Wizards should have the option to pay the scroll and inscription fee and study the spells. It's exhausting to re-learn them after reincarnation

AustrianDeathMachine

In DDO you have no physical spell book. There is no physical item on your person for you to pass on. If there was it would be subject to random destruction like any of the other scrolls and items that you carry on your person.
You already don't want to have to scribe scrolls once per life. Imagine having to do it multiple times.

tsotate

In DDO you have no physical spell book. There is no physical item on your person for you to pass on. If there was it would be subject to random destruction like any of the other scrolls and items that you carry on your person.
You already don't want to have to scribe scrolls once per life. Imagine having to do it multiple times.
They removed item damage for items which aren't equipped years ago. Even if that were somehow not the case, you could still bind and attune the spellbook to prevent permanent damage.

GrayJedi AntiProPaladin

haven't so far seen any cosmetics items that are equipped take any damage - neither temporary nor permanent, even tho the rest of my armor or equipment take damage from adventuring
...I mean imagine how pissed people would be if their Elite Profane Cult Mask (purchased with cash one of the ultimate or collector bundles that's No longer available) or their Hella Bling Pirate Hats (some purchased with DDO points) that have bonuses on them were subject to randomly destroyed

also BTW we don't necessarily want an actual "my Spellbook" item taking yet another spot in the limited inventory slot
NPC spellbooks can be an item that we pick up and then once we Inscribe and Transfer all the spells into our current Spellbook showing up in our character sheet, that's a fine implementation as it is (just like how inscribing scrolls currently is), we just want it to be able to used as it is in next lives subject to level and class limitations just as other items that the player character has acquired/crafted/upgraded ...I mean it's Not like every character after TR needs to go get those same items again and go thru the same upgrading/crafting with the same materials, augments, sentience, etc.

your Spellbook should be the record of your accrued knowledge and understanding of how to perform Spells from your lives...again subject to level, class limitations...the spell is there in your spellbook but u can't perform it yet...BTW have noticed that currently u already can inscribe much higher level Wizard spells (haven't tried it yet with alchemist or artificer tho) into your Spellbook that you aren't high enough level to cast yet, but they aren't visible until u reach appropriate levels

another point is that in current state of the game, any Class (well the Player) has the foresight to plan ahead to figure out what equipment they need for Next lives' to use upon TR and go farm for it if they don't already have it....it seems quite weird that extremely INTelligent-based spell casting classes wouldn't have the same foresight to prepare their Spellbook for their future lives' to utilize after TR...

Last edited:

GrayJedi AntiProPaladin

BTW with regards to this:

"Each character has a different thing. Scribing scrolls is one of my favorite things about wizards."

that's totally cool and all if u want to keep doing that, and I'm all for that, but we're Not saying to take that away, we're suggesting is to give the Option of:

konstantinbg19 said:
Wizards should have the option to pay the scroll and inscription fee and study the spells. It's exhausting to re-learn them after reincarnation

it's just like when u go get House P buffs, u can get click individual ones if u want or u have the Option of 1 click to get all the House P or House J Buffs

or u can go to the Airship and roam to each individual room and get those buffs separately if that floats your boat, u do u (we ain't tryina to mess with your flow).... or we currently do have the Option of clicking on the top deck amenities bar to get all of them at once

ok just re-read this thread and this was already covered in Post #35 earlier (y)

Last edited:

Jummby

I agree completely if you tr it should save it forever. QOL must! This isn't something they can monetize and it's a chore. I get doing it one time per spell, once done, your toon should hold known spells through trs

nym_craian

Don't forget that in DnD 3/3.5, physical books had a lot of disadvantages.
  • The first is the size: Books have 100 pages. Cantirps take up 1 page, spells have as many pages as the level. e.g. a 9th level spell 9 pages; the 24 pcs 9th level spells are 216 pages, so more than two books. (If the wizard wanted to keep it with him - prepared for everything - then he had to carry a library with him.)
  • The second is the vulnerability of books, with which you can lose access to spells (starting with the ability to prepare) in an instant. e.g. gets stolen, dives into water and gets wet, gets hit by an attack,...
  • The third is the writing time: This is 24 hours per spell.

