To SSG; The endgame and the mountain we climb

PraetorPlato

I agree that the grind should be reduced, but it's silly to say that 90%+ of guild raids need past lives to contribute to the group—especially with the raid gear that comes from raiding regularly, first lifers can carry their role in raiding in most guilds.

Jummby

I agree that the grind should be reduced, but it's silly to say that 90%+ of guild raids need past lives to contribute to the group—especially with the raid gear that comes from raiding regularly, first lifers can carry their role in raiding in most guilds.
Depends on players, the raid and what other players are leading and carrying the raid.

People deep down don't want to just be carried. They want to be effective, contribute and be part of the fun.

There are really good builds out there for specific roles in raids. At the end if the day though, even those builds can benefit from 12 to 24 lives minimum to really maximize those builds.

PraetorPlato

Depends on players, the raid and what other players are leading and carrying the raid.

People deep down don't want to just be carried. They want to be effective, contribute and be part of the fun.

There are really good builds out there for specific roles in raids. At the end if the day though, even those builds can benefit from 12 to 24 lives minimum to really maximize those builds.
Yeah, I'm saying that in most raids at the difficulties they are run at, you can carry the raid on a first lifer.

T.O.

Have another drink, than re read the original post more carefully tomorrow morning....
Yes you said it was a grind. You also said there was a xp nerf which there wasn't. Honestly I pretty much stopped reading your post after you said that. And since I haven't had a drop since Friday. I am stone cold sober. So I don't think I will

Shear-buckler

Hmm, I wonder if there is some fundamental misunderstanding here. I don't think most people think first life characters are useless or unable to contribute at all, especially if it's a healer or a tank. For me at least it's more about the feeling of progression and the prospect of how to go about it and how much you need to do to reach certain goals.

I think a good way of looking at it is actually quantifying what is an acceptable amount of time to "complete" a character or a particular part of a character? Never is an acceptable answer when it comes to absolutely picture perfect gear imo, I think it's fine to always have something more to strive for. But when it comes to the canvas that you build on - that is the past life base for an individual character.. I think the several years seems crazy.

Do you guys think the amount of grind to catch up to the completionist characters is currently in a good spot? If you had to start over from scratch right now and had no access to the obnoxiously priced otto boxes, would you? I probably wouldn't and that's part of why it's so hard for me to convince or even ask friends to play DDO with me.

^The above is not a rhetorical question, it's an actual question. I think it's perfectly fine if we disagree on this.

Very well put. That is exactly right. The question of how long if should take to get the past lives is equally valid regardless of whether you "need" them or not. The only valid argument against reducing the grind is that it becomes to short and leaves players with nothing to do, but I am certain there can be a lot of improvements before we reach that point.

woq

I upvoted the best catch up mechanism known to man. Your dramatic overtures about everyone you know not having time for an alt just seem manufactured to support a point that could be made in more convincing ways.
I feel like you coulda lead with this. In general this conversation should've maybe started from "hey, see this thread? even the grindiest mofos in the realm are sayin its a bit much. Maybe there's something there?" I had not seen that post!

People who have a single bone of power greed or completionist nature won't even look at this game after seeing the mountain that some climb and honestly I'd wager most turn away from but maybe I'm just not grind-natured enough and shouldn't be projecting.

I like the ideas in that post, though I still think having all completionists (or 2 of them) to get "started" on a fast track seems backloaded and doesn't really help new players, though it does bring the carrot closer. I know it's repeating what I said before but I maintain the position that racial points should be on 1st racial life and racial completionist should be gained upon gaining 1 of all non-iconic races. Or, just consolidate them to one racial. +1 skill point past life gains seem silly. Combining such or similar change with an emphasis on making easier progression in general tied to VIP more appealing seems like a good way forward.

Either way, I certainly hope the devs take some of it into consideration, though seeing as how that conversation went on for months with quite considerable popularity, visibility and outreach and didn't receive as much as a peep from devs in that thread, I'm now less optimistic. Though I can also see why the devs wouldn't want to go into an open conversation about that topic, especially on the forums.

