How do you gear your PM?

Timmius

I'm interested to hear how you fellow PMs gear your endgame toons. So far, it seems to me that the best gear is still Feywild. I have the winter and fall bonuses with 7/4 pieces I believe. A lot off the items have some good necro stuff life the pendent and the gauntlets. Just curious how others go about it. I linked everything I'm wearing below.

Legendary Robe of the Autumn Winds
Legendary Green Dragonscale Bracers
Legendary Ring of Fall's Decay
Faedark Faerielights
Legendary Cloak of Autumn
Legendary Ring of Winter's Chill
Bottled Rainstorm
Pendant of Bottled Moonlight
Legendary Hallowsphere
Legendary Deepsnow Boots
The Prince's Gauntlet
Legendary Direbear Belt
Legendary Paramnesial Lenses

Kalibano

Build Designer & Fun Lover since 2006!
I'm interested to hear how you fellow PMs gear your endgame toons. So far, it seems to me that the best gear is still Feywild. I have the winter and fall bonuses with 7/4 pieces I believe. A lot off the items have some good necro stuff life the pendent and the gauntlets. Just curious how others go about it. I linked everything I'm wearing below.

Legendary Robe of the Autumn Winds
Legendary Green Dragonscale Bracers
Legendary Ring of Fall's Decay
Faedark Faerielights
Legendary Cloak of Autumn
Legendary Ring of Winter's Chill
Bottled Rainstorm
Pendant of Bottled Moonlight
Legendary Hallowsphere
Legendary Deepsnow Boots
The Prince's Gauntlet
Legendary Direbear Belt
Legendary Paramnesial Lenses

Hey there,

Mine focuses on insta-kills (Illusion & Necromancy), CC and negative spell power. I share my endgame gear near the end of the main post.
Nothing 'meta' in any of my builds, so if it interests you, feel free to browse!

Hope you find it useful :)

Timmius

Hey there,

Mine focuses on insta-kills (Illusion & Necromancy), CC and negative spell power. I share my endgame gear near the end of the main post.
Nothing 'meta' in any of my builds, so if it interests you, feel free to browse!

Hope you find it useful :)
wow thanks that's a really thorough post! i'll will study that for sure.

Lazuli

I haven't found the desire to run with Vecna, so mine continues with the setup I did with IoD.

IoD weapons is a no brainer, really. It allows you to keep the +2 excep int of LGS weapons (and add +2 excep con if you want), and have leg affirmation, Leg ash, vulnerability, etc. on the gear. A weapon with sentience that you don't want to swap, and the one on the left hand to swap.

I continue with the sharn set, Esoteric. Actually the alternatives that have come after still do not surpass it.

I continue with 4 feywild items because that 10% to my hps is important. I solo (or with only one player more) a lot of high reaper, and that helps my survival a lot. I was planning to change these items and use the new augment set that gives me this bonus, but seeing that myth drannor is so close, it's not worth re-gearing now. My PM works fine and with myth drannor I will have to change everything.

I use spell DC +6 augments and spell mastery 5, and from spellpowers I favour negative, force and cold. For the rest I use augments, or potency & spell lore. That's why spinneret is still non-negotiable for my build, even though it should be obsolete at this point. The devs have completely forgotten to spell lore on the gear. Spinnet gives quality spell mastery too. I also use the insighful crit augment from Hunt raid. Gianhold DC augments too.

I also use two LGS items, whose set gives me a bonus to % of my spell points. Individually, one increases my crit damage with negative and the other gives me a huge bonus to all int based skills and more spell points.

As a whole, the gear is leaning towards DC gearing, but trying to keep all defensive stats at reasonable values and trying to get decent magic damage. That's why I don't have maxed DCs, because if I did it I would be unable to play the way I play now. My PM is good in groups and is good soloing. In fact I solo high reaper, something that a PM 100% focused on DC is not capable of doing.

Of course I have profane and sacred spell DC, and insightful spell mastery. Insightful spell mastery is the tradeoff I did for more spell damage. I have it only +2 (but I have max necro DC tho).

My filigrees are 100% spell DC, with a mix of int filigrees and set DC filigrees. I use all the raid int filigrees, double down in artifact and weapon. My artifact is IoD.

