in the current game I'm only able to Assassinate to mobs at once but FreeToPlay is stating they can Assassinate 3, with moving from 1st to 3rd mob, and that is what I'm wondering how they are able to since it seems it got hard coded to just Assassinate 2 mobs for now, TWF or THF.
I previously issued a challenge for anyone to prove more than 3 assassinates, and no one was able to do so (and this was many years ago). What seemed to be happening, in every case, was 2 assassinates and 1 single-shot kill (where a normal strike did enough damage to kill the target). It's probably a moot point, but I've been convinced for a long time that more than 2 actual assassinates is a myth. I've played something like 40 TWF assassin lives (much of that solo and moving at my own pace) and have yet to see more than a double.

That said, I'd love to be proven wrong.

saekee

long live ROGUE
I previously issued a challenge for anyone to prove more than 3 assassinates, and no one was able to do so (and this was many years ago). What seemed to be happening, in every case, was 2 assassinates and 1 single-shot kill (where a normal strike did enough damage to kill the target). It's probably a moot point, but I've been convinced for a long time that more than 2 actual assassinates is a myth. I've played something like 40 TWF assassin lives (much of that solo and moving at my own pace) and have yet to see more than a double.

You might be right about the third kill.
I wonder if the best way to get a third kill now would be to equip a star of day/celestia/sun sword and maybe get an assassinate on a strikethrough? Or maybe it does not proc on a strikethrough. So first hit—>doublestrike for second assassinate—>strikethrough on third, maybe even fourth with high enough numbers, always assuming assassinate will work on strikethrough

DBZ

Take it on faith cannith lost there ballz since u left miss u mate

The only way u can ever get better is by playing with you guys and FATII the legend

VinoeWhines

Back when level cap was 28 I would solo and assassinate 3 mobs if they were close enough to shift my angle as the assassinate was going off, it seemed to work more consistently back than, when you would jump into(fall into) the assassinate as you were falling into the hit box and if you would rotate your character as well towards the third/fourth target.
I have very rarely seen it get four with offhand doublestrike when it was an actual second attack but now it’s one attack and it’s calculated as double damage if doublestrike is successful, which is great for do’s but not great for profs based attacks which messed up my build. I now only see two assassinates(TWF) which is odd because like was said SWF can also still get two assassinates as well.

Now with the proposed Monk change of DCs to Quivering Palm based off of assassinate and bonus to assassinate in those trees it is getting some upset because they like their Stuuning DC better and the other crowd also feels like Rogue Assasins are getting shafted by other Trees gettin bonus’ and better Stealth/solo abilities (Dark Hunter=assassinate ”range option too”/throwing bear traps/smoke bombs) and now Monks get bonus to assassinate also and Vorpal on 20 like rogues use to have but got taken away.

They should just make Assassinate use Strikethrough in the calculations as a Rogue specific Feat instead of what Crippling Strike is now just make it increase just as Dodge % increases at certain Rogue levels.

Last edited:

VinoeWhines

For when I would see four Assassinates, the only dungeon I would recall seeing it happen on rare occasion was the dungeon in which the Marketplace where people put up LFMs to farm tokens to TR ( I think it was DA?) where mobs respawn for several waves till boss pops up at end.
Well when the mobs rush to center to attack aggrieved magnet, I would occasionally get 3 assassinates and when in the zone and competing against the AOE/instakill Casters would get complemented on my fourth Assassinate that would go off very, very rarely.
Because they would see my hustle and machine like tear up in the quest(can’t seem to recreate that play style anymore or seem to have lobotomized that play style by the devs constantly removing Rogue abilities and the indifference to even accept/allow that play style in todays game, just look at our Epic Destiny and what a Shell it is of what it was before.
Shiradi got Shadow Manipulation in Beguile Charm, the removal of Executioner Strike/Shot, the uprooting of Consume with no similar ability(oh ya Weird is there but you can’t choose it for some stupid reason/oversight), no pass through on Tumble and of course now Meld into Darkness is now an Epic Strike when it was a defensive safety ability that could of been put in Tier V or toned down a little bit on dodge %.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
Epic Moment. There's no need to beat around the bush, Shadow Mastery as an epic moment is pretty terrible, especially when compared to Action Hero.
SD Epic Moment may not be good for an assassin but it has got synergy with tanky toons (High AC). On my build it is the best Epic Moment I can have. Love it. I can kill big group of trash in a few sec and also gives me 30 sec greater chance to survive in tough situations.
Need a really high AC (300+) to make it really work but it is okish on my 1st lifer (same build) with a 220 AC.