Last edited:

Shear-buckler

I think an elegant and simple solution is to encourage grouping

Do this by offering a 1% xp bonus for each player in the party to all players. Basically a permanent buddy bonus.

VIP get a 5% bonus per person. This is a strong incentive to purchase VIP. It also gives a substantial value to VIP, and would encourage sales.

Encouraging and rewarding grouping helps everyone, new and veteran players alike. It also opens up more LFMs because people who solo or are in private groups tend to open up more for the XP reward. It makes the game feel populated, and not so abandoned for newer players.

By adding a flat XP bonus for everyone, the grind is reduced by a hair. For those who contribute financially, their grind diminishes further. This helps with racial grind and getting new people up to speed. It helps with boosting the power of alts.

And do this for heroic quests, levels 1-20 only. Since Epic / Iconic lives _are_ quicker and easier, so they don't need an XP boost. I think keeping this type of boost as heroic is important.

This is a win-win. And as a bonus, it's super easy to implement with current systems.

This solution addresses numerous problems with low-effort and current systems.

1% xp bonus per player, like the current VIP bonus, is nothing. It does not move the needle and is most likely just lost to overlevel when you reach cap. Even 5% is barely noticable unless you repeat quests.
I am also not a fan of solo-exclusionary mechanics. Grouping is already far more efficient for XP gain. If you prefer grouping you have no reason not to do so already.

A better experience boost would be to make the "party" bonuses, I.E. ransack, conquest, traps and secret doors, a seperate multiplicative channel. That would increase experience gain a fair bit for doing those objectives, making it more rewarding to play in a non-zerg and more exploratory way. It would also greatly encourage grouping while not exclude those who play solo.

In the optimal scenario, with all bonuses maxed out, this would turn out to a 50% increase in experience.

They should also significantly increase the experience from the monster manuals. It would give more reason to do optionals and kill mobs, which I think is a playstyle that should be encouraged. Given that these are included in VIP it would also give more reason to subscribe.

Col Kurtz

The point of the original post is to look at the fact that there is an endgame and people like to play. If that wasn't the case, you wouldn't have organized guild.raids.

As.much as people try to derail the original topic, I ask again:

SSG, where is the fun?
..the fact that some players have stayed with DDO for over a decade say volumes about how fun it can be and is. It's not DDO's fault if some players spent 10 zillion hours refining their toons to boredom. But DDO is trying :) Vecna is pretty cool, despite the forum bashing.

public pve server raids promote that end game ... top end high skull guild raids are just adding feathers to the caps of the few who run those. Not to take away from their achievements, but how are they helping the dying out general population of the game they supposedly love so much.

Lazuli

I feel like you coulda lead with this. In general this conversation should've maybe started from "hey, see this thread? even the grindiest mofos in the realm are sayin its a bit much. Maybe there's something there?" I had not seen that post!

People who have a single bone of power greed or completionist nature won't even look at this game after seeing the mountain that some climb and honestly I'd wager most turn away from but maybe I'm just not grind-natured enough and shouldn't be projecting.

I like the ideas in that post, though I still think having all completionists (or 2 of them) to get "started" on a fast track seems backloaded and doesn't really help new players, though it does bring the carrot closer. I know it's repeating what I said before but I maintain the position that racial points should be on 1st racial life and racial completionist should be gained upon gaining 1 of all non-iconic races. Or, just consolidate them to one racial. +1 skill point past life gains seem silly. Combining such or similar change with an emphasis on making easier progression in general tied to VIP more appealing seems like a good way forward.

