Kali's Favored Soul Healer + Insta-kill Caster build

Kalibano

Build Designer & Fun Lover!
Welcome to my build repository! I've been playing since 2006, and I play to have fun: I don't really care about 'the META'. I have 23 alts, so I actively play practically every class and race available in the game. I design all my builds fully from scratch. Hope you find them useful, and constructive comments/ suggestions are always welcome!

If you would like to contribute towards this effort, any donations will be greatly appreciated. If not, please don't worry: sharing is caring! Just sit back and relax, and enjoy the builds!

4. Kali's Favored Soul Healer + Insta-kill caster build
DDOBuilder file for this build. You can find and download Maetrim's DDOBuilder here.
Fv-S-Healer-Avatar.jpg

Preface to the build

This thread aims to provide the very 'core' of the build:
  • show how it started: its key aims
  • indicate the key decisions that can be made to achieve those aims: stats, skills, feats, heroic enhancements, epic destinies
  • all numbers are based on what a first-lifer (or someone with minimal past lives) would have, unbuffed, outside of reaper mode (they do, however, include equipped gear and partially completed filigrees). They are real characters, and those are the numbers I can offer.
  • numbers are indicative of the potential minimum amounts that can be achieved with the investments that were proposed
  • provide a 'photo' of what your character could look like at endgame during quite a few lives of their 'TR hamster wheel' journey
  • show the 'foundations' to be built upon, if a player decides to embark on the 'TR hamster wheel' and go out there to hunt for rare bonuses
  • gear choices are NOT part of the core build, but rather one of the most important ways to invest in the key elements of the core build to make the aims work. It has been added here simply to suggest options/ inspire. No promises are being made towards keeping this updated upon the release of new content.

DISCLAIMER: nobody in real life has been injured on the making of this thread, and nobody will suffer injuries in real life if they try it. DDO is an awesome game, and trying-and-testing + making changes to suit your specific play style are a very healthy aspect of the game. It's how you learn and get better! Try not to stress too much about what some people have to say about how you play your game. Not everyone gets that this is a game, that people are not the same, and don't want the same things! The Mountain has many paths. Have fun!

Aims of the build

Primary aim(s):
1. Primary party Healer
> Beacon of Hope:​
> 'Flame of the Favored [T5]'
> 'Beacons: Grace [C2] & Hope [C4]'
> SLAs: 'Heal [T5] & Close wounds [T2]' + 'Might's reward: WIS [T2]'
> Favored Soul (FvS) key spells:​
> 'Divine Wrath'
> 'Heal'
> Exalted Angel:​
> 'Angelic Form: Mantle [T2] & Holy Presence [T4]'
> SLA: 'Mass Cure Moderate Wounds [T3]'
> 'Angelic Charge: Heavenly Blessing [C4]'
> 'Ascendance [T5]'
> Primal Avatar:​
> 'Spring to Summer [T1]'
> 'Reborn in Fire [T2]'
> 'Rejuvenation Cocoon [T1]'
> Aasimar:​
> 'Healing Hands'

Secondary aim(s):
2. Insta Kills:
Evocation
> 'Implosion' (AoE)
Necromancy
> 'Destruction'
> 'Slay Living'
> vs undead: 'Undeath to Death'
3. Moderate offensive casting: Light + Fire spells
> Preference to spells that heal while doing damage to enemies:​
> FvS:
Evocation
> 'Divine Wrath' (spell)​
> Primal Avatar​
Evocation
> 'Spring to Summer [T1]'
NO Save
> 'Reborn in Fire [T2]'
> Other key offensive spells:
> Exalted Angel
Evocation
> 'Holy Fireball [T5]'
> Angel of Vengeance
Evocation (SLAs)​
> 'Sunbolt [T3]
> 'Nimbus of Light [T1]'
> Favored Soul
Evocation
> 'Celestial Bombardment'
> 'Fire Storm'
> 'Flame Strike'
> 'Blade Barrier'
NO Save
> Searing Light'
> Passive dmg​
> Angel of Vengenace​
> 'Summon Archon [C4]' (1-3+caster level Light damage, every 2s, uses character's Spell Power and crit)
4. Some crowd control (CC):
Evocation
> 'Soundburst'
> 'Celestial Bombardment'
Enchantment
> 'Stand & Be Judged'
> 'Great Command'
5. De-buffs:
> Angel of Vengenace​
> on being hit, 10% vulnerability to light/align damage; -10% reduces fortification; stacks 5 times
> 'Shield of Condemnation [C2]'
- can be transferred to another front-line character via 'Crown of Retribution [T4]'
> AoE, -2 saving throws, attack & AC
> 'Aura of Menace [C3]'
> FvS spells:​
Necromancy
> 'Bestow Curse'
> 'Cackle Fever'
> 'Prayer' (no save)
Key stats & synergies

