VIP program is going to literally cost SSG money - not a whiny quit post

Vlyxnol

I just wanted to post, of course in the hopes that it might get changed, my concerns with the new VIP system.

I am not here to debate the contents of the rewards, whether they are worth it or not or whatever, that is everyones own personal value choice. My problem is the fundamental implementation of the new VIP system and how its going to be a hassle for me and lose SSG money.

I have been VIP for many years, basically probably nearly uninterrupted for 7 years with the possible exception of a period of time when my account was compromised and it took a while to get it back. I dont play DDO non stop, I get bored, other games come along, etc, but I never unsub. This game has been my home for a long time and will continue to be, and its always been worth it for me to maintain my subscription so I can come back at any time, no effort, take a look, play a day, play a week, whatever, and support my favourite game.

However, it is not uncommon for me to get caught up in some other game for a few months - WoW, FF14, PoE, Last Epoch or even D4Bad. Because of how the VIP system is implemented as Cordovan put it as a "log in" bonus where you HAVE to claim your rewards or you lose them, I am suddenly forced with the situation where I will have to unsubscribe every time I quit or risk losing my reward due to not logging in and claiming it that month. This system is actually going to make me unsubscribe, not because I dont want to be subscribed any longer, but purely because of the risk of missing out on my bonuses.

Please SSG, change the way the rewards are implemented - let players claim them as they earn them at any time, dont force us to talk to an NPC or lose our rewards. The dragon year stuff is already annoying enough.

Dude

Because of how the VIP system is implemented as Cordovan put it as a "log in" bonus where you HAVE to claim your rewards or you lose them, I am suddenly forced with the situation where I will have to unsubscribe every time I quit or risk losing my reward due to not logging in and claiming it that month.
Where do you see that you will lose the reward?

Dude

you dont but it pauses it. so if your are getting month four and dont take it for 4 months when you come back you are on month four not month eight rewards
That's the way I read it too, but OP says he thinks he's going to lose a reward.

Falkor

That is exactly OPs point. If they don't login for a month, they are behind a month on that VIP reward.

They can pay for a year ... and not play six months, and not end up with the reward for being VIP for a year. So yes, they are missing out on rewards that they ... paid for.

And it looks like it's a deal breaker for Vlyx. As it will be for other VIPs. The implementation of this system needs to be revisited. The rewards should be automatic. Or retroactive. But to flat out lose the reward for not logging in is not how you treat VIPs like VIPs.

How does this system actually reward loyal players who have subbed for years?
Or who pay for a year of VIP and end up having life circumstances happen when they cannot login?

mbartol

Murder Hobo
Not that you lose any particular reward (you just pick up the next in the sequence), you can fall behind and end up claiming fewer rewards than you would be entitled to (since you paid for them). In essence, you do lose the rewards on the back end UNLESS you pay for additional months.

Some auto-grant system is absolutely necessary. I would certainly feel cheated if I subscribed for a year and didn’t receive all 12 rewards.

Edit: Falkor beat me to it—posted while I was distracted.

Last edited:

Sarlona Raiding

I think they way it's layed the OP is right that if you don't claim your reward within the month you lose it permanently. I agree with OP that these should never expire while you are a VIP. If you login 4 months from now and claim 4 rewards, what is the problem?

Dude

I think they way it's layed the OP is right that if you don't claim your reward within the month you lose it permanently. I agree with OP that these should never expire while you are a VIP. If you login 4 months from now and claim 4 rewards, what is the problem?
The way I read it, that is not the case. If you log in for the first three months, you'll get those three rewards. If you don't log in for two months, then month four's reward should be there waiting for you. I get that some people may not like that. That's a reasonable critique, but I don't see anything that makes me think a reward is lost forever.

Zess

The way I read it, that is not the case. If you log in for the first three months, you'll get those three rewards. If you don't log in for two months, then month four's reward should be there waiting for you. I get that some people may not like that. That's a reasonable critique, but I don't see anything that makes me think a reward is lost forever.
That is my understanding and also what cordovan said on a podcast. The rewards are sequential, so first month of vip = first reward, second month of vip= second reward, goes away for 2 months, fifth month of vip = third reward.

It should NOT be fifth month = fifth reward

From what i understood, this is a list for the first 12 months, once we reach the end of the list (in 2025) there will be another list that will keep going.

Griglok (Karatemack)

Leader- The Casual Obsession (Khyber)
I suspect this implementation was based on the very loud feedback many of us provided to the dev team after MoTU, Shadowfell and Ravenloft. Each of these expansions loads an item into your inventory that explodes about 5,000,000 items you have to clean out/deal with whenever you create a new character.

I'm a huge fan of the NPC mechanic to turn-in/claim rewards. I wonder if it is a limitation of the tech to only allow you to turn in 1 month at a time. It certainly would be nice if folks who paid for VIP for 6 months or 8 months could claim any rewards they miss if they can't log in for a few months. But, if that isn't possible, given the choice between item that explodes my inventory and the NPC turn in, I prefer the NPC turn in.

Vlyxnol

Cordovan expanded on this system in his live stream this week for anyone wondering where we heard that its a claim reward not granted automatically.

I also am not necessarily asking for the rewards themselves to be autogranted, instead, automatically add the flag to the account as appropriate.

The vendor can be like the hardcore vendor where it will recognize whether you are eligible to claim such a reward.

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
I do agree that it's a bad thing to have to log in each month or miss out on rewards. A vendor that checks if you're eligible seems fine.

If you've paid for it, you should get it, without having to jump through more hoops than strictly necessary.

Discount Gandalf

Rewards should never expire. Daybreak does this with their all access points and I can't count how many I have lost over the years with a lifetime account simply because I didn't want to take the time to download one of their eligible games to claim the points. If only DDO was part of that program...

Most of these things are one and done and for the ones that are not, DDO already flags accounts for claiming xpac items that are account wide. I don't see why this would be any different.

Dude

Rewards should never expire. Daybreak does this with their all access points and I can't count how many I have lost over the years with a lifetime account simply because I didn't want to take the time to download one of their eligible games to claim the points. If only DDO was part of that program...

Most of these things are one and done and for the ones that are not, DDO already flags accounts for claiming xpac items that are account wide. I don't see why this would be any different.
This is Daybreak.