How does Wizards kill bosses and other monsters that can't be killed by insta kill?

RobShow

After the most horrible and clueless update ever, how do you have DPS with wizard?

Ruin is dealing less damage than ACID WELL even though my force spell damage modifiers are better than the acid spells.

After this nice update I can't finish R4 WPM on my own, which I used to finish quietly before the update.

Am I required to play only in a group now? Is this the goal of DEVs?

Wizard seems to be hated, with each passing year more nerfs.

Kessaran

Ruin deals a flat 500 damage, before modifiers. Acid well deals 1d6+18 acid damage per caster level, max 20d6+360. I would hope Acid Well does more damage consistently. For clarity's sake, I should mention that the 20d6 +360 assumes nothing increasing your MCL. At 32 MCL would be 26, which makes the damage 26d6 + 468.

As for pure caster Wizard, they have more spell slots for a wider variety of spells. If you're struggling that much without your ED carrying you through, perhaps it would be better to reevaluate your build at it's core.

vryxnr

If you plan to solo, you have to build to solo, which means including damage for things that are immune to CC/Instas. Will it take longer? Yes. Is it impossible? No. Will being in a group of people with a variety of builds and focuses be more efficient, usually yes. That is (afaik) by design.

Kessaran

Level 32!

For instance:

WPM quest > I have ALWAYS played and completed this solo quest without any problem.

After the update I can't finish anymore.

The problem is not my build, the problem is this pathetic update!
So, again, that just raises the point that an update rebalanced the epic destinies and your build proved to be too reliant on the pre-nerfed epic destinies. Hate on the update as much as you want but the fact remains that you are just another of the multitude of players who have to redo their BUILDS because the EPIC DESTINY you crutched on is no longer overtuned enough.

vryxnr

There is a lot that I hate about the most recent update. At the same time: "adapt or die". The update changed many fundamental things, but the update happened. Is it possible the changes in the update will be reversed? Yes, but very very VERY unlikely. Is it easier for the player base to change their builds to adapt to the changes? Yes.

Cernunan

So, again, that just raises the point that an update rebalanced the epic destinies and your build proved to be too reliant on the pre-nerfed epic destinies. Hate on the update as much as you want but the fact remains that you are just another of the multitude of players who have to redo their BUILDS because the EPIC DESTINY you crutched on is no longer overtuned enough.
Just stop.

They are doing what they keep doing. They spent years selling us power, and now that they have sucked every penny they could, they are nerfing that power back, just so they can sell that power back to you later this/next year with whatever uber legendary power they sell next.

So please stop insulting people irritated with this constant 'business model' just because you don't quite understand what they are doing

Kessaran

Just stop.

They are doing what they keep doing. They spent years selling us power, and now that they have sucked every penny they could, they are nerfing that power back, just so they can sell that power back to you later this/next year with whatever uber legendary power they sell next.

So please stop insulting people irritated with this constant 'business model' just because you don't quite understand what they are doing
Hardly an insult. if the truth offends you, that sounds more like a personal problem? All i did was state the explicit facts that you and he may or may not agree with. And to counteract your argument specifically, a LOT of people said the exact same thing about ranged nerfs leading up to Horizon Walker. Horizon Walker did not address the underlying issues with ranged builds, and in no way shape or form have they successfully "sold" that power back to the players. Hence why people are still ticked off to this day.

RobShow

Bro I redo my build.
Before or after redo my dps is now totally garbage!

I was forced to use insta kills, I didn't use necro as my main.

My mana fully drained, which didn't happen before.
Ruin is consistently dealing less than 5k damage, I've even sharded Fred and removed Ruin and G Ruin.

Gather the videos of the best players, ubers or whatever you want to call it, watch the videos of those who solo even R10, there is never a WIZARD!!!

For years now, Wizard has been totally screwed, update after update, solo performance goes to waste.

For those who disagree and say it's my fault, post your solo wizard videos on R4+.

RobShow

And by the way, I've NEVER played Draconic Destiny.

RobShow

There is a lot that I hate about the most recent update. At the same time: "adapt or die". The update changed many fundamental things, but the update happened. Is it possible the changes in the update will be reversed? Yes, but very very VERY unlikely. Is it easier for the player base to change their builds to adapt to the changes? Yes.
Isn't that the title of the post?

Those of you who have adapted and continue to solo your quests in R4+ at least, teach me.

What's your DPS like?

vryxnr

hard to give advice when replies are "before I did this, now I can't, ef the last update"... but here is some general advice (from someone who's comfort zone is solo r4)

When one is spec'ed for CC/Intakills, doing DPS on bosses is going to be tough. It's not impossible, but it's going to take longer. You need patience and/or survivability to deal with the longer fights. There is no ONE SINGLE WAY to do this, and what works for one build and one person may not work for other builds and other people.

