Update 66 Preview 1 - Tooltip Overhaul

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
Haste SLA from Horizon Walker:
- mentions 0 SP cost in description (remove it as per OP rules)
- mentions 2m CD in description (duplicate)
- doesn't mention duration in bullet points

Dimension Door SLA from Horizon Walker:
- mentions 0 SP cost in description (remove it as per OP rules)
- mentions 10m CD in description (duplicate)

Last edited:

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
Otto's Whistler is using Pin's icon, although this may be WAI. Personally I found the old Otto's Whistler icon to be quite nice (as long as you could remove the "coins" - unless you didn't keep it because you couldn't find a version of it without the coins).

Prism (Shiradi mantle) uses a different icon on the buff bar compared to the new one it got in the ED tree/hotbar. Please check the rest of the trees' mantles, as they likely suffer from this bug too.
Also Prism's buff bar description is completely outdated.

Last edited:

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
When viewing active abilties'/spells' tooltips in the enhancement trees, they don't show the "Duration" bullet point (they show it normally on the hotbar).

No Step Missed: duplicate 20s CD
Corner the Quarry: duplicate 20s CD
Walker's Guidance: duplicate 1m CD

Manyshot: duplicate +1 crit threat, +1 crit multi, 2s CD
Scattershot: duplicate +1 crit threat, +1 crit multi, 2s CD

Tenser's Transformation mentions it requires a Spell Resistance check (?!?).

Stormrage (from Storm in a Bottle): bullet points mention duration 18s (WAI), description mentions duration 12s (not WAI, duplicate, remove).

All 3 kinds of Commendation of Valor potions mention a Caster Level 20, and have no bullet points for Target/Duration (duration is listed in description).

Blood Sacrifice (all 3 versions of Twisted Talisman) doesn't have the HP cost in the bullet points.

"Key to the City - Eveningstar" doesn't mention its "one hour" CD in the bullet points.

Expanded Teleport (expansion pack items) doesn't mention its 1 minute CD in the bullet points - curiously enough each individual destination mentions a 4s CD (not relevant to the player due to aforementioned 1m CD).

Misty Step (Hoirizon Walker T5) mentions "12s cooldown" *four times* in its tooltip.

Gavaleus

I noticed that for some enhancements that give both an SLA and some other stats, the tooltip for the SLA shows those other stats.

For example, the Bombardier Core 6 Multivial SLA shows "Passive: +4 Intelligence, +2 Conjuration DCs." in its description. It should instead have a description of the spell that it is an SLA of.

ShawnVW

Can the tooltips show what Epic Destiny or Enhancement pane it comes from? When you see an ability on your hotbar or in the tabs of the Character Sheet, you may then want to find it in the tree itself, and it's not always easy to remember where you bought it.

Hawk

- REDs should be for negative effects.. not stuff like fortitude (use orange instead.)
- The background needs to not be as translucent on spells, it strains your eye trying to glance at those words*
- The new color tones are too bold - they need to be more pastel-based colors like the old text colors
- make the "requires" field also use indented bullet points, it looks wrong with it not indented, and underneath other bullet points
- Are the incorrect UMD display numbers (due to arti, etc.) fixed yet?
- [on live servers - haven't check lam yet] i recall a lot of abilities don't always show the duration or cooldown on the tooltip

*Considering the item tooltips are solid when you mouseover the hotbars, why are the spell tooltips not solid for consistency anyway?

I've noticed that devs over the last years are not matching the art style of the previous artwork (icons, etc.) As a designer, I personally like the older artwork and colors in DDO, because it doesn't use bold contrasting colors everywhere. Using inconsistent artwork and colors makes the game look less professional IMO.

On a side note: Item tooltips have always been too extreme. The detailed tooltips are too wordy, and the "short" option for tooltips gives you no info at all. It'll just say stuff like "High Spirits" or "Exceptional Spell Power" with no numbers. The short descriptions need to be way more informative. IMO, this is more important than fixing spell tooltips.

QuantumFX

Could you add the Spell power, Spell Crit and, Spell Crit Multipliers to the tooltip of a spell?

ex.
Horn of Thunder
Cooldown: 12 seconds
Target: Foe, Directional, Breakable
Save: 98 (Fortitude)
Spell Point Cost: 20
School: Evocation
Spell Resistance: No <- Honestly, I think if there's spell resistance involved, it should only show a Spell penetration modifier.
Spell power: 1240 Electric, 1356 Sonic <- List multiple values in alphabetical order. These values should also include any active metamagics
Spell critical: 66% Electric, 69% Sonic
Spell multiplier: 55 Electric, 98 Sonic

seph1roth5

Could you add the Spell power, Spell Crit and, Spell Crit Multipliers to the tooltip of a spell?

ex.
Horn of Thunder
Spell Resistance: No <- Honestly, I think if there's spell resistance involved, it should only show a Spell penetration modifier.
Spell power: 1240 Electric, 1356 Sonic <- List multiple values in alphabetical order. These values should also include any active metamagics
That's far too much stuff for a tooltip. I say just have the spellpower window pop out like item descriptions, not a mouseover thing.

