Update 63 Preview 1: Deck of Many Curses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratman

I like the idea, but REALLY think we need a way to reroll or overwrite. If things are permanent, it's very anti-grouping because people aren't going to want to pass loot ever unless it's something none of their characters will EVER use. Not only is that bad for raids it's bad for normal grouping too, very newbie-unfriendly. Also it's just going to suck up more storage space when that's already a serious problem. People are going to loot tons more named gear to throw in the bank to curse later, blech.

The challenge quests (or whatever they are) are already the farming aspect of this sytem, no need to make it more complicated/annoying and then double that. I'm assuming these quests aren't 3 min zergs? And/or the cards aren't 100% each completion?

Either way, a mildly efforty reroll system would make the system way more interesting. Doesn't have to be FREE, but definitely not something insane like the gem of many facets. Give us something to do with the zillion siberys dragonshards, or I'd be fine with 500 mysterious remnants or something. Like i said, it shouldn't be overly cumbersome because getting the cards from the extreme challenges is the grindy part.
100%. Overwrite is a must have. Reaper frag 75 deal is RIDICULOUS that you can’t unslot all that work and put it on a new piece of gear. I do not care if it cost me shards or DDOP to do. Unslottibg and reslotting is a must.

Falkor

Modifying the crafting system so we can add mythic could be just as grindy as reaper crafting.

Instead, we get a whole new grindy crafting system that nobody asked for.

When I hear your response, this is what I hear .... "Making a brand new arbitrary crafting based on a detested crafting system that nobody uses, one with negative side effects, defeats the purpose of keeping people engaged and feeling rewarded."

There is far more to my question than 'making stuff mythic' in crafting. That is an example. I hope you can see the bigger picture rather than nit picking an example.

Here is another example : Heart seeds and commendations of valor don't auto-stack upon acquisition. They never have. This is an easy quality of life change. Why has this never been implemented? How hard would it be to do that? How many times has the community requested this? I know I'm not the first.

Instead, we get an entire new crafting system, amongst a pile of nearly obsolete and abandoned crafting systems that very few people use, if at all.

So perhaps it'll help to lift up my point : Development like this is what makes me wonder about SSGs decision making process and vision.

They've had some great wins over the years. I'd like to hope feedback would help more wins happen.

As is, this is a loss and dead on arrival. Which also equates to wasted developer time, on-going neglect of other issues, and in my personal opinion, a total waste of money, time and effort.

Illuminate me. How is that fiscally responsible? What am I not seeing?

Perhaps there is something amazing about this that will attract new players, lure back the ones who have left, and make current players just go WOW OMG YAY! and renew their VIP subscription?

This reduces lag how?

This addresses the constant disconnect issues and loading screen bugs how?

And do you honestly believe this system isn't going to be riddled with bugs?

For some reason, I keep remembering the cards and card cruncher waaay back at the height of the duping craze. I just can't help but see this as another opportunity to benefit exploiters, and offering no joy or game play value for the community at large.

What does this crafting system add to the game and what does it really provide players?

Last edited:

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
Just a thought for devs and staff:

DDO is a game where we players can plan our character to very deep levels/details. We know what feat to take at which level, what item we need, what combinations, etc. Every detail of our DDO playtime is planned and determined by us. And we love this! WE love THIS in this awesome game!

Some minor randomness is ok to break the never ending "DDO TETRIS" but the total opposit just makes every player frustrated.
We love this game cause we can influence and decide on the very details of our DDO characters and lifes. Depending on luck or aything else in this game is just a NO GO!
This is the direct opposite of a DDO player's mentality and or thinking.

Tesrali (sam-u-r-eye)

DDO is a game where we players can plan our character to very deep levels/details. We know what feat to take at which level, what item we need, what combinations, etc. Every detail of our DDO playtime is planned and determined by us. And we love this! WE love THIS in this awesome game!

Some minor randomness is ok to break the never ending "DDO TETRIS" but the total opposit just makes every player frustrated.
We love this game cause we can influence and decide on the very details of our DDO characters and lifes. Depending on luck or aything else in this game is just a NO GO!
Don't speak for me.
I don't know where in people's minds they thought Dungeons and Dragons was a non-RNG experience.

The symbol for the game are dice for the love of puck.

Tesrali (sam-u-r-eye)

If DDO was based on a D20 system it would be fine but the odds of getting a perfect item are closer to 1 in 1000 than 1 in 20
Early item generators were very humble in their addition of player power, which seems to me, to be very similar to this fortune system. The gains are humble and random.

Many early generators provided items which did things. I wish DDO would move more towards this type of "tool" loot design rather than "power" loot design.

axel15810

Others mentioned something similar and one thing struck me that I'd like to add.

I'd much prefer if this system instead of giving new stacking bonuses and adding a brand new bonus type and new layer of optimization, instead was an expansion/update of the mythic bonuses, reaper bonuses and/or reaper crafting system. Mythic is fine as is but reaper crafting is something few engage with. Maybe the devs could take this concept and apply it to that. Maybe make cards give you a random reaper or mythic value bonus, or you could do a much longer grind of reaper fragments for the ability to craft a guaranteed reaper bonus. Or continue to grind base items in quests hoping to get a better mythic value. While also adding in ways to recraft the bonuses.

Just a thought.

Contessor

Might I suggest a curse being a temporary thing if it cannot be rerolled? I would love to see the decks changed to a high drop rate, with a 50/50 shot at negative and positives with a higher potential effect on the upside than downside. But all curses last 1 week and dissappear. And your item is locked from being removed with any effect.

It could be like a potion of wonder. Heck people still collect those.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved

100% Agreed!

"The symbol for the game are dice for the love of puck." as other pointed out... a d20 is a 1 on 20 chance... where sucess and failure CAN be mitigated for the players choices, customizations and actions. Even rolling a 1 isn't a failure if building correctly. So yeah... not as much RNG as pure game of chance.

Which bother me most with the Cursed Card idea is that more and more DDO is delving into re-use PoE mechanics... this card idea looks so much with the Divination card system without giving an item when a deck is completed.

Last edited:

rabidfox

The People's Champion
What RNG system do you think is bad?

RNG, to me, is never really bad unless the thing being gated is content. In Path of Exile they have made the mistake previously of gating bosses behind extreme RNG and it made them inaccessible. I guess I don't view gear the same way---especially since gear in DDO is not build-enabling like it is in Path of Exile. Our gear doesn't make a certain build play completely differently---they are just marginal increases. This fortune system is just marginal increases.
DDO is a game of marginal increases. Every past life, extra DP/AP from tomes, every augment, mythic boosts, reaper boosts, tetrising and re-augmenting gear just a for a tiny gain. Entire groups of people play around that concept, and entire groups of people play without giving it much thought; DDO has a wide array of players out there. These new quest are extreme challenge at cap aimed at endgame players, so it's going to bring out the people the squeeze every ounce of power from their characters that will repeat these quests over and over for the curses.

The simple question is this, do you grind mythic/reaper boosted gear currently to optimize your tetris?
If you do then you'll likely be one of the voices that wants to be able to remove/overwrite the curses as the current grind is already quite massive to optimize.
If you do don't then you might not care about the curse grind and being able to remove them as you'd likely be happy to just toss anything on your gear.

Xezon

DDO is a game of marginal increases. Every past life, extra DP/AP from tomes, every augment, mythic boosts, reaper boosts, tetrising and re-augmenting gear just a for a tiny gain. Entire groups of people play around that concept, and entire groups of people play without giving it much thought; DDO has a wide array of players out there. These new quest are extreme challenge at cap aimed at endgame players, so it's going to bring out the people the squeeze every ounce of power from their characters that will repeat these quests over and over for the curses.

The simple question is this, do you grind mythic/reaper boosted gear currently to optimize your tetris?
If you do then you'll likely be one of the voices that wants to be able to remove/overwrite the curses as the current grind is already quite massive to optimize.
If you do don't then you might not care about the curse grind and being able to remove them as you'd likely be happy to just toss anything on your gear.
I personally am not a reaper gear grinder, but I would still argue that at the bare minimum there should be a remove and retry option, even if it's like the augment system where you need a certain item to remove the curse.

Something like a Cleanse Curse Card. Grinding would still be required to get said card to remove a curse on an item, but then you're at the least not needing to double grind (for the replacement item AND curse cards).

I like the concept, even if it is another level of power creep. It gives something else to end game grind for those of us off the TR treadmill.

One big request: PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THESE RAID ONLY!

1 in 1000... it seems like a very generous estimate... 😅
im still 100% of the believe that the mysterious bauble is but a myth for this very reason...... why did they every think any one would be happy with perma locking the wrong buff on such an item or any item would be good.... they could just let our weapons gain there past life bonuses again (ld's w, aboreas +1 enhancement etc.)

Matuse

All of those marginal increases are completely predictable in their nature. And none of them are random except whether or not you will get a mythic/reaper bonus. If a reincarnation gave you a CHANCE at a past life bonus, and you only had so many past life bonus slots to fill before they capped out, who would be doing them? Also, a mythic/reaper bonus will stack with another mythic/reaper bonus on another item. If you have your super fancy decked out attuned dino bone melee weapon with max mythic and max reaper bonuses, and you roll the curse of minor ranged power...that's a whole bunch of grinding/farming for something that is TOTALLY USELESS for you. Or what if you roll the minor melee power boost, except wait, you already had the major melee bonus on your necklace, so the new effect doesn't stack and is once again: TOTALLY USELESS.

I don't believe anyone has found any of these card drops as yet, but it seems as though you'll get them from these new dungeons. On the generous assumption that you get 1 card per dungeon (which honestly I don't think will be the case, I think they will fit into the named drop table and you have a 1:9 chance of getting 1 card on an Elite completion), that's 48 dungeon runs to get 1 random deck. That's an absurd amount of grind in order to get something which has a really good chance of being totally useless.

I'm actually pretty heavily offended by the "Make this item worth 10,000 sentient XP" curse. Angry about it, even. It's the devs saying "Hey, that nice item which you spent all that time acquiring, we're going to make it garbage and then rub the fact that it's garbage in your face because we're taunting you to destroy it and giving you a pittance in return". They made that curse with the deliberate intent that you would junk the item. I'm disgusted that the developers would show that much contempt for their players.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
I'm actually pretty heavily offended by the "Make this item worth 10,000 sentient XP" curse. Angry about it, even. It's the devs saying "Hey, that nice item which you spent all that time acquiring, we're going to make it garbage and then rub the fact that it's garbage in your face because we're taunting you to destroy it and giving you a pittance in return". They made that curse with the deliberate intent that you would junk the item. I'm disgusted that the developers would show that much contempt for their players.
I was afraid to say that and people gang up on me! Thank God you said that!

Status
Not open for further replies.