So, your ideal gear will depend on your gaming expectations. Mine is not ideal and I was planning to change it, but I refuse to change it seeing myth drannor so close. It works fine, so it's not a necessity either. Look at what you need depending on how you play, because there is no single ideal gear for all PMs. If you are happy needing a party, you don’t need all spell damage I have.

I don't see so many feywild items as optimal, they leave out many stats that *I* (not an universal truth) consider important, but if it works for you, great.

Last edited:

Mesmerin

That's why spinneret is still non-negotiable for my build, even though it should be obsolete at this point. The devs have completely forgotten to spell lore on the gear. Spinnet gives quality spell mastery too. I also use the insighful crit increase from Hunt raid. Gianhold Dc augments too.
Spinneret is still such a great ring. If I ever pull an M3 one i'll be sticking +1DC from the reaper forge on it.
A lot of the slave lords gear is really well done with regards to that stats you get on the different pieces and the craftable parts are a very useful way to get a +3 quality stat and 20% spell lore

Hobgoblin

I would consider dread. Just from the non-rade stuff, you can go with the deacon set if I remember right. That gives you plus 14 to your Constitution, 14 to your intelligence, two profane DC, and you also get six insightful intelligence. And then you also get the set bonuses as well

Lazuli

You should try PM again. It's a freaking blast since the Archmage pass.
In reality the change has been minimal, it has only allowed us to take more reductions in the cost of metamagic. Those of us who used the tree before the pass knew well that people were being irrational by discarding it because it was "useless." Archmage still has problems that have not been solved, but it has never been useless as people said.

Br4d

In reality the change has been minimal, it has only allowed us to take more reductions in the cost of metamagic. Those of us who used the tree before the pass knew well that people were being irrational by discarding it because it was "useless." Archmage still has problems that have not been solved, but it has never been useless as people said.

The additional Maximize reductions are the big deal. Once you get up to cap Maximized and Heightened Evo spells are very doable in rotation to clear stuff. That alongside the natural Necro SLA's and Max'd and Heightened spells make a PM a scary beast at this point.

Lazuli

The additional Maximize reductions are the big deal. Once you get up to cap Maximized and Heightened Evo spells are very doable in rotation to clear stuff. That alongside the natural Necro SLA's and Max'd and Heightened spells make a PM a scary beast at this point.
I'm afraid the scary beast thing is not realistic, it's more or less the same as before. At epic levels, I have always had all my metamagics turned on; for many years it has been impossible to play in epics (efficiently) without heighten and maximize on. In heroics, I still have to watch my spells points when using metamagic.

It's pretty much the same as before. Now your spell points last a little longer, but it is not decisive in the character's efficiency. What happens is that now suddenly people have discovered the Archmage tree that everyone previously said was unviable.

Br4d

The big thing is that a PM/AM is not a glass cannon the way an AM used to be. Combine that with the increased damage from actual spells as opposed to SLA's and things get really interesting.

Obviously there are better spells to Maximize now than there used to be with all the new elemental spells released in the last few years. It's a lot of fun to insta-kill reapers with elemental damage now that the spells support that.

Timmius

I haven't found the desire to run with Vecna, so mine continues with the setup I did with IoD.

IoD weapons is a no brainer, really. It allows you to keep the +2 excep int of LGS weapons (and add +2 excep con if you want), and have leg affirmation, Leg ash, vulnerability, etc. on the gear. A weapon with sentience that you don't want to swap, and the one on the left hand to swap.
agreed. i have a bone scepter maxxed out to 210k sentient xp, 10 filligress with the int added

EinarMal

This is my setup, I like to have some damage because I solo a lot. It also makes it more raid useful as I can heal with sonic and do at least some DPS on bosses, with pretty much no sacrifice of DC.

Deep Gnome

HP: ~2600
SP: ~5500

Spell Power ~800 No Meta
Critical 40-50%
Critical Damage 40-100 (Sonic is 100%, Acid 80%)

AOE - I use Greater Shout, Shout, Acid Well, Arcane Tempest, Chain Lightning, Outlike, Prismatic Spray, Ball Lightning
Single Target Boss Rotation- Shard Storm, Iceberg, Thunderstorke, Carrion Swarn, Arcane Tempest, Acid Well, Polar Ray, CL, Outlike

CC: Greater Color Spray, Mass Hold, Web, Glacial Wraith

Of course, lots of PK, FoD, Trap the Soul, Wail, Cut the Strings, Circle of Death, Prismatic Spray

I run in the Primal mantle using poison from carrion swarm, acid, and arcane tempest to proc the mantle.

