Still no news about VIP upgrades...

mikarddo

Some of it comes down to word choice, but "scrapped entirely" is not the correct phrase to use for our decision to take a fresh look at the work in progress list that was previewed about a year ago. That said, the version of the updated VIP program seen a year ago is different from what we are working on now. The timing of the updated VIP program is soon; we're working through testing at the moment and when we have more information to share we will. It is not likely to fall within the formal first quarter, but shortly afterward.

Your keep on talkning - its been years of empty promises.

The last post mentions "shortly afterwards". Normally, that would be fine - but when you keep giving empty promises over and over and over for years - the patience wears thin.

Over these same years you have given much of what VIP had away to everyone
- packs
- classes
- races
and additionally invented the term "mini-expansion" to further avoid giving VIP free access to packs.

Shortly afterwards is thus no more than a week so you better present the news tomorrow and it better be good!

After continually making empty promises so many times there comes a time where you cannot avoid being labeled a liar. Lets please not have that happen. No more half-truths please - post the VIP upgrades Monday!

Last edited:

Xaxx

I'm fairly sure any official response would actually be something like.....

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH oh... ohh... these silly billys think we're gonna do something like that actually...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.... something usefulf for players ... ROOOOOOOOOFTL... oh thats flippin funny.."

something like that I'd think

Lazuli

For me, the erosion of VIP has come with the mini-xpacks and annual xpacks. I don't care that they have given free content to everyone, I consider that to be healthy for it to happen over time.

But mini-xpacks and annual xpacks are a big slap in the face for VIPs. If they want us to pay twice, give us benefits that are worth it. If not, they risk paying nothing instead of paying twice.

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
Personally, I understand where and why expansion packs have been not included with VIP (financial).

However, given most mini and full expansions are fairly large. I'm surprised VIP doesn't offer a partial access to the content given that there's often enough quests in an expansion where it can be split into various parts or acts. MotU could have the Battle for Eveningstar offered for free to VIP, but if VIP players want more, they will need the trove or have the full expansion. Shadowfell Conspiracy could have had parts of Wheloon and Stormhorns put together to allow access but not the entire set of quests. Ravenloft could have been given just Chain 1. And so on.

This way, VIP doesn't overstep onto the purchase of the full expansion (or trove) itself, but when given the appropriate quests, then permits enough of a taster to have players want to pay out for the full thing. Especially since much of the gear sets are spread out between quests that are not accessible from just access to one portion of the expansion.

That's just my thoughts on the expansion quests and VIP access.

J1NG

Altra

I wonder how many people that were willing to subscribe for VIP have already got fed-up and left, never to look back again.
Well, there are at least 2 of us.
We're so disgusted with the whole thing, we haven't even bothered to log in once to do the gold rolls. Our VIP expires in Oct, but we've left the game.

We gave them chance after chance, even defended them to others.

Done.
Checking this every couple weeks to see our friends posts, that's it.
I've been told I'm too patient, I wait too late to say anything.
I seriously am in awe at the patience of some of you, still waiting.

mbartol

Murder Hobo
Well, there are at least 2 of us.
We're so disgusted with the whole thing, we haven't even bothered to log in once to do the gold rolls. Our VIP expires in Oct, but we've left the game.

We gave them chance after chance, even defended them to others.

Done.
Checking this every couple weeks to see our friends posts, that's it.
I've been told I'm too patient, I wait too late to say anything.
I seriously am in awe at the patience of some of you, still waiting.
After the year of daily gold rolls ended in January 2023 with no new VIP announcement, I cancelled my VIP.

When they offered the month of daily gold rolls last fall, I signed up for a month of VIP for their metrics.

And again, with the current month of daily gold rolls for VIP, I subscribed to show my support.

I have money budgeted for entertainment, and am willing to direct it towards SSG. However, I don’t feel the need to throw money at them to keep the lights on, so to say. SSG needs to provide some value to VIP in order to earn my support/money.

Smokewolf

Your keep on talkning - its been years of empty promises.

