Update 66 Preview 2: Dragon Lord Fighter Archetype

Edrein

On the strip subject, Sorcs never should have gotten an immunity strip, a tool to let them ignore immunities to their specialized element? Sure. But overall removing an enemy's defences should have always been more a supportive tool than something designated to the casters who are allowed to be good.
In my opinion Dragonlord which is giving up the best dps tree in the game for a more utility focused tree with elemental theming is absolutely an appropriate place for an immunity strip which benefits their party.

Should warlock have better tools for dealing with immunities? Absolutely. Too much of their power budget is loaded into pact element which you can't really compensate for and SSG seem to be doubling down on that stance by only really letting them use mantles based on the pact element.

Should sorcs get to feel unique and special at the expense of everyone else? You've already got half cooldown and half cast time and the majority of the best spells, if you feel that the class identity is "Everyone else has to suck for me to feel good" then by and large most people will disagree with you.

Are melee outperforming casters at sustained single target damage? Of course and it's rather by design cause where else is melee meant to actually serve a purpose? But again, this is not a fighter as you know them. This leans more towards melee bard territory than kensei fighter in terms of dps. This is primarily a support archetype by design as you'd see reading more than the bits you disagree with.
I wish it had a modified form of warchanter opposed to Ravager myself and really lean into that support identity, but I'd imagine that could prove odd for bards as a whole. (Though it may just equate to being the martial counterpart to Stormsinger as an archetype.)

Edrein

Another thought on the Strength Trance issue and Rage. Could we perhaps get a T5 or a core 12 that allows you to use the trance while raging? The prevents a good chunk of the low-splash fear.

While allowing Shifters (not everyone's a razorclaw people) and half-orcs to play around with the trance.

songswrath

I wish it had a modified form of warchanter opposed to Ravager myself and really lean into that support identity, but I'd imagine that could prove odd for bards as a whole. (Though it may just equate to being the martial counterpart to Stormsinger as an archetype.)
I said this back in preview one and somewhere in this preview too.

Scrag

cold dragon swashbuckling dlord + swashbuckling for gobs of +multi + threat. Cold damage from warchanter passes through because of t4 dlord cold damage stripping.

Frantik

Does anyone know if the Blue Dragon's Soul provides both Elec and Sonic like the Dragonborn race does?

EDIT probably not, but it would be good to have a sonic version later.

ALSO, does anyone know if the Battlefield Tactician extra damage can be triggered by, say, Dire Attack?

Last edited:

Crustbucket

Another thought on the Strength Trance issue and Rage. Could we perhaps get a T5 or a core 12 that allows you to use the trance while raging? The prevents a good chunk of the low-splash fear.

While allowing Shifters (not everyone's a razorclaw people) and half-orcs to play around with the trance.
Honestly i thinks it good as is ... no need for Rage + Trance to be the best out there. On barbarian i always find Wis/Dex trances as very viable options, as they can be good off stats to have and are plentiful on gear.

Shambhala

Hello! Welcome to the second preview of the Dragon Lord archetype. Thank you for all of the feedback in round one! Most of the feedback was positive, and there were a lot of interesting ideas!

