TEACHING RAID NIGHT: SIGN-UP NOW!

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Hey, I'm willing to Otto myself to cap at this rate ... just so I can get some raid training.

Think about that for a second. Just think. And also just think about how NOT feasible that is for the vast majority of new players.
New players should level normally, experience the game along the way, and have fun exploring. Then they can gear up from quests at cap and join raids. I've helped plenty of new players figure out builds and gearsets to be viable and part of the team; those want help with build/gear should ask here on the forums or pop on the community discord & ask there (lots of fine folks who will help them figure out a setup for whatever playstyle one enjoys). IMO no new player should box their way to cap just to jump into raids, they'd be missing game knowledge and a huge chunk of the game; so that's odd approach to take towards raiding and new players.

Toede

The raids aren't going anywhere so there's no need to really rush. If you are willing to spend money on otto boxes, why not just transfer your raid ready character to the server you are planning to do this on? It would be cheaper.

Br4d

Many players do not have access to the raiding experience because of knowledge gaps and play schedule and general FUD in play.

I think Elminster's idea is a very good one. There should be somebody coordinating public teaching raids on every server the way Voodu and The Highlords do on Sarlona.

Sheikra

Y'all need to calm down lol. The man is desperate enough for raiding that he is willing to roll a toon on whatever server has people interested in helping. Y'all literally hating if he complains about raids or if he tries to plan raids. If you don't want to participate/don't like how he plans it, feel free to go to another thread (this is aimed at responses to all... 6? of the posts lol)

Also If you are running a LN teaching raid, even if 10/12 people are first lives with bad gear, you'll be fine.

Griglok (Karatemack)

Leader- The Casual Obsession (Khyber)
Many players do not have access to the raiding experience because of knowledge gaps and play schedule and general FUD in play.

I think Elminster's idea is a very good one. There should be somebody coordinating public teaching raids on every server the way Voodu and The Highlords do on Sarlona.
We all present information in different formats. I try to be active on the forums, but not every player can. Not everyone is a streamer or enjoys that, but some folks talk about raiding there. My streams all include the link to my discord and my character names so folks can join me if they want to. Some people are active in discord and post requests for raids there. I even see LFMs in-game, but not everyone posts in-game to fill raids.

If you haven't found a group yet... please post and reach out. Many of us are willing to help get you connected. But the premise that teaching raids don't exist or aren't accessible isn't valid.

Y'all need to calm down lol. The man is desperate enough for raiding that he is willing to roll a toon on whatever server has people interested in helping. Y'all literally hating if he complains about raids or if he tries to plan raids. If you don't want to participate/don't like how he plans it, feel free to go to another thread (this is aimed at responses to all... 6? of the posts lol)

Also If you are running a LN teaching raid, even if 10/12 people are first lives with bad gear, you'll be fine.
He has multiple offers to help him and teach him raids. He can also watch all of Voodu's videos or any of the other 1000s of hours of content available to help teach him how to run a raid (and let's not forget the wiki).

To be clear - I'm not against him gathering a party to raid with, but if you parse through all of the various threads he's started on this subject, you will see that he doesn't even plan to join all of these raids he's "organizing". He's posting as though there is no active community of raiders on some of these servers or that there are places where raids are inaccessible.

If Elminster wants to raid, he has an open invitation on Khyber. I'll even help him level a character so he doesn't have to box it. We'll even pass 95% of the raid loot we pull since we have most of it already. The community on other servers has responded positively as well. I fully support him being able to fill a teaching raid. I am fully against spamming every server forum board when you've already received multiple offers to provide you with what you claim to be seeking.

Elminster

We all present information in different formats. I try to be active on the forums, but not every player can. Not everyone is a streamer or enjoys that, but some folks talk about raiding there. My streams all include the link to my discord and my character names so folks can join me if they want to. Some people are active in discord and post requests for raids there. I even see LFMs in-game, but not everyone posts in-game to fill raids.

