Any Bets On What Classes Will Get Next Archetypes?

Zuldar

I'd like to see Mystic Theurge as a wizard archtype. Trade out EK for a support tree and get access to cure spells and maybe heal as part of the capstone for the Mystic Theurge tree.

ACJ97F

Updated: Yes, we know about the old forum links, some bookmarked posts are just gone. As stated earlier, and
also referred to in various Devs posts in May 2022, there were no plans to include Leg TR's with cap increases.

However, based on past plans, they have a habit of forgetting what they said before and changing everything. )

Last edited:

Palumtra

Definitely A Member
Removing the Savant trees would make sorc unplayable. Unless the the new trees also add some sort of immunity stripper. How often do you see wizard nukers? Never. They are either palemasters relying on insta-kills or EKs.

That said, some kind of "firebrand" archetype for sorc could be a lot of fun.
Nope. Sorc is overall the best DC caster in the game.
Sure, Savant can instakill a lot of stuff with it's huge burst damage too, but even with the lower amount of spells (and 3 day change cooldown unless you buy a pot from the store) the higher spell point pool, faster casting and significantly lower cooldown on their spells is just overall better. Obviously it's not the best for soloing as will have a tough time killing bosses/instakill immune enemies.
I'm not saying Wizards are bad tho, they are also cool and powerful and can be very flexible.

nym_craian

There are a few I would try (My exact ideas are too long for a post, so I'll provide a link.):

Last edited:

Tyrande

There are a few I would try (My exact ideas are too long for a post, so I'll provide a link.):

Hey, good work, nice pics, lots of work.

However, the wildmage is too unpredictable to my taste, however, that's too many spells in one level that is random with some like Wail of the Banshee that is centered on caster while some others are targeted on the target. (e.g. Thunderstroke)

Xgya

Small suggestion: Kensei is already a Fighter tree, and suited the weapon master archetype just fine.
However, there IS a monk-like class meant to be using weapons in obscure less-oft used sources: Sohei.

Might be just a naming thing, the class itself might inspire you to change what you granted the archetype.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
Personally I like the eldrich knight and pale tree's in combo, they're not useless at all. I wouldn't mind seeing some rogue stuff, hex blade or spell theif (which are rogue bits).
Besides they seem to have nerfed pale a bit in the last update. Neg absorb is now less than 200% and apparently I can be poisoned now. Who knows what else.
There are a lot of classes that still need and don't have any sort of special bit, they should focus on those before nerfing/breaking the ones in place.

Fulchrum

I'd really like to see Fighter get a Tempest tree, maybe something like Nitojutsu Samurai. And while I know that it doesn't exist in PnP, I've always wanted an archetype that can stay centered while in up to medium armor (mostly because that's how I personally see samurai as like a Fighter/Monk split.)

Desirdes

Personally I like the eldrich knight and pale tree's in combo, they're not useless at all. I wouldn't mind seeing some rogue stuff, hex blade or spell theif (which are rogue bits).
Besides they seem to have nerfed pale a bit in the last update. Neg absorb is now less than 200% and apparently I can be poisoned now. Who knows what else.
There are a lot of classes that still need and don't have any sort of special bit, they should focus on those before nerfing/breaking the ones in place.
Pale and EK are great it is just that Archmage is so bad, if wiz gets an archetype then Archmage needs reworked in the same update. I would just like the wiz archetype to replace pale because pale is the default wiz tree atm and need an excuse to have wiz (archetype at least) running around without it without feeling gimped. I just wanna play force wiz without it sucking (1d6 arcane blast for a t5 in 2023, why) ;-;

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
Pale and EK are great it is just that Archmage is so bad, if wiz gets an archetype then Archmage needs reworked in the same update. I would just like the wiz archetype to replace pale because pale is the default wiz tree atm and need an excuse to have wiz (archetype at least) running around without it without feeling gimped. I just wanna play force wiz without it sucking (1d6 arcane blast for a t5 in 2023, why) ;-;
Yeah, I keep looking at archmage and always leave it alone. It if gave universal spell power and crit it might be useful. . .I just can't seem to find anything I would find useful in that tree, ever.

