Illithid Invasion u63 Event Unlocking Mega Thread [Completed]

Lotoc

bro you totally misread what he wrote,all he said was just cuz you searched a quest in wave one and it didn't have one,in Wave 3 it could, nothing about quest that already had one having it agian
Really if it were to be a helpful hint it'd be "whats the worst possible place you think an illithid could be"

TroggyTrog

If there were a random specific required sequence then you'd have a 1 in 6 chance of getting the first pull right, 1 in 5 on the second, 1 in 4 on the third, et cetera.

1/6 * 1/5 * 1/4 * 1/3 * 1/2 = 1 in 520 chance of success

That's significantly worse odds than what we have actually seen. People have also reported collapse on the last wheel (though Cannith boots can potentially get you over the gap in that case).

Unfortunately, there are just too many possibilities to even begin to guess. The sequence could even be completely irrelevant. For all we know, every time ANY gear is pulled the game does something like 1d3; 1=Nothing, 2=Lightning, 3=Collapse.

Maybe disarming traps helps. Maybe two 'lightning' results, or a 'lightning' result before two successes, causes a collapse. Maybe the results are different on Tuesdays. We just don't know... and the amount of testing which would be required to evaluate all the possibilities is beyond insane.
I've always felt the Lightning is significant in this puzzle for this reason: The opening lyrics to Rainbow in the Dark by DIO: "When there's lightning, you know it always brings me down". This suggests, to me at least, that the lightning should make the floor break thus 'bringing you down'.

vryxnr

I've always felt the Lightning is significant in this puzzle for this reason: The opening lyrics to Rainbow in the Dark by DIO: "When there's lightning, you know it always brings me down". This suggests, to me at least, that the lightning should make the floor break thus 'bringing you down'.
Unfortunately, I've had the lightning trap spring, and still was able to open the gate without the floor breaking. (I really wish some of these hypothesis' turned out true and this puzzle isn't completely arbitrarily random, but so far it's looking like it is, which makes me sad)

TroggyTrog

May be that's the clue
if it does not lock once started to pull
He didn't imply that. previously-visited does not mean previously populated. He was telling people to make sure that quests (unpopulated) that were checked in phase 2 were rechecked in phase 3. Learn to read before mud slinging perhaps?
May be that's the clue
if it does not lock once started to pull
I haven't messed with this puzzle much, but you can start pulling then animation cancel the pull, stopping the lever from fully activating (much like the levers in Tomb of the Forbidden). So it would be worth experimenting with.

TroggyTrog

Unfortunately, I've had the lightning trap spring, and still was able to open the gate without the floor breaking. (I really wish some of these hypothesis' turned out true and this puzzle isn't completely arbitrarily random, but so far it's looking like it is, which makes me sad)
It might just be the puzzle of RNGeesus

Rakehell

Thats true for me too. Lightning went off and floor did not break, and gate opened... very tough to speculate on the proper combo.

Ahpuch

RNGeesus finally smiled down on me and gave me an opening for a victory over the Illithid Invader (Ghallanda, still not exhausted). I think I am about 1 victory for 30. (I had the door open previously once but the floor broke and I had no means to access the chamber on that char).

Truth be told, despite its demise, the Illithid was actually victorious as this effort to prove it could be done has likely sent me to madness. :<

Pom

Pom
Rustys split into 2 groups - 14 confirmed kills. could be more but frankly brain dead and seeing earth ellies in our dreams. It still goes on and the die hards are bringing it home :)

Gunzilla

DDO forums: “Devs made it too easy. They’re the worst and don’t know what they’re doing. I’m taking my ball and going home”

Also DDO forums: “Devs made it too hard. They’re the worst and don’t know what they’re doing. I’m taking my ball and going home.”

Congratulations to the people that are coming together in the community to complete the tasks. No matter if they’re challenging or not. Keep up the good work!

Lotoc

My original plan was to just post the following in chat but I figured it was too obvious:

When there's lightning, you know it always brings me down
I have to say the russian roulette puzzle gating the illithid is probably the single worst spot it could be in the game. I genuinely can't think of a single more sadistic and inconsistently accessible spawn point than that.
I'm almost scared of what phase 4 might do to get even worse.