Tumble usage limit backfire

Owlbear

if they want to put a tumble limit as an action lets go full action limit like in PnP then is the route I see it heading down a great path to bring RP back to DDO.... NOT. as far as I can tell DDO is the only free moving MMO that implemented a Roll limit.
A lot of other games limit rolls with a stamina bar

Archaic

SSG design process:

Intern: "Well, players seem to agree an internal cooldown on Experimental will solve the zerging, so we don't have to do anything else."

Designer: "Cool... so, lets add charges to regular tumble instead, add some immovable giant green pips and make them look like futuristic
tageting reticules, attach that to Block so the tanks can enjoy the artwork, and we'll get to mess with Rogues again for free. Oh, take that
feedback paperwork into the QA office. We're storing our monthly shred there, since nobody's using that space anyways."

Intern: "But, that's not...".

Designer: "Dismissed. Oh, and pick up some coffee and doughnuts on the way in tomorrow. We're having a meeting to discuss ways to
tie Wizard Spellpower into CON, and add a Stamina bar for chain-casting."
We need a Meat Wizard Tank to Complete this Raid

nix

If experimental tumble was being abused, there's a very easy solution to all of this:

Just revert the tumble system to how it was prior to U56, when experimental tumble was introduced

...But that'd be too simple and would involve too much common sense for SSG
If only they adopted modern software development methods and had a version control system which could help in figuring out which change broke everything^H^H had unintended consequences

tsotate

you still geta minimum of two tumbles you can use back-to-back
Except that you can't use them back to back, because tumbling now roots you between charges (probably for the duration of the buff, so you don't "waste" charges overlapping)

Arsont

Except that you can't use them back to back, because tumbling now roots you between charges (probably for the duration of the buff, so you don't "waste" charges overlapping)
Did you turn off the "Experimental Tumbling controls"? Because this doesn't match my experience.

Kasanje

YouTube Creator
I've noticed the change to tumble mechanic is now preventing spellcasting while blocking. Previously you could hold the block button and cast spells with your character reverting to blocking post-cast. Now you must disengage your block (release shift) before the spell can be cast.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I've noticed the change to tumble mechanic is now preventing spellcasting while blocking. Previously you could hold the block button and cast spells with your character reverting to blocking post-cast. Now you must disengage your block (release shift) before the spell can be cast.
Both experimental tumble toggled on or off is still letting me cast while blocking. Tried it on a couple characters without issues. Guessing there's more beyond just the tumble change causing your issue.

PraetorPlato

ooh! I think I know this issue. Check your key binds—there's a decent chance you don't have shift+x bound to the same thing as x, so when you're blocking, you're invoking a dead key combo (or something else).

I screwed this up with my US moment. Kind of awkward.

Kasanje

YouTube Creator
ooh! I think I know this issue. Check your key binds—there's a decent chance you don't have shift+x bound to the same thing as x, so when you're blocking, you're invoking a dead key combo (or something else).

I'll check my key bindings. Thanks for the suggestion.

Arsont

I've had this happen, but usually in reverse (that is, I forget I DO have a keybind set to Ctrl+ or Alt+ whatever, and end up swapping gear or using a DCD when I don't mean to.

Kasanje

YouTube Creator
My key bindings are clear, the only key the left-shift is set to is Block. I tried toggling the Tumble function in settings, as suggested, but either way, none of my spells can be activated while actively blocking. I have to let go of the button to cast.

Some self-targeted abilities (Lay-on-Hands and Second Wind) do still work while blocking.

I only encountered this after the recent changes to tumbling mechanics, so I infer they are related. Otherwise, I rarely make any changes to the default settings.

pame12

Earlier today I tried using the new tumble to dodge some traps floors and such, but it didn't work and I died... even though I had like 50+ points into tumble.
I tried a second time, but ended up getting this weird lag moment where it looks like you didn't tumble, but the game sort of pushes you like you did tumble? That seems to be happening a lot wit the new mechanic. At any rate, it was really buggy, though luckily I managed to survive by just screwing it and using my spring attack.

It's pretty useless now, I don't even know which situation you can use it in, it's too buggy to work for traps even!
Devs, this isn't DMC here... I'd rather it'd be like DMC, but not on this engine...

Evangelon

At this point, that toggle is just how tumble is activated.
Shift roots you and you do a shield block if you're moving. You can then tumble if you then press a direction afterwards.
vs
Shift tumbles you if you're already moving.
Shift first, then directional. might not suit everyone but thats how I roll.

DDO Gaming

its perfectly fine to say "the new tumble is bullsh*t and not worth having as a feature". If the devs wanted to deprecate tumble in a "nice day" they're doing a God-awesome job

DDO Gaming

Watta ? Not Limited ? Short Delay ? I consume the 2 charges in 1s which require (16s - 1s) to recharge.
I posted that comment after experimenting with it. I never use tumble so the change doesn;t concern me, However I tried tumbling with my half-orc barbarian and completely failed.

So...not only have the devs nerf tumble, they introduced bugs. Way awesome application of money we pay to keep DDO alive.
And I agree...with these changes tumble is almost completely useless aes a core skill

_fully_carroted_

Thief-Acrobat: Tumbler - 3rd core
Thief-Acrobat: Cartwheel Charge - 5th core
Thief-Acrobat: Followthrough - capstone
Deep Gnome: Illusory Escape - Tier 1
Grandmaster of Flowers Destiny Mantle

Usage of above skills (tumbling part) are now artificially limited due to tumble time limit. I've only mentioned extra tumble mechanics that hadn't time limits on their own.
Wasn't tumble time-limit supposed to be only for experimental version of tumble? Or screw Thief-Acrobats?
No, they introduced the new system, it was abused, and instead of reverting until they could implement a better solution, they seemed to slap something together without actually testing it. It's working as designed, but the design is not fun. You get an extra charge or two for a few things (10 ranks, some enhancements, presumably some sets/filigrees/feats will show up eventually as well)

also ruined the pale master skill that gives you invisibility while blocking, now you can barley move at all while using the skill, its virtually gutted garbage now, you wonder if they even considered these skills while implementing the new change
They either didn't think, or considered that use case wasn't important. Hard to say which is more frustrating.

these things break more things than they fix. [...] factor in all the unnecessary and unwanted nerfs
Yes, they tossed a hilariously bad fix in, forgot to include a UI, forgot to test it, and then in another patch, they added some charges and the worst UI element they could find in their asset database.

I've never used experimental tumble and didn't care about people using/abusing it, but even not being able to tumble around for fun, while someone is DCed in a raid for example, feels sad. I know that's not affecting gameplay in any way, but that's one hamfisted fix.
Agreed - you can't abuse it if you can't use it. Thanks SSG, that's how to make people feel happy.

If experimental tumble was being abused, there's a very easy solution to all of this:

Just revert the tumble system to how it was prior to U56, when experimental tumble was introduced

...But that'd be too simple and would involve too much common sense for SSG
I've been saying this over and over. They burned dev time on a fix that was obviously halfassed, and then burned more dev time with minor tweaks. But that's like trying to blow out a house fire as if it were a birthday candle. Should have just reverted and replanned it.

tumble usage hasn;t been limited. In essence a short delay has been introduced to prevent constant tumbling