What is the plan for players with more than 156 reaper points?

erethizon1

That's cool. Would you have enjoyed it as much, or at all, without the peps you like to run with, probs not. And that's the point. I don't think the game needs more grind systems, there are enough already, probably too many. I think some peps just need some friends, that's it. You can have fun without any reward to chase. I do get tho that there are some who like to grind just for the sake of it and some who are only interested in gain more power, I respect it but I just don't get why
I actually like PUG's better. I get to meet new people and enjoy a wide range of personalities and experiences because the people in the groups are always changing. That is part of what makes low level content more fun than high level content. I meet a far wider range of people, with a far wider range of abilities, when playing levels 1-9.

erethizon1

There are plenty of things to do, even when there are no more rewards to chase if you have a group of ppl who genuinely enjoy running with you and who you enjoy runing with. Except for peps who only care about gaining more power, those will bail on you the moment there's no carrot to chase. I guess it all depends of who you surroud yourself with
That's an interesting perspective. I guess the question I have is, how many thousands of hours of entertainment do you think DDO provides (not counting past life earning)? 1000? 10,000? 100,000? I've spent over 1000 hours in many different games and I can tell you they all get stale for me after a while. This game last significantly longer with the past lives than it would without it. Part of the reason "playing with friends" gets such a good reputation is that most of those static groups only play a few hours a week. If they were going for 50 hours a week, every week, they too would get bored, especially with no reward to chase.

Sympl

In so many games I hit the newbie zone once and never see it again. I have a great time in the newbie zone and look on it with nostalgia, but I never go back, because there is never a reason to (I am one person in real life and one person in video games. Alts are not my jam).

Just to back you up a little from an alternative perspective (and then divert into a post all my own), alts ARE my jam. I can officially be called an alt-oholic. Without getting into too many numbers, I have every possible character slot available at the present time on my primary account. And they are all full. Even my bank toons, get rolled up with experimental builds on them and I play them every so often before shelving them again.

I DO have one main character, though, that I intend to "win the game" with that I run primarily in Reaper these days. And several secondary characters that I'm just on the TR train with. It gives me great pleasure to pop through the heroic levels again on something other than a first-lifer....more powerful, better equipped, bored with the "end game scene". Then, by the time I'm in Epics and Legendarys again.....I'm about bored with the heroics. I love that I can do that. Keeps my game fresh. Keeps my skills tight. Expands my knowledge of the game and what other classes can do and what I can ask/expect of other people in the party depending on class/build.

One of the best things about DDO is that it accommodates so many different playstyles and preferences. And while I do play with family and friends....my circle is small and I'm usually soloing 75% of the time, if not more. I usually only PUG out for raids. (And sometimes I can solo those as well, I've got one build that can single man Fire on Thunder Peak on Normal, and that pleases me to no end every time I do it.) In my life, if I want to play with friends, it almost always has to be out at a bar someplace with a pool table and karaoke or around a tabletop with a physical board game between us all. Not everyone plays DDO (or life) the same, but it's not too hard to provide a few perks here and there for those that for some strange reason "need it". I think SSG does a pretty good job of that.

You have to keep in mind....just because there's tasty golden apples at the top of the tree.....you don't have to rush your climb....or slow it.....or get angry at the guy who decides to use a ladder.....or even chase the golden apples if you don't like apples. But it's good that they exist.

erethizon1

This argument again. It's not about being able to complete content. It's about having fun and being able to join in on new stuff without feeling like having to do 100 past lives first. That gap is between people having trouble in elite and others able to solo reaper 10. Don't tell me that's not massive. Having to grind for years just to catch up is insanity.
And the worst thing about these systems is how people that are already further ahead can get ahead even faster. Reaper 10 gives 10 times the rxp of reaper 1. Elite has double the drop rate of hard. Past lives make it easier and faster to get more past lives. That's absolutely stupid. There is no real progression system here.
And people cry for more and more. And when someone asks about catching up it's always the "on HC people complete all the content" or "you don't need all the past lives".
I definitely think a new character should be intrinsically a lot stronger than they are, or at the very least, gear should be way, way easier to get. The fact that you can be wearing full plate with a large shield and have essentially no defense because they don't have enough magically induced PRR or MRR in them is a real problem. It should be far easier for a new player to not die and contribute to some degree. The easiest way to do this would be for bad gear (i.e. randomly acquired gear) to be only slightly worse than best in slot gear. At the very least crafted gear should be just as good as named item set gear so that only one grind would be needed to let a new player be ideally equipped.

