A story about tiered progression and big city server people

Br4d

DDO is like a super highway. New players are riding tricycles.

This is not going to get fixed.

Lazuli

Yes Sharn is the worst offender in the entire pantheon of DDO quests. I try to take a positive look at it in that quest chaining went out with a bang as they haven't had chaining since then. It might have been what made SSG finally learn what players had been telling them.

Eveningstar is probably 2nd worst. I don't think you can get into the demon web for the last few quests without "the portal opens". You may be able to red door the Drow quests but I am not certain.
Eveningstar is as bad or worse than Sharn, it's just that a lot of people don't play it.

To enter in Battle for eveningtar you need the first 3 quests. To play the second chain, you need Battle. To enter The Portal Opens. you need the 3 quests of the 2nd chain. And to enter into demonweb you need Portal opens.

In other words, there are 4 blocks to access the following quests. It's stupid.

JustHavingFunBro

I don't even put groups up while doing ES1 through ES3. Its the dumbest, most anti-grouping chain in the game.

Its extremely stupid and shortsighted that we have this antigrouping mechanic in a game where there might only be 5 people, or less, in the level range at any given time. Then those 5 people have to be on the exact same point at the exact same time. Pure stupidity.

Archaic

Most people who insist on zerging are running xp pots...
It's proper etiquette to mention intentions to zerg. You'd see it in LFMs regularly in the Golden Age of DDO amongst other flags for what to expect or what was expected of you.

Bjond

If SSG wanted to end zerging all they'd need to do was leave a little trail of XP leading off a cliff.

Ungermax

Master Artificer
Eveningstar is as bad or worse than Sharn, it's just that a lot of people don't play it.

To enter in Battle for eveningtar you need the first 3 quests. To play the second chain, you need Battle. To enter The Portal Opens. you need the 3 quests of the 2nd chain. And to enter into demonweb you need Portal opens.

In other words, there are 4 blocks to access the following quests. It's stupid.
This is precisely why I don't run Eveningstar (apart from Druids chain of course). I dont know Portal Opens, I dont know Demonweb, any of it, have never been there, because of the pre-quest requirements. Its just too easy to be past the level where you would run them.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

That's really sad to hear OP. ☹️ At least, with such a relatively large server population you can hopefully avoid those folks in future more often than not. 👍

ChaoticDrivel

When people mention DDO has a great community - I always chuckle slightly.

"Great" is a bit of a stretch. "A community" is closer to the truth :p

Examples like the OP's represents the majority of players I encounter(I PUG primarily).

Just yesterday I saw several examples of:

-Players not sharing quests
-Players getting left behind
-Finishing a quest before everyone was in/ready
-Taking different paths than the party leader. Then dying- causing us to have to backtrack and res them...multiple times
-Zerging ahead to complete the end fight, while the trapper was just about to get the trap bonus
-Players leaving the party, without a word, at the first instance of an impasse
-Players leaving loot in chests that other party members called out they might like...multiple times
-Piking

I could keep going. And this was from just one day of play...

It doesn't help that the devs have facilitated this fixation on XP, above all else. Same goes for anti-grouping mechanisms, or the design of XP pots - which just reinforces poor etiquette.

And you can add the fixation on DPS to that. There is little place for anything else. So of course people are zerging onwards(packing large AOE damage) in their pursuit of power; utterly unhindered by anything the dungeons or monsters throw at them. They even let you heal yourself fully in Reaper mode now!

Thus, the "consummate" DDO players contends: Why should I care about other players. They'll just slow me down! Well...I guess during buddy bonus...

So it shouldn't come as a surprise, then, that the kinds of people that prioritized being social, or being a good teammate - rather than things like grind and XP/min - have long since moved on from a game that stopped caring about them.

------------------------------------------------------

I also saw newer players stream the game this past week (which is great). But the approach that veteran players took to helping them wasn't always the best. Things like spoiling their sense of discovery/achievement, by pointing every last thing out. Or by rolling up toons to help; only to complete the objectives and quest by themselves - leaving the newbie with nothing to do. Sound familiar? Of course, their enthusiasm was palpably deflated. And this is courtesy of the folks with good intentions...

Contrary to the advice that I, and others espouse - simply saying you're new in party chat(when it works), doesn't actually change the self-serving behaviour of most players. Seriously, try it. Roll up a new toon and play through a life as if you legitimately knew nothing. You'll be in for a rude awakenening, as it pertains to how accomodating others are.

Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones that encounters the genuinely good eggs in the DDO community; who will actually stop and give you the time of day. And who are sufficiently considerate of others. They are out there as well.

Not enough though...

------------------------------------------------------

My advice is to treat other players like actual people. Like if someone new shows up at work...at school...at your bowling alley...at your street basketball game...at your community center...