Ruin and greater ruin and acid well not enough? If you're stuck waiting for them to get off cooldown, add in a few other DPS spells to put intothe rotation.

You have a good rotation but the damage is still low and it takes forever? Find ways to bump up your spellpower and spell crit chance and spell crit damage.

Their damage to you outpaces your damage to them and you end up dying? Are you kiting? are you using terrain to break line of sight when possible? Are you trying to find safe spots to attack from? Are you just standing there taking all the hits to the face? Find ways to bump up defences (HP, PRR, MRR, dodge, saving throws, if you're in mid reaper and lower, concealment bonuses/incorp - in high reaper these get negated), and move around more. You don't take damage if they can't hit you because you're far away. They close the distance? move away. Doing this takes practice, build alone may not be enough in all situations.

Last edited:

Sheikra

Bro I redo my build.
Before or after redo my dps is now totally garbage!

I was forced to use insta kills, I didn't use necro as my main.

My mana fully drained, which didn't happen before.
Ruin is consistently dealing less than 5k damage, I've even sharded Fred and removed Ruin and G Ruin.

Gather the videos of the best players, ubers or whatever you want to call it, watch the videos of those who solo even R10, there is never a WIZARD!!!

For years now, Wizard has been totally screwed, update after update, solo performance goes to waste.

For those who disagree and say it's my fault, post your solo wizard videos on R4+.

RobShow

hard to give advice when replies are "before I did this, now I can't, ef the last update"... but here is some general advice (from someone who's comfort zone is solo r4)

When one is spec'ed for CC/Intakills, doing DPS on bosses is going to be tough. It's not impossible, but it's going to take longer. You need patience and/or survivability to deal with the longer fights. There is no ONE SINGLE WAY to do this, and what works for one build and one person may not work for other builds and other people.

Ruin and greater ruin and acid well not enough? If you're stuck waiting for them to get off cooldown, add in a few other DPS spells to put intothe rotation.

You have a good rotation but the damage is still low and it takes forever? Find ways to bump up your spellpower and spell crit chance and spell crit damage.

Their damage to you outpaces your damage to them and you end up dying? Are you kiting? are you using terrain to break line of sight when possible? Are you trying to find safe spots to attack from? Are you just standing there taking all the hits to the face? Find ways to bump up defences (HP, PRR, MRR, dodge, saving throws, if you're in mid reaper and lower, concealment bonuses/incorp - in high reaper these get negated), and move around more. You don't take damage if they can't hit you because you're far away. They close the distance? move away. Doing this takes practice, build along may not be enough in all situations.
AGAIN!

The damage is so low that my mana runs out!

I die after my mana runs out, because without mana what's a pure wizard supposed to do?

Go up and attack everything and everyone with your wands that deal 1D4 damage?

Before this update in WPM R4+ I would enter ALL the FIGHTS until the Boss, kill and my mana would not run out.

Thanks to the beautiful work of this update, I avoid fights so as not to spend mana, I get to the Boss and my mana that was practically full runs out and the Boss doesn't die.

I'm nervous and I'm a bad player, but I'm still waiting for the videos of the good wizards soloing R4+.

PraetorPlato

Ruin didn't change—the only nerf was to dragon breath for caster damage (and holy fireball, but I doubt you were using that on your wiz). Big ruin damage comes from t5 draconic.

vryxnr

AGAIN!

The damage is so low that my mana runs out!

I die after my mana runs out, because without mana what's a pure wizard supposed to do?

Go up and attack everything and everyone with your wands that deal 1D4 damage?

Before this update in WPM R4+ I would enter ALL the FIGHTS until the Boss, kill and my mana would not run out.

Thanks to the beautiful work of this update, I avoid fights so as not to spend mana, I get to the Boss and my mana that was practically full runs out and the Boss doesn't die.

I'm nervous and I'm a bad player, but I'm still waiting for the videos of the good wizards soloing R4+.
Dude, I'm trying to help. You asked for advice, this is the advice. Running out of mana? Find ways to get more. More starting mana, items that replenish mana (RoSS, Bauble, even start saving up and checking the AH for mnemnonic pots).

Replying with all caps (yelling) declaring those trying to figure out specific ways ot help you are essentuially useless or desregaring what they say just makes people less likely to want to help.

There is no one answer, but there are solutions to your problem. It may be several different things working together to make it work, but it's possible if you at least try instead of constantly pushing back.

I never said run up and hit it with a dagger. Why are you going to that as a solution after everythign I said prior about making your spells BETTER so that they CAN do enough damage?

edit: is the only "advice" you're willing to even consider a complete pure 20 wizard build accompanied by a video showing it soloing r4+? Perhaps you could have started with those requirements and saved people the time and headache of trying to be helpful in ways you would not accept.