Introducing our VIP Loyalty Reward Program!

Shear-buckler

Repackage all of the VIP Loyalty Reward Program into a supporter pack for $99 and toss in a year of VIP and most would have purchased without questioning at all.

That crazy assumption shows how out of touch of reality you have to be to support the new system.

Most players would absolutely not pay $99 for this crap. Most people in your bubble perhaps.

Sarl

Tying the rewards to log-in and current VIP status are both perfectly reasonable.

They want to encourage players to log in, that is not a bad thing.

The only reason it's a problem is because of the infinite track where if you slip once you will never recover. If it was capped it would just be a temporary setback.
I disagree. The rewards are tied to being a VIP. If they want people to login then they would probably want it to be more frequently than once per month. Many other games have already demonstrated programmes that reward players for logging in daily and this is nowhere near that.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
I disagree. The rewards are tied to being a VIP. If they want people to login then they would probably want it to be more frequently than once per month. Many other games have already demonstrated programmes that reward players for logging in daily and this is nowhere near that.
If they want people to log in more, add daily +% Exp for a log and a another +% extra Exp for streak log-ins which is capped at x%. If the streak breaks the extra Exp gone.
IMO as a provider you have to know your customers. Age, habits, wants and needs. They cant live in a delusion.

I was thinking a lot about it since the new VIP program came out and I believe there is one thing SSG did not take into account. And this is the age of their customers. DDO playerbase is much older than an average game or other MMORPGs. I dont know the exact number but definetely not teenagers and kids. Prolly 40+ or 50+.
A kid would react to this without thinking: Yeah I log in every day! Cool!
But adult people dont react well to be manipulated, pressed or dictated.

I simply believe that SSG chose the worst method for this VIP program to be accepted nevertheless they meant it well.

Last edited:

Lazuli

I don't think folks are upset at FREEQUESTS being given away per se, but more about the secondary effective indirect nerf to VIP. I think FREEQUESTS was/is brilliant. 👏👏👏

It was never an issue for me personally as I'm largely Premium and didn't get any advantage from FREEQUESTS either, but I do agree VIPs should have been given more as a result. 👍
Yes, the code is a good move, but not brilliant. Brilliant would have been to make it permanent, give it to the new ones with the purchase of 6 months VIP or an xpack. Because there is a brutal paywall for new players.

People are upset not because of the code itself, but because now VIP no longer has new content additions. All new content is either free (this is fine, turbine also added regular free content) or paid. And there is a lot of content that VIPs now have to pay for separately. Not only the expansion quests, but they have added an ED, iconic races, trees, etc, all of which VIPs have to pay for separately. Add to this that now the xpac tomes have the ridiculous price of more than 3K, so many people have considered not only that VIP no longer fulfills the previous role of providing all the content, but also the 500 points per months are very short for everything new. So pay twice as much as before (luxury pack + VIP), or pay even more, because the content of the expansions is a very high number of points.

SSG has changed the turbine model, and I have no doubt that releasing an xpack every year will make them more money. But for the VIPs it has been a literal slap in the face. And when devs later said that something that is basically quite poor, like the gold rolls, is fiscally irresponsible, it literally warmed people's spirits. This is where many VIPs realized that SSG had no intention of making the subscription worthwhile.

But I don't think we can expect anything better, the only thing is that they give the rewards whether you log in or not. The comment about the gold rolls made it very clear that they have no intention of improving the subscription beyond a sugacoat.

To tell the truth, I am more interested than the subscription that the devs stop making overnerfs, solve the poor state of the alts, and stop the disdainful treatment of those who do not praise everything they do. As a happy customer I spend more than as a dissatisfied customer, and I don't stop to look so carefully the real value of my entertainment.

(Of course, SSG is not up to doing those things either lol)

Last edited:

Ungermax

Master Artificer
Yes, the code is a good move, but not brilliant. Brilliant would have been to make it permanent, give it to the new ones with the purchase of 6 months VIP or an xpack. Because there is a brutal paywall for new players.