Would you ignore them, and just keep doing your own thing? Would you not show them around? Would you not include them in your projects? Would you not consider bowling with the bumpers(rails) up this go-around? Would you never pass them the ball? Would you continue your activities, with no regard whatsoever for the new person over there?

If you do - that just makes you as slimy as Muck. And let's face it - no one likes ooze :sick:

Or.......

You could make someone's day. And be the difference, as to whether or not they continue to play the game- and enjoy doing so.

Lazuli

This is precisely why I don't run Eveningstar (apart from Druids chain of course). I dont know Portal Opens, I dont know Demonweb, any of it, have never been there, because of the pre-quest requirements. Its just too easy to be past the level where you would run them.
I do play them. They are fun quests, well designed, with a good story. They are not difficult for solo play if you can't find a group.

Its only two problems are access blocks due to the need for repeated flags (this makes grouping difficult) and that the loot is completely outdated. Although the comms have value again (for augments).

SSG has repeatedly made major changes that no one has asked of them. I would like them to dedicate time for once to things that we have asked, such as removing these types of useless flags and putting filters on the crafting bank.

JustHavingFunBro

I do play them. They are fun quests, well designed, with a good story. They are not difficult for solo play if you can't find a group.
Not to mention the saga rewards and if you're doing two epic lives this chain really does help. Its absolutely worth the effort of learning how to get to the quest and doing them.

Svirfneblin

Sometimes Orien PUGs are not a team but a bunch of individuals who don’t stop, don’t talk, don’t pick up soul stones, don’t raise just rush to the end, loot and exit. I was in a raid last weekend that behaved just like that.

Sometimes Orien PUGs are a great TEAM of like minded people who communicate well, assist others, are happy to help or explain, have empathy and follow The Golden Rule.

It’s like A Box of Chocolates.

Dragavon

Some players are running 50% potions, with many more lives to get, and they want max vfm from their XP potions. That is their prerogative, even if you do not like the way they behave.

I would have sent the cleric a tell to join me and helped him through Death Undone and Portal opens 😇

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
On Sarlona, in my time slot of play, even zergers will get your stones, even if that means you dont get raised till the chest. I always appreciated that.
I will have to admit to going fairly fast (though not as fast as some, for sure). But even so, I don't leave people behind, either.

Mindos

CHAOTIC EVIL
We need a Team Effort mod for this game. Reward for all being alive (most of the time), being together (most of the time), etc. With a negative to boot: Burden of Friendship: You bear the heavy weight of your party fellows! For every minute you are out of sight you become 20 percent slower, etc...

Vish

heres my 2 bits
you were coattailing with the other players

leading a group is more than just having the star
esp when veterans are zerging
but im on sarlona, kinda the Beijing of our servers
but the players here are disciplined and good
we give and get, so people wait often for others to step in and finish

but to lead the group, as you did, you have to be able to check them
if you cant, then consider removing them
finding this out early is better than late as you discovered
also, as a leader, its good to be able to solo the content, at r1
this ensures you can carry any group in case of helping others out

otherwise, playing pick up,
you get what you get
its on the player to figure out the make up

also, people running pots are always in a hurry

so dont worry it
other people is hell

kil
sarlona

Falkor

The other week while running low heroics, this player had an auto-lfm up and I joined. This player said nothing, just zerged. I don't care too much, but his lack of even saying which quest was next was a little off-putting for me. I'd have to check his LFM panel to see where he had gone.

The other player in group was a returning player who knew where to go, but needed a simple inform like ... 'durks' ... to know what was next. And it still took him an extra minute to figure out where to go. But he was a good player and figured things out.

Started hanging out and waiting for him, and the 'elite zerger with the star' started just leaving both of us behind, the dude wouldn't even wait 10 seconds for us to get to quests.

Why even have a LFM up in the first place? I'll never group with that player again willingly.

The returning player is now on my friends list and we've grouped a few times.

What really bothered me was the total lack of respect or communication from the so-called 'leader', especially towards a returning player.

Can I assess the cause for that guys actions? Did he not speak english? Was he having a bad day? Maybe he doesn't have hands? Maybe he was really drunk? Maybe he really is just a jerk? I don't know, he wasn't even using an xp pot.

I don't know the why ... but the appearance of it was that he was a total jerk who didn't care at all. Basically he had an aura of total disregard and utter contempt.

That's a warm and welcoming environment, right?

What matters isn't how people like that play ... the world is full of idiots and jerks.

What matters is how I play .......... and I made a friend by waiting, being chill, and giving some basic directions. You know ... by being a decent human being and understanding what a returning player faces. Who cares about the jerks, just leave them.

Last edited: