What quests drop the highest ability tomes?

Onyxia2016

There is a quest for +8 tomes.
You press CTRL-S to enter the quest.
Main objective is to search for the right tome in a sea of tomes.
(Optional) Don't go broke completing this quest.

Gimp-1

Ive pulled +8 tomes from several riads (MA R1 / VOD R4) I didnt need them so just put up for roll and handed to guildies. They are rare but do drop. Helps when there are loot boosts active.

Lazuli

Ive pulled +8 tomes from several riads (MA R1 / VOD R4) I didnt need them so just put up for roll and handed to guildies. They are rare but do drop. Helps when there are loot boosts active.
The drops are greater in reaper raids, but generally to do legendary raids in reaper you require a good character, including tomes. It's the whiting that bites its tail: you want to raid to get tomes, but you need tomes to raid...

The drop of tomes in raids on LH, which is usually the most played difficulty by people who are not in guilds that raid, is quite low (although higher than in quests, which is almost non-existent), and generally they are not tomes +8 (which usually drop on reaper). Therefore, generally for someone who does not have a very developed character or friends who can help with raids in certain difficulties, the most feasible thing is to farm points, getting some PLs in the process. Generally. If you have people to take you on reaper raids, great.

Onyxia2016

DDO is a series of hamster wheels. Good or bad is up to each of us to decide.
Grid favor (7500), save up the points to buy tomes, get upgrade tomes (RNG drops or via auctions) to advance stats as you find them.

If it helps, thinks of it as a milestone to work towards vs a hamster wheel you have to do.
Just keep reaching for that next rung of the ladder. You will eventually get to the top.

Col Kurtz

you never know where a Tome wil drop... >I remember Sands Quest end reward npc giving me a few over the years. And, I just gave my buddy a +4 cha tome that dropped in a Night Revels end chest

Scrag

I have like 10 in inventory I cant shift... I have a +7 to +8 wis, some other x->y tomes, lower +4, +5 tomes. They just don't shift on the ah for some reason. I FINALLY sold a tome on the ah after a month of trying, and I list them pretty cheap on a starting bid compared to other ones listed.

C-Dog

Tomes are a VERY low % drop from quests, both from chests and from end-rewards. Beyond merely "rare".

By FAR your best bet is to either a) grind up to 5000 (for +5) or 7500 Favor (for +8)*, and/or b) save up your DDO Points and buy a Universal Tome when they are On Sale.

* https://ddowiki.com/page/Favor#Total_Favor (Note that you can also, almost by accident, get a half-dozen or more** +3 Skill Tomes from Sagas*** on your way to either of these.

(** Depending how many expansion-pack Sagas you have access to; 14 max Sagas possible, but 7 are essentially F2P.)

*** https://ddowiki.com/page/Saga#Epic_Sagas (Pro Tip: Each completed Epic Saga will offer (on True Elite) 4 random +3 Skill Tomes. Don't grab a Skill Tome right away - wait until you have finished all your Sagas, then go back and pick and choose from the 6+ lists to minimize duplicates.)

Gimp-1

This weekend we had three drop in a single Skellies raid on Hard. all were +7 tomes. Popped mine up for roll and a non-guildy won it. They seemed rather happy. Also had 3 blue flame horses drop in a Hunt (Hard) that same night.

droid327

This weekend we had three drop in a single Skellies raid on Hard. all were +7 tomes. Popped mine up for roll and a non-guildy won it. They seemed rather happy. Also had 3 blue flame horses drop in a Hunt (Hard) that same night.
This weekend was a Treasure Hunter Weekend and that vastly improves the drop rate of tomes and other rare store items

Cruelly, the thrall champs made it difficult to ransack a lot of quests on r1 efficiently outside of raids...

axel15810

My raid group had a +8 STR tome drop in R1 VoD this past weekend. I didn't even know +8s could drop in there.

The Narc

Not really. They could have used the free DDO points from favor to buy AS to spend on the auction house.
That would be funny and silly!

+8 supreme tome cost 5745 ddo points

2000 astal shards cost 9995 ddo points

I will give you the permission to do the math.

Would love to hear your hypothesis on who those people would be that would spend ddo points to generate astral shards into the auction house market. Looking forward to hearing from you as to which demographic of players would be doing such an action.

