How does Wizards kill bosses and other monsters that can't be killed by insta kill?

vryxnr

If the difference before this last update and after is so dramatic and you were not using DI or such... I have to wonder... did one of your ED trees get reset and you missed it / didn't respend your refunded points? Yes, there were a lot of changes, but going from completing no problem to struggling so badly makes me think an entire trees worth of points might be empty.

edit: Also, don't sleep on SLA's. Yeah, the big spells do more damage per cast, but do they do more per spell point spent? SLAs can be boosted by metamagics without adding to their spell point cost. Perhaps make sure you have one or two of those of the DPS type so that when you get to a boss, you can spam those without draining your spell points so quickly?

Last edited:

RobShow

Dude, I'm trying to help. You asked for advice, this is the advice. Running out of mana? Find ways to get more. More starting mana, items that replenish mana (RoSS, Bauble, even start saving up and checking the AH for mnemnonic pots).

Replying with all caps (yelling) declaring those trying to figure out specific ways ot help you are essentuially useless or desregaring what they say just makes people less likely to want to help.

There is no one answer, but there are solutions to your problem. It may be several different things working together to make it work, but it's possible if you at least try instead of constantly pushing back.

I never said run up and hit it with a dagger. Why are you going to that as a solution after everythign I said prior about making your spells BETTER so that they CAN do enough damage?

edit: is the only "advice" you're willing to even consider a complete pure 20 wizard build accompanied by a video showing it soloing r4+? Perhaps you could have started with those requirements and saved people the time and headache of trying to be helpful in ways you would not accept.
No one needs to have a headache, just don't read it, or read it and ignore it.

Hitting with daggers was sarcastic, as was this wonderful update.

I'm 20 pure wizard, I have extra mana sources like bauble, survival, etc...

This update mostly ruined pure wizard solo.

Saying that I'm a bad player and it may be true doesn't change the fact that before the update I had no problem with certain quests, now I can't even finish them.

So far they haven't shown me anything I don't already know.

If you guys can solar R4+ I want to know how!
I have no problem admitting that someone plays better than me, I just want to know how that person manages to do it.

There's no point in mocking me and not doing what you claim.

RobShow

If the difference before this last update and after is so dramatic and you were not using DI or such... I have to wonder... did one of your ED trees get reset and you missed it / didn't respend your refunded points? Yes, there were a lot of changes, but going from completing no problem to struggling so badly makes me think an entire trees worth of points might be empty.

edit: Also, don't sleep on SLA's. Yeah, the big spells do more damage per cast, but do they do more per spell point spent? SLAs can be boosted by metamagics without adding to their spell point cost. Perhaps make sure you have one or two of those of the DPS type so that when you get to a boss, you can spam those without draining your spell points so quickly?
Man, I even used a heart to remake the character,

So far I haven't missed anything, what you're talking about I already know, I'm using it.

If you guys are getting solar R4+ with pure wizard I want to know how, because I can't do it anymore.

About DI, if this is mandatory now then do you admit that the game has gotten worse?

For DI damage it has always been superior, but I myself have never used it even though I know it and I have always been able to play.

If everyone is required to use DI, then I and many are right, this update sucks!

RobShow

Ruin didn't change—the only nerf was to dragon breath for caster damage (and holy fireball, but I doubt you were using that on your wiz). Big ruin damage comes from t5 draconic.
It has changed with me.
The damage is less and I've seen another player report the same.

vryxnr

Saying that I'm a bad player and it may be true doesn't change the fact that before the update I had no problem with certain quests, now I can't even finish them.
When did I say that? When you first said that I thought it was self deprecation.
There's no point in mocking me and not doing what you claim.
I was being genuine in my advice, I was not intending to mock. I do not know you, but i have seen people genuinely confused by dying when building DPS and not kiting (they stood there and tanked everything without being built to survive). In other games I've had people, self proclaimed experienced people, ask for help... and I asked if they have this one specific thing active. They said "yes" multiple times, even though that one thing was the only possible thing causing their issues... until they sent me a screenshot and I pointed to the UI and said "right there it shows this one thing I asked if you had active and you said was active, in this screenshot indicates it is not active". After an embarrassed "oh." they activated the things and their issues resolved.

Thus I am thorough and cover what many consider "basics" or even no brainers, because sometimes those things ARE missed.

vryxnr

DI is not mandatory, it was mentioned because before this update it was a major source of DPS. It still boosts ruin damage considerably, but it is still not mandatory. Wasn't before, especially isn't now.

My computer is not setup (neither processing power, not storage space) for recording, so I can't give you what you want.

Good luck, hopefully someone else will be able to give you what you want.

PraetorPlato

It has changed with me.
The damage is less and I've seen another player report the same.
Do you have any numbers showing that? I was testing ruin pretty carefully before the update, and post-update numbers seem identical. How much of a change are you seeing? Also, can you post a SS of your current Eds?

Reactions: DBZ

cdbd3rd

.....Thus I am thorough and cover what many consider "basics" or even no brainers, because sometimes those things ARE missed.

7a00a46f-ea54-4aa0-aeaa-c45d5494442d_text.gif

Ying

5000+ hours played
How does Wizards kill bosses and other monsters that can't be killed by insta kill?
Poorly. The Wizard enhancement trees aren't very good for nuking beyond R1 difficulty. Sorcs get many bonuses to (max) class levels, which in turn amp up their spell damage. In higher reaper, you end up sitting on your hands vs bosses and death warded mobs.

