U60 Lammania Preview 1 Harbor Tavern Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torc

Systems Developer
We've done some minor changes to the flow of the early game involving taverns in the harbor. Tavern keepers in the harbor can now be asked for "Quest Leads" and grant vector quests leading to the various quests around the harbor. This structure is an early prototype to help with new player onboarding. There is also a bit of info about favor and the compendium there.

To look at this just talk to the barkeeps in the Wayward Lobster or the Leaky Dingy.

If you want to look at the full flow start a new character and do the Baudry Cartamon line, and he'll vector you to the wayward lobster.

-T

Zaszgul

Suggestion: Make Keep on the Borderlands free to everyone, and try to funnel all new players into that instead of Korthos/Harbor. Maybe even get rid of Jeets/The Beach entirely and create a new, more engaging player 101 quest (you guys can do a better job with your newer tools than when the Grotto was created 15? years ago).

KotB is much stronger content, with much higher production values (the voiceovers are excellent, the graphics/scenery are prettier, the variety of mobs is more engaging, the loot is actually relevant) and is a much better bet for hooking new players against the landscape of modern MMOs.

Korthos and Harbor feel quite dated by comparison and frankly will never have the same success rate in retaining new players in 2023+.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Suggestion: Make Keep on the Borderlands free to everyone, and try to funnel all new players into that instead of Korthos/Harbor. Maybe even get rid of Jeets/The Beach entirely and create a new, more engaging player 101 quest (you guys can do a better job with your newer tools than when the Grotto was created 15? years ago).

KotB is much stronger content, with much higher production values (the voiceovers are excellent, the graphics/scenery are prettier, the variety of mobs is more engaging, the loot is actually relevant) and is a much better bet for hooking new players against the landscape of modern MMOs.

Korthos and Harbor feel quite dated by comparison and frankly will never have the same success rate in retaining new players in 2023+.
One of the most amazing moments in the entire game is when the dragon walks underneath the player standing on the ice in final quest on Korthos. Even all these years later, that short moment of watching it beneath me still brings me joy when I do that quest. If they were to ditch Korthos, it would make me sad for such a beautifully scripted scene to be lost.

Uppsy

One of the most amazing moments in the entire game is when the dragon walks underneath the player standing on the ice in final quest on Korthos. Even all these years later, that short moment of watching it beneath me still brings me joy when I do that quest. If they were to ditch Korthos, it would make me sad for such a beautifully scripted scene to be lost.
I would love to one day us be the dragon bait :D

Zaszgul

I didn't even notice that the first time I played that quest. Maybe I was moving too slow, or didn't have the camera pointed right, idk.

Also the sleeping devourer in Stopping the Sahuagin -- never saw it my first time through, just saw a puzzle to solve. Even today, what's in that cage fails to visually impress. The narrative falls apart when the scenic direction isn't clear.

The design of Korthos isn't terrible, and it has some moments if you catch them. But the production values are certainly worse than KotB for a lot of reasons.

They could make Korthos and Harbor more up to par... but then they'd have to spend resources redoing all of those quests. Funneling new people into KotB is more efficient. That said, I'd certainly enjoy a refresh of those quests, they are definitely stale to me after so many years.

Also, my suggestion isn't to get rid of Korthos entirely - just the beach/grotto. You'd still be able to get to Korthos from the Harbor, or from a brand new player origination zone.

PsychoBlonde

Cartographer Extraordinary
This sounds cool and I think it'd be a great addition to tavern keepers in other areas, particularly if each tavern keeper is set to direct you on to the "next" one once you finish their quests.

I actually suggested something like this years ago, having a meta-quest that gradually sends you around the game to the various taverns, which help introduce you to each new zone.

Lanadazia

Suggestion: use Jeets, Talbron and Cellimas more often to tell new players where to go as they are the first NPCs they will run into and it would seem fitting to have them still help new players find quests.
that is a very nice idea. in general we should see these NPCs more often.
i was a bit sad when they haven't had an appearance in sharn, since they were on all the pictures..

overall any improvement for new player onboarding is VERY welcome!

Uppsy

that is a very nice idea. in general we should see these NPCs more often.
i was a bit sad when they haven't had an appearance in sharn, since they were on all the pictures..

overall any improvement for new player onboarding is VERY welcome!
Finally someone else has said it!!! I also felt the same and was expecting it also with them being on the front and as well as one of the guests in the anniversary party saying that Jeets had a sister up in Sharn.

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
Tutorial quest (make optional to skip so people on 2nd+ lives don't have to go through it). During the quest it is all first person. You are introduced to the different races/classes, brief explanation of skills, feats, enhancements, how to find quests. After the new player makes their character, option to start in Korthos or Borderlands.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
I'll be poping on lamania tomorrow. I look forward to checking things out, any heads up on what needs to be looked over is always appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.