SSG: Time to reel in 18/1/1 builds

Scrag

A thought. Maybe 18 core is too strong? Maybe some small part of that should be moved out of that core, and into capstone? Seems that if people are gaining so much from 1/1 or /2, that probably the capstone sucks compared to what they are getting out of 18.

There is no fix for that really though. Touching the core at 18 would cause a murderous revolt in the forums that makes ea heal aura look like a strongly worded disagreement on if pineapple belongs on pizza or not.

woq

A thought. Maybe 18 core is too strong? Maybe some small part of that should be moved out of that core, and into capstone? Seems that if people are gaining so much from 1/1 or /2, that probably the capstone sucks compared to what they are getting out of 18.

There is no fix for that really though. Touching the core at 18 would cause a murderous revolt in the forums that makes ea heal aura look like a strongly worded disagreement on if pineapple belongs on pizza or not.
The problem is less 18 cores than it is that haste boost and trance are essentially "mandatory" so the best class/race combos that have no access to haste AND trance within a reasonable point cost from universal trees. It's one or the other.

The biggest benefit of the strongest 1 level splashes is low enhancement point cost to fix one or both of those holes, most commonly Trance since haste is available in Vistani with actually strong benefits from there while getting it unlike Harper trance; and since 19 levels in a class offers very little of value to most melees, you'll just end up with a 18/1/1 or 18/2 build.

Edit: I also think pures are a bit underappreciated at the moment. Something like pure 20 barb thf with frenzied berserker as main tree and falconry on the side looks very appealing to me for r10 questing and absolutely competitive with /1/1 split.

droid327

How does 1 Warlock give 20 Melee Power?

Arcane warrior. Aura procs

Specifically, Eldritch Aura counts as "casting a spell" for purposes of stacking buffs. It doesnt count as a typed spell, but just as a generic offensive spell. So you just turn it on and every time it ticks and hits something, you get +1 MP, stacking to 20.

The downside is, at 1 Warlock, your Aura only ticks once every 5 seconds. So that means to get to +20 MP you need to be in combat for almost two minutes (unless you manually cast some L1 Warlock spells too, I guess). That's fine in raids, where one long fight is the whole point. That's less effective in quests, where 2 mins in is sometimes halfway done, and you wont be in constant combat so you'll lose stacks often too.

Ying

5000+ hours played
bring this game closer to D&D.
So you're advocating to remove PRR, MRR, Dodge, Spellpower, Spell Crit Chance, Spell Crit Damage, Healing Amp, Fortification, Move Speed, Action Boosts, Past Lives, Enhancement trees and action points, ... ad nauseum.

DDO diverged from D&D 3.5 more than 15 years ago. The genie is out of the bottle and isn't going back in. D&D 3.5 was never made with a computer game in mind, nor an online multiplayer environment. DDO is it's own thing, and it's pretty damned good.

Randomdude1223

Specifically, Eldritch Aura counts as "casting a spell" for purposes of stacking buffs. It doesnt count as a typed spell, but just as a generic offensive spell. So you just turn it on and every time it ticks and hits something, you get +1 MP, stacking to 20.

The downside is, at 1 Warlock, your Aura only ticks once every 5 seconds. So that means to get to +20 MP you need to be in combat for almost two minutes (unless you manually cast some L1 Warlock spells too, I guess). That's fine in raids, where one long fight is the whole point. That's less effective in quests, where 2 mins in is sometimes halfway done, and you wont be in constant combat so you'll lose stacks often too.
Doesn't it tick for every time an enemy is affected by the aura? So, for example, if the aura hits 5 enemies at once, do you get 5 stacks or is it just 1 stack every 5 seconds regardless?

unbongwah

So you're advocating to remove PRR, MRR, Dodge, Spellpower, Spell Crit Chance, Spell Crit Damage, Healing Amp, Fortification, Move Speed, Action Boosts, Past Lives, Enhancement trees and action points, ... ad nauseum.
I'm personally looking forward to getting rid of spell points and going back to "cast X spells per rest" as Gary Gygax intended, which I'm sure is a long-overdue change which will be welcomed by the spellcaster community.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
I'm personally looking forward to getting rid of spell points and going back to "cast X spells per rest" as Gary Gygax intended, which I'm sure is a long-overdue change which will be welcomed by the spellcaster community.
That would be SO Awesome! A level 1 wizard gets to cast his ONE spell between rest shrines! (actually, one per day, but hey, have to make allowances for an online game)

Blunt Hackett

18/1/1 has no place in D&D and same in DDO. There are strict dual and multi-class rules for a reason and you have been careless about it. Capstones for most classes are p*ss-poor and outright trash for some of them. For once, do something about this and bring this game closer to D&D.
The game is D&D. They're the DMs, and there has been and always will be lots of house rules. They already reward pure classes with capstone enhancements. By your logic we wouldn't have enhancements or most of the good loot in the game.

droid327

Doesn't it tick for every time an enemy is affected by the aura? So, for example, if the aura hits 5 enemies at once, do you get 5 stacks or is it just 1 stack every 5 seconds regardless?
It can only gain 1 stack per second

So every tick will give you 1, and if you cast a spell you can get another 1, as long as its more than 1 second since your aura ticked

Ying

5000+ hours played
The 20 MP from 1 Warlock is more about character sheet highlight reels than practicality. Most raids have an interlude where it's easy to drop most or all of your stacks. When you're questing, there's enough dead time between packs, or mobs die quickly, or you die, or short quests like Cogs where you'll get to the endboss fast where you're not going to have max stacks most of the time.

The reason that melee go 1 Warlock is that there's nothing else better to do with a 1 level class splash when you're already going the 18/1 path.

Urklore

18/1/1 has no place in D&D and same in DDO. There are strict dual and multi-class rules for a reason and you have been careless about it. Capstones for most classes are p*ss-poor and outright trash for some of them. For once, do something about this and bring this game closer to D&D.
This is not panzy 4E or 5E D&D where multi-classing is horrible and not recommended. DDO is based on D&D 3E which encourages multi-classing. Multi-classed characters have been a traditional staple of D&D since its inception of AD&D 1st edition (I am looking at you elven fighter/mage). If you do not enjoy it, do not do it but do not try to enforce what you think is D&D to others. :)

Purr

The 20 MP from 1 Warlock is more about character sheet highlight reels than practicality. Most raids have an interlude where it's easy to drop most or all of your stacks. When you're questing, there's enough dead time between packs, or mobs die quickly, or you die, or short quests like Cogs where you'll get to the endboss fast where you're not going to have max stacks most of the time.

The reason that melee go 1 Warlock is that there's nothing else better to do with a 1 level class splash when you're already going the 18/1 path.
Aha. okay. cool. thanks.

Kimbere

DDO diverged from D&D 3.5 more than 15 years ago. The genie is out of the bottle and isn't going back in. D&D 3.5 was never made with a computer game in mind, nor an online multiplayer environment. DDO is it's own thing, and it's pretty damned good.
This. I always lol at the "but pen and paper..." people.

Pen and paper rules and systems are great for... pen and paper.

They're reasonably decent for single player video games with a linear storyline and progression (i.e. Baldur's Gate, Solasta, etc.).

They're a bad fit for an online, persistent MMO with realtime combat, steady powercreep and a 150+ PL hamster wheel.