Update 66 Preview 2: Dragon Lord Fighter Archetype

Desirdes

Like vanguard DCs with stunning shield and shield rush based on the highest ability modifier for eg.
Heck I would even settle for something in a late core or t5 (to avoid low investment splashes getting it) where it gives you a unique version of improved trip/sunder that is either str/cha or highest attribute with maybe another bit of flair added like 10% vuln to your dragon element like the monk elemental strikes to help justify it being high investment.

Frantik

Yeah I gotcha, I glossed over all that STR the pdk was getting. Honestly it feels kinda bad having CHA be a big secondary option for dragonlord but when sticking to the theme of tactics CHA based only really works on an iconic that you also must blow a lesser tr on. I feel they could add something in the tree or as an intrinsic part of Dragonlord where sunder/trip allows CHA for scaling. Of course that would very much boost pdk even higher but it would also make CHA melee multiclasses that want to actually use tactics much better regardless of race.
I think I understand what you mean. The issue is, in my eyes, that any multiclassing with DL would be limited to Bear Druid, and then its a nerf, and perhaps a 12 DL 8 Barbarian split; Human/PDK/HOrc all have +20% strikethough option and FB gets you gets an extra +40% so you could effectively have 220% ST in theory by level 11/12. CHA wise, multiclassing is severly limited; its decent roar is at tier 5, its trance is one charge with chance to regenerate via sunder/trips. For a CHA Trance multiclass build you would always want to go CLR or FVS. I see not benefit to sorc or warlock; as I wrote earlier, the only viable CHA version I see is a PDK 1 DL 18 Bard 1 FvS warchanter and thats for the extra +4 DCs and +20% ST. We shall see how the pure DL performs first but I am not so optimistic as the tier 4 extra damage from a combined sunder/trip won4t be an easy or reliable proc in my eyes. We shall see...

onibaba

Update 66 notes

"Now through March 26th, 2024 all players can acquire the Dragon Lord archetype for FREE by visiting the dragon Xatheral in the Eberron Hall of Heroes! The Dragon Lord archetype will continue to be free to VIPs after March 26th, and available in the DDO Store as well. NOTE: VIPs must speak to Xatheral to claim the Dragon Lord from February 28th through March 26th. VIPs will be able to make a Dragon Lord after March 26th without speaking to Xetheral once the Year of the Dragon promotional period for Dragon Lord has ended."

So many ways this can be interpreted.

If you are not VIP and If you acquire DragonLord for free, do you retain access to DragonLord after March 26th, 2024?

If you are not VIP and you do not retain DragonLord after March 26th, 2024 and you TR'ed 3 times to pick up the pastlife feats do you retain the pastlife feats?

onibaba

I think I understand what you mean. The issue is, in my eyes, that any multiclassing with DL would be limited to Bear Druid, and then its a nerf, and perhaps a 12 DL 8 Barbarian split; Human/PDK/HOrc all have +20% strikethough option and FB gets you gets an extra +40% so you could effectively have 220% ST in theory by level 11/12. CHA wise, multiclassing is severly limited; its decent roar is at tier 5, its trance is one charge with chance to regenerate via sunder/trips. For a CHA Trance multiclass build you would always want to go CLR or FVS. I see not benefit to sorc or warlock; as I wrote earlier, the only viable CHA version I see is a PDK 1 DL 18 Bard 1 FvS warchanter and thats for the extra +4 DCs and +20% ST. We shall see how the pure DL performs first but I am not so optimistic as the tier 4 extra damage from a combined sunder/trip won4t be an easy or reliable proc in my eyes. We shall see...
How many pure ravager builds you see? Not many its a fairly niche build, I would assume once all the hype leaves this update, and the server settles down to rolling with META builds that only include elements from the DL class that add value to the META. Builds such as pure DL will also be niche.

DPS is king, which means big front numbers, they scale with critical hits. This is the basics of the game since day dot. Forget the imbues and Sneak attack, they don't scale. They are nice to have to supplement damage but anything that scales imbue / SA damage most likely isnt WAI.

You can insta kill and CC until the cows come home, but boss fights/Dooms etc need DPS and exclusive insta kill builds without DPS are an optional nicety, unless you speccing for an Insta Kill Tank, being that a tank is a non-DPS CC spot in a party, having a Meat Sack contribute more than just CC i.e. Pure Barb Ravager inst kill tank built for running r10's or the DL equivalent then yeah that would be viable and amusing.

Not sure how the draconic aspect of DL will translate to actual numbers and whether the draconic aspect over performs. I would expect anything released that performs overwhelming well in the DPS area would be nerfed long term.

Last edited:

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Update 66 notes

"Now through March 26th, 2024 all players can acquire the Dragon Lord archetype for FREE by visiting the dragon Xatheral in the Eberron Hall of Heroes! The Dragon Lord archetype will continue to be free to VIPs after March 26th, and available in the DDO Store as well. NOTE: VIPs must speak to Xatheral to claim the Dragon Lord from February 28th through March 26th. VIPs will be able to make a Dragon Lord after March 26th without speaking to Xetheral once the Year of the Dragon promotional period for Dragon Lord has ended."

So many ways this can be interpreted.

If you are not VIP and If you acquire DragonLord for free, do you retain access to DragonLord after March 26th, 2024?

If you are not VIP and you do not retain DragonLord after March 26th, 2024 and you TR'ed 3 times to pick up the pastlife feats do you retain the pastlife feats?
I interpreted this as get your DL for free before 26/3, or it will cost you, unless you're VIP, in which case it'll still be free after that anyway... 🤔

Elminster

I interpreted this as get your DL for free before 26/3, or it will cost you, unless you're VIP, in which case it'll still be free after that anyway... 🤔
You must claim DL as VIP to get DL permanently on your account for free.