Col Kurtz

I definitely think a new character should be intrinsically a lot stronger than they are, or at the very least, gear should be way, way easier to get. The fact that you can be wearing full plate with a large shield and have essentially no defense because they don't have enough magically induced PRR or MRR in them is a real problem. It should be far easier for a new player to not die and contribute to some degree. The easiest way to do this would be for bad gear (i.e. randomly acquired gear) to be only slightly worse than best in slot gear. At the very least crafted gear should be just as good as named item set gear so that only one grind would be needed to let a new player be ideally equipped.
thats why they came up w Iconics..though im not sure any those are free to play, since i kept ViP over the years.

but, 1st lifers are fine until mid-heroics when enemy CR gets the bump..then equipment becomes way more important

Eulrik878

there's a rest home being built for maxed out players about to retire;)

Reaper was supposed to be a challenge for those character builds that found elite to easy...>putting a tree to gain xp's in was doomed to a revelation style apocalypse.

to quote another thread "more goal post moving''....>nothing has moved goal posts further than a huge tree that made a challenging difficulty easier as you gained xp's in it.

The players that really deserve respect did 10 skulls way back when they had less than even 10-20 reaper points.

But lol, I don't want to put a negative spin on players achievements.. maxing reaper points is a serious milestone too >good job.

* want a gaming challenge ? go play some War thunder...trying to carry a team with 12 noobs who cant communicate through a fast pace Tank Battle with the 10 skull Russian Bias there.
Yes! Do like a "Hall of Recognition" memorial, or "Champions of Eberron", that updates yearly or something

erethizon1

Just to back you up a little from an alternative perspective (and then divert into a post all my own), alts ARE my jam. I can officially be called an alt-oholic. Without getting into too many numbers, I have every possible character slot available at the present time on my primary account. And they are all full. Even my bank toons, get rolled up with experimental builds on them and I play them every so often before shelving them again.

I DO have one main character, though, that I intend to "win the game" with that I run primarily in Reaper these days. And several secondary characters that I'm just on the TR train with. It gives me great pleasure to pop through the heroic levels again on something other than a first-lifer....more powerful, better equipped, bored with the "end game scene". Then, by the time I'm in Epics and Legendarys again.....I'm about bored with the heroics. I love that I can do that. Keeps my game fresh. Keeps my skills tight. Expands my knowledge of the game and what other classes can do and what I can ask/expect of other people in the party depending on class/build.

One of the best things about DDO is that it accommodates so many different playstyles and preferences. And while I do play with family and friends....my circle is small and I'm usually soloing 75% of the time, if not more. I usually only PUG out for raids. (And sometimes I can solo those as well, I've got one build that can single man Fire on Thunder Peak on Normal, and that pleases me to no end every time I do it.) In my life, if I want to play with friends, it almost always has to be out at a bar someplace with a pool table and karaoke or around a tabletop with a physical board game between us all. Not everyone plays DDO (or life) the same, but it's not too hard to provide a few perks here and there for those that for some strange reason "need it". I think SSG does a pretty good job of that.

You have to keep in mind....just because there's tasty golden apples at the top of the tree.....you don't have to rush your climb....or slow it.....or get angry at the guy who decides to use a ladder.....or even chase the golden apples if you don't like apples. But it's good that they exist.
One of the things I like about Free-to-play games is they have much longer "grinds" than other types of games. I want that golden apple tree to be a tree I never reach the top of (and DDO has done a truly excellent job of adding past lives at such a rate that I never feel like I am even close to getting them all). I play F2P games and do nothing to mitigate the grind. Most of those games have cash shop items designed to make the game faster and I never buy any of those items. I want the same feeling in a game that I get from life, the feeling that there is infinite potential for progression. The feeling of being "done" with a character is the feeling of being dead. Only the dead are incapable of improving. That is never a good feeling.

That said, I have nothing against people that pay to do things faster. Having a ladder on the tree is fine with me as long as I don't have to use it myself. Most F2P games have first class citizens that spend money and second class citizens that don't (and that primarily exist to give first-class citizens someone to play with and feel stronger than). I've never had a problem being a second-class citizen in F2P games.

In much the same way that other people think the grind is the problem because they can never catch up, I see the problem as people expecting to be just as strong as people that have been playing 10 years longer. I definitely know people that won't touch DDO because they refuse to "play for 10 years just to get to the real game" and that is a terrible mindset. Most of us will never be Ying and the assumption that we deserve to be is just silly. He will always be a better player than me. That is not a game design flaw.

