Fire Over Morgrave Raid Loot Binding Status

Ying

5000+ hours played
I agree that DDO inventory management is painful in all aspects: The limited amount, the cost/bundling of additional space, the lack of attention by Severlin. Players have been complaining about inventory and the TR cache for years. I loathe every aspect of the TR cache. SSG has demonstrated what they're willing to do about it, with the two costly 20-slot bank inventory spaces offered previously (and infrequently). If SSG was going to do an overhaul of it's inventory system, they would have done it already. Pleading for ad hoc changes in this thread is a stop-gap, at best. You'd have better luck petitioning SSG for a new premium subscription server where all gear is BtA and/or tradable. At least that has a proven ROI.

Lazuli

Well, I don't agree, Ying. Historically, achievements have been achieved by complaining, trying, and demanding changes. That happens at all levels of life, and it also happens in this game.

SSG does not want to make changes, yes. It is more comfortable and way easier for them to do nothing. But they will if it costs them customers. In the end, money rules.

Lazuli

There is a solution to your problems…
I'm trying to get the right solution-- get SSG to do something about the state of the storage and the excess btc items.

The other solution is to leave the game and never spend a cent on it again. Well, previous anger has actually cost SSG entire months of my subscription and my leaving to play other games. I like DDO, I don't deny it. But when I reach my saturation point, it will be goodbye.

Ying

5000+ hours played
To me DDO holds a key Stoicism lesson: You can't control other people's behavior. You can only control your reaction to their behavior. Just like life, I don't complain about the system. I find a way to leverage it; I work with what I've got. If I don't like what DDO has to offer, then I'll move on to other games as I've done in the past. Yet here we are.

Lazuli

It's fair, Ying. But others of us have other points of view. We prefer to get changes when there are things that make us uncomfortable or directly disgust us.

And no possibility of changes if SSG is not aware of what its consumers feel.

Guntango

I'm trying to get the right solution-- get SSG to do something about the state of the storage and the excess btc items.

The other solution is to leave the game and never spend a cent on it again. Well, previous anger has actually cost SSG entire months of my subscription and my leaving to play other games. I like DDO, I don't deny it. But when I reach my saturation point, it will be goodbye.
I guess there might be other solutions besides changing the system or leaving.

Because of the limited space, I wound up choosing build options for each alt that I play; one melee dps, one tank, one caster/healer, one ranged. I keep the bound gear suited for those characters on those toons or wish it over.

Also, purge the garbage. Yes, maybe someday in 2030 it might become useful again, but keeping the chattering ring (and thirty equally useless bound items) in your cache only to move them back and forth from cache to backpack until then seems like a waste of space and energy.

Let go of stuff you’re not using today or tomorrow, if you need it next week, go get it again.

Last edited:

Ying

5000+ hours played
If SSG really wants to know the preferences of the playerbase, it's as simple as running a poll like they did for future content a few months ago.

Lazuli

@Gutango: I have alts, as you well know, and I also tried to have them linked to certain playstyles. But the alts are getting worse every day. SSG creates new grinds (new past lives, new systems like more sentient xp, reaper fragments, etc) faster than I can update my alts. And honestly, the effectiveness of a not developed alt leaves a lot to be desired for my tastes. So in the end, they are two characters that I can really play as I like. And that means changing styles when I get bored.

My time to play is limited, Gutango. If SSG wants to bury the alts under a mountain of grind, I'm not going to pay for it. If SSG doesn't want to solve the storage problem, sooner or later I will end up looking for options that cause me less boredom than spending an hour emptying the TR cache. Unfortunately for SSG, my last breaks have allowed me to discover alternatives. And how many people have already surpassed that saturation point, or will be about to achieve it?

When something is wrong, one cannot remain passive and suffer it. SSG should do something to make their game have a minimum quality of life.

Lazuli

If SSG really wants to know the preferences of the playerbase, it's as simple as running a poll like they did for future content a few months ago.
Many of us think that SSG devs live locked in their ivory tower, due to the decisions they make and the way they are amazed when they are not received by the community as they expect. It really seems like they have no idea what their customers want.

