DDO debugging issues (as crowdsourced by many players advice)

rabidfox

The People's Champion
There is an issue where sometimes people don't see multiple DX versions in their drop down menu:
krE0f1r.jpeg

So if you only see DX11 or only see DX9 despite having hardware that supports newer versions then there's likely stuff going on. Often related to either missing DX9 library files, #10 with the adapter needing to be selected, or video driver stuff.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
What is the resolution set inside Windows. And what is the Scaling option chosen in windows?

J1NG
Scaling issues would be a good guess for their issue; they said they checked it but it would be good see what values they've got on everything.

Opyt

Depending on your setup, verify the GPU the game is using. For example I have a laptop that has both the iGPU (Intel as well as a Nvidia GPU.
originally the game only used the iGPU. What was strange is that selecting the GPU from the launcher did not see to do anything. I switched it in the Nvidia control panel and it work.

This may not be related, just wanted to mention it.
The launcher says it's using the right graphics card, but I don't know if they've checked the AMD control panel.

QuantumFX

Scaling issues would be a good guess for their issue; they said they checked it but it would be good see what values they've got on everything.
We checked the scaling checkboxes in the Properties>Compatibility Tab>Change high DPI Settings>Program DPI Checbox and High DPI scaling override. Perhaps we should have them turn it off in the Display settings?

The launcher says it's using the right graphics card, but I don't know if they've checked the AMD control panel.
We did. But I'm not sure where to find the options in the Adrenaline control panel.

Opyt

What is the resolution set inside Windows. And what is the Scaling option chosen in windows?

J1NG
Windows display is 1920x1080 on both monitors, and I'm not sure what you mean by the scaling option (scale and layout 100%).

rabidfox

The People's Champion
We checked the scaling checkboxes in the Properties>Compatibility Tab>Change high DPI Settings>Program DPI Checbox and High DPI scaling override. Perhaps we should have them turn it off in the Display settings?
If there's a GPU setting for scaling (in AMD specific sections), I'd turn that off. Also try this setting (if you haven't):
Turn the app & text scaling to 100% if isn't that value.

Opyt

If there's a GPU setting for scaling (in AMD specific sections), I'd turn that off. Also try this setting (if you haven't):
Turn the app & text scaling to 100% if isn't that value.
it's at 100%, and scaling in adrenaline is off.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
You might also want to pop onto the community discord and post your issue in the help section; it's where a lot of this list was originally compiled. It's possible someone there will have a suggestion that hasn't been come up with or has dealt with this issue themselves. https://discord.com/invite/ddo

Opyt

It look likes Malwarebytes may cause issues with the DDO launcher, as well.
It might be needed to undo all the exclusions then redo them to be able to get it to work.

Cheers,
Titus
We've disabled Malwarebytes and run the launcher, but we're running the free version, which doesn't have realtime protection.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
We've disabled Malwarebytes and run the launcher, but we're running the free version, which doesn't have realtime protection.
If you were running Malwarebytes when the launcher last did a patch, I wonder if something could've happened with that. You might try going into the launcher>drop down arrow>options>repair. I doubt it'll help, but running a repair couldn't hurt.

Opyt

DDO-wrapper didn't make a difference. Going to do a complete reinstall on the graphics card driver.

Opyt

I think I might have fixed it. I went into radeon's adrenaline and checked out scaling mode, the mode for the game was set for "use global default", and global default had been set to "preserve aspect ratio". Although nothing seemed to change when I changed the aspect ratio in the game, so they pull that from somewhere else, obviously. When I changed it to "full panel", the next time I opened the game I could see all the aspect ratios again. And they worked, too.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I think I might have fixed it. I went into radeon's adrenaline and checked out scaling mode, the mode for the game was set for "use global default", and global default had been set to "preserve aspect ratio". Although nothing seemed to change when I changed the aspect ratio in the game, so they pull that from somewhere else, obviously. When I changed it to "full panel", the next time I opened the game I could see all the aspect ratios again. And they worked, too.
Awesome. If things are working right now, could you do me a favor and grab a screenshot of the setting in radeon's adrenaline that you changed so I can add that to the list of fixes with an image of what people should check. You can host the image for free on imgur with no account required and post it here. Thx.

Opyt

BTmY7jY.png

rrqTzeh.png

To be clear, the menu here is open from Scaling Mode. (it looks to me like it could have been Integer Scaling, so I want to make certain people know).

rabidfox

The People's Champion
BTmY7jY.png

rrqTzeh.png

To be clear, the menu here is open from Scaling Mode. (it looks to me like it could have been Integer Scaling, so I want to make certain people know).
TY. You're now suggestion 24 in the list. Hopefully your unfortunate issue and hoops you jumped thru to fix it helps someone else it the future with a fast fix.

Opyt

TY. You're now suggestion 24 in the list. Hopefully your unfortunate issue and hoops you jumped thru to fix it helps someone else it the future with a fast fix.
Given the amount of time my husband and Quantom spent trying to fix this, and me fiddling after finding out what they'd played with and reading the discussions here, I do hope that it saves someone time and angst. I'm still not sure if it was the windows update that changed the settings, or the two year old who'd been watching paw patrol that morning, I'm just glad my man got his gaming computer to workable resolutions in time for raid night.