It is nice to both have your character improve and your skill improve as you play a game. Playing a pure skill based game, where your character never changes, is an option, but it isn't as rewarding as a game that allows for both skill and character improvement.

erethizon1

thats why they came up w Iconics..though im not sure any those are free to play, since i kept ViP over the years.

but, 1st lifers are fine until mid-heroics when enemy CR gets the bump..then equipment becomes way more important
A serious problem with DDO is that being higher in level is more of a disadvantage than an advantage. The game gets much harder as you go up in level. Starting at level 15 just starts people out on harder content. It is much less fun being a new player joining a party at level 15 than at level 1 since you are much more likely to die quickly and terribly in higher level content. The design that makes it so that you get no exp for running quests much lower than you, and that makes it so no one wants you in their group if you are even a few levels above the content, makes it so that being higher in level is more of a curse than a blessing.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Smokewolf

Dear Devs,

I'm aware there was a proposal to introduce a group buff for players with more than 156 reaper points. Has this idea been set aside?

Do you have plans for additional ways to utilize reaper points beyond 156? Perhaps a new skill tree with minor buffs? Or cosmetic rewards at milestones like 156, 200, 250, and 300 reaper points? (To note, 300 reaper points equate to 90 million reaper xp, representing years of gameplay and significant dedication to DDO.)

Could you share any plans for players who have amassed over 156 reaper points?

Additionally, we'd appreciate knowing if you intend to include such plans in your upcoming agenda.

Thank you.
Bunch-O-nuttin !!!

Col Kurtz

A serious problem with DDO is that being higher in level is more of a disadvantage than an advantage. The game gets much harder as you go up in level. Starting at level 15 just starts people out on harder content. It is much less fun being a new player joining a party at level 15 than at level 1 since you are much more likely to die quickly and terribly in higher level content. The design that makes it so that you get no exp for running quests much lower than you, and that makes it so no one wants you in their group if you are even a few levels above the content, makes it so that being higher in level is more of a curse than a blessing.
Very true...though, new players really shouldn't be going for elite and reaper until they know the quest, or at least have some in game friends giving pointers as they go at a fairly mellow pace

bleach

DDO has its long lifespan and its current audience because of the endless character advancement.

If by current audience you mean having one of the lowest populations of any active MMO I guess you have a point there 🙄

I would suspect that more than half of the people playing the game long term are here in no small part because they enjoy how much more character advancement this game has than others.

I also suspect that half the people who left the game to never look back went away in no small part because they got bored and tired of the endless and oftentimes pointless grind. Those are more numerous that all players that remain

The trouble you are having is you view past lives as grind. To me it feels analogous to saying, "I'm surprised to see people asking for more quests or raids to be added to the game. All it is doing is adding more grind. They should just be playing the same old quests on repeat with friends."

Most people do, I have yet to find anyone who keeps accumulation past lifes once they have them all. So yea it is a grind, people want the benefits of it not just grind em for the sake of it. Except for that guy who posted earlier 😅 I'm all in for more content but not for more grind systems, that's not what I said.

The new lives add to the fun. They give purpose to repeating the game beyond simply farming gear.

No they dont, they do give purpose tho : to accumulate more power, noting to do with fun. Otherwise people wouldn't be asking for more rewards they wuld just keep grinding lifes and RXP even if they dont give them any more power

There is absolutely no satisfaction in deleting a character you spent years on to start on a new character. You may as well leave the game and play something that is an entirely new experience. Past lives give a reason to continue playing.

You know you can create a new alt without deleting your character, right ?

The last part of that sentence actually reinforces the point I made on my first post. It's all about the addiction to moar power creep, that seems to be the only reason why a lot of peps keep playing. It still surprises me the insane ammount of grind some are willing to endure ( or pay for ) just to get a tiny bit of ingame power that they are most likely to take away at some point in future just to sell it back to you or have you re-grind for it. The fact that some are even asking for it is quite aumsing; but hey, to each their own. Just my 2 cents. That's also why prety much all new content they release is full of bugs and rather low quality, they know that as long as they add enough power for players to chase most people will take the bait regardles of the quality of said content

erethizon1

If by current audience you mean having one of the lowest populations of any active MMO I guess you have a point there 🙄

I also suspect that half the people who left the game to never look back went away in no small part because they got bored and tired of the endless and oftentimes pointless grind. Those are more numerous that all players that remain

Most people do, I have yet to find anyone who keeps accumulation past lifes once they have them all. So yea it is a grind, people want the benefits of it not just grind em for the sake of it. Except for that guy who posted earlier 😅 I'm all in for more content but not for more grind systems, that's not what I said.

No they dont, they do give purpose tho : to accumulate more power, noting to do with fun. Otherwise people wouldn't be asking for more rewards they wuld just keep grinding lifes and RXP even if they dont give them any more power

You know you can create a new alt without deleting your character, right ?