I have GMoF with Elders, Walking Ancestors, and the 5pc Dread Isle.

Dino Helmet (20/10/5 Acid,+2 Sacred, Walking)
Legendary Dusk Lenses
Dino Armor (Voidscale, Voidfang, +5 Force, Resistance, Walking)
Legendary Kopru Bracers (+20 Sonic)
Legendary Signet Ring of the Earth (+5 Cold)
Bound Elemental Ring of Frost
Osfield's Lightning Boots
Dino Gloves Artifact (Int +15, 10/5 Sonic Critical Damage, Ghostly, Dread Isle)
Legendary Walking Ancestor's Shroud
Legendary Black Satin Waist
Epic Gem of Many Facets Elders (Acid Lore, Lore, Ins. Intelligence)
Elder's Focus Necklace
Attuned Dino Staff (Shadowscale, Meltfang, Brightclaw, Flamehorn, Dread Isle)

Augments
Topaz of Enchantment Power
Topaz of Conjuration Power
Topaz of Evocation Power
Topaz of Greater Enchantment
Topaz of Greater Necromancy
Topaz of Greater Illusion
Topaz of Greater Conjuration
Topaz of Greater Evocation
Saphire of Heavy Fortification
Saphire of Defense
Saphire of False Life
Saphire of Dodge
Saphire of Negative Amp
Diamond of Spellcraft
Diamond of Perform
Diamond of Constitution
Diamond of Insightful Constitution
Festive Int
Festive Con
Globe of Imperial Blood
Legendary Moments
Ruby of Nullification
Ruby of Devotion

Enhancements PM (98)
PM 41
Racial 16
Feydark 26
Falconry 8
Harper 7

Epic Destiny DC (75)
Fatesinger 35
Primal 27
Magus 13

Reaper Int: 120

DCs (No Boost):
Necro: 131
Illusion: 132
Enchant: 129
Conjuration: 123
Evocation: 122

Feats: (7 + 5WB)
1-Quicken
1-(WB) Maximize
3-Arcane Initiate
5-(WB) Empower
6-Extend
9-SF Conjuration
10-(WB) SF Illusion
12-Insightful Reflexes
15-(WB) SF Necromancy
15-GSF Necromancy
18-GSF Illusion
20-(WB) Heighten
21-Epic SF Necromancy
22-Epic Spellpower Acid
24-Embolden
25-Epic Spell Power Sonic
27-Master of Music
28-Epic Spell Power Electric
30-Scion of Feywild
30-Burst of Glaical Wraith
31-Spell Specialty Enchantment

I do not have reaper stats on the helm or rings, that would be +3 more DC if you have the frags to burn.

Last edited:

Fisto Mk I

add +2 excep con if you want
Why anyone must want +2 exceptional CON when can get +2 Alchemical INT and +6 Necro DC from LAC? 8)

I continue with the sharn set, Esoteric. Actually the alternatives that have come after still do not surpass it.

Very arguable. Both Masterful Magewright and Legendary Wrath/Perfect Wrath or even Legendary Saltmarsh is better because don't waste precious armor slot.

I also use two LGS items, whose set gives me a bonus to % of my spell points.
I'm still use Ender set at one my PM... and i'm not amazed. Yea, instakill and crit damage and +18% to HP... but LGS obsolete so gravely that any other appropriate gear just better.

Lazuli

Why anyone must want +2 exceptional CON when can get +2 Alchemical INT and +6 Necro DC from LAC? 8)
Because alchemical items have become obsolete for most builds. If you're looking for a shield, ok, alchemical might not be bad. But a +2 int alch is not a big deal. If you want DC, you can make an IoD staff that gives you a unique +2 DC and in which you can put legendary affirmation, which is a lifesaver in high reaper. Or if you want to carry two weapons, like I do, it allows you to switch between legendary affirmation and various debuffs that are really useful in high difficulty and raids, and next to which a +1 to the DC is... nothing.