Either way, I certainly hope the devs take some of it into consideration, though seeing as how that conversation went on for months with quite considerable popularity, visibility and outreach and didn't receive as much as a peep from devs in that thread, I'm now less optimistic. Though I can also see why the devs wouldn't want to go into an open conversation about that topic, especially on the forums.
I didn't vote for that idea because it only benefits veterans with mature toons. It doesn't even help veteran alts, except when they are in a very advanced phase, and by then the help is no longer so necessary. What usually exasperates people is seeing the alts so weak at the beginning, and that would be solved by starting with a few PLs, not adding them at the end.

Years ago I proposed something that would try to make it more egalitarian. My idea was for SSG to make more free basic content permanently (either all of the coupon, or part of it), to be able to put the XP progression in heroics equally for new and veterans. No more xp differences between first, second and third life. I would prefer to put the second life progression for everyone (I think the current curve is too big for third life), but if SSG wants to leave the third life progression or put a new progression between the two, ok.

Then create an npc effectively similar to "the guide" from lammania. A toon that has three PLs of a class can go talk to it, and it stores that class in memory for that server. Then the alts on that server can talk to the npc, and get one (and only one) PL of that class.

With this you get to share 1/3 of the PL of your toons. You don't need to have just one super character. If you play a lot of alts or if you have concentrated all your PLs in one, you will receive the same benefit. A new player can benefit from this, since it is easier to get 3 PL than to have two completionists as Dom says (that seems very elitist to me, and very focused on playing a single character).

By sharing only a third of lives, all characters have a lot of grinding ahead of them (so you can't really say that we wouldn't have anything to do). But both newbies and veterans alike find easier to play multiple characters. And for those looking to have a parked alt on the cap for end game, a third of past lives already provides a very decent base.

My idea was to do this for free, because I honestly think that this whole PL thing has gotten out of hand for SSG. Reincarnation is a good idea, but it has been abused. But if SSG feels the need to make it paid, let them put it as a VIP perk. Certainly this is a better benefit than opening quests in elite, which does nothing for veterans.

To help new ones I would do:

-Coupon as permanent, or at least 75% of it.

-No more elite opening blocked after VIP.

-Basic shared bank given with the premium account. Come on, SSG, all games nowadays give this. And the new ones will want to buy tomes, more banks, xpack, iconics, jeweler’s toolkits... don't be greedy.

-The greater amount of xp needed to reach 20 in the first life would be compensated by the fact of having more content available and the fact that they could invest their first points in an xp tome (or in xpacks!) instead of in the basic shared bank.

-Newbies start with 32 points. Starting with 28 when all the veterans are 36 and with PLs is very punitive.

-Convert the Expeditious Retreat spell by 30%, as it is in pnp, and with it the item clickies.

-Bring back the menace and shadowfell xpacs. Those were useful because they gave 2000 or 1000 points, some iconic ones and xp tomes. It is a tempting investment for a new player. SSG gains money, new ones get useful things win-win.

-Create new starter packs, with useful things for newbies, at reasonable prices. The idea is not that people don't pay, but that the entrance to the game is reasonable! The initial paywall is now stupidly high. Old xpacks to reduced prices or included in VIP (menace, shadowfell, RL, Sharn at least – the 99 offer will not last for long). Some starter packs might sell a small number of PLs, or come with bta Otto’s. Because an account can only purchase a pack once, it could not be abused, so it doesn't matter if a veteran buys it for his weak alt or a new one for his first character. Giving a little push when there are so many past lives to do is not a bad thing. This is not necessary for someone just starting out, but it is adequate to keep them in the game when they see the power difference they have with veterans. Do not underestimate the suggestive power of seeing tangible progress in a short time.

-Improve first time server rewards. For example, 1000 now gives 32 build points, but given this they would have it as a base, adding something more useful for a new one. Even if it's a coupon to buy something at a discount. Or include access to old xpacks, etc. here. Since it is only achieved once, it cannot be abused.

More or less these have been my ideas, suggested in many posts in recent years. Without a doubt you could think of better things, or they would have to be refined, etc. But something is needed that not only helps veterans with an almost mature toon (because come on, if you have epic and heroic completionist you don't need so much help!), but a broader audience: new ones & people with new alts too. And the truth is that giving a free life every three days as Dom says seems... excessive.

