U62 Preview 1 General Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Have you tried it on Legendary Reaper? Because that makes it miserable. Especially if you get a bad draw on the Icon's location.

On the other hand, the current proposed changes are pretty unpopular as well, so we'll have to see how that goes...
I run it in R10 pugs pretty regularly. Whilst yes, completion times can vary widely, and the challenge of completion accordingly, that is part of the fun IMO. I get more enjoyment out of completing SIA than any other quest in that Expansion principally due to the uncertainty. Tough, yes at times, miserable though, never. YMMV 👍

The mob density is too high though IMO. I'd agree on that.

Alrik Fassbauer

"Sealed in ember is fine" = "We want Newbies to have a loooong learning lesson" ...

RThose who say it is too fine are struck by that "curse of knowledge" (Wikipedia article), meaning that they just are unable to imagine the problems an inexperienced group has.

I did it several times with my regular guild group. And, from my experience, there are quite a lot of details which can make it from a speedrun into a slow run. Missing jump potions or spells being one of that.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
"Sealed in ember is fine" = "We want Newbies to have a loooong learning lesson" ...

RThose who say it is too fine are struck by that "curse of knowledge" (Wikipedia article), meaning that they just are unable to imagine the problems an inexperienced group has.

I did it several times with my regular guild group. And, from my experience, there are quite a lot of details which can make it from a speedrun into a slow run. Missing jump potions or spells being one of that.

Yeah, new players aren't really a good excuse for anything. New players can get lost in any quest; the same way I get lost and take ages the first time doing newly added quests to the game. Had a player on discord the other day confused by WW part 3, they'd pulled the valves and then ran around lost because they didn't realize they needed to jump down next.

But the changes dont make it easier for a new player if anything the changes guarantees new players will need to take the long route
It guarantees we'll be taking the long route :cry: A few these changes are probably good for more casual players that never learned how to do it quick; but they took it to an extreme and dulled things down for the non-casual side.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
In the current state, I´d be surprised if many new players stick around long enough to even see Ravenloft
Anyone who comes to the community discord is already a bit of an outlier in that they spent enough effort to pop on there to get help; so I couldn't fully assume where the average new player's experience might be like. But we've had people with issues like:

They couldn't create an account because the password system wants something basic like "123ABC" and they tried something like "!23@BC" which would give them just a generic error and no explantion that it was because of the password vs some other issue; we have to tell them to use a bad password choice and then change it to be secure after account creation.

They couldn't get the game to run after installing and players helped walk them thru a ton of things to try. https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?th...-as-crowdsourced-by-many-players-advice.1666/ is direct copy and and pastes of pins we had in our help channel of various things the player base had helped with (a few new things have been added since then to that forum post).

Then there's all the in-game stuff:
How to use hot bars (the surprise when someone who's been playing for a while sees us talking about double slotting spells, once with metas and and once without, and they'd never known that).

Or when Misery's Peak crashes when someone is taking the portal out. It prevents turning in the quest. The fix is "leave Korthos (either to borderlands or mainland), come back to Korthos, and now you can turn the quest in". Surely every new player should be able to solve this bug on their own with no outside help, right? And oddly, this has come up multiple times so it's not a one-off rare thing.

Or where to quest next. Luckily we can link them nice wiki stuff like https://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Free_to_Play_quests and https://ddowiki.com/page/Quests_by_Adventure_Pack

It's amazing all the hoops new players may (or may not) have to deal with when starting out.

AbyssalMage

I´m starting to lose hope for this game.
With all the bugs and more pressing problems, this is what they chose as a priority ?

How about fixing the mob AI they broke a few patches ago ? That would improve my experience...
To be fair, Amber Temple was a great quest on release. Then they "improved the experience" because the SSG developer feelings were hurt that we enjoyed it and used it for xp. Seems they need to "improve the experience" once again because they player base didn't learn our lesson from the last time. 😭 🤬💩

Cheeps

Tired Member
One patch to "fix" things and one patch to fix things. Then it's time for a €120 expansion.
I usually wait a week before logging back on after an update after they "fix" things.

Gives them time to fix the things they "fixed" and I don't have to worry about losing gear in the bank or server roll back.

I also haven't bothered paying money for expansions since ravenloft and with this amber temple "fix" I want my money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.