Do u want +6 necro? Use an augment. IoD items (weapons too) have 2 augment slots.

There are people who are obsessed with getting the highest DC possible. My standard is: is my DC enough to kill the mobs? If the answer is yes, the rest is overkill and is better used in spell dps.

Very arguable. Both Masterful Magewright and Legendary Wrath/Perfect Wrath or even Legendary Saltmarsh is better because don't waste precious armor slot.
Let's see, I think you haven't read me. There is no perfect set, but it depends on how you play your character. Masterwright is a fine set if your PM is just DC focused, but if your PM is an all-round wizard like mine is, completely self-sufficient on all difficulties, it falls very short. It has 0 spell damage bonuses, for one item more esoteric give me more useful stats. The best robe for me (for my build, not for all wizards) is the esoteric one. None of them give me what that one does (it has hidden more exceptional spellpower than the description), so I don't care if it blocks my armor slot.

Now Magewright is not an exceptional set either. It's only 2 items, but the cloak is now a coveted slot. It gives +6 school dc to enchantment and illusion, but now there are augments that give you that. And one of the items waste two stats in Cha, which as a wizard does not give me any benefit.

In short, it is an ok set but not exceptional for all-DC wizard (it was very good before IoD, because then there were no spell DC augments and no competitive cloaks). For a wizard who is mostly DC but with a dps that allows solo any quest in any difficult, it is not the best choice. That doesn't mean your choice is bad, DDO doesn't have a single perfect set. If it allows you to play how you want to play, it is the right choice for you.

I have a set in the bank. And thousands of runes in the bank with which I could buy it back. It's not useful to me.

Legendary saltmarsh is literally legendary garbage for me. We already talked about this in another topic and I told you why.

Legendary wrath is worse. Look at the items, how many useful enchantments you receive in total. Do you really want to waste 3 items like that? Legendary Night Hag's Heartstone would be a cool item if it weren't an artifact. Being an artifact, it has to compete with IoD artifacts, which give you +15 to int. There are tastes for everyone, but do you really find it more useful than an dread or esoteric set, or the Sharn Docks set?

I'm still use Ender set at one my PM... and i'm not amazed. Yea, instakill and crit damage and +18% to HP... but LGS obsolete so gravely that any other appropriate gear just better.
Ender set has never been good for PM caster. It takes up 5 slots and that has always been overkill, even when ender was a good set (for other builds, not for wizard caster). Currently the set is quite obsolete for everyone (I suppose there may still be any build but in general).

I think you don't understand why I carry two items, and only two items, which by the way are not part of the ender set. It's because overall I get a good chunk of spell points, between the set and the profane bonus. It's because I get a nice bonus to spellcraft, which controls my spell damage. And it's because one of the items gives me the same thing that an IoD item could give me: critical damage to negative. For two items, it gives me things that I value. If you only play on low difficulty or in groups, you may not value spell points. If you play on high difficulty as a solo or duo, you will value them much more. When you don't have anyone to kill those pesky doom or inflated HP bosses for you, believe me, you value them. So, this LGS may not be suitable for you. For me I already think it does its job.

EinarMal's is a good set too, it gives you a lot of useful bonus. Ender... my advice would be to change it.

In another thread I read that you said that you only have 40 reaper points or something like that. That means you don't play high reaper much, which may explain why the two of us have very different perspectives on what is useful. As I said, in DDO there is no master set for the gear. Depending on how you play, there are configurations that are more useful than others, and there may even be several good configurations for the same character.

I was in the process of updating my equipment with the new chronoscope augment set, but seeing myth drannor so near, I passed. I'm not going to spend my precious reaper shards to change everything in a few months. It's not like my current equipment doesn't work, after all.

Last edited:

Lazuli

wow, I see I have a long way to go :oops:
Unless you are raiding in high reaper, you don't need to have that much DC, because you are going to kill all the mobs with less DC anyway. I prefer to sacrifice a little DC (not much, you shouldn't compromise your efficiency) and have spell damage, but as I say it depends on your goal. If your goal is to be a 100% DC caster, you may prefer to go all DC.