Ahpuch

That would be funny and silly!

+8 supreme tome cost 5745 ddo points

2000 astal shards cost 9995 ddo points

I will give you the permission to do the math.

Would love to hear your hypothesis on who those people would be that would spend ddo points to generate astral shards into the auction house market. Looking forward to hearing from you as to which demographic of players would be doing such an action.
Your math requires that the person buying the shards is the same as the one buying the +8 tome.

It is entirely reasonable that some player has earned 500 DDO points from favor and they buy some astral shards to purchase some filigrees sold by the OP. NO astral shards were purchased with cash in that scenario. That case is sufficient to disprove your thesis that recommending selling on AS requires support for people buying AS with $. Is that sufficient or do I have to spell it out more fully?

The Narc

Your math requires that the person buying the shards is the same as the one buying the +8 tome.

It is entirely reasonable that some player has earned 500 DDO points from favor and they buy some astral shards to purchase some filigrees sold by the OP. NO astral shards were purchased with cash in that scenario. That case is sufficient to disprove your thesis that recommending selling on AS requires support for people buying AS with $. Is that sufficient or do I have to spell it out more fully?
So your hypothesis is that there is a player demographic that would do that instead of just pulling and looting hundreds of space filling filigrees and slotting in a non rare until they pulled the rare they were looking for, just to get that extra +2 prr. I would think that player is more likely to but quality of life things such as space or the last expansion with their hard earned ddo points from favor, or maybe even xp pots for faster tring or saving for otto boxes. What is the wxact demographic of players in this game that would be within that range of “entirely possible” that I or maybe others would consider being foolish/unreasonable to spend their hard earned ddo points on astral shards. Astral shards are bought with cash by those that lack the time or patience and need a quick fix, and as per my original post it is much cheaper to spend enough ddo points on a supreme tome then bother waisting it on the astral shard and astral shard auction house(albeit my recommendation is to not spend your ddo points on either and save them for expansion releases, for my own personal reason i follow this train of thought)

So sorry your case wouldnt hold up as reasonable doubt but you are free to try again. Any experienced player playing enough to earn 500 ddo points via favor is certainly playing enough to have pulled mass amounts of filigrees and isnt going to be spending, but i am open ears to you describing the type of player that fits into your hypothesis.

Ahpuch

So your hypothesis is that there is a player demographic that would do that instead of just pulling and looting hundreds of space filling filigrees and slotting in a non rare until they pulled the rare they were looking for, just to get that extra +2 prr. I would think that player is more likely to but quality of life things such as space or the last expansion with their hard earned ddo points from favor, or maybe even xp pots for faster tring or saving for otto boxes. What is the wxact demographic of players in this game that would be within that range of “entirely possible” that I or maybe others would consider being foolish/unreasonable to spend their hard earned ddo points on astral shards. Astral shards are bought with cash by those that lack the time or patience and need a quick fix, and as per my original post it is much cheaper to spend enough ddo points on a supreme tome then bother waisting it on the astral shard and astral shard auction house(albeit my recommendation is to not spend your ddo points on either and save them for expansion releases, for my own personal reason i follow this train of thought)

So sorry your case wouldnt hold up as reasonable doubt but you are free to try again. Any experienced player playing enough to earn 500 ddo points via favor is certainly playing enough to have pulled mass amounts of filigrees and isnt going to be spending, but i am open ears to you describing the type of player that fits into your hypothesis.
OK.

I will assume that everyone who gets DDO points subscribes to the Narc's monthly magazine of "How to Optimally Spend Your DDO Points" and that they don't just spend them as they wish when they wish.

However, People get DDO points for favor. People can buy AS with DDO points. People use AS to buy stuff from the AS exchange. That alone is sufficient to disprove your assertion that encouraging people to sell stuff on the AS is akin to telling them to spend cash to buy AS. monthly magazine of "How to Optimally Spend Your DDO Points". Regardless of whether you think there is anything on the AS that you would spend your points for. I fully accept that for all that subscribe to the Narc's monthly magazine of "How to Optimally Spend Your DDO Points" it is telling them to give SSG their cash. You can call that a win.