EvilDragon

• The first is the size: Books have 100 pages. Cantirps take up 1 page, spells have as many pages as the level. e.g. a 9th level spell 9 pages; the 24 pcs 9th level spells are 216 pages, so more than two books. (If the wizard wanted to keep it with him - prepared for everything - then he had to carry a library with him.)
  • The second is the vulnerability of books, with which you can lose access to spells (starting with the ability to prepare) in an instant. e.g. gets stolen, dives into water and gets wet, gets hit by an attack,...

SumClassesLvl 1Lvl 2Lvl 3Lvl 4Lvl 5Lvl 6Lvl 7Lvl 8Lvl 9
Alch
27​
42​
69​
72​
65​
60​
Arti
15​
40​
42​
48​
75​
66​
Wiz
33​
70​
72​
100​
95​
168​
112​
112​
108​

counts based on wiki.
So, this means we need 15+ spell books...
of course there will be commonly shared spells, the number will be lower than this actually, but checking it will be tedious.

nym_craian

Well, I just want to have an option that I said, learning spells from trainers... I don't like the itemised spellbook system.
Yes, it could be a good solution that instead of shops, you can learn not rare spells from instructors (similar to brd, sor, fvs, wlk exchanging spells system), a little above the price of a scroll, approx. scroll price + level inscription material price.

However, it does not hurt to revise the rare classification (for example, an alchemist does not have many).

There is no automatic transfer on respawn, but they can be collected quickly.

PaleFox

They removed item damage for items which aren't equipped years ago. Even if that were somehow not the case, you could still bind and attune the spellbook to prevent permanent damage.

Oooh, an adamantine ritual on my spellbook.

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.

SumClassesLvl 1Lvl 2Lvl 3Lvl 4Lvl 5Lvl 6Lvl 7Lvl 8Lvl 9
Alch
27​
42​
69​
72​
65​
60​
Arti
15​
40​
42​
48​
75​
66​
Wiz
33​
70​
72​
100​
95​
168​
112​
112​
108​

counts based on wiki.
So, this means we need 15+ spell books...
of course there will be commonly shared spells, the number will be lower than this actually, but checking it will be tedious.
They got something called a dimensional pocket, where they can safely store their shinies.

Lazuli

The truth is that it would be much more comfortable to learn the non-rare spells from the trainers by paying the wrinting fee, but my proposal was to maintain the lore of D&D and at the same time keep the ultra-lore purists happy. If the devs want to opt for this option, great for me.

I really don't understand most of the people complaining here. It seems that they do it simply because they want to complain or because they are afraid of change. They complain that inheriting spellbooks in reincarnations is not in keeping with the lore (as if reincarnations are a D&D thing or the fighter's sword is different from the wizard's spellbook, and no one cries because fighters keep their weapons from one life to the next), several other suggestions are made to them that are in fact consistent with pnp, and they continue to protest.

Come on, guys. These proposals have zero powercreep. They do not increase the power of the wizards even a little. All they do is eliminate the tedium of spending a lot of time looking for scroll sellers, buying them and also buying spell mats, and then writing them. An unnecessarily long process that contributes nothing.

Wizards don't even have the alchemists' luxury of having all the scrolls in one vendor at level 1. You have vendors in the market and phiarlan before you can go to the portable hole. Come on, it's about QoL, not power.

Solarpower

I really don't understand most of the people complaining here.
Now, really.
Let's just break the TR system again. The TR that never worked well resulted in loss of the items/past lives/karma points/etc. Simply bacause several lazy players can't go to a vendor and relearn the spells THEY DON'T NEED AND WOULD NEVER USE ! Sure. Go on.

