DDO unavailable: Saturday March 30th

John3000

We are continuing to work overnight to address issues preventing the game services from being available. If something changes overnight we will let you know, otherwise we will be back in touch in the morning. As to the cause, we have significant hardware that is not able to communicate properly, and we've engaged technical operations folks all day and night here to work on it at the data center.

I asked an AI bot for insight to help quell your hardware communication problems.... It seems to suggest a good old fashioned witch burning 🤣 :

OIG1.jpg

If you guys don't have any witches on payroll, I guess sacrificing an intern or two will do... 🤖

Good luck with the repairs.

Cheers

pame12

Yeah I'm calling it, data corruption in database "we will have to revert to last week+, we are sorry... and promise this will never ever happen again"

CBDunk

...and that's a full 24 hours.

So far, we've heard that there are problems with hardware communications in the data center and that they'll let us know when they have an ETA or more information.

Everything else (Fred retribution, striking hamsters, explosions, backhoe accidents, etc) is pure speculation.

Sylvado

The guessing game, OK.

1. The key people that know what's what are on holiday. They can't be arsed (rightfully) to return to office/desktop, since they took a plane and don't have their work environment near them.
2. Some database or settings file(s) or whatever got corrupted, making restarting the servers not an option.
3. Whatever, they should have safeguards in place to prevent this situation, making quick startups in case of disaster an option. Protocols need to be set up beforehand. It all boils down to being prepared for disasters. This requires work before stuff happens... and possibly they haven't done said work.

In any case, I've resigned to not playing this weekend, and possibly into next week. I hope this makes this a learning event.
but that could be resolved with a roll back. Although that is a hard choice to make due to the consequences on customers once you are 24 hours in you would have made that call.

Shardrena

but that could be resolved with a roll back. Although that is a hard choice to make due to the consequences on customers once you are 24 hours in you would have made that call.

Don't think a rollback would help if it's a hardware issue. And again, none of us actually knows anything about the situation beyond what has been posted by official sources. Which was... not much information. It's definitely not enough information for random forum goers to start diagnosing what the problem is, or know what the fix is. We don't know what hardware is used in the servers. We don't know what operating system is used by them either. We don't know if the problem is hardware or software. We just don't know, because the community manager hasn't relayed any of that info.

And the community manager probably doesn't have said info either.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