We haven't changed a lot with Preview 2 (outside of a lot of bugfixing), but have made the following changes:
  • Untouchable Soul now properly gives full Displacement.
  • Strike Twice and Shoot Twice have been reduced to +1/2/3% Doublestrike and Doubleshot, respectively.
  • Draconic Outburst (STR trance) has been renamed to Might in Order.
  • Might in Order (STR trance) no longer has an alignment restriction, and instead cannot be used while Raged.
    • (Known Issue: This can't be used in this preview, as it *always* believes you're raging. Which, while funny, will be fixed.)
  • Draconic Outburst (CHA trance) has been renamed to Draconic Conviction.
  • Draconic Conviction (CHA trance) no longer has an alignment restriction.
  • Might in Order and Draconic Conviction now properly add to Attack.
  • Dragon's Defense has had its Imbue Dice reduced from 2 to 1.
  • Soul Sunder has had its Imbue Dice increased from 1 to 2.
  • Dragon's Roar can now properly be used while Raging.
  • Battlefield Tactician IV now has an immunity-stripping effect in addition to its previous effects. The ability now reads: "+1 to Tactical Feat DCs and Breath Weapon DCs. When you Sunder enemies, it makes them vulnerable to the element of your Draconic Soul for 10 seconds. Additionally, if you successfully Sunder (or Improved Sunder) a target under the effects of Trip (or Improved Trip), that target takes an additional 1d6 damage per Character Level of the Element of your Draconic Soul. This damage scales with 200% Melee or Ranged Power."
  • Dragon's Roar now properly only applies a Cower effect if you actually have Improved Dragon's Roar as described.
  • The release notes for the Dragon Lord tree now properly list the Ranged Power present in later Core abilities (it was correct in-game in Preview 1)
  • Improved Dragon's Roar now adds "when you use Dragon's Roar, you gain a +20% Morale bonus to damage vs. Helpless targets for 20 seconds" to its existing effect.
  • Fixed some text in Dragon Lord abilities
  • Flight of Kings (T5 Leap) now properly applies its speed boost effect.
We made the following changes to Ravager, which apply to both the Dragon Lord AND Barbarian versions:
  • Ravager's Visage of Terror now has a DC of (1d20 + Intimidate Score).
  • Ravager's Visage of Terror no longer requires Rage Charges.
  • Ravager's Cruel Cut now deals +20/30/40% damage in addition to its other effects.
  • Ravager's Cruel Cut now has a 20 second cooldown (previously 30).
And the following changes exclusively to Dragon Lord's version of Ravager:
  • Dragon Lord Ravager's Visage of Terror now has a 30 second cooldown, matching the Barbarian version (previously 36).
  • Dragon Lord Ravager's Max HP and Healing Amplification bonuses from Cores in the tree have been reduced by 50% to better balance with their access to Stalwart Defender.
------------------

Fighter Archetype: Dragon Lord

Overview:

Based on the Dragon Lord prestige class from 3.5e's Dragon Magic book, the Dragon Lord is a Fighter archetype that models their tactics after the ferocity of dragons to demoralize and subdue their enemies. They excel in crowd control, defense, and Draconic power.

Internal Design Goals
  • Create an archetype that is Dragon-themed for the D&D anniversary
  • Give an alternative take on Fighter
  • Strong multiclass support
Class Trees:
  • NEW: Dragon Lord
  • Stalwart Defender
  • NEW: Ravager
    • This is a modified version of Barbarian's Ravager tree, which does not give or rely on Rage. You cannot spend points in both this tree and Barbarian's version of Ravager at the same time.
Class Features Dropped vs. Base Fighter:
  • Kensei, Vanguard trees.
  • Dragon Lords do not innately get Shield Proficiency.
    • That said, you have Bonus Feats and could take Shield proficiency.
  • Instead of a Fighter Bonus Feats at class level 1, 8, and 16, you take a Draconic Aura feat.
Class Features Gained vs. Base Fighter:
  • Will Save Progression moves from "Poor" to "Good"
New Feats: Draconic Aura
  • At levels 1, 8, and 16, Dragon Lords select a Draconic Aura Feat (instead of a Fighter Bonus Feat). You select one Basic Aura at level 1, one Secondary Aura at level 8, and one Tertiary Aura at level 16. These auras run constantly and simultaneously.
  • It is intended that these Morale Bonuses do not stack with everything, especially low level spells - Upgrades in the Dragon Lord tree eventually help these exceed the bonuses of those spells. We do not intend to change this to a unique typing.
  • Feats Available at DL 1: Basic Aura.
    • Nevalarich's Hunger: You and allies close to you get a +2 Morale Bonus to Attack Rolls
    • Aussircaex's Defiance: You and allies close to you get a +2 Morale Bonus to Saving Throws
    • Thraxata's Instinct: You and allies close to you get a +2 Morale Bonus to Tactical Feat DCs
  • Feats Available at DL 8: Secondary Aura.
    • Velah's Fury: You and allies close to you get a +3 Morale Bonus to Damage Rolls
    • Sinvala's Toughness: You and allies close to you get a +3 Morale Bonus to PRR
    • Eternity's Ward: You and allies close to you get a +3 Morale Bonus to MRR
  • Feats Available at DL 16: Tertiary Aura.
    • The Truthful One's Might: You and allies close to you get a +4 Morale Bonus to Melee Power
    • Aurgloroasa's Ascended Wrath: You and allies close to you get a +4 Morale Bonus to Ranged Power
    • Kor Kaza's Forbidden Power: You and allies close to you get a +4 Morale Bonus to Universal Spell Power
Unless specifically listed, assume the class is otherwise identical to Fighter.

