Downtime Notice: Wednesday, October 18th 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT)

Volarr

Expired ingredients are unsaleable now. Thank you, I have made a few mistakes buying them in the past

Qeistalan

I hope you guys and gals know they will ban your accounts for life if caught exploiting the game. Our guild lost three players a few years back from the duping scams they were doing.
I bought what I intended from Night Revels, and my compatriots didn't need any of my extras ... so I sold Spectral Dragon scales last night on SE, for pennies on the shard ... and IT WAS NOT AN EXPLOIT.

I have never duped, nor would I - even if I knew how (which I do not). I have been a card-carrying DDO Whale since 2014. 🐳

It's called "Gitting Guud": Learn it, Know It, bring your own heals, and be in a useful Destiny.

Here endeth the lesson.

Volarr

I bought what I intended from Night Revels, and my compatriots didn't need any of my extras ... so I sold Spectral Dragon scales last night on SE, for pennies on the shard ... and IT WAS NOT AN EXPLOIT.

I have never duped, nor would I - even if I knew how (which I do not). I have been a card-carrying DDO Whale since 2014. 🐳

It's called "Gitting Guud": Learn it, Know It, bring your own heals, and be in a useful Destiny.

Here endeth the lesson.
I was just stating facts i would hate to work on my chars for years and lose them. selling your scales while they are unbound is not a banable offence imo

Bowserkoopa

King of the Koopa's
New in update 65: All loot is bound items cannot be passed or sold or bankable and you are now limited to 5 characters period forever (or until we figure out how to better monetize character slots by adding fees to your sub or charging astral shards per day)

Volarr

Bound to account is fine with me. I don't care for bound to character for it make many usable items unusable.

Qeistalan

I was just stating facts i would hate to work on my chars for years and lose them. selling your scales while they are unbound is not a banable offence imo
My ire about "not an exploit" was directed at The Devs, not you, Volarr.

This whole "exploit witch hunt" started with closing Haunted Halls because (I suspect) players were using Draughts of Midnight and farming NR keys instead of running the key-farming quest.

So, someone found a better recipe to bake a cake in DDO, and you (SSG) didn't like that it was within the game parameters?

That's the equivalent of a DM in pen&paper having a prepared gameplan, but the players (aka "those meddling kids") circumvent said gameplan ... then the DM punishes creative gameplay instead of reward it. That's a petty DM.

I'm sure my whole take on this is incorrect ...

Volarr

This whole "exploit witch hunt" started with closing Haunted Halls because (I suspect) players were using Draughts of Midnight and farming NR keys instead of running the key-farming quest.

So, someone found a better recipe to bake a cake in DDO, and you (SSG) didn't like that it was within the game parameters?

That's the equivalent of a DM in pen&paper having a prepared gameplan, but the players (aka "those meddling kids") circumvent said gameplan ... then the DM punishes creative gameplay instead of reward it. That's a petty DM.

I agree they give us the tools expecting said results (what they want the tools used for) and we take the tools and build much more than they ever dreamed about. The problem for them is control. And they forget it is not just not their world it is ours.

Kipp

Its more like if a DM wrote down a quest reward and and forgot to add a decimal point, so you ended up with 100 times the reward meant. While sure, as a player you could demand that the reward be honoured and mess up balance by just buying everything you wanted right there and then, its probably better for the overall game to just accept it was a mistake and move on. Farming the zombies for keys clearly wasn't intended but I wouldn't call it an exploit either, more an unseen situation that they should fix. Ultimately they have a responsibility to the health of the game that extends beyond you just getting everything you want instantly. The dragon thing was definitely an exploit, there really is no defending that one.

Edit: The main difference in this situations in that in your analogy, the DM has no real vested interest in the balance of the game. Ultimately their goal is to make an enjoyable experience for all. In an MMO, there is a wider responsibility towards balance and keeping the field fair to all. There is knowing things that give you an advantage and exploiting unintended bugs to your advantage. I could see a flimsy defense of farming the zombies being "Well i didnt know it wasn't intended!" but that isnt the case for the scales, it was obvious by the method that it was unintended and took deliberate steps to do.

The bigger issue for me here is that yet again players knowingly exploit bugs and nothing is done, thus giving the impression that its all fine to do. If they were more strict on punishment like others games, most people would think twice about using any bugs to their advantage, but all DDO ever does is fix the issue and ignore the people that abused it.

CBDunk

This is the problem with 'any reference to anything that could possibly be construed as talking about an exploit will result in immediate banning'... nobody knows what is and is not considered an 'exploit'... and you aren't allowed to talk about it.

Once the 'exploit' is removed / prevented they should just spell out what it was so everyone gets a better idea of what is and is not allowed.

Kipp

This is the problem with 'any reference to anything that could possibly be construed as talking about an exploit will result in immediate banning'... nobody knows what is and is not considered an 'exploit'... and you aren't allowed to talk about it.

Once the 'exploit' is removed / prevented they should just spell out what it was so everyone gets a better idea of what is and is not allowed.

I mean you can use common sense. Pulling a lever to exponentially increase your reward was *obviously* an exploit, given that the rules of the quests are rather straight forward. I could imagine someone doing it a few times and not realising but you can't really use that exploit. Its more about the result than the method, if something ends up being hundreds or thousands of times better than the intended way, its obvious its exploiting a bug to do so. It's like duping, we know the outcome is wrong so the method does not matter if it results in an duplicated item.

Qeistalan

Its more like if a DM wrote down a quest reward and and forgot to add a decimal point, so you ended up with 100 times the reward meant. While sure, as a player you could demand that the reward be honoured and mess up balance by just buying everything you wanted right there and then, its probably better for the overall game to just accept it was a mistake and move on. Farming the zombies for keys clearly wasn't intended but I wouldn't call it an exploit either, more an unseen situation that they should fix. Ultimately they have a responsibility to the health of the game that extends beyond you just getting everything you want instantly. The dragon thing was definitely an exploit, there really is no defending that one.

Edit: The main difference in this situations in that in your analogy, the DM has no real vested interest in the balance of the game. Ultimately their goal is to make an enjoyable experience for all. In an MMO, there is a wider responsibility towards balance and keeping the field fair to all. There is knowing things that give you an advantage and exploiting unintended bugs to your advantage. I could see a flimsy defense of farming the zombies being "Well i didnt know it wasn't intended!" but that isnt the case for the scales, it was obvious by the method that it was unintended and took deliberate steps to do.

The bigger issue for me here is that yet again players knowingly exploit bugs and nothing is done, thus giving the impression that its all fine to do. If they were more strict on punishment like others games, most people would think twice about using any bugs to their advantage, but all DDO ever does is fix the issue and ignore the people that abused it.
I have no idea what the exact exploit was for Eternity Unleashed, nor am I defending exploits. Cheaters suck, and I place SSG in that boat as well.
My point is: Instead of using a scalpel to "cut out the problem" of exploiters, SSG (usually) uses a broadsword to the detriment of all DDO'ers.

Kasanje

YouTube Creator
I just logged in and walked around a bit. Very choppy and then the app closed and said the server stopped.

I was able to log back in, but everything looks broken. The stuff isn't animating properly, can't move between zones, and all of my gear is invisible.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Pulling a lever to exponentially increase your reward
Skinner would be proud.

ssn0PiB.jpg