If you haven't found a group yet... please post and reach out. Many of us are willing to help get you connected. But the premise that teaching raids don't exist or aren't accessible isn't valid.

He has multiple offers to help him and teach him raids. He can also watch all of Voodu's videos or any of the other 1000s of hours of content available to help teach him how to run a raid (and let's not forget the wiki).

To be clear - I'm not against him gathering a party to raid with, but if you parse through all of the various threads he's started on this subject, you will see that he doesn't even plan to join all of these raids he's "organizing". He's posting as though there is no active community of raiders on some of these servers or that there are places where raids are inaccessible.

If Elminster wants to raid, he has an open invitation on Khyber. I'll even help him level a character so he doesn't have to box it. We'll even pass 95% of the raid loot we pull since we have most of it already. The community on other servers has responded positively as well. I fully support him being able to fill a teaching raid. I am fully against spamming every server forum board when you've already received multiple offers to provide you with what you claim to be seeking.
8ins1h.gif

I need all the training I can get, spread the raiding gospel far and wide. Man, the Otto's boxes though.. I may never financially recover from all this, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

vryxnr

The impressions I got upon seeing all these threads was:
1) You were ready to start this now/asap
2) You were the one planning on teaching raids to others

Which from your posting history confused me greatly... at least until I clicked and read further. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

Rabidfox and Griglok are correct imo. You will server yourself and those you eventually run with much better if you don't otto's your way to cap, and instead level by questing to cap and get some decent quest gear as you do so whilst flagging for the raids that require flagging. That way instead of joining a raid to learn by listening (yay), and pike (boo), you can learn by listening (yay) and participate/learn by doing (double yay!).

When I do teaching runs, I often try to set things up so that those who are new get to experience the mechanics first hand rather than just watching others do them quickly. This will be things that don't have an auto-fail mechanic tied to them, but an "if you mess up, no big deal, it just adds a bit of time, which is fine because the point is to get you used to doing this". Being level boosted to cap with little/no gear makes this harder for everyone imo. For things with auto-fail mechanics I will explain them, then sometimes have the new folks stand behind me and watch what I do the first time (or first few times) until they feel good about trying it themselves.

Elminster

The impressions I got upon seeing all these threads was:
1) You were ready to start this now/asap
2) You were the one planning on teaching raids to others

Which from your posting history confused me greatly... at least until I clicked and read further. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

Rabidfox and Griglok are correct imo. You will server yourself and those you eventually run with much better if you don't otto's your way to cap, and instead level by questing to cap and get some decent quest gear as you do so whilst flagging for the raids that require flagging. That way instead of joining a raid to learn by listening (yay), and pike (boo), you can learn by listening (yay) and participate/learn by doing (double yay!).

When I do teaching runs, I often try to set things up so that those who are new get to experience the mechanics first hand rather than just watching others do them quickly. This will be things that don't have an auto-fail mechanic tied to them, but an "if you mess up, no big deal, it just adds a bit of time, which is fine because the point is to get you used to doing this". Being level boosted to cap with little/no gear makes this harder for everyone imo. For things with auto-fail mechanics I will explain them, then sometimes have the new folks stand behind me and watch what I do the first time (or first few times) until they feel good about trying it themselves.
gearing takes like 4-5 hours of heavy questing and rerolling for shards. Not a big deal. flagging .. I mean just run through on normal or whatever you're flagged. Legendary shroud is like 2 quests takes like 30 minutes. The only one of any note is the stupid sigil completion for MoD which is a pain to do every life.

Maybe I'll just Sov pot it or whatever. Anyway gotta get started soon as it's filling fast.

vryxnr

gearing takes like 4-5 hours of heavy questing and rerolling for shards. Not a big deal. flagging .. I mean just run through on normal or whatever you're flagged. Legendary shroud is like 2 quests takes like 30 minutes. The only one of any note is the stupid sigil completion for MoD which is a pain to do every life.