Ravager Tree

This tree is identical to the Barbarian Ravager tree, with the following exceptions:
  • All abilities that scale with Barbarian Level instead scale with Dragon Lord level.
  • Dragon Lord Ravager's Max HP and Healing Amplification bonuses from Cores in the tree have been reduced by 50% to better balance with their access to Stalwart Defender.
  • Core 1: Furious Rage: Does not require you to be Raging.
  • Core 5: Subsiding Fury: Instead of triggering on Barbarian Rage, this triggers on using Second Wind.
  • Tier 1: Barbarian Power Attack is renamed to not say barbarian.
  • Tier 1: Hardy Rage is replaced with Extra Action Boost (+1/2/3).
General Ravager Changes in This Update

These apply to both Barbarian and Dragon Lord Ravager:
  • Ravager's Visage of Terror now has a DC of (1d20 + Intimidate Score).
  • Ravager's Visage of Terror no longer requires Rage Charges.
  • Ravager's Cruel Cut now deals +20/30/40% damage in addition to its other effects.
  • Ravager's Cruel Cut now has a 20 second cooldown (previously 30).

Dragon Lord Tree
  • Cores
    • Core 1: Soul of the Dragon: Multiselector:
      • Pick a Draconic Soul to commune with, which will influence the rest of your power in this tree. Passive: You gain +1 to Tactical Feat DCs.
        • Red (Fire)
        • White (Cold)
        • Blue (Electric)
        • Black (Acid)
        • Green (Poison)
    • Core 2: Draconic Arms:
      • You gain an Imbue Toggle that adds 1d6 damage of the type you selected for your Draconic Soul to your Melee and Ranged Attacks. This damage scales with 200% of the higher of Melee and Ranged Power.
      • Passive: The bonus of all of your Draconic Auras increases by 1.
    • Core 3: Reckless Devotion:
      • Target Ally gains a Morale Bonus to Critical Confirmation and Critical Hit Damage equal to 1 + a quarter of your Dragon Lord level for 20 seconds. 40 second cooldown.
      • Passive: +5 Melee and Ranged Power, +1 Imbue Die, +3 to Critical Hit Confirmation and Damage.
    • Core 4: Conqueror's Command:
      • When you use Reckless Devotion, the power of your Draconic command grants that ally the effects of the Panacea spell, curing many afflictions and healing that ally for 1d6+2 Hit Points plus 1 per Dragon Lord level. This healing scales with 200% of Melee Power.
      • Passive: +1 Imbue Die, and the bonus of all of your Draconic Auras increases by 1.
    • Core 5: Dragon's Defense
      • While you have any Draconic Aura active, you and nearby allies gain a +3 Morale Bonus to Elemental Resistance for the element of your Draconic Soul and +5% Morale Bonus to Elemental Absorption of the element of your Draconic Soul.
      • Passive: +10 Melee and Ranged Power, +1 Imbue Die.
    • Core 6: Sunder Soul: Target Sundered enemy must make a Will saving throw (DC 10 + Highest of STR and CHA mod + Sunder bonuses) or have their Soul sundered, killing them instantly. If an enemy is killed by this, nearby enemies have a chance to be Cowered for 6 seconds with no save.
      • Passive: +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, +10 Melee and Ranged Power +2 Imbue Dice, and the bonus of all of your Draconic Auras increases by 2.
  • Tier 1
    • Dragon's Protection I: You gain +3 Resistance to the element you selected for your Draconic Soul.
    • Battlefield Tactician I: +1 to Tactical Feat DCs.
    • Unbreakable Will: +1/2/3 Will Saving Throws
    • Skills: +1/2/3 to Intimidate, Jump, and Haggle. Rank 3: You gain +2 to Attack
    • Martial Superiority: Multiselector:
      • Deft Strikes: +3/6/10% Offhand Strike Chance (antireq: shintao/sacred fist deft strikes)
      • Improved Second Strikes: +5/10/20% Strikethrough (antireq: kotc improved second strikes)
      • Strike Twice: +1/2/3% Doublestrike
      • Shoot Twice: +1/2/3% Doubleshot
  • Tier 2
    • Dragon's Protection II: You gain +3 Resistance to the element you selected for your Draconic Soul.
    • Battlefield Tactician II: +1 to Tactical Feat DCs.
    • Draconic Resilience: +2/4/6 Natural Armor
    • Action Boost: Multiselector:
      • Action Boost: Tactics: For 20 seconds, gain +3/6/9 Action Boost bonus to Sunder, Trip, and Stun DCs
      • Action Boost: Haste: Activate to gain +10%/+20%/+30% Action Boost bonus to attack speed for 20 seconds.