Last edited:

Guntango

I feel like you coulda lead with this.
We led with it in August last year. I link it often. Glad you found it.

It still has nothing to do with the strawman that you can’t currently have fun in the game on low life alts.

Guntango

I didn't vote for that idea because it only benefits veterans with mature toons. It doesn't even help veteran alts, except when they are in a very advanced phase, and by then the help is no longer so necessary. What usually exasperates people is seeing the alts so weak at the beginning, and that would be solved by starting with a few PLs, not adding them at the end.

Years ago I proposed something that would try to make it more egalitarian. My idea was for SSG to make more free basic content permanently (either all of the coupon, or part of it), to be able to put the XP progression in heroics equally for new and veterans. No more xp differences between first, second and third life. I would prefer to put the second life progression for everyone (I think the current curve is too big for third life), but if SSG wants to leave the third life progression or put a new progression between the two, ok.

Then create an npc effectively similar to "the guide" from lammania. A toon that has three PLs of a class can go talk to it, and it stores that class in memory for that server. Then the alts on that server can talk to the npc, and get one (and only one) PL of that class.

With this you get to share 1/3 of the PL of your toons. You don't need to have just one super character. If you play a lot of alts or if you have concentrated all your PLs in one, you will receive the same benefit. A new player can benefit from this, since it is easier to get 3 PL than to have two completionists as Dom says (that seems very elitist to me, and very focused on playing a single character).

By sharing only a third of lives, all characters have a lot of grinding ahead of them (so you can't really say that we wouldn't have anything to do). But both newbies and veterans alike find easier to play multiple characters. And for those looking to have a parked alt on the cap for end game, a third of past lives already provides a very decent base.

My idea was to do this for free, because I honestly think that this whole PL thing has gotten out of hand for SSG. Reincarnation is a good idea, but it has been abused. But if SSG feels the need to make it paid, let them put it as a VIP perk. Certainly this is a better benefit than opening quests in elite, which does nothing for veterans.

To help new ones I would do:

-Coupon as permanent, or at least 75% of it.

-No more elite opening blocked after VIP.

-Basic shared bank given with the premium account. Come on, SSG, all games nowadays give this. And the new ones will want to buy tomes, more banks, xpack, iconics, jeweler’s toolkits... don't be greedy.

-The greater amount of xp needed to reach 20 in the first life would be compensated by the fact of having more content available and the fact that they could invest their first points in an xp tome instead of in the basic shared bank (or in xpacks!).

-Newbies start with 32 points. Starting with 28 when all the veterans are 36 and PLs is very punitive.

-Convert the Expeditious Retreat spell by 30%, as it is in pnp, and with it the item clickies.

-Bring back the menace and shadowfell xpacs. Those were useful because they gave 2000 or 1000 points, some iconic ones and xp tomes. It is a tempting investment for a new player. SSG gains money, new ones get useful things win-win.

-Create new starter packs, with useful things for newbies, at reasonable prices. The idea is not that people don't pay, but that the entrance to the game is reasonable! The initial paywall is now stupidly high. Old xpacks to reduced prices or included in VIP (menace, shadowfell, RL, Sharn at least – the 99 offer will not last for long). Some starter packs might sell a small number of PLs, or come with bta Otto’s. Because an account can only purchase a pack once, it could not be abused, so it doesn't matter if a veteran buys it for his weak alt or a new one for his first character. Giving a little push when there are so many past lives to do is not a bad thing. This is not necessary for someone just starting out, but it is adequate to keep them in the game when they see the power difference they have with veterans. Do not underestimate the suggestive power of seeing tangible progress in a short time.