People are upset not because of the code itself, but because now VIP no longer has new content additions. All new content is either free (this is fine, turbine also added regular free content) or paid. And there is a lot of content that VIPs now have to pay for separately. Not only the expansion quests, but they have added an ED, iconic races, trees, etc, all of which VIPs have to pay for separately. Add to this that now the xpac tomes have the ridiculous price of more than 3K, so many people have considered not only that VIP no longer fulfills the previous role of providing all the content, but also the 500 points per months are very short for everything new. So pay twice as much as before (luxury pack + VIP), or pay even more, because the content of the expansions is a very high number of points.

SSG has changed the turbine model, and I have no doubt that releasing an xpack every year will make them more money. But for the VIPs it has been a literal slap in the face. And when devs later said that something that is basically quite poor, like the gold rolls, is fiscally irresponsible, it literally warmed people's spirits. This is where many VIPs realized that SSG had no intention of making the subscription worthwhile.

But I don't think we can expect anything better, the only thing is that they give the rewards whether you log in or not. The comment about the gold rolls made it very clear that they have no intention of improving the subscription beyond a sugacoat.

To tell the truth, I am more interested than the subscription that the devs stop making overnerfs, solve the poor state of the alts, and stop the disdainful treatment of those who do not praise everything they do. As a happy customer I spend more than as a dissatisfied customer, and I don't stop to look so carefully the real value of my entertainment.

(Of course, SSG is not up to doing those things either lol)
Amen. So many people forget that the real reason for a vip revamp is that we dont have access to all content any more. They should revert back to doing a standard pack each year. Not all new content needs a slayer area and a new crafting system or new set bonus gear.

mikarddo

Amen. So many people forget that the real reason for a vip revamp is that we dont have access to all content any more. They should revert back to doing a standard pack each year. Not all new content needs a slayer area and a new crafting system or new set bonus gear.

If they made 3 packs with a total of 12 quests + 1 race or 1 class each that was free to VIP but cost say 4000 ddo points for premium we would not be having this conversation. But they add very little each year that is free to VIP.

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
If they made 3 packs with a total of 12 quests + 1 race or 1 class each that was free to VIP but cost say 4000 ddo points for premium we would not be having this conversation. But they add very little each year that is free to VIP.
Indeed.

I think the last time they added something free to VIPs (but paid to everyone else) was in november 2022.

woq

I've heard this perspective a lot, and I understand it... but I also disagree with it. In a PVE game where I need to not only own the content... but need my friends to own it too... it benefits me FAR MORE as a VIP for EVERYONE to have the content rather than just me have it and non-VIPs to be left out.

The coupon codes were a solid move from SSG during COVID and not only brought a lot of new/returning players to DDO, but also provided entertainment to folks during a really difficult time. VIPs have also received various other benefits since SSG offered the coupon (such as free gold rolls for a year) and this new program fleshes it out even more.

TL/DR- I "get" the perspective that the quest coupons made some folks feel like VIP is worth less than before, but also feel like this is a classic example of "no good deed goes unpunished".
Yeah, so the Coupon codes were basically public transport, and nobody in their right mind says good public transport is a bad thing. It benefits literally everyone.

But it does lower the value of owning a car, but in this case not the cost of owning a car. So instead of making parking free for VIP car owners (increase access to now old expansions that already come at 99 points fairly often, or grant access to iconics, or whatever) they offered shiny leather seating to your old Honda Civic with an added clause that requires visiting the car dealership on a monthly basis whether you care about current deals or not, because they just may offer better deals in the future that will be beyond your reach no matter how much money you'd be willing to pay for arbitrary reasons. This is obviously understandably aggravating to car owners.