    • Dragonslayer: You gain Favored Enemy: Dragon
  • Tier 3
    • Dragon's Protection III: You gain +3 Resistance and 5% Absorption to the element you selected for your Draconic Soul.
    • Battlefield Tactician III: +1 to Tactical Feat DCs and Breath Weapon DCs. When you attack with Trip or Sunder (or their Improved variants), you deal 1d4 additional damage per Character Level of the Element you selected for your Draconic Soul. This damage scales with 200% Melee or Ranged Power.
    • Dragon's Roar: Tactical Feat: Enemies in a cone ahead of you must make a Will Saving Throw (DC 10 + Highest of STR and CHA mod + Stunning bonuses + Breath Weapon DC Bonuses) or be Dazed for 6 seconds. Affected enemies have a 25% chance to be broken out of the Daze on damage. 20 second cooldown.
      • (Also note: This is a Tactical Feat, but you DON'T make an attack as part of this. No damage. Ranged-user friendly.)
    • Trance: Multiselector:
      • Might in Order: (Cannot be used while Raging) Battle Trance: You gain an Insight bonus to Attack, Damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to 1/2 of your Strength modifier for 30/60/120 seconds. Each time you successfully use Trip, Sunder, Stunning Blow, or Dragon's Roar (or their Improved variants), you have a chance to restore 1 charge.
      • Draconic Conviction: (No restrictions) Battle Trance: You gain an Insight bonus to Attack, Damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to 1/2 of your Charisma modifier for 30/60/120 seconds. Each time you successfully use Trip, Sunder, Stunning Blow, or Dragon's Roar (or their Improved variants), you have a chance to restore 1 charge.
    • Ability Score: Multiselector
      • STR
      • CHA
  • Tier 4
    • Dragon's Protection IV: You gain +3 Resistance and 5% Absorption to the element you selected for your Draconic Soul.
    • Battlefield Tactician IV: +1 to Tactical Feat DCs and Breath Weapon DCs. When you Sunder enemies, it makes them vulnerable to the element of your Draconic Soul for 10 seconds. Additionally, if you successfully Sunder (or Improved Sunder) a target under the effects of Trip (or Improved Trip), that target takes an additional 1d6 damage per Character Level of the Element you selected for your Draconic Soul. This damage scales with 200% Melee or Ranged Power.
    • Untouchable Soul: You have Displacement, giving opponents a 50% chance to miss you due to concealment. This cannot be dispelled.
    • Lead the Charge:Melee Rush Attack: Rush forward up to 30 feet to your selected opponent and deliver a +20%/30%/50%[W] strike. 12 second cooldown. Shares cooldown with Shield Charge. Note: This works with any melee weapon, and not just a shield.
      • (This is identical to the KOTC one, though slightly higher up).
    • Ability Score: Multiselector
      • STR
      • CHA
  • Tier 5
    • Soul Scales: You gain +15 Magical Resistance Rating. +25% Competence Bonus to Max HP, and you have a 5% chance to ignore damage of the element you selected for your Draconic Soul.
    • Tactical Commander: The cooldowns of your Trip, Sunder, Stunning Blow, and Dragon's Roar (and their Improved versions) are reduced by 33%.
    • Improved Dragon's Roar: Your Dragon's Roar now Cowers enemies instead of Dazing them. In addition, when you use Dragon's Roar, you gain a +20% Morale bonus to damage vs. Helpless targets for 20 seconds.
    • Flight of Kings: (antireq Dragonborn version of the same): "Memories of flight lie within you. You are able to leap through the air to bring the fight to your enemies or traverse chasms that make normal adventure balk. Cooldown: 15 Seconds. When you use Flight of Kings, you gain a +20% Action Boost bonus to movement speed for 6 seconds.
    • Conqueror: +1/2 Competence Bonus to Critical Multiplier with All Weapons.

Past Life:
You were a Dragon Lord in a past life. Others find you strangely compelling when you speak or take to the battlefield. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +1 Damage with Melee Weapons and +1 Breath Weapon DC. This feat can be stacked up to three times.
Hey all,

i'm deeply in love with this archtype, i like the concept of beeing a master of CC in a melee character. But there only one thing about mixing with the ravager tree that makes me wonder.

