Update 63 Preview 1: Deck of Many Curses

Status
Not open for further replies.

PersonMan

Runes do not cover everything. I ran 40 skeletons, got 0 tar augments and just had a break after that.
Correct, can't rune buy your Meridian Fragment from FoTP either. For the items you can buy with runes there is now a mercy system. Buying sands items with Bronze Tokens is another mercy system.
Maybe one day they will change their mind and let us buy the good loot from skeletons. If they let you buy it for 2500 then you might say, "man that RNG was terrible, but at least I have it now."

popejubal

as it stands right now, it indeed is a curse. heaving only one shot at potently getting what you need with odds way less that standard gambling odds and no chance to fix it, is just bad.
You're doing fine with the gear you have now, so none of this is a "need". Having only one shot at getting what you *want* is true, but none of this is a "need".

Contessor

You're doing fine with the gear you have now, so none of this is a "need". Having only one shot at getting what you *want* is true, but none of this is a "need".
But the point is if the system is there, it shouldn't be RNG and one and done. Otherwise why bother if very few will actually be using it.

Onyxia2016

I do not see me using this new system on an item that took a bit to farm.
May play around using easy to come by items that I don't really care about but without a way to restore/remove/replace the RNG effect this will be a novelty at best.

Seems like a lot of dev time with little buy in potential from the players.

Hammatimes

The grind in DDO is already insane but there's a lot of insanely invested players that only live for that grind and have nothing else to do. If the bonuses are just numerical increases then that's not as alienating to the rest of the player base as effects that completely change or enable a build.
The best part about DDO is the build customization and that's why racial AP and the new EPL system with extra destiny points is so awful for players that don't want to slave away at the endless grind because they actually prevent players from building what they want without having all the lives.
If the ability to create a favored weapon via curses goes live please consider an alternative, more definitive way to also add this curse or favored weapon status to weapons even if it's a game wide scavenger hunt quest like Steps quest, Crimson Covenant quest or the Nebula quest.

Ahpuch

That isn't how the psychology of the gamers work. If they try to get something they want and get nothing useful on an item they worked hard to get, it will be perceived as a loss. That perception will irritate players. Why create a system that has such a high chance of irritating players or alternatively be ignored?

popejubal

No. If it becomes best in slot, it's a need as much as playing a game or paying money to support it is.
It's going to be the item that people will chase because they want it, but when someone says they "need" an item, it sounds to me like they're saying they can't progress without it. There are very few items in game that someone needs in order to play and have fun - the chase is the game. Once you have the item, you're done.

So many pages here and not enough time on my lunch break to read all the way to the end and post a possible variation. Apologies if someone already suggested this.

1. Rename Curses to Boon

2. Make it a recipe crafting system like LGS.

Just an idea on what I’d do if I was given the opportunity to improve on it.

Carry on!

rabidfox

The People's Champion
It's going to be the item that people will chase because they want it, but when someone says they "need" an item, it sounds to me like they're saying they can't progress without it. There are very few items in game that someone needs in order to play and have fun - the chase is the game. Once you have the item, you're done.
I'd need it to min/max my setup; the addition of curses shifts the min/max possibilities. I don't need anything to do content. I could run everything on casual if I wanted. I don't have to min/max nor tetris my gear to do stuff. I don't have to do past lives and play a bunch. I don't need to farm out yugo favor for pots. I don't need to spend money on the game to reroll chests. I don't have to buy new content for new gear. Etc. But if SSG wants me to not feel burned out by a mechanic that makes me want to have it, then they need to make sure it's obtainable in a way that's fun to me.

Scrag

Maybe one day they will change their mind and let us buy the good loot from skeletons. If they let you buy it for 2500 then you might say, "man that RNG was terrible, but at least I have it now."
They keep reiterating there is no way in hell they will grant the goodness from secret chests (or really, anything?) from skellies. Which is obtuse, but whatever their game.

I would like to be able to convert one set of runes to another because dino bone gear only for dread runes is not exactly very useful. It is just one grind into another (grind runes, grind bones, grind pearls, profit?)

Kitty2Meow

To SteelStar and Dev Team,

Because the list of the the benefits is pretty big already (even after all the effects being removed/replaced/adjusted based on players' feedback), would it be possible to apply the rules similar to Cannith Crafting when trading the card deck to a specific slot? ie. Goggles slot can only have True Sight, Accuracy, Deadly, ....

So that we can at least set our expectation for what benefit we may get for a specific slot (and minimize the chance of getting the same benefit on multiple slots). But of course being able to remove/re-apply would be appreciated.

And during the crafting, please give us a preview list of all the benefits for a specific slot. ie, when you put a goggles into the crafting machine, it will give you a full list of benefits that the goggles may get. Let say there are 15-20 possible benefits available for goggles, then we will have about 5% to 6.67% of chance getting the benefit we want for that slot.

seph1roth5

But the point is if the system is there, it shouldn't be RNG and one and done. Otherwise why bother if very few will actually be using it.

I think the biggeer problem is that many people will be hoarding items and saving them to possibly curse later. So raiding, sagas, anything with halfway decent loot is going to be much more skewed toward greed. And that's just very bad for new people, and the population in general.

It's like looting a sword of shadows on your sorc and telling the party "This isn't my main but maybe once I'm done with him I'll want a barb life," when there are people in the raid that have been hunting one forever. Yeah runes are in, and it's technically their loot, but it's still a scummy thing to do. At least lie and tell people you're going to use it a lot lol.

Cildar

I'm probably going to bail on playing the game regularly if one can't reroll these things. People like me love working on a best in slot gear set. This dumb ass system will make it impossible and you will end up making the game no fun for me.

Svirfneblin

I won’t be chasing these cards, decks, Curses if there are so many chances of getting something useless / of little value. I’d rather spend that time doing a TR or walking the dog.

I’d prefer to make it something you can acquire then slot in such as the filigree system.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
-Steelstar

Please make a way to remove the "curses" and to try again. Perhaps put a "remove all fortunes" card in the deck. Otherwise... noone will be using this system as it may royally F up their hard earned +reaper/mythic gear.

Lotoc

Looking at the favoured weapon effect I feel it's massively unhealthy to include it in this system.
Ultimately these effects are nice to have but not mandatory which is a good place for them to be in if they can't be rerolled but the Favoured Weapon system is inherently build defining for Divine melees.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy favored weapons as a system, I enjoy playing paladins and warpriest and this is why I am concerned.
Getting favored handwraps enables stuff like razorclaw paladin or warpriest, favored greataxe is something I've wanted for a while but overall this system I feel is very much not the place for something that actually enables your build to work if it's gonna be hardlocked per item while this effect is the singular effect in this system that will be build defining.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
Also---

Just rename it to "Deck of Many Things". I mean Deck of Many Curses just sounds contrived and frankly silly (like someone was really tring hard to make up a name)... even Cord on the stream called it "..Many things" many times because that particular artifact is so widely known in D&D (probably THE most famous magical object.)

Last edited:

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Also---

Just rename it to "Deck of Many Things". I mean Deck of Many Curses just sounds contrived and frankly silly (like someone was really tring hard to make up a name)... even Cord on the stream called it "..Many things" many times because that particular artifact is so widely known in D&D (probably THE most famous magical object.)
Probably as simple as the cost to license that name was expensive. So it gets a generic name.

Status
Not open for further replies.