Altra

Just a thought.
Would it be possible to put UMD required on scrolls and wands? Sorry, I meant Spell Level. I was confused (like always)

Thanks

Last edited:

Sunseeker

ex.
Horn of Thunder
I like the Spell pen modifier feedback

ShawnVW

I'd like to know when an attack spell requires no saving throw (like Magic Missile and Power Word Kill). I know that adding a line that says "Saving Throw: None" is the opposite of what you're doing by omitting "Spell Resistance: NO", but I think it would be good to have.

Actually, let me expand on that.

Spells that cannot affect an enemy - buffs, detects, etc -- should not have a "Save" or "Spell Resistance" line, not even "None".

"Attack" spells should have a "Save" and a "Spell Resistance" line. When appropriate, the value would say "None".

ShawnVW

I haven't seen the new tooltip for Primal Avatar's "Weathering the Elements", but the description in the original one is misleading. It says (emphases added):

Weathering the Elements: Gain 15% Absorption against Fire/Cold/Acid/Electric/Poison Damage. Whenever you cast any Protection from Energy spell it grants you 25 points of energy absorption per caster level instead of 12 with no level cap.

It should actually say:

Weathering the Elements: Gain 15% Absorption against Fire/Cold/Acid/Electric/Poison Damage. Whenever anyone casts any Protection from Energy spell on you (including Protection from Elements and Protection from Elements, Mass), it grants you 25 points of energy absorption per caster level instead of 12, with no level cap.

I've tested this.

Tonquin

of Lightning Hammer fame!
I haven't seen the new tooltip for Primal Avatar's "Weathering the Elements", but the description in the original one is misleading. It says (emphases added):

Weathering the Elements: Gain 15% Absorption against Fire/Cold/Acid/Electric/Poison Damage. Whenever you cast any Protection from Energy spell it grants you 25 points of energy absorption per caster level instead of 12 with no level cap.

It should actually say:

Weathering the Elements: Gain 15% Absorption against Fire/Cold/Acid/Electric/Poison Damage. Whenever anyone casts any Protection from Energy spell on you (including Protection from Elements and Protection from Elements, Mass), it grants you 25 points of energy absorption per caster level instead of 12, with no level cap.

I've tested this.
Plot twist, as part of the Epic Destiny Overhaul, the bug has been fixed, making the tooltip accurate!

Lazuli

Just a thought.
Would it be possible to put UMD required on scrolls and wands? Sorry, I meant Spell Level. I was confused (like always)

Thanks
I agree. What she says is if you could add to the scrolls the spell level to know what inscription component to use in the case of casters with spellbook.

Right now you see artificer UMD 12 and you have to know that it is a level 5 spell that requires a level 5 inscription mat. That is very confusing for new ones. Adding the spell level next to the necessary UMD [Example: UMD artificer 12 (spell level 5)] could make it much clearer.

canicus

I would like to add to the voices asking for CL and MCL in the tooltips. It would go a long way for us to calculate how much damage we should be doing and recognizing when there is a problem. There have been some(me included) asking for the MCL to be raised on Epic abilities. If we could see what the numbers are, then we would be able to determine better if we are unhappy with the base damage or if the CL is getting in the way as we get to Legendary levels.

Fnordian

Lazuli said:​

I agree. What she says is if you could add to the scrolls the spell level to know what inscription component to use in the case of casters with spellbook.

Right now you see artificer UMD 12 and you have to know that it is a level 5 spell that requires a level 5 inscription mat. That is very confusing for new ones. Adding the spell level next to the necessary UMD [Example: UMD artificer 12 (spell level 5)] could make it much clearer.
I've been playing DDO for 14 years and I still find it difficult to determine which spell inscription material to use for a given scroll, meaning I have to go the wiki to look it up. I have not memorized it and really shouldn't have to. I would greatly welcome the actual spell level being included in the scroll description (or something saying "Use level x inscription material"). I know the level can vary depending on class in some cases but I believe the scrolls already list multiple levels for no UMD for different classes so it should be possible with the spell/inscription level too.

Solarpower

I've been playing DDO for 14 years and I still find it difficult to determine which spell inscription material to use for a given scroll
Honestly.
You've come up to the vendor and said "show me lvl 3 scrolls !". What level of the inscription materials would you need, I wonder ?! 🙄 Yeah, yeah, the biggest mystery in the Universe.