Key abilities toolbar (main rotation):
Fv-S-Healer-Key-abilities-toolbar.jpg

A. Wisdom = high Heal skill (more healing)

B. Main Spell DCs:
> Evocation (108+)
> Necromancy (106+)
> Enchantment (100+)​

C. Main Spell Powers:
Fv-S-Healer-Spellpowers.jpg

D. Survivability (after all, a dead healer can't heal the party):
> Extra Hit Points:​
> 'Stout of Heart' FvS feat​
> Hit Points bonus = +15-20%:​
Sacred bonus
> +5% sacred: Aasimar [T4]​
Legendary bonus
> +10% legendary: Winter set​
Insightful bonus
> +5% insight: Primal Avatar [T4] (*after shrine)
> Energy absorptions: Fire; Cold, Electric
> FvS feats
I share some strategies for general defensiveness and survival in this thread. Come visit if you feel it could be useful to you!

The 'core elements' of the build

Class(es): Favored Soul (20)
Race: Aasimar
Alignment: Any
Main stat: Wisdom (level ups here)
Starting stats (34 pts): STR: 08/ DEX: 08/ CON: 18/ INT: 10/ WIS: 20/ CHA: 08
Skills: Heal/ Spellcraft/ Use Magic Device/ Tumble (1 point)

Feats:
Fv-S-Healer-Feats.jpg

Heroic enhancements: 83 = 80 + 2 (Racial tomes) + 1 (Universal tome)
Fv-S-Healer-Heroic-enhancs.jpg

Epic Destinies: 65 = 61 + 1 (Tome of Fate +3) + 2 (Fey & Dread tomes) + 1 (Historic tome)
Fv-S-Healer-Epic-Destinies.jpg

N.B: ED multi-selector choices:
> Exalted Angel​
> C4: Heavenly Blessing​
> T1: Angelic Form​
> T3: Necromancy DCs​
> T5: Holy Fireball​
> Primal Avatar​
> T1: Spring to Summer​
> T2: Spirit Boon: Mind​
> T2: Reborn in Fire​
> T3: Evocation DCs​

Spells:
Fv-S-Healer-Spells.jpg

Suggestions for gear
(not part of the core build: choices based on what supports the main aims of the build best, with the intention to suggest/ inspire)

Gear Set bonuses:
Fv-S-Healer-Gear-Set-bonuses.jpg

Gear:
(PS: Some choices ref gear cater to a much larger personal scheme/tetris where items need to get shared between several alts at endgame, where I normally play in reaper mode 6-10 skulls).
Fv-S-Healer-Gear-set-labelled.jpg

Rings-of-Spell-Storing.jpg

Most important augments to slot:
(Suggestions for where to slot them in the DDOBuilder file for this build)
+2 profane/ +1 except All Ability scores
+5 insight/ +2 fest Wisdom
+2 festive Constitution

+6 equip Necromancy & Evocation DCs
+2 enhanc Necromancy, Evocation, Conjuration & Enchantment DCs
+5% insight All Spell Critical chance
+261 enhanc/ +100 insight Spell Points

Runic Revitalisation
+19 Heal skill
+32 Sheltering / +10 resist All Saves

(Suggestions for where to slot them in the DDOBuilder file for this build).

