A Greeting From The DDO Wiki!

Foaly's_Pub

Rumble Creator and Wiki editor
Are you a Wiki editor? I'd love to get input from people actually editing and running the Wiki on the idea.
I am a wiki editor and a lot of times we rely on the community to get us screen shots(what it looks like and effects), quest/explore objectives and xp rates, maps, bonus milestones (slayer objectives, kill/trap/brakables/hidden doors), and even loot from quests some times even taking days or weeks to aggregate it all.....

Buddha5440

I can't recall how many times I've linked to the wiki in a post after giving a brief synopsis of a topic to someone with a question. Definitely a wonderful resource :)

Stoner81

Are you a Wiki editor? I'd love to get input from people actually editing and running the Wiki on the idea.

I have edited in the past and found it to be an extremely time consuming process. They want everything done in a very specific way and various things and this (I think) is why most folks don't do it. So much of it is miles out of date (last time I looked most of the Cannith Challenge items hadn't been updated after they got done and that was years ago, though things may be different now. I tried doing them but without constant access to Lamania where I can get free materials it was impossible).

Stoner81.

Last edited:

Foaly's_Pub

I have edited in the past and found it to be an extremely time consuming process. They want everything done in a very specific way and various things and this (I think) is why most folks don't do it. So much of it is miles out of date (last time I looked most of the Cannith Challenge items hadn't been updated after they got done and that was years ago, though things may be different now. I tried doing them but without constant access to Lamania where I can free materials it was impossible).

Stoner81.
most quest, especially challenges haven't changed so once they are posted usually the only thing that changes is added info on them or slight corrections. if Items need updated then well we weren't notified that they had (I only run challenges for the reknown pots)

peteed1985

I laughed when I saw the wiki has an Official Known Issues page which was last updated by Turbine in 2012 and the page hasn't been removed or replaced with a Standing Stone Games version.

C-Dog

Not everyone knows enough code or computer language to help with the wiki concretely...
Actually, anyone who can type can contribute.

Hit "Edit", type the info you want to add in the area you want to see it, hit "Preview" (to make sure nothing got badly broken), and if that invites another editor to add some (not-so) fancy code to that, it'll happen - just that simple!

If you want to draw special attention to it, there is a "comments" section at the bottom of the edit box - just sing away in that area!

It's easier than you'd think! :cool:

Stoner81

most quest, especially challenges haven't changed so once they are posted usually the only thing that changes is added info on them or slight corrections. if Items need updated then well we weren't notified that they had (I only run challenges for the reknown pots)

It was a big update a long time ago I think so it would have been in the release notes at the time.

Stoner81.

Aelonwy

Actually, anyone who can type can contribute.

Hit "Edit", type the info you want to add in the area you want to see it, hit "Preview" (to make sure nothing got badly broken), and if that invites another editor to add some (not-so) fancy code to that, it'll happen - just that simple!

If you want to draw special attention to it, there is a "comments" section at the bottom of the edit box - just sing away in that area!

It's easier than you'd think! :cool:
Maybe I'll try it but I would be anxious not mess anything up.

Xezon

Maybe I'll try it but I would be anxious not mess anything up.
The good news is that there is an undo, should you make an error and things go sideways you can always undo your revisions up to and including restoring a page back to a previous version should the page break.

I'm an editor and spend quite a bit of time accuracy testing things between patch notes and wiki entries. You'll find me floating around here and Lamannia a lot when big updates come out, and I can't echo this enough. I'd love a Wiki Forum thread. It'd be a great place to be able to put together to-do lists for new releases the community could pitch in on so we can get information out as quickly and accurately as possible after a release. As purple said as well, it also would help us with clarity issues. A place to discuss information on the wiki specifically would make it way easier to keep up with what I saw where in the middle of a completely unrelated topic.

As an aside: If you notice something on the wiki page that's note right and aren't comfortable with editing it yourself, feel free to shoot me a message here and I'll get it fixed. There's lots of great editors that do great work to try to keep the wiki running as accurately as possible, any help is appreciated.