The helpless dmg

Ravager got t5 bully which is a passive o 5/10/15 % of helpless dmg

x

Improved Dragon's roar which brings 20% helpless dmg on an ability trigger.

So we have a have a tree that makes mobs helpless with stat dmg and have a perma helpless dmg and other tree that make mobs helpless with tatical (but in fact is only stun) but in order to trigger this you have to:

Stun, use roar then strike.

I can't remember if the roar make them helpless but if works like howl of terror from, this will be kinda unpratical do use;

How about bring the helpless dmg working all the time and improve it to pair up with rogue/monk/falcontry 30%

Coffey

I can't remember if the roar make them helpless but if works like howl of terror from, this will be kinda unpratical do use;
I asked a similar question during the first preview.

Tier 3 dazed effect makes vulnerable with a 25% chance of them breaking out of the daze.

The Cower effect makes the mobs completely vulnerable in tier 5.

Shambhala

I asked a similar question during the first preview.

Tier 3 dazed effect makes vulnerable with a 25% chance of them breaking out of the daze.

The Cower effect makes the mobs completely vulnerable in tier 5.
well isn't that bad after all,

but still i think the class needs a helpless dmg besides the hoar. Maybe making this a passive not a temporary buff

Coffey

well isn't that bad after all,

but still i think the class needs a helpless dmg besides the hoar. Maybe making this a passive not a temporary buff
Well... they added the 20 sec 20% helpless damage to roar for the second preview. I would like it static 20% too but it seems to be a thematic play out with the roar.

Shambhala

Well... they added the 20 sec 20% helpless damage to roar for the second preview. I would like it static 20% too but it seems to be a thematic play out with the roar.
make sense... but why not more? I mean, is all about the archtype beeing a cc master and punishing the victims. Like put 30% on a t5 core to make a "wise trade-off"

Coffey

make sense... but why not more? I mean, is all about the archtype beeing a cc master and punishing the victims. Like put 30% on a t5 core to make a "wise trade-off"
Seems great the way it is honestly. Roar DC is not subject to class levels so you can probably figure out a fun and effective build to play.

Shambhala

Seems great the way it is honestly. Roar DC is not subject to class levels so you can probably figure out a fun and effective build to play.

Yeah, but i'm focusing on the class not the ability, therefore static bonus on higher treecore or static on roar . The roar is sure awesome, even the concept. Id also make that a party buff on aura radius to make party inspired by a dragon.

My point is making a class that excel in one thing actualy excel in one thing.

Also:
Maybe this change the meta a little bit or shake things off. There's nothing wrong with some a/b test and see how the users reacts

Frantik

[In the case somebody else has already posted this, sorry for being too lazy to having not read through all the posts]

RAW TACTICAL DC MATHS for PDK variant (requires lesser HoW) and compared STR versus CHA

Results:
(1) At level 20
- STR-based has +4 Hit/Dmg advantage (StD); 13 vs 9
- STR-based has +3 DCs for Sunder and Trip; 41 vs 38
- CHA-based has +1 tactical DC (from DL, Trance and PDK); 19 vs 18

(2) At level 32
- STR-based has +4 Hit/Dmg advantage (StD); 14 vs 10
- STR-based has +4 DCs for Sunder and Trip; 43 vs 39
- CHA-based has +1 tactical DC (from DL, Trance and PDK); 20 vs 19

Comment: STR edges Tactical DCs and Hit/Dmg when comparing STR and CHA PDK versions. Swapping to HOrc (without Orcish Rage) would add +3 STR, +3 (pure) Sunder DCs and an effective +1 DC to Sunder and Trip to the above results as well as improving Hit/Dmg again by +1.