I think the pathfinder class 'oracle' would be a good one for cleric and favored soul as a thing.
Spell thief for rogues, though how this would work in ddo with spell points might require a lot of thinking out of the box to put together, and a lot of time and effort.
Hex blade for rogues.
Soul knives (already partially done with the faywild illusionist) for fighters, rogues, and wizards. (Could just make it an int prereq instead of class, which would make more sense)
Dragon disciple? For sorcs and bards, should be easy enough. Or rather easier.
Honestly, there are loads and loads of classes to choose from for archtypes.
I wouldn't mind seeing your main base class level up too with epic or legendary levels (until it's 20), or pick one of your classes if multi to level in epic or legendary, until it's 20. This could add 1/2 the basic enhancement points (2 per level) and half the epic points (2 per level) to try and balance that out perhaps? I'm sure there could be a way to work it in as an option. But it would take a lot of effort and time, but would be hugely beneficial to players/character with out the need for additional legendary down the road.

nym_craian

Hi!

However, the wildmage is too unpredictable to my taste, however, that's too many spells in one level that is random with some like Wail of the Banshee that is centered on caster while some others are targeted on the target. (e.g. Thunderstroke)
His magic is indeed quite "chaotic", but I think this is the basis of the wild mage: it is unpredictable what he will conjure, and whether the resulting effect is useful in the given situation.
I took out a few features of wild magic, because I don't think it's possible - it's not worth it - to be included in the DDO system (supporting spells, possibility of self-destruction,...).

The list of permissible spells should still be defined, as I wrote:
"Of course, spells that are too special or strong, or it would simply be too difficult to build into the wild mage can also be removed from the lists.
This is chaos magic, maybe not adding arcane spells to the list."

Small suggestion: Kensei is already a Fighter tree, and suited the weapon master archetype just fine.
However, there IS a monk-like class meant to be using weapons in obscure less-oft used sources: Sohei.

Might be just a naming thing, the class itself might inspire you to change what you granted the archetype.

I always have trouble with naming, so I prefer to just use "working names" until I try to put something together.
(e.g. instead of "dance", I think "battle trance" would be better, but this concept is already used in the game)

At the moment, Fighter/Monk is the weapon monk that can be used, and I wanted to put together an alternative to this.

"Soul weapon" instead of raw weapon enhancement and "unique styles" instead of combat training and techniques.

The combination of trees is still in question. I don't think Ninja Spy and Shintao fit it.
That's why I added Kensei tree - which requires the spec. warrior feats - which in turn calls into question the existence of the entire archetype.
Maybe as pure monk version: https://sites.google.com/view/myddo/in-progress/weapon-dancer-v3

Last edited:

Mesmerin

To be fair, there is one good use case for archmage, thats the deepgnome wizard with the double PK sla's (21 points in archmage (illusion) and the one from the racial tree). Combine with feydark capstone and whatevers left thrown into the pm tree for some self heal. It can be a lot of fun, apart from that though theres really nothing else in the archmage tree worth going for.

nym_craian

I believe I've said this before on the old forums, but I think that the Alchemist should have been an Artificer archetype to begin with.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/854-artificer-101-a-beginners-guide-to-making-magical

The problem I see with any archetype for artificer is that quite a few of the options for the sub-classes is that some things are already in the 3 trees we currently have.

SSG would have to remake the trees, maybe.
I found one option: Mechanik (~creator/summoner) from 5E unearthed arcana. I named my version Master Creator.
(But it would need normal A.I for the servants to work. It would be best to have some behavior customization for Defender, Wolf, Skeletal Knight like Dragon Age teammates.)

Xgya

To be fair, there is one good use case for archmage, thats the deepgnome wizard with the double PK sla's (21 points in archmage (illusion) and the one from the racial tree). Combine with feydark capstone and whatevers left thrown into the pm tree for some self heal. It can be a lot of fun, apart from that though theres really nothing else in the archmage tree worth going for.
At lower levels, Archmage gives the very few source of damaging SLAs a Wizard can get access to, and those help run through quests a lot.
I'm mostly looking at that Magic Missile and Chain Missiles by going Evocation.
A lowbie Wizard that wants to kill things with spells HAS to use damage-dealing ones, Archmage has a few.