Ungermax

Master Artificer
Exactly! Anyone who is saying theyre happy with the new thing is basically sanctioning SSGs decision to not value our loyalty as much as they used to "because its more than we've been getting." Its a joooooooooke

healertank

Oooo, i like it when people say "you don't use all your slots" and think they speak for everyone..

Overall all of my accounts, I use 142 slots as bank alts and i have (at the last count) 22 muleships. On the main account, where i pay for VIP, I think I'm at 48 or 49 slots.
I have two active characters.

(1) Main, uber completionist;
(2) No.2 and is wherever the main isn't.

One event farmer, and another that is permanently stationed at 5 to help new players. Other than that, the rest are all bank alts. Even have one alt as a dedicated wardrobe (if they ever brought out one for boots, I'd be doomed!!!)
I stopped using/paying for multiple accounts. My family and friends that used to play with me all gave up the game and have no interest in coming back. Anyway, I wasn't trying to speak for everyone at all... I was making a joke about how much storage we have to have for storing junk because the game doesn't do a good job and just encourages hoarding equipment that we often don't/won't use again. If I had more slots they would all be mules too, but I have found myself going through alts occasionally to try to get rid of junk I most likely won't ever use. I'm not going to keep buying more character slots to store more junk lol. I could save about 2 or 3 alts if they would just give us a cosmetic locker... cosmetics taking up way too much space. Yeah.. some people play lots of characters... some just 1 or 2.

Reactions: DBZ

healertank

I still think being able to keep favor storage after TR and maybe even starting at lev 4 if if we get the favor in perpetuity (if we want) would be nice.
You should want favor to reset each TR so you can get free ddo points again. It is a small amount but it adds up quickly every past life. Your going to quest anyway to get levels again right? So getting the favor for at least the easy fruit favor rewards is usually not an issue (extra hit points mostly and some skill bonus etc.) Maybe they could add an option to not reset it for some reason I guess, but most players likely want to get the free DDO points again.

healertank

Other studios give meaningful daily rewards just for logging in. I am remember trying to log in to ESO every day to get those rare great rewards, of which there were multiple nice rewards per month. Not to even mention thousands of people would log in to do the massive 1 time bonus of a random PUG.

SSG: Here is a reward that is the equilvalent to trash loot, IE Sent XP: 300 after months of AFK subbing.

edit: I am actually OK with no VIP reward. People should be rewarded for logging in and playing. That is what will make DDO better. Not someone subbing for a year but playing another game that they consider more fun.
They should give out a 300exp Sent gem every day. It is like getting a small exp stone... not much but over time you can save up enough to skip the 1st few levels after a TR. For 1 sent 300exp gem as a reward choice after months of paying for sub?!?! it is a plain insult... like they couldn't think of anything. The entire bag as a reward wouldn't even be that great for 1 month reward. The entire bag of stuff should be given every month on top of all the other things. Not just 1 item from the bag... every single item, every month.

healertank

I dislike the entire idea of having to claim a reward every month. I am VIP for the convinience - and having to remember to claim some minor reward every month is rather inconvinient. If I dont remember I will be very annoying, if I do remember I will be annoyed I have to go somewhere for it rather than just get it automatically.
Yes having to claim it is a horrible idea. People might just want to pay for vip but not be able to log in some months... or for many months. I'm really thinking about our military that sometimes are out on deployment for long periods of time, often with no chance of logging into a game every month. Guys on a submarine for instance often can go months without even getting or sending emails... let alone playing an MMO! And making someone have to log into the game and go somewhere specific to claim a reward they are paying for? just odd. Is it so hard to code giving an account a reward automatically? At least let those that don't claim it every month able to claim past rewards without penalty.

healertank

Players asks for more QoL
Players get more storage space to play tetris
Yep and even worse...
Players get... hardly any storage space... some of it having to wait months and months for also... oh boy 10 whole slots... Should at least get 20 slots automatically if you are vip. Most games give double storage or something similar for VIP... even LotR gives double storage with vip... a standing stones game!