Explanation:
- assumed Starting Stats as 16 STR 8 DEX 14 CON 14 INT 8 WIS 16 CHA (32 points and THF)
- assumed pure DL and level ups in either STR or CHA respectively
- assumed StD as secondary tree
- assumed for STR-based: DL(41/4 STR)+StD(26/8 STR and 6 CON and +10% health)+PDK(8/1 STR and +20% ST)
- assumed for CHA-based: DL(41/4 CHA and 2 STR)+StD(26/8 STR and 6 CON and +10% health)+PDK(8/1 CHA and +20% ST)
- assumed first Aura is +2 tactical DCs and AP spent into increasing tactical DCs in DL tree
- assumed that Trance is active!
- did not take into consideration main stat bonuses from THF to CHA/STR for extra damage
- did not take into consideration any set bonuses, item bonuses, Filigrees, ED bonuses, Legendary bonuses NOR Ability Tomes
- all values provided are rounded down to nearest whole number

Side Note: for all you Warchanter lovers, a PDK DL CHA version (1 DL 18 Bard 1 FvS) would add +4 Tactical DCs over a regular PDK variant (plus bagging you +20 ST for the cost of 5AP, and of course, a much-valued Feat). A CLR version going Dark Apostate would open up tier 1 Evil Damage Imbue for Favored Weapons which would require a large splash into Divine Crusader for that to work!

Second Side Note: an elegant alternative for a STR build DL could be Aasimar (Fallen); starting stats could be (again 32 point build) 18 STR 8 DEX 14 CON 13 INT 15 WIS 8 CHA, with no tomes. For those of you with Supreme Tomes and a 36 point build, i would max STR, 18 WIS and 16 CON. The stance bags you +1 STR, +2 Tactical DCs from 3rd core, +2 STR from racial cores and some self-healing, and if you have the Racial AP, +60 HAmp, +10 Melee Power).

Last edited:

Scrag

Is this specifically because sunder is strength only for bonus? Is the cha build loss of 3 sunder dcs for +1 tactical dcs in total really that significant?

Desirdes

[In the case somebody else has already posted this, sorry for being too lazy to having not read through all the posts]

RAW TACTICAL DC MATHS for PDK variant (requires lesser HoW) and compared STR versus CHA

Results:
(1) At level 20
- STR-based has +4 Hit/Dmg advantage (StD); 13 vs 9
- STR-based has +3 DCs for Sunder and Trip; 41 vs 38
- CHA-based has +1 tactical DC (from DL, Trance and PDK); 19 vs 18

(2) At level 32
- STR-based has +4 Hit/Dmg advantage (StD); 14 vs 10
- STR-based has +4 DCs for Sunder and Trip; 43 vs 39
- CHA-based has +1 tactical DC (from DL, Trance and PDK); 20 vs 19

Comment: STR edges Tactical DCs and Hit/Dmg when comparing STR and CHA PDK versions. Swapping to HOrc (without Orcish Rage) would add +3 STR, +3 (pure) Sunder DCs and an effective +1 DC to Sunder and Trip to the above results as well as improving Hit/Dmg again by +1.

Explanation:
- assumed Starting Stats as 16 STR 8 DEX 14 CON 14 INT 8 WIS 16 CHA (32 points and THF)
- assumed pure DL and level ups in either STR or CHA respectively
- assumed StD as secondary tree
- assumed for STR-based: DL(41/4 STR)+StD(26/8 STR and 6 CON and +10% health)+PDK(8/1 STR and +20% ST)
- assumed for CHA-based: DL(41/4 CHA and 2 STR)+StD(26/8 STR and 6 CON and +10% health)+PDK(8/1 CHA and +20% ST)
- assumed first Aura is +2 tactical DCs and AP spent into increasing tactical DCs in DL tree
- assumed that Trance is active!
- did not take into consideration main stat bonuses from THF to CHA/STR for extra damage
- did not take into consideration any set bonuses, item bonuses, Filigrees, ED bonuses, Legendary bonuses NOR Ability Tomes
- all values provided are rounded down to nearest whole number

Side Note: for all you Warchanter lovers, a PDK DL CHA version (1 DL 18 Bard 1 FvS) would add +4 Tactical DCs over a regular PDK variant (plus bagging you +20 ST for the cost of 5AP, and of course, a much-valued Feat). A CLR version going Dark Apostate would open up tier 1 Evil Damage Imbue for Favored Weapons which would require a large splash into Divine Crusader for that to work!

Second Side Note: an elegant alternative for a STR build DL could be Aasimar (Fallen); starting stats could be (again 32 point build) 18 STR 8 DEX 14 CON 13 INT 15 WIS 8 CHA, with no tomes. For those of you with Supreme Tomes and a 36 point build, i would max STR, 18 WIS and 16 CON. The stance bags you +1 STR, +2 Tactical DCs from 3rd core, +2 STR from racial cores and some self-healing, and if you have the Racial AP, +60 HAmp, +10 Melee Power).
Shouldn't the gap between STR and CHA-based DCs for sunder/trip be much higher given STR is the contributing attribute to DC plus also having access to a STR trance so you can double dip whereas a CHA-focused character would be missing a lot of the base DC unless they also pumped up STR? The existence of a STR trance I assume would make the gap way too unfair, especially at end game, unless they changed tactics base DC to include ways to work with things other than STR.

