DPS Too High: Was it my fault?

Was it all my fault?

• Yes. Get more (-)threat gen gear.

• Yes. You suck and you should feel bad !

• Yes. It's your job to adjust your DPS to the tank.

• No. THF FrenBerk DPS should never be able to pull off a proper tank.

• No. They are wrong!

• No. Pulling off the tank through shear DPS Mastery is a sign of genius and a 10 inch penor.

• Bro. It's over. Delete game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sarlona Raiding

Core 5 Sacred Defender doesn’t turn off. The AC boost is great. Don’t want or need Shadowdancer. What you pitched is an option but it is detrimental to the rest of the build. Too many trade-offs just give me a toggle to turn off the threat.

Making the threat optional is great, but I think the design is intentional or every fighter is going to be in defensive stance. Assuming SSG doesn't do that you need to own the problem and fix it.

Raiding is a team effort. There are options to mitigate the threat, but if you don't want to do that I would suggest making an alt for raiding and buying items with runes on the character with defense stance.

2 threat filigrees are not detrimental to the build. 20% augment is not detrimental to the build. Others are already doing this and more to make sure they don't pull agro. If you turn off defense stance and do these two things alone you are at -70% threat even with the level 18 defender core. There is never an excuse to pull agro from the tank.

If you pull agro and dps has to jump back - or even worse get killed - it's way worse for the whole party than the small benefit you lose by turning defensive stance off. It needs to be evaluated from the perspective of the whole party and not you individually. It's a 12-person raid.

Last edited:

erethizon1

This is the obvious choice. But then I have to peel off DPS to fit said threat reduction items.
Best bet is to carry threat reduction items and only put them on after you are pulling unwanted aggro. You are going to have to cut your DPS anyway to limit pulling aggro again, so you may as well change your clothes mid-fight to help. Overall, you will probably do more damage in these kinds of fights with threat reduction gear on than you would by pulling punches to manage aggro or being a soul stone.

Guntango

If you pull agro off a tank, you're bad dps; the heaviest hitters in the game don't pull. I was bad yesterday, then I slotted diversion and now I'm maximum dps again.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
If you pull agro off a tank, you're bad dps; the heaviest hitters in the game don't pull. I was bad yesterday, then I slotted diversion and now I'm maximum dps again.

sharktank-mark-cuban.gif

SpartanKiller13

Story time. last night I was running FoM. OMG.

I was constantly pulling from the tank, like to the point it was getting half the party killed.

Sure, I don't have too much (-)threat gear but thought my DPS was under control.. was using THF, not the ideal for DPS.

But.. I kept pulling. Don't think it was the tank's fault, looked pro. They wouldn't even raise me.
Some raids you can pull the boss and it's ok, FoM is not one of those. If you're going to pull, stand nearby the tank in like a Y shape, with you and the tank at the top and the party at the bottom. That way the tank can keep aggro most of the time, but if the boss turns only you get smashed and not the rest of the party.

If you're in my raid and intentionally getting half the party killed I wouldn't rez you either lol. Drop your stone at the shrine that appears at the end of the raid.

Quick math time: assuming the tank has 120 Intimidate (fairly reasonable), whenever they hit the button they generate 24k of Hate. With a 6s CD on Intimidate, that's effectively 4k DPS. That's a small number.

If you have -50% threat reduction, you only need to have >8k DPS to pull off that tank. Shield throw will cover a lot of the remainder, but that's an pretty low bar to pass if you're on an endgame build.

If you Adrenaline + Boulder's Might for 200k (with -50% threat), they would have to have stacked 5 uses of Intimidate beforehand to keep aggro. Sure, if you hit during shield throw or they mash Intim right after they can grab again - but you just pulled lol.
This is the obvious choice. But then I have to peel off DPS to fit said threat reduction items.
~No. Shadowdancer gives -30%, Essence of the Occultation gives -20%, and Treachery Filigree gives -50% which means your only hate is coming from non-reduced stuff like imbues.
Is -100% equal ZERO threat generated? Will I ever have to worry about pulling at -100% threat?
If you have lots of imbues (like EK builds) or other proc damage you can pull at -100%, but as like a Barb or Pally or something with -100% threat you won't pull.

It's really good. That's why everyone is telling you to get more -threat, it's pretty easy for melees and helps everyone a lot.

Vox

Tanking is fun, it's a nice challenge to try to manage aggro when you're working with unknowns like pug raids.

If someone pulls and dies, that's their journey to learn.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Two -50% filigrees will get you to -100%, which is pretty easy to do for an opportunity cost of 5MP, assuming you'll have one such filigree loaded for -50% anyway and are probably running another Treachery 5MP for that and the 2-Treachery set bonus anyway.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
Just an aside.

What if after 3 or 4 or 6 solid tumbles. You can still tumble but you get like a 3 second delay between tumbles. Until the cooldown disappears and then you can tumble seamlessly again.

Also, get rid of the pips.

Elkarah

Tanking is fun, it's a nice challenge to try to manage aggro when you're working with unknowns like pug raids.

If someone pulls and dies, that's their journey to learn.
and tanking is indeed more difficult than ppl would imagine...

Xgya

If you were the only one pulling from the tank, then a problem is you.
If others were also pulling from the tank, then the tank needs more threat generation instead.

songswrath

and tanking is indeed more difficult than ppl would imagine...
this one 100% ppl don't know till they try. so if your out here calling out tanks cuase you can't do your part (have - hate gen gear it not that hard too) you can easy get -80% with out gimping any build. have fun joining raid groups. two types player you want to be nice too all the time. players that tank and players play healers. both seem like they are super easy lol try it they are both the hardest roles to fill