U66 Monk 20

Ying

5000+ hours played
After playing Last Epoch which has really zippy gameplay, I needed to play a build with maximum move speed. I've been running this since U66 dropped and ran through a full set of R10s at level cap. I'm very happy with the results. I primarily put this doc together for my guildies, and decided to share it here for the benefit of others. Compared to other excellent monk builds posted here, it's got updated Epic Destinies that reflect the U66 revamp. I favor using Drifting Lotus for trash mobs and Adrenaline for bosses. It's also got one of the most elegent gearsets I've ever seen in the game.

U66 Aasimar Monk 20

woq

Very hot. Drifting Lotus post-change is excellent and nice to see builds highlight it.

After playing Last Epoch which has really zippy gameplay, I needed to play a build with maximum move speed. I've been running this since U66 dropped and ran through a full set of R10s at level cap. I'm very happy with the results. I primarily put this doc together for my guildies, and decided to share it here for the benefit of others. Compared to other excellent monk builds posted here, it's got updated Epic Destinies that reflect the U66 revamp. I favor using Drifting Lotus for trash mobs and Adrenaline for bosses. It's also got one of the most elegent gearsets I've ever seen in the game.

U66 Aasimar Monk 20
Thank you so much for sharing your builds. So well thought out. I always use your builds. Top notch.

Nickodeamous

U66 Aasimar Monk 20
Thanks Ying! Neo and I had talked about this as well. I have everything farmed out, but haven't pulled the trigger to actually swap!! lol

I am kinda waiting for Myth Drannor and lev cap expansion to see what new gear comes up. Very solid! I'm honestly trying to figure out how I would spend 8 more ED points when lev cap goes up. Part of me thinks 2 for MRR cap expansion, and the rest for some dps. I figure that we wont get a core expansion until lev 36, but if that's an option, I'll have to see.

Thanks again for sharing. very fun build for sure!
Nic

Pineapple

On the gear set, I get that there is a lot that goes into tradeoffs with different items but is there any particular reason why you don't try slot perfected jidz tetka, primarily for the 10 MRR cap, and 1 additional exceptional wisdom.

Not sure how much MRR you need for it to be relevant in R10s but given that you are slotting the ring set it seems like you have it in a spot where you're not getting one shot by spells. Is there a number you were aiming for with the MRR cap?

Ying

5000+ hours played
I'm honestly trying to figure out how I would spend 8 more ED points when lev cap goes up.
I think you're right about the 5th core not being available until the level increase after Myth Drannor. If nothing else changes, slamming 8 AP into Shadow Dancer for the Epic Strike so I can debuff a boss with Shadow Loss and Bring Darkness is a solid option. Unless we get some crazy enemy dots in Myth Drannor, I think 100 MRR is pretty reasonable.

Not sure yet what I'd take for the level 34 ED feat I expect we're getting with Myth Drannor. We might see some new options.

Ying

5000+ hours played
On the gear set, I get that there is a lot that goes into tradeoffs with different items but is there any particular reason why you don't try slot perfected jidz tetka, primarily for the 10 MRR cap, and 1 additional exceptional wisdom.

Not sure how much MRR you need for it to be relevant in R10s but given that you are slotting the ring set it seems like you have it in a spot where you're not getting one shot by spells. Is there a number you were aiming for with the MRR cap?
The handwraps have Exceptional WIS 2. 100 MRR is already solid enough to deal with dots. So Perfected Jidz provides nothing compelling to me.

Nickodeamous

Unless we get some crazy enemy dots in Myth Drannor, I think 100 MRR is pretty reasonable.
agreed. yeah, I'm at 90 MRR with my current setup already (pre U66), and its very reasonable in R10. Oh, I like your suggestion for SD. thanks!

Sheikra

Hey Ying! Love monk, looking forward to giving this a whirl -- can you speak to power attack vs precision? I've generally defaulted to power attack for rage/thf and precision otherwise.

Ying

5000+ hours played
Hey Ying! Love monk, looking forward to giving this a whirl -- can you speak to power attack vs precision? I've generally defaulted to power attack for rage/thf and precision otherwise.
I've ditched Precision on melee builds for Power Attack. But I've also got all the relevant past lives, and the best gear. It's personal calculus you'll have to solve for your own situation.

Nickodeamous

Couple of quick questions for you.

Does this take into account reaper helm as well? Or would that be lumped on top of ability scores?
Seems like ability scores listed may be while in reaper/deadly instinct. Can you confirm?
Any reaper frag boosts loaded here? seems like there may be some to get to 327.

Looks like this is fully loaded with some of the items I list above, but just wondering.

Thanks!
Nic

DBZ

MD coming in 3 months will probably have the best hats and rings if they want to sell it

Ying

5000+ hours played
The stats/DCs in the build file include a reaper hat enchant. The DCs reflect Deadly Instinct. The MP reflects the reaper boosted gear I have. Consider it what a near-optimal monk can look like (some gear isn't reaper boosted). Then unwind it from there if you don't have some of the past lives, gear, etc.

Polylove

Hey there Ying, great write up.

quick question - I know aasimar has been bis for monk for sometime. I was on a imbue based dragon lord last life and got me thinking of how to get an imbue on a wraps monk. Have you ever considered running drow since you're racial comp? Sora kell has 3 artifact imbue dice, can get 2 more from curses alone - then can grab a couple from drow racial tree and can maybe pick some up via EDs as well.

Would love your thoughts! As i was thinking the drow imbue would out dps the 10 mp you get from aasimar. You'd lose dc's as well but like everything in ddo its all about balance and tradeoffs

Ying

5000+ hours played
Feel free to do the work and post the Sora Kell gear set. I'm positive you'll be giving up something fundamental like maximizing Assassinate DCs or Dread Stalker set bonuses. Not to mention you're losing Lay on Hands, 10 MP, +3 flat dmg, 40 HAMP and 2 DCs from -4 WIS. Not worth it IMO for a couple of imbue dice.