Maybe I'll just Sov pot it or whatever. Anyway gotta get started soon as it's filling fast.
Sigil is only for abbot (heroic version) and you only need to do it once now (once you make a compelte sigil, it becomes an item that stays through reincs so no more flagging every life). MoD is the epic version that simply requires doing the epic versions (make sure you grab from the epic NPCs first).

TavernTails

Tuesday Trivia Host on DDOstream
If I can, I will gladly participate. Tuesdays are out for me (hosting DDOstream that night), but I can even stream if needed most other days. I am not too comfortable leading at this point but I can fill a slot with a capable character when needed.
Thanks to OP and all involved for seeing this through.

Xaerxiessia

Lost in Translation
Cordovan should join the Orien group
Would he learn from his nerfs ? That's the question .... 8P

I like the initiative, but not in range myself. Should there be a spin-off for late Heroic, I 'd run for it.
Still have my sigil for Ascension Chamber , but sadly never managed to get in touch with those running on Wed. or Sat. .

Elminster

1.) Sheikra [Leader]
2.) Peng [Leader]
3.) Ryppyr [Student]
4.) Mo [Student]
5.) Bellitrix [Student]
6.) RESERVED/in-game signup [Student]
7.) RESERVED/in-game signup[Student]
8.)Br4d [Student]
9.) Branwynn/Taverntails [Student]
10.)<Open spot>
11.)<Open spot>
12.)<Open spot>
13.)<Backup spot>

14.)<Backup spot>

Griglok (Karatemack)

Leader- The Casual Obsession (Khyber)
Why folks nitpicking a teaching raids thread?
I'm not sure that's what is happening. There was also a teaching raid thread started by the same person in multiple server sections of the forums. A few of us were willing to commit, but then the OP revealed they didn't plan to attend.

If the teaching raid is going to happen, I hope people DO join and it is a great success. Good luck to all! :)

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
I am willing to teach more raids, if need be. But I'd like to point out that we have established raid groups that take on new people and are willing to teach them mechanics or whatever they want to know.
While these are not teaching raids specifically, these are a good environment to learn. You have a knowledgeable core group that can help new people. The only thing new people need to do is tell the raid leader that they are new and like instructions or explanations. You find most of them in the Orien (Raiding) Discord.

For this you can try to join these regular raid groups:
- Spug
- Thazara's
- Armament of Shadow
- Uncle Aebro's
- Gathering of Shadows
- Nuber
- Old Curiosity Shop
- End of Days
- UCA
- Subpar
- Helter Skelter
- The Original Brotherhood
and I am sure I missed some more.

Cheers,
Titus

Last edited:

The Narc

I am willing to teach more raids, if need be. But I'd like to point out that we have established raid groups that take on new people and are willing to teach them mechanics or whatever they want to know.
While these are not teaching raids specifically, these are a good environment to learn. You have a knowledgeable core group that can help new people. The only thing new people need to do is tell the raid leader that they are new and like instructions or explanations. You find most of them in the Orien (Raiding) Discord.

For this you can join these regular raid groups:
- Spug
- Thazara's
- Armament of Shadow
- Uncle Aebro's
- Gathering of Shadows
- Nuber
- Old Curiosity Shop
- End of Days
- UCA
- Subpar
- Helter Skelter
- The Original Brotherhood
and I am sure I missed some more.

Cheers,
Titus
Ummmm it is forbidden by Helt.. Skelt.. to mention Helt.. Skelt.. in the DDO Forums, the guild leaders will be informed and shall be taking action immediately.

Regardless of your intentions please do not provide an opinion about Helt.. Skelt.. and where raiding can be done, you are not allowed to express opinions about Helt.. Skelt.. without the expressed written consent of the leaders of Helt.. Skelt..

@Kimbere please review for approval

@Fallout47 please review for approval

Your friendly neighborhood Narc, protecting all future use of Helt.. Skelt.. in the forums when making suggestions or expressing opinions.