We must not stop here and nominate this for the "Suggestion of the year" award ! 🙄

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Exactly what advantage do you think casters get by not wasting an hour every life scribing every single scroll? Being able to play, instead of standing in the portable hole? Pretty sure non-casters can do that too.
You also Learn spells @ level. I'm finally getting to casters after playing a lot of melee/ranger.

But the purpose of scribing is already long gone redundant. After all every time you scribe the roll is 100% guaranteed to succeed.
The pupose of Scribing shows intent.

Okay you can write them each life you want, some of us find the task tedious, is it really skin off your back if we don't do it?
No. But it clearly annoys you. :(
scroll vendors should have a "Just teach me everything" dialog option.

I got 4 chest on my ship with nothing but scrolls?
Yeak. SCROLL CASE! LOL.. I just spent 2 hours flipping thru my toons for the Cookie Jar. Amazingly, only 2 of 25 have one.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
The truth is that it would be much more comfortable to learn the non-rare spells from the trainers by paying the wrinting fee, but my proposal was to maintain the lore of D&D and at the same time keep the ultra-lore purists happy. If the devs want to opt for this option, great for me.

I really don't understand most of the people complaining here. It seems that they do it simply because they want to complain or because they are afraid of change. They complain that inheriting spellbooks in reincarnations is not in keeping with the lore (as if reincarnations are a D&D thing or the fighter's sword is different from the wizard's spellbook, and no one cries because fighters keep their weapons from one life to the next), several other suggestions are made to them that are in fact consistent with pnp, and they continue to protest.

Come on, guys. These proposals have zero powercreep. They do not increase the power of the wizards even a little. All they do is eliminate the tedium of spending a lot of time looking for scroll sellers, buying them and also buying spell mats, and then writing them. An unnecessarily long process that contributes nothing.

Wizards don't even have the alchemists' luxury of having all the scrolls in one vendor at level 1. You have vendors in the market and phiarlan before you can go to the portable hole. Come on, it's about QoL, not power.
I do hate messing with / trying to figure out what level inscription scroll I need to learn my scroll. (y)

Lyrin

Eberron Scholar
Honestly, my opinion is that Wizards should get 3 free spells per level instead of 2. Alchemists and Artis should get enough to ensure they can fill all their spell slots. (Would have to look up the number, but too lazy). You get what you need, but then make you go chase stuff down if you want that wonderful feeling of knowing every spell.

Onyxia2016

The way I see it, DDO has two main audiences, with varying degree between them.
There is the lore focused Role Play (RP) type were the game is more than just killing something. They step into the game would in their mind.
There is also the "bring on the action and let get on with killing something" type.
Both are valid ways to play and rewarding in there own way.
Any in-game systems needs to respect both these player types.

As for me I am some place in the middle. There are times I just want to go into a quest and be a murder hobo. Then there are time I let my imagination take center stage and transport myself into the game world. I stop short of doing voice impersonation thought :p

Leave the current system as it is but add a way for players to go to mage university and pay an NPC to bestow some knowledge on them aka teach them all the none rare spells.

This does not infringe on the enjoyment of either play type. Everyone should be happy with something like this.

If you complain about this type of arrangement, it simple means you want everyone to play as you see fit, regardless of their enjoyment.

l_remmie

Scroll scribing is a relic of the past left in for the immersion. You can't optimize everything in the game, you'll be left with a soulless husk.

Lazuli

Now, really.
Let's just break the TR system again. The TR that never worked well resulted in loss of the items/past lives/karma points/etc. Simply bacause several lazy players can't go to a vendor and relearn the spells THEY DON'T NEED AND WOULD NEVER USE ! Sure. Go on.

We must not stop here and nominate this for the "Suggestion of the year" award ! 🙄
The mention of breaking the TR system is so misguided that it doesn't even deserve a response. By the way, yelling is rude.

If those spells are worthless, why are you so upset when other people learn them? Just because you don't use them doesn't mean that others won't use them. This is to protest for the sake of protesting. You are not affected by this change, continue writing your four spells and playing the wizard as a sorcerer.