The last part of that sentence actually reinforces the point I made on my first post. It's all about the addiction to moar power creep, that seems to be the only reason why a lot of peps keep playing. It still surprises me the insane ammount of grind some are willing to endure ( or pay for ) just to get a tiny bit of ingame power that they are most likely to take away at some point in future just to sell it back to you or have you re-grind for it. The fact that some are even asking for it is quite aumsing; but hey, to each their own. Just my 2 cents. That's also why prety much all new content they release is full of bugs and rather low quality, they know that as long as they add enough power for players to chase most people will take the bait regardles of the quality of said content
Yes, any game is going to drive away people that don't like the direction it takes, while retaining the ones that do like it. DDO has a low population for an active MMO, but it is still an active MMO all these years later. DDO was taking its dying breath when it went free-to-play. Like most MMO's it was not going to be a surviving MMO. It is a surviving MMO to this day because of the decisions that were made. It sounds like you think the absence of past lives would also have saved it. I have my doubts. Sure, some people left because they got bored and tired of endless grinds. Most, if not all, of those people also would have gotten bored and left even without the past life grind. The type of people that jump from MMO to MMO are never going to be a reliable long-term source of population.

And your sentence about addiction to power creep shows you really don't understand the mindset. I want character progression in all my games. The growth and advancement of a character is what makes the journey fun. It's not about power creep. It's about growth.

On a somewhat related note, DDO was miserably unfun back in alpha testing. I didn't enjoy it at all. That is why I left before beta testing was even finished and didn't look back until people were talking about its having gone F2P (and I was one of those people very much looking forward to a D&D MMO, but spell points largely killed that for me, since spell slots is always what separated D&D from every other game). What you call power creep I call eventually being able to enjoy the game without it being a horrendous pain to play it. I don't enjoy being challenged. Raids have always been my least favorite form of content in every game ever. I like it when things are easy. I was advocating for casual difficulty to give max favor a decade ago, because I hated feeling like I had to play elite to earn favor when it was not at all enjoyable to play it. I didn't get what I asked for, but I got the next best thing, the ability to make elite feel almost as easy as casual so I could enjoy playing the game.

erethizon1

It still surprises me the insane ammount of grind some are willing to endure ( or pay for ) just to get a tiny bit of ingame power that they are most likely to take away at some point in future just to sell it back to you or have you re-grind for it.
This line really resonates with me because I too am surprised how much time people will play a video game with no character growth. I do not understand how people can shoot other players for the 10,000th hour in a row when nothing is accomplished by doing so, or why people will spend years raiding the same raids for nothing but gear they will throw out the moment a new expansion raises the level cap (this is how most MMO's work). Those kinds of game simply are not for me. I have to find a game with endless character growth. This usually means a leveling curve that is exponential in nature so that the last levels take years to complete. DDO found a more enjoyable method (in part because it allowed playing all the content instead of just high level content). Grind is a term used by people that don't like character growth to describe it. For me, it isn't a grind. Any more than playing a game with friends is a grind for you. Perhaps it is because I don't feel like I have to do it. It isn't a grind because I don't obligate myself to finish. Quite the opposite, I don't ever want to finish. 200 past lives is only daunting if you think you have to get them all. The way I view it, complaints about past lives is like complaining that a grocery store has 200 foods to choose from instead of just 10.

Ying

5000+ hours played
A serious problem with DDO is that being higher in level is more of a disadvantage than an advantage. The game gets much harder as you go up in level. Starting at level 15 just starts people out on harder content.
I disagree.

I'd rather spend time playing in epic levels than heroic levels because it's easier to play in higher levels. Your character is more complete: You have higher level spells if you're a caster, and as a melee you have GTWF, GTHF or GSWF. The closer to 20 you are, the closer you are to having a "complete" heroic character with enhancements. Given the option, I'd happily start at level 15 every single life rather than level 1.

Sevenover

It seems clear that most players with 156+ reaper points just want cosmetics at milestones (156, 200, 250, 300). So no power creep. No need to revamp. Please just take the wings template and add new colors for each milestone. It takes very little time to implement. (E.g. Bronze, silver, golden and blooded wings). And with this you give veterans a goal. Thanks.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Cordovan talked about this on his last Friday's at 4 live stream (It's not up on youtube yet or I'd link it with timestamp, it's on twitch if you want to sit thru it and find the correct timestamp). He made it quite clear that they've said in the past they don't intend to offer anything for above 156 and they haven't changed their minds on that.

Sarlona Raiding

It seems clear that most players with 156+ reaper points just want cosmetics at milestones (156, 200, 250, 300). So no power creep. No need to revamp. Please just take the wings template and add new colors for each milestone. It takes very little time to implement. (E.g. Bronze, silver, golden and blooded wings). And with this you give veterans a goal. Thanks.
This seems like too much work. Pick a date, maybe the release of Myth Drannor and give everyone a unique cloak that reached 156. Done.