If you're just getting Wizard past lives, or doing hardcore favor, they nuke just fine on R1 or below.

RobShow

When did I say that? When you first said that I thought it was self deprecation.

I was being genuine in my advice, I was not intending to mock. I do not know you, but i have seen people genuinely confused by dying when building DPS and not kiting (they stood there and tanked everything without being built to survive). In other games I've had people, self proclaimed experienced people, ask for help... and I asked if they have this one specific thing active. They said "yes" multiple times, even though that one thing was the only possible thing causing their issues... until they sent me a screenshot and I pointed to the UI and said "right there it shows this one thing I asked if you had active and you said was active, in this screenshot indicates it is not active". After an embarrassed "oh." they activated the things and their issues resolved.

Thus I am thorough and cover what many consider "basics" or even no brainers, because sometimes those things ARE missed.
Dodge = 32
RRP = 125

Acid Spell power = 625
Force Spell power = 735

Spell critical chance=
Acid = 27
Force = 26

Spell critical multiplier
Acid = 20
Force = 45

I'm a generalist, other elements are going to be a little smaller than Acid and Force.

I'd rather have 32 permanent dodge than decrease it to go up a few points of prr.

Permanent attributes, not to mention potions, clickies, etc.

I don't have all the packs as IoD, but out of all the packs I have, I have the items I need.

My only problem is the damage!!!
The damage is much lower now, so my mana is insufficient.

If I'm going to be spending mana pots in addition to clickies, I'll start endorsing players who ask melees to have stamina bar for attack. :>)

Thanks for trying, let's let it go, there's no conclusion to anything at all.

RobShow

Do you have any numbers showing that? I was testing ruin pretty carefully before the update, and post-update numbers seem identical. How much of a change are you seeing? Also, can you post a SS of your current Eds?
I removed Ruin and G. Ruin with Fred minutes or an hour ago, I mentioned this in a post.

I tested several trees and EDs, spent a lot of shards and even a heart.

About Ruin and G.ruin I'm going to owe, I won't and I don't even have 30 shards to replace.

vryxnr

I posted a link to my build I do solo almost always R4-R6.

Post in thread 'How do you gear your PM?'
https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/how-do-you-gear-your-pm.7881/post-86468
This has some very good things in it. Please don't discredit it just because the thread it's in is about PMs. It can be applied to all types of wizards.

Note that EinarMal's crit chance is around 50% and crit damage is around 80-100 for their main damage types. This is what I aim for as well, and is a great source of damage when you can't get more spellpower.

Without IoD, getting the extra crit damage may require some time. The next best source of crit damage (I'm probably missing some source) is likely going to be LGS (so, legendary shroud runs).

EinarMal

Dodge = 32
RRP = 125

Acid Spell power = 625
Force Spell power = 735

Spell critical chance=
Acid = 27
Force = 26

Spell critical multiplier
Acid = 20
Force = 45

I'm a generalist, other elements are going to be a little smaller than Acid and Force.

I'd rather have 32 permanent dodge than decrease it to go up a few points of prr.

Permanent attributes, not to mention potions, clickies, etc.

I don't have all the packs as IoD, but out of all the packs I have, I have the items I need.

My only problem is the damage!!!
The damage is much lower now, so my mana is insufficient.

If I'm going to be spending mana pots in addition to clickies, I'll start endorsing players who ask melees to have stamina bar for attack. :>)

Thanks for trying, let's let it go, there's no conclusion to anything at all.
IOD really helps with the easy critical damage boost. It is possible but you have to grind gear like crazy.

RobShow

I use sonic acid force cold and lightning. I don’t use fire because web is still useful on some things other CC won’t catch.
I use fire and web, but I put them in different rotations so the fire doesn't nullify the web.

RobShow

IOD really helps with the easy critical damage boost. It is possible but you have to grind gear like crazy.
The difference between our build and feats is:

You have the master of the song, I don't.

But I think I've found the answer to my post-update problem.

IoD ITEMS! They are the ones who put your damage capacity at the top with the critical chance and damage.

I'll be researching similar items outside of IoD, farming, equipping, and damage testing.

Thank you!!

Aaabbbcccddd

Just stop.

They are doing what they keep doing. They spent years selling us power, and now that they have sucked every penny they could, they are nerfing that power back, just so they can sell that power back to you later this/next year with whatever uber legendary power they sell next.

So please stop insulting people irritated with this constant 'business model' just because you don't quite understand what they are doing
I don't know how people can talk about this patch and tell everyone, it was the worst thing in DDO history, while keeping a straight face. There are like 60 buffs and 5 nerfs in the patchnotes and people make it sound like the patchnote only got 5 entries. It is just mind boggling to me.

And OP could take a closer look at the Magus ED, it got a lot of buffs, especially in the single target dmg department.

EinarMal

I don't know how people can talk about this patch and tell everyone, it was the worst thing in DDO history, while keeping a straight face. There are like 60 buffs and 5 nerfs in the patchnotes and people make it sound like the patchnote only got 5 entries. It is just mind boggling to me.

And OP could take a closer look at the Magus ED, it got a lot of buffs, especially in the single target dmg department.
Magus is not great for Wizard because cold and negative have too many immunities.

Acid, Sonic are better force is good but basically you have arcane tempest.