But sometimes we reach them through our requests. And if they want to prove that it is not true that they live in their ivory tower, they only need face the problems that concern us players the most. Of which storage is one of the most important.

I'm just saying one thing: keeping quiet is a sure way to not get changes. Expressing our dissatisfaction may or may not achieve changes, but there is already a possibility.

Ying

5000+ hours played
If you're suffering when you play DDO, it's a choice. I highly recommend reading Viktor Frankl for some perspective.

Lazuli

It is a choice to play this game or not. In the end, it will be my choice. But really the state of the storage is costing customers and therefore money to SSG. SSG should not stick its head in the sand like a scared ostrich.

But practicing stoicism with a hobby? No, thanks. This is a hobby. I pay for it. I hope to get fun, not lessons in stoicism. If they want me to practice stoicism, SSG can start paying me instead of the other way around.

The business must adapt to customers. If a business expects its customers to adapt to it, theis owners should not be surprised if their clients seek greener pastures. Do you know how many new ones I have brought to this game, and who have run away as soon as they saw the state of the game? DDO has a very difficult time retaining new players. It shouldn't scare veterans too.

Ying

5000+ hours played
Philosophy, an operating system for life, isn't something to cast off when it's inconvenient. Philosophy offers not only a way to fortify yourself against the hardships of life, but to thrive. Stoicism is a practical guide to applying wisdom to your daily choices, focused on living as a rational being. The DDO community could benefit from more of that.

Guntango

Many of us think that SSG devs live locked in their ivory tower, due to the decisions they make and the way they are amazed when they are not received by the community as they expect. It really seems like they have no idea what their customers want.

But sometimes we reach them through our requests. And if they want to prove that it is not true that they live in their ivory tower, they only need face the problems that concern us players the most. Of which storage is one of the most important.

I'm just saying one thing: keeping quiet is a sure way to not get changes. Expressing our dissatisfaction may or may not achieve changes, but there is already a possibility.
Space was far worse in Diablo IV…not all games provide endless storage options. Since DDO is a game of making incremental decisions, maybe you could play this game by making choices and play others when you don’t want to. /shrug

I had a friend go through my cache once; they were much less attached to the gear that I had accumulated than I was. I was left with way more space than I could use. You should try it.

Lazuli

I'm not asking for infinite space, but rather a space appropriate to the amount of loot they take out. And if they don't want to increase the space, they should change the ease with which the loot is obtained. My precious free time is not there to dedicate to refarm loot with the current frustrating system.

And yes, it's my decision. How is it my decision to invest or not in this game. SSG like every business wants to make money. SSG should target a broad audience and not just the few customers who are happy to receive a lesson in stoicism.

In any case, I don't know how it affects you that there are people demanding changes, if you are happy with leaving things as they are and continuing to practice stoicism.

Ying himself has admitted that he doesn't like the game's storage state, and that in fact he loathes the TR cache. Well, if we achieve something with our requests, it will benefit you too. If not, you will not be worse than now.

Ying

5000+ hours played
I loathe the TR system. But I also have zero confidence that SSG can revamp it without completely crippling characters like they have in the past. Given the two choices, I'll live with the known crappy system rather than find myself in support/TR purgatory for weeks as before.

festasha

I agree @Lazuli if we don't speak up then how will SSG know what the player base wants. I do feel disheartened by the lack of response though, some acknowledgment would go a long way, even if we don't get the answer we are looking for.

Lazuli

I understand your fears, Ying, but in this sense I prefer to give them a vote of confidence. Sometimes they have screwed things up, but not irreversibly. And if they want to fix things like deleting the TR cache, we can help them by emptying it before the update. In principle, removing the TR cache should not affect the characters' stats, only the items.

The changes, one by one. Eliminating, or at least simplifying the TR cache by reducing the number of btc items, will be a very positive change.

And of course, changing a bunch of items from a state of btc to bta should not cause any global cataclysm.

Gordo

Wishes of Inheritance allow players to change BTC to BTC (on another character). Why give that to players (make loot BTA) when they can charge you for it?