I understand if it's taking a slippery slope, but since the wiki is probably the MOST used resource for game knowledge I'd say it at least merits a consideration.

Last edited:

ShawnVW

This has to date not been a problem, and the few posts asking for Wiki edits typically gets a response of "ok, so what is stopping you from doing it?" :) I am ok with creating a sub-forum to coordinate Wiki edits, but I just don't see it getting much if any use based on historic posting behavior. If there is enough interest though to warrant its creation that is fine with me!

Sometimes the person requesting the change or update is not in a position to do so themselves. For instance, you know those excellent maps in every quest? The one in "Reach for the Sky" is in error or out of date. Fixing a graphic created by another contributor is very difficult, assuming you even have the time or the skill, which I don't.

We could also use a sub-forum to discuss global or policy changes. Like "Going forward, if you paste a screenshot of a weapon description, let's add a caption showing the STR (or DEX, etc) of the character wielding it, because this affects the Base Damage Rating"

Finally: a few wiki pages have a discussion in progress on their Discussion (Talk) tab; but unless you're looking for it, you're not likely to even think about it. So if I want to have a conversation about, say, the confusing way a raid mechanic is described, I'm more likely to gain eyeballs here than on the raid's Discussion page.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
We could also use a sub-forum to discuss global or policy changes. Like "Going forward, if you paste a screenshot of a weapon description, let's add a caption showing the STR (or DEX, etc) of the character wielding it, because this affects the Base Damage Rating"

Policy changes, rare as they are, should really be announced on the wiki itself, as we can't guarantee every wiki editor is on this forum, or will see the post.

As for the other points, thanks to Cordovan, we do now have our own sub-section on the forum, so feel free to post stuff there.

ShawnVW

I was talking about discussing potential changes. Of course they'd announced on the wiki when finalized. (Although, to be honest, I'm not sure of where policies are laid out currently. I tend to mimic existing layouts, and copy-and-paste formats when I need them.)

Spook

I believe they are referring to this page which even says might be out of date since update 32 (2016?) most of the individual pages have been updated since.

ZEMTEK

Which challenge is the easist to solo for parts for reknown pots? I am on Orien server Zemtek

PersonMan

In just this past year nearly ever single weapon and quest (with the exception of challenges) potentially experienced some change due to the shift in conquest requirements and the +W rebalance.
New stuff is easy as you know what needs to be added, but it is a major undertaking for the community to hunt down anything that was updated in the game.
I wonder how many Epic items still need a new screenshot post stat squish.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
In just this past year nearly ever single weapon and quest (with the exception of challenges) potentially experienced some change due to the shift in conquest requirements and the +W rebalance.
New stuff is easy as you know what needs to be added, but it is a major undertaking for the community to hunt down anything that was updated in the game.
I wonder how many Epic items still need a new screenshot post stat squish.
At this point, with a bit of help from one of the game's data files, I have already updated all weapons on the wiki for their U62 changes. If you see a screenshot on a page with a disagreeing value, the page is correct. (I believe another user has been periodically replacing screenshots based on weapon type, but it's a lengthy process.)

The quest conquest requirements are still an ongoing issue, as those have to be tested in-game, which has to be done quest by quest and takes a long time.

Last edited:

Foaly's_Pub

Which challenge is the easist to solo for parts for reknown pots? I am on Orien server Zemtek
honestly if you want FAST dragons hoards or anyone of the short ones... if you want max do them 5 under the diff and get all objectives.... kobald isle is the hardest of the set just cause of the defense part of it. lava caves is just a pain if you don't get the right spawns for the teleporters. and dragons hord and masnsion is your best bet for mats... solo do mansion if you suck at crystal cove. there is one of the mansions you can sell your extra time to the kobald do that one for solo its faster then the others time wise on mansion.

Zynnie

Does anyone know why the DDO wiki now has adds covering the content? The adds used to show only in the margins.