If you do not claim DL as VIP and you lose VIP and it is past the March 26th deadline then you will not have DL and must purchase it through the DDO store.

If you did claim DL as a VIP or not by March 26th then you have permanently unlocked DL and it will remain with you regardless if you lose VIP or never was VIP.

Mickeymouse

If you do not claim DL as VIP and you lose VIP and it is past the March 26th deadline then you will not have DL and must purchase it through the DDO store.

If you did claim DL as a VIP or not by March 26th then you have permanently unlocked DL and it will remain with you regardless if you lose VIP or never was VIP.
Google AI isn´t working.Grok AI way better.

onibaba

Has not answered my question, my question relates to being premium or a non-VIP account. Claims of "free" refer to update 66 "Now through March 26th, 2024 all players can acquire the Dragon Lord archetype for FREE by visiting the dragon Xatheral in the Eberron Hall of Heroes!"

Is this Doublespeak for a rental for anyone not VIP? rental being defined as it is "free" for 1 month but then you must purchase it if you are not VIP?

Further, if this is the case, I wanted to double check to ensure that during this "free" rental period, if I stack the pastlives are they retained if I lose access to DragonLord. I ask this because I am not going to use three otto boxes for pastlives if I lose them because I refuse to go VIP to fund the development of a game in a direction I disagree with, nor will I use a once off purchase to obtain, as I am extremely unhappy with the release of this POS Archtype. I hope others who are also unhappy with this Archtype also vote with their wallet.

Finally, as with the Iconic shifter pastlife feat as an example of an aspect of a purchase that doesn't work and has not been fixed. Maybe some people are happy to purchase an item/service and not have it meet consumer expectations and do nothing about it. But when I spend coin I have an expectation that what I purchase delivers to me what was promised and if it doesn't then the seller provide an explanation of why and what they and doing to remedy the issue. Looking at the shifter issue I raised in a different post and it not being fixed, I also have reservations about the pastlife of this class as well. The developer has made no effort to assuage my concerns, this rings alarm bells IMO.

Last edited:

Elminster

Has not answered my question, my question relates to being premium or a non-VIP account. Claims of "free" refer to update 66 "Now through March 26th, 2024 all players can acquire the Dragon Lord archetype for FREE by visiting the dragon Xatheral in the Eberron Hall of Heroes!"

Is this Doublespeak for a rental for anyone not VIP? rental being defined as it is "free" for 1 month but then you must purchase it if you are not VIP?

Further, if this is the case, I wanted to double check to ensure that during this "free" rental period, if I stack the pastlives are they retained if I lose access to DragonLord. I ask this because I am not going to use three otto boxes for pastlives if I lose them because I refuse to go VIP to fund the development of a game in a direction I disagree with. Also, I won't be purchasing an Archtype that doesn't further my own interests in the game.
Once a character becomes a DL you will always have access to said DL character unless you TR and you have not claimed DL or purchased it nor are you VIP in which case the character will be locked out of DL. All past lives should remain regardless of you having DL or not.

Just claim DL today and never have to worry about any of this, it's that simple.

onibaba

Once a character becomes a DL you will always have access to said DL character unless you TR and you have not claimed DL or purchased it nor are you VIP in which case the character will be locked out of DL. All past lives should remain regardless of you having DL or not.

Just claim DL today and never have to worry about any of this, it's that simple.
ok, thanks mate, that i will do. It's not the claiming part that has me questioning it's the additional part in the release notes that raises questions in my mind, they refer to VIP (only) and leave out Premium and FTP. They could have provided a table showing the different subscription levels VIP, Premium and FtP and tabulate what methods each subscription level can use to obtain the class and what circumstances they need to obtain the class beyond the first "free" month.

Scrag

I don't see any dragon in hall of heroes? I see three dragonborn vendors, but no actual dragon. Will there be a new dragonborn to use to claim this years items?

Scrag

Can you sunder with a ranged weapon? At all?

What is the range on ranged dragons roar (which apparently is a thing)?

canicus

ok, thanks mate, that i will do. It's not the claiming part that has me questioning it's the additional part in the release notes that raises questions in my mind, they refer to VIP (only) and leave out Premium and FTP. They could have provided a table showing the different subscription levels VIP, Premium and FtP and tabulate what methods each subscription level can use to obtain the class and what circumstances they need to obtain the class beyond the first "free" month.
I believe VIP would be the only outlier in this situation. That is probably why they did not specify about Premium vs. FtP

cdbd3rd

Dropped by looking for any news on the ridiculous white square thing, and see enough in this thread that the DL I just LR'ed over to will remain a bank alt.

So, umm... yeah. Words.

Scrag

Dropped by looking for any news on the ridiculous white square thing, and see enough in this thread that the DL I just LR'ed over to will remain a bank alt.

So, umm... yeah. Words.
Is there a commonality between the dragons you guys are chosing? I have none of these weird white square thing problems. REd dragon.

Cordovan

Community Manager
We are looking into this. We - think - this is a DX9 versus DX11 issue, and we haven't been able to get the bug to display in DX11.

cdbd3rd

We are looking into this. We - think - this is a DX9 versus DX11 issue, and we haven't been able to get the bug to display in DX11.

If it turns out to be this Dx issue, it would be really great to have a toggle to turn it off. I know, for me, just looking at the Dx setting too hard buggers my settings.