More or less these have been my ideas, suggested in many posts in recent years. Without a doubt you could think of better things, or they would have to be refined, etc. But something is needed that not only helps veterans with an almost mature toon (because come on, if you have epic and heroic completionist you don't need so much help!), but a broader audience: new ones & people with new alts too. And the truth is that giving a free life every three days as Dom says seems... excessive.
You couldn’t be more wrong. I’ve got 4 uber conpletionists, I don’t need it. This mechanic would help you get those uber alts that you can’t get otherwise.

Could you link us that idea you had years ago that’s exactly like Dom”s but you’re bringing up now?

Last edited:

Lazuli

You couldn’t be more wrong. I’ve got 4 Uber conpletionists, I don’t need it. This mechanic would help you get those uber alts that you can’t get otherwise.

Could you link us that idea you had years ago that’s exactly like Dom”s but you’re bringing up now?
It's in the post just before yours.

I'm not saying that Dom's idea benefits you directly, I'm saying that if you need to be a character that already has epic and heroic completionism to benefit from it, it's not an idea that will really help new alts or new players. It favors those who have a very developed toon (hence it seems like an elitist idea, and when you already have a toon with that background you don't really need that much help). It also favors playing one character over several, since you have to center on one to get those completionists before you can benefit from this system.

The basic idea, The guide, is good. Many people have suggested similar things over the years, and I don't take credit away from Dom for suggesting its use, because it really is something that can work very well. But the implementation does not seem appropriate to me. It is not appropriate to reserve it only for completionists. It seems excessive to me to give a life every 3 days.

Reduce the grind, yes, it has gotten out of hand. But not that either.

My idea is not perfect, I'm not saying that's the right thing to do. But I try to throw ideas at the devs that could be useful to reduce the grind, still leaving a lot to do, reducing the entry paywall for the new players, but adding ideas that could make them money too in the long run.

You can certainly think of other things that work equally well or better. But please, not things that only work once you have completionists. And yes, I qualify for the idea of Dom with three alts. But I don't think it's the right approach.

Shear-buckler

You couldn’t be more wrong. I’ve got 4 uber conpletionists, I don’t need it. This mechanic would help you get those uber alts that you can’t get otherwise.

You have 4 uber completionists so it's not surprising that you support a suggestion that is specifically made to help uber completionists respec. The catch-up part of the "guide" mechanic is a poor afterthought that was slapped on to create an illusion that the suggestion was for the benefits of others and not the ones who push it so hard. It would be a complete disaster for the game if implemented. The meta for "non-ubers" would be to play something else while waiting for the 3 day timer because redoing everything for your character every 3 days would get very old very fast buy it would still be the by far optimal way to progress your character.

I would even go so far as to say it's the worst catch up mechanic known to man.

DilemmaEnder

Thelanis Player
I find this topic very interesting. Seeing what "Veteran" players think of the systems they have seen grow up around them is interesting to me.

I come at this from the perspective of someone whom really only started playing the game in January of 2021. So I am 3 years in to "the Grind" of the TR train.

I was just looking at my Main last night and I am sitting at 47 Past Lives. I enjoy the leveling process and generally don't mind the fact that even after 3 years of 20+ hours a week I am still less that 30% of the way to Triple Completionist. I know I am not playing the most efficient way possible nor am I following the Meta with my builds, but I do enjoy the "slog". Most of my time is spent with Guildies and Friends chatting about anything & everything as we Adventure, Explore, and Slay. It doesn't even occur to me that this game could be repetitive or boring because while there are quests I do & do not enjoy, I like any quest that I get to do with a friend. I enjoy the idea of this toon living through all these experiences and being reincarnated but growing further. It's like the best choose your own adventure story ever.

I also have 4 toons parked at Cap for Raiding which I use to try out different play styles as the mood strikes me. Some have 1-3 past lives. Some are First life and I never plan to do more with them then let them sit there for raids.

So for me, I don't get the problem. You have a game that allows 1st life toons to be useful in "Endgame Raids" while at the same time allowing you to grind out even more power, beyond just usefulness, for what seems like at least 9-10 years and that number is still growing.