The last post mentions "shortly afterwards". Normally, that would be fine - but when you keep giving empty promises over and over and over for years - the patience wears thin.

Over these same years you have given much of what VIP had away to everyone
- packs
- classes
- races
and additionally invented the term "mini-expansion" to further avoid giving VIP free access to packs.

Shortly afterwards is thus no more than a week so you better present the news tomorrow and it better be good!

After continually making empty promises so many times there comes a time where you cannot avoid being labeled a liar. Lets please not have that happen. No more half-truths please - post the VIP upgrades Monday!
Truth is that VIP revenue accounts for a small percentage of the money SSG takes in. Compared to adding "new" content requiring players to buy augment toolkits, the financial incentive to satisfy subscription holders is effectively ZERO.

The only reason VIP even became a discussion is that veteran players (repeatedly) demanded it. After which, what we saw was a bunch of panicked waffling and lip-service. Sad reality being, there was no real plan in place, much less the honest desire to make VIP become a meaningful subscription for players.

Personal note: My DDO subscription ends on the 24th of this month. Being that I now require a VPN to utilize my American credit card for DDO-Store purchases within Europe, I'm on the fence. I'm not sure if buying into another year, for more lip-service and gold rolls, is worth the yearly cost of a VPN subscription or not. Part of me knows that I'll give up (small amount) of in-game convenience by by not renewing. While the other part of me is angry, not wanting to reward SSG for its ignorance with respect to its choice of payment vendors.

-Smoke

Last edited:

Jasparius

I'd be quite happy with daily VIP rolls if they updated the prize table. To date Ive had quite a few rolls in the 90 to 100 range where Ive gone "Gee, that's not too bad" but never once have I gone "Oh wow that is crazy good". And that includes having rolled 100 a few times.

Shift the entire table up one step so that 97-99 starts the "Very rare" and then 100 is "You better grab a hold of something".

seph1roth5

They already mentioned at some point that the vip update was being pushed back from q1. I forget if they said soon after or early q2 or what, but I THINK it should be sometime in q2.

That said, I have virtually zero hope it will be any good. That last 12-month vip idea was such a horrible disaster. I hate the idea in general, I GUESS if each month had something good it'd be passable, and my friends and I would re-VIP. The problem is it's unnecessary. The vast majority of people who had VIP just...HAD it, all the time, while they played. There's no need to try a new model that escalates to try and get people to keep vip-ing. It's a horrible attempt at a battlepass, but without any free path (unless you count silver rolls?). It'd be so much better to just add stuff to vip that you get immediately.

I have a big ol thread with a zillion suggestions in my sig. But I have a feeling that NONE of those will be in the vip update. The last system they put out there shows how stupendously out of touch they are with what players want, because no one, EVER, thought "man my 20 plat hirelings are expiring too fast, this is ridiculous!" or "I wish I had more +3 goblin slaying arrows!"

It would honestly not take much to make vip worth it again, but like the tumble changes, instead of a quick, easy fix, they want to try to completely overhaul the system. It's like if you get a flat tire, and you take it to a pizzeria and they tell you they're going to replace the whole transmission.

Sarlona Raiding

At this point I am more interested in just waiting to hear about their plan vs. beating a dead horse that they missed their Q1 goal by a few weeks.

I hope they hit a home run.

As far as xpacs I really like what they did with Saltmarsh and would really like to see more of that.

Jasparius

At this point I am more interested in just waiting to hear about their plan vs. beating a dead horse that they missed their Q1 goal by a few weeks.

I hope they hit a home run.

As far as xpacs I really like what they did with Saltmarsh and would really like to see more of that.

Despite missing the target of Q1, I doubt they are going to boost it further than what was already planned. My guess is VIP dont just pay a monthly fee, but also spend more money than Premium players, so if they give too much, then their revenue drops.

Mindos

CHAOTIC EVIL
If gold rolls a day was "Too Much" because it wasn't financially responsible, then won't the New Vip be something less than daily gold rolls?

Think about how much you like Daily Gold rolls. The new VIP will, by definition, bring you less than that. THAT'S the ballpark they are aiming for.