*Edit - Ah nvm I glossed over even the CHA-based stacking plenty of STR. Still when gear and buffs are taken into account I feel CHA would really lag behind due to all the needed STR investment to keep up whereas a STR-based will just passively be ahead without even needing to worry about a secondary offensive stat.

Last edited:

Frantik

Shouldn't the gap between STR and CHA-based DCs for sunder/trip be much higher given STR is the contributing attribute to DC plus also having access to a STR trance so you can double dip whereas a CHA-focused character would be missing a lot of the base DC unless they also pumped up STR? The existence of a STR trance I assume would make the gap way too unfair, especially at end game, unless they changed tactics base DC to include ways to work with things other than STR.
I wanted to provide insight between STR-based Dragon Lord with STR Trance and PDK version CHA-based Dragon Lord with CHA Trance.

Sunder and Trip are essentially STR feats (DEX for Trip as well) so first impressions would agree with you. However, as DL is basically a THF tree, starting stats for both CHA and STR versions can be comparable (realistically you'd be starting with either +2 STR wrt the PDK CHA version or if you go HOrc +4).

However, taking StD as second tree (for both versions) adds +8 STR which also adds to Sunder and Trip DCs for CHA version. Coupled with PDK's Cormyrean Knight Training (limiting you to Great Swords for best tactical DCs) adds another 1/3 of CHA modifier to tactical DCs, so this is why there is finally less than a difference than at first glance. But only with PDK; any other race would lose (3+(items, set bonuses, filigrees, tomes, other CHA sources)/3) to their Tactical DCs compared to PDK DL.

Frantik

Is this specifically because sunder is strength only for bonus? Is the cha build loss of 3 sunder dcs for +1 tactical dcs in total really that significant?
I am not a STR melee person much but from what I have read on this thread and elsewhere, Sunders are easier to land at later levels (Fortitude save) than Trips and they also don't get the repeated extra saving throws every 2 seconds as the Trips suffer from. Im my humble opinion, I think that the tier 4 DL ability Battle Tactician IV extra damage will not regularly or reliably proc for most of us mortals but at least they give you extra DCs for the 2AP.

Desirdes

I wanted to provide insight between STR-based Dragon Lord with STR Trance and PDK version CHA-based Dragon Lord with CHA Trance.

Sunder and Trip are essentially STR feats (DEX for Trip as well) so first impressions would agree with you. However, as DL is basically a THF tree, starting stats for both CHA and STR versions can be comparable (realistically you'd be starting with either +2 STR wrt the PDK CHA version or if you go HOrc +4).

However, taking StD as second tree (for both versions) adds +8 STR which also adds to Sunder and Trip DCs for CHA version. Coupled with PDK's Cormyrean Knight Training (limiting you to Great Swords for best tactical DCs) adds another 1/3 of CHA modifier to tactical DCs, so this is why there is finally less than a difference than at first glance. But only with PDK; any other race would lose (3+(items, set bonuses, filigrees, tomes, other CHA sources)/3) to their Tactical DCs compared to PDK DL.
Yeah I gotcha, I glossed over all that STR the pdk was getting. Honestly it feels kinda bad having CHA be a big secondary option for dragonlord but when sticking to the theme of tactics CHA based only really works on an iconic that you also must blow a lesser tr on. I feel they could add something in the tree or as an intrinsic part of Dragonlord where sunder/trip allows CHA for scaling. Of course that would very much boost pdk even higher but it would also make CHA melee multiclasses that want to actually use tactics much better regardless of race.

Coffey

Yeah I gotcha, I glossed over all that STR the pdk was getting. Honestly it feels kinda bad having CHA be a big secondary option for dragonlord but when sticking to the theme of tactics CHA based only really works on an iconic that you also must blow a lesser tr on. I feel they could add something in the tree or as an intrinsic part of Dragonlord where sunder/trip allows CHA for scaling. Of course that would very much boost pdk even higher but it would also make CHA melee multiclasses that want to actually use tactics much better regardless of race.
Like vanguard DCs with stunning shield and shield rush based on the highest ability modifier for eg.