VIP program is going to literally cost SSG money - not a whiny quit post

woq

Well I don't think they should cater to people anxieties at that level.
But it should play a part in their decision making, even if that is not the target audience.

Plenty of people simply choose not to partake if it makes things a hassle or if it even feels like a hassle. Never underestimate the effect of convenience when it comes to paying for a product and getting access to said product.

There's a reason "keys to the hand" -type of deals work well even if the gained product ends up costing more.

Shear-buckler

But it should play a part in their decision making, even if that is not the target audience.

Plenty of people simply choose not to partake if it makes things a hassle or if it even feels like a hassle. Never underestimate the effect of convenience when it comes to paying for a product and getting access to said product.

There's a reason "keys to the hand" -type of deals work well even if the gained product ends up costing more.
Deciding not to go VIP because the bonus system is a hassle so it adds very little value is one thing.
Dropping VIP because the new system gives you anxiety is a whole other matter.

Refutor

With the current system if you miss even a single month you will forever be 1 month behind and playing permanent catch up.
how are you playing catchup? the bonuses don't get "better" the second year. it resets, so someone starting up a year after the start date, gets the "second year" bonuses not the first year bonuses.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
Cordo specified someone starting in the second year starts at month 1, not month 13. Don't have a link currently.
how are you playing catchup? the bonuses don't get "better" the second year. it resets, so someone starting up a year after the start date, gets the "second year" bonuses not the first year bonuses.

erethizon1

It does for me. I don't want the stress of keeping track on which month I am, calculating when I get certain rewards in the future and when I have to claim the stuff that I want. Or having the fomo of keeping the sub active while I don't even play. Better to just not start worrying about it at all and continue as Premium player. I will never sub for a full year anyway because I play other games too. The Loyalty program should make it fun to sub not make it feel like work.
Since you only sub when you are actively playing, it isn't work for you at all. You will get rewards when you are subbing (and playing) and will get nothing when you are unsubbed (as expected). It's only the people that stay subbed when not playing that have some work to do, but since that is never you, there will never be any work to be done.

Owlbear

Since you only sub when you are actively playing, it isn't work for you at all. You will get rewards when you are subbing (and playing) and will get nothing when you are unsubbed (as expected). It's only the people that stay subbed when not playing that have some work to do, but since that is never you, there will never be any work to be done.
That's why this system is wrong by design. SSG doesn't gain anything from people that already pay VIP anyway. They need to improve and make VIP more attractive so they gain more people who don't pay 12 months a year already or to bring back the VIP members who left when VIP value crashed after the free code . In the end SSG needs more paying VIP members to sustain the game.

Last edited:

Fallout47

That's why this system is wrong by design. SSG doesn't gain anything from people that already pay VIP anyway. They need to improve and make VIP more attractive so they gain more people who don't pay 12 months a year already. In the end SSG needs more paying VIP members to sustain the game.
I've come to the opposite conclusion. SSG thinks you all are already getting too much for your money. I have thought that for awhile. This "improved" VIP offering kinda confirms it, for me at least.

l_remmie

Ssg is not investing in acquiring new players or significant numbers of new VIPs. It's an understandable business decisions for a 20 year old game.
I don't agree and i think they can make more profitable decisions but this is what we get.

Spook

Cordo specified someone starting in the second year starts at month 1, not month 13. Don't have a link currently.

That has been corrected since

Sorry, folks, I spoke incorrectly based on not being up to speed on a point of the VIP Loyalty Reward program, and I want to correct that now:

The VIP Loyalty Reward Program does indeed continue on past the 12th reward; the plan is to continue to add to the reward list over time. So, once you've acquired the 12th reward, you will be eligible for the 13th reward the following month.

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
That's not how I read it.

At first, Cordo thought we were just going to be repeating the list each year, but was then told they'd add new stuff.

It specifically mentions going from "acquired month 12" to "being eligible for 13th reward". It does not mention what happens to new players starting their first month a year from now... as I read it, at least.

Spook

The original post

There is no "Year 1" and "Year 2" in regard to the VIP Loyalty Reward program. This is a VIP log in reward program that awards something once per month and currently has 12 months of benefits before it cycles back to the first reward. While the list of rewards will change over time, this isn't a yearly calendar style list.

The updated post

Sorry, folks, I spoke incorrectly based on not being up to speed on a point of the VIP Loyalty Reward program, and I want to correct that now:

The VIP Loyalty Reward Program does indeed continue on past the 12th reward; the plan is to continue to add to the reward list over time. So, once you've acquired the 12th reward, you will be eligible for the 13th reward the following month.

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
"There is no year 1 and 2". Exactly, he thought it just rolled around to the same list on year 2. This is what he corrects in the update, that the list will be updated with new rewards going forward, after you're earned the first 12 months.

Again: "once you've acquired the 12th reward, you will be eligible for the 13th reward the following month."

It says nothing that I can see about new players joining next year skipping ahead on the list to the new year.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
IMMEDIATLY after that post I posted:
OK, now I have a new question:
IF someone new starts next year, after early adopters have acquired the cloud mount and you have come up with the new set of rewards do they:
Start at Month 1 of the list we see now -OR-
Start at month 13 of the new list?
to which he replied:
They will start at month 1 of the list.

Weaponalpha

This is in response to OP original post, if you have been subscribed in the past and not logged in you missed out on daily and weekly rolls including the daily-weekly rolls for a year or so and those are not retroactive either. Post a toon next to whoever grants the monthly reward and on the 1st of each month long in, collect reward, log out and go play whatever. That is really not asking a lot. DDO makes money by us playing and hopefully spending real world money so this is an incentive to log in and possibly play.

Lacci

With the current system if you miss even a single month you will forever be 1 month behind and playing permanent catch up.
While I agree that those bonuses should be automatically available for VIPs to claim any time they want, I wonder: Who or what are you catching up to with those rewards ?
Is that really that big of a problem ? How many people actually pay a monthly fee without logging in ? That seems like a weird thing to do.