U60 Lammania Preview 1 Harbor Tavern Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altra

Suggestion: Make Keep on the Borderlands free to everyone, and try to funnel all new players into that instead of Korthos/Harbor. Maybe even get rid of Jeets/The Beach entirely and create a new, more engaging player 101 quest (you guys can do a better job with your newer tools than when the Grotto was created 15? years ago).

KotB is much stronger content, with much higher production values (the voiceovers are excellent, the graphics/scenery are prettier, the variety of mobs is more engaging, the loot is actually relevant) and is a much better bet for hooking new players against the landscape of modern MMOs.

Korthos and Harbor feel quite dated by comparison and frankly will never have the same success rate in retaining new players in 2023+.
I'd love this idea IF it included Coin Lords rep. Newer players (that haven't yet bought extra backpack space NEED that)

Scrag

Why can't we have more positive changes like this, and less misguided changes like the XP changes?

In fact, this is the only update that I have been through where the negative vastly outweighs the positive. The new tree + this change are great QoL items that are fun, engaging, and (in the case of the new tree) entice me to make Yet Another Character. And I don't run through the low level stuff enough to know by heart where all of the quests are. The harbor change is something that will make my lives much easier!

dunklezhan

Me too. Legendary Korthos where go down the left side at the start would be awesome.
yes.

Good call ssg on the signposting additions. Suggest you don't stop at the harbour though. Make it a standard bartender thing for stormreach itself if you possibly can. Once you bounce out to areas outside of Stormreach there are usually chain or saga givers etc. which reduce the need for it.

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets
Feedback

This is both thematic and brilliant! Just simply wonderful.

I'll need to go back through this with a fresh character to suggest any tweaks, but the simple idea of tavernkeepers giving out direction to quests in the area is just sooo good!

The info I was able to see was amazing too. Compendium info, quest suggestions, give me all of them option, the extra lore... genuinely blown away with how nice this is.

Well done.

Bazgrim

One of the biggest things needed for new players is some sort of in-your-face notification to go level up at your class trainer and another for allocating enhancement points.

Boondocks Mike

Suggestion: Make Keep on the Borderlands free to everyone, and try to funnel all new players into that instead of Korthos/Harbor. Maybe even get rid of Jeets/The Beach entirely and create a new, more engaging player 101 quest (you guys can do a better job with your newer tools than when the Grotto was created 15? years ago).

KotB is much stronger content, with much higher production values (the voiceovers are excellent, the graphics/scenery are prettier, the variety of mobs is more engaging, the loot is actually relevant) and is a much better bet for hooking new players against the landscape of modern MMOs.

Korthos and Harbor feel quite dated by comparison and frankly will never have the same success rate in retaining new players in 2023+.

I definitely don't think they should scrap Korthos or the harbor quests. It isn't necessary, especially if they made KotB the default low level experience, and would just mean less content.

Korthos/harbor is also part of the original story of the game and it would be super weird to just remove or change it. If nothing else let it just serve as a nostalgia trip.

I would much rather see dev time spent on actually new content.

Cheeps

Tired Member
Leaky Dingy?!

Wow, I haven't been there since Maryle Tallow vanished from the harbour.

Any word on what happened to her?

Docjekyll

Good change. Change good.

Glad to see some attention going here. My immediate follow-up thought when looking at the harbor taverns is about the brawling arenas, which is a neat idea from a very different time in DDO's history. They're still useful for goofing off occasionally, or broadcasting amusing "obituaries" on Hardcore, but I imagine they would be quite confusing and/or disappointing as a new player.

If I step into the Wayward Lobster, the arena NPC is one of 4 NPCs with a special icon (and it's arguably the most visually interesting icon) but it's functionally a content dead-end. If I were a new player, I might reasonably gravitate towards the arena NPC, read a bunch of information about the arena system and then later discover from talking with other players that it is basically dead (and therefore I wasted my time learning about it).

That would be a huge red flag if I were considering getting into DDO. How many other systems in this game might waste my time like that? Are these things in the store I can pay for also connected to dead systems? How can I tell a dead system from a live system if I'm a shy person who isn't particularly comfortable asking more experienced players?

Anyway, that would probably be my next target after quest hinting/"vectoring" if I were looking at tightening up that new player onboarding funnel.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
Personally, I don't really think DDO's tutorial quests need a second rework - Korthos isn't perfect, and some of the stuff feels a little outdated, but it's miles better than the disjointed "training room" concept the game had at launch (disclaimer: I never saw those quests in first person because I joined years after Korthos came to be, but from what I can tell from the information still on the wiki, they were as bland and basic as it was possible to be.) Plus, it would be a shame to lose what is overall a quite enjoyable storyline.

I don't know - maybe people are just sick of having to do it to get started on Hardcore?

At any rate, this vector system sounds like a good idea - I remember being rather overwhelmed the first time I walked into the Harbor and saw just how many different questgivers there were at once.

Argavyon

While I'd absolutely love for more content to be F2P - particularly old packs which aren't otherwise worth buying (Tangleroot Gorge anyone?) - I don't think Korthos should really be replaced. It has decent quests that are excellent at teaching mechanics.

There's jumping, there's swimming, there's ladders, there's levers, there's locks, there's traps, there's hidden doors and mechanisms - like that one barrel on the Collaborator quest - there's bosses, there's random bosses, there's puzzles, there's stealthy mobs there's wilderness walking, ... all of that on a fairly understandable and instructive manner.

What it might be missing is some more teaching how to play your class, like preparing spells, getting components, picking enhancements, levelling up and knowing what to pick when you do, items with their enchantments, ...

Argavyon

Could the vector system also work with quests on the Adventure Compendium? It'd be great if it pointed me to the questgiver NPC and the area where the quest is at - or the Wilderness where it can be found if the entrance is there.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
Got a chance to check it out last night and this looks perfect for new people coming in and need some on-boarding. The only thing I would suggest is more vectoring for new users towards these points of interest (as you leave Korthos would be good).

saekee

long live ROGUE
always a good sign when devs pay attention to new player retention.
Devs add potion stacks to harbor npc reward list—12 remove curse pots, for example, or fox cunning etc etc.

Buddha5440

Me too. Legendary Korthos where go down the left side at the start would be awesome.
I love the idea. :)

It could even be a combo quest/raid (if possible)... A small raid group (maybe 3-5 and higher/epic lv) runs the quest (left side) with you or 2-4 others, of entry lv an simultaneously, run the right path. Would be a really cool way to introduce new players to established players.

Lorrgar

DDO Official Troubadour
Suggestion: use Jeets, Talbron and Cellimas more often to tell new players where to go as they are the first NPCs they will run into and it would seem fitting to have them still help new players find quests.
This is a really good idea. Also, when the final quest in Korthos or in Borderlands is completed (the saga end reward), add in another option about additional quests to direct players to the Harbor and Market. You could even put the Mayor of Korthos and Norwoth Koln (saga reward NPC) in the Harbor right outside the entrance to Gatekeepers Grove. They could direct the new player to talk to certain people within the Harbor and mention going into the Marketplace to meet Friar Renau (Xatacombs chain) or Montague Goudrea (Coin Lords chain).

Once Borderlands and/or Korthos sage is complete the NPCs could say, "I am travelling to Stormreach today. Now that I know you are a successful adventurer, meet me in the Harbor and I will introduce you to a few friends of mine. If you aid them in their struggles, I am sure they would fill your pocket with silver and gold."

Status
Not open for further replies.