Seems to me that what people are wanting is to get all the benefits of having done everything on all of their toons without having done everything on all of their toons.

You don't "need" every past life, though you may "want" them. You will certainly become more powerful with the vast majority of them but anyone who thinks they are a neccessity to Tank, Heal, Trap, Buff, or DPS needs to learn to distinguish between Functional & Ideal.

Shear-buckler

I was just looking at my Main last night and I am sitting at 47 Past Lives. I enjoy the leveling process and generally don't mind the fact that even after 3 years of 20+ hours a week I am still less that 30% of the way to Triple Completionist. I know I am not playing the most efficient way possible nor am I following the Meta with my builds, but I do enjoy the "slog". Most of my time is spent with Guildies and Friends chatting about anything & everything as we Adventure, Explore, and Slay. It doesn't even occur to me that this game could be repetitive or boring because while there are quests I do & do not enjoy, I like any quest that I get to do with a friend.

What if you were only 3% of the way? Or is there any amount of grind for that goal that would be too large for you?
Would your experience be worse of if you were 60% of the way by this point? If all you care about is playing a quest with a friend why would you care if you had your past lives done?

I enjoy the idea of this toon living through all these experiences and being reincarnated but growing further. It's like the best choose your own adventure story ever.

That would be equally true if the grind was reduced.

Guntango

It's in the post just before yours.

I'm not saying that Dom's idea benefits you directly, I'm saying that if you need to be a character that already has epic and heroic completionism to benefit from it, it's not an idea that will really help new alts or new players. It favors those who have a very developed toon (hence it seems like an elitist idea, and when you already have a toon with that background you don't really need that much help). It also favors playing one character over several, since you have to center on one to get those completionists before you can benefit from this system.

The basic idea, The guide, is good. Many people have suggested similar things over the years, and I don't take credit away from Dom for suggesting its use, because it really is something that can work very well. But the implementation does not seem appropriate to me. It is not appropriate to reserve it only for completionists. It seems excessive to me to give a life every 3 days.

Reduce the grind, yes, it has gotten out of hand. But not that either.

My idea is not perfect, I'm not saying that's the right thing to do. But I try to throw ideas at the devs that could be useful to reduce the grind, still leaving a lot to do, reducing the entry paywall for the new players, but adding ideas that could make them money too in the long run.

You can certainly think of other things that work equally well or better. But please, not things that only work once you have completionists. And yes, I qualify for the idea of Dom with three alts. But I don't think it's the right approach.
If your approach is that everyone can have everything on day 1, that seems boring I'll go spend my money somewhere else. I like having the same toon that I started 17 years ago grow over time and be relevant today.

Dom's idea was open to (good) suggestion, though there were a lot of people, like yourself, that dismissed it over a very minor difference like you describe above. This is one of the reasons the game makes very little progress; the user base has no idea what they want, even though they write thousands of words here.

Lazuli

I also have to say that if Dom removes the requirement to be a completionist and limits the maximum number of PLs per character that can be obtained this way, I would have voted in favor. The basic idea, as I say, is very good. The details not so much.

Lazuli

If your approach is that everyone can have everything on day 1, that seems boring I'll go spend my money somewhere else. I like having the same toon that I started 17 years ago grow over time and be relevant today.

Dom's idea was open to (good) suggestion, though there were a lot of people, like yourself, that dismissed it over a very minor difference like you describe above. This is one of the reasons the game makes very little progress; the user base has no idea what they want, even though they write thousands of words here.
Sorry? How does my idea lead to having everything on day 1? That is completely impossible, since to share PLs you have to have three PLs of the class to share, and you only share one of those three PLs. You have to play to be able to share, and then those who have received that PL still have two PLS that they have to play because those cannot be shared.

One third of the PLs are shared. That means that the alts still have to play 2/3 of the PL individually. The suggestions for newcomers are only to give them an entry with more QoL and in any case give them a little push with their first character.

You didn't read my post correctly, Gunga.