Crystal Cove has returned!

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
is there any changes to the items this time?
Doesn't look like it, no.

The weapons that do extra dice still only do +6d6 of extra damage. For example, Leg. Brigand's Cutlass does +6d6 of Chaos damage. If they had fixed it to scale properly, I believe it should do +7d6 of Chaos damage.

What's the deal with those invincible living meteor swarms on the ship in Smuggler's Rest? They were there off and on for hours when I was there. They can't be killed by most attacks. They don't even have a health bar, but if you attack them they'll deal 100+ points of damage on you. I saw them there last year a couple times, now they're there all day. They're very annoying.

Reactions: DBZ
I am skipping this boring event like do every year I play, I only do Mabar and then ignore every other event. Good luck folks, I just do not enjoy this event.

Dragnilar

Dragonborn of Bahamut
I am skipping this boring event like do every year I play, I only do Mabar and then ignore every other event. Good luck folks, I just do not enjoy this event.

Mabars my favorite as well.

I'm glad there are people who like Crystal Cove, but unfortunately, I don't care for it.

seph1roth5

Mabar is worth it because all the quests are great XP lol. CC...well, most of us have gotten everything we want long ago, and anything else takes a bunch of farming we don't want to bother with.

CBDunk

Yeah, it'd be nice if they added useful new stuff to the events more often. The Snowpeaks festival has done a pretty good job of that the past three years.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
There are definitely a few things I'm still working on picking up. Probably overkill this time, but yeah... next year I won't be as enthusiastic I suspect. :sneaky:

Oloriniel

I have a few questions/suggestions/requests:
1) is it possible to post a calendar so people know well in advance that this event (and others like it) are coming? I'd just TRed, so it was very difficult to find a group to run this with. I'm a new player, and I barely got enough components to get my 2nd rum flask upgrade. If I'd known ahead of time, I'd have lingered at level 30.

2) Why did the event run for such a short time this year? It looks like, according to the wiki, that it usually lasts an additional week.

3) Is it possible to add new rewards? This game has remarkable player longevity, so it seems most folks already have everything they want/need, which, again, stacks the deck against relative newbies being able to complete grinds that are intended for groups.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
I agree Crystal Cove is definitely one of those events where you need buddies to run the cove part. I bit the bullet and bought the Dread Admiral's Tricorne from the DDO store. That one is nice because it it bound to account vs. character (bound to character if bought through Euphonia) . It will help cut the amount of time you need collecting up doubloons by quite a bit.

Yes, I wish SSG would do a better job of promoting these events...
I got a bad start on it last year and really didn't get the time to really do it right. I made up for it a bit this year, but I'm fried on the event at this point.

Cordovan did mention that they are working on (or would like to work on...) updates for Crystal Cove. Night Revels sounds like it will have a minor update to it, and that is coming up! That one can be done more by yourself (for the most part... "Eternity Unleashed" is better as a group)

Night Revels should be coming up in early October (my guess the 4th.)
Mo info on special events: https://ddowiki.com/page/Special_events

And guide: https://www.ddo.com/guides/ddo-night-revels-guide

saekee

long live ROGUE
I have a few questions/suggestions/requests:
1) is it possible to post a calendar so people know well in advance that this event (and others like it) are coming? I'd just TRed, so it was very difficult to find a group to run this with. I'm a new player, and I barely got enough components to get my 2nd rum flask upgrade. If I'd known ahead of time, I'd have lingered at level 30.

2) Why did the event run for such a short time this year? It looks like, according to the wiki, that it usually lasts an additional week.

3) Is it possible to add new rewards? This game has remarkable player longevity, so it seems most folks already have everything they want/need, which, again, stacks the deck against relative newbies being able to complete grinds that are intended for groups.
I suggest you create a dedicated challenge runner. A toon that just runs challenges, has maxed gear for it, best level split and does not advance. There are builds on the old forums for it but maybe time for an update. Anyway you want Mikayle the Pious as his DDoors are permanent; a challenge runner should have extended Haste spell and ddoor too, burst DPS and fast run speed. Some of these things you can get from enhancement trees so play around for your best combo.

Livmo

I suggest you create a dedicated challenge runner. A toon that just runs challenges, has maxed gear for it, best level split and does not advance. There are builds on the old forums for it but maybe time for an update. Anyway you want Mikayle the Pious as his DDoors are permanent; a challenge runner should have extended Haste spell and ddoor too, burst DPS and fast run speed. Some of these things you can get from enhancement trees so play around for your best combo.
Great post!

I love me some challenge farmers. Variety is the spice of life. You can also get DDoor from Shadow Dancer. I like to run max CR for most mats.

CBDunk

The last two tiers of the flask are basically the same, except that the top tier cures more than three times as many HPs. That may sound significant, but since it is only once every 5 minutes it generally doesn't make much difference. For the past several years I've found the flask more useful for the occasional Restoration than actual healing.

Crystal Cove has a lot of gear which used to be very good. It was also the first really 'involved' festival with interesting things to do. Thus, it has a lot of nostalgia value for many players. However, the rewards have definitely gotten more than a bit outdated as the game has evolved. They've refreshed the rewards a few times, but they still don't really keep up with other options.