Main Filigree Set bonuses:
Fv-S-Healer-Filigree-Set-bonuses.jpg

Filigrees: 14 = 10 (weapon) + 4 (artefact)
Fv-S-Healer-Filigrees-all.jpg

Filigree master plan:
  1. Primarily invest in Spell DC and Wisdom.
  2. Spell Power goes as secondary aim, if/when possible to squeeze in
  3. other effects get the least priority

I am always happy to read, consider and respond to constructive comments/ suggestions / feedback that are provided in a polite and friendly manner. I welcome discussions with anyone who is capable (and willing) to do this. Some discussions may lead to both parties simply agreeing to disagreeing - that's absolutely fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion after all!

Last edited:

Kalibano

Hi @DeathTitan. Thank you for your message and your comment.

Happy to clarify: this is a healer build, with the primary aim of healing the party. So the largest investment (e.g. Beacon tree with no spell DCs) is towards that aim. The secondary aim (i.e. in-between healing the party, if/when time allows), is insta-killing mobs, combined with moderate offensive casting.

All numbers I have posted are non-buffed, our of reaper. Another factor to consider is that I do actively play 23 alts, so I don't have 23 completionists, and neither have 23 full filigree gems, nor full reaper trees for all (and even more likely that I never will!). It is very plausible to expect that numbers would be boosted a bit more with that investment.

What matters to me personally is that the numbers work, as I frequently play reaper 6-10 skulls. It might not be no-fail, but with the debuffs going from other players it lands frequently enough for me to use it for the aims stated (and the way I personally like to play the build).

The numbers would be likely to reach what you suggested if the primary aim of this build was to insta-kill, which it is not. If it was, I would have built it differently e.g. it is very likely that I would have chosen a different race: Shifter, as its Howl gives a massive debuff to saves.

This isn't the META for FvS (I don't really care about META to be brutally honest): this is a fun way to play this class, and anyone who is interested is welcome to give this a go.

If you have any specific suggestions for this specific build (i.e. so it fulfils the aims I proposed), I would be very keen to hear, and grateful for your time! :)

Last edited:

DeathTitan

Hi @DeathTitan. Thank you for your message and your comment.

Happy to clarify: this is a healer build, with the primary aim of healing the party. So the largest investment (e.g. Beacon tree with no spell DCs) is towards that aim. The secondary aim (i.e. in-between healing the party, if/when time allows), is insta-killing mobs, combined with moderate offensive casting.

All numbers I have posted are non-buffed, our of reaper. Another factor to consider is that I do actively play 23 alts, so I don't have 23 completionists, and neither have 23 full filigree gems, nor full reaper trees for all (and even more likely that I never will!). It is very plausible to expect that numbers would be boosted a bit more with that investment.

What matters to me personally is that the numbers work, as I frequently play reaper 6-10 skulls. It might not be no-fail, but with the debuffs going from other players it lands frequently enough for me to use it for the aims stated (and the way I personally like to play the build).

The numbers would be likely to reach what you suggested if the primary aim of this build was to insta-kill, which it is not. If it was, I would have built it differently e.g. it is very likely that I would have chosen a different race: Shifter, as its Howl gives a massive debuff to saves.

This isn't the META for FvS (I don't really care about META to be brutally honest): this is a fun way to play this class, and anyone who is interested is welcome to give this a go.

If you have any specific suggestions for the this specific build (i.e. so it fulfils the aims I proposed), I would be very keen to hear, and grateful for your time! :)

In this case I think that you should publish builds as if they had all past lives, weapon with 10 filigrees and artifact with 3/4 filigrees so that any player could know its true potential (maybe without including reaper bonus to helm and rings and without including bard buffs).

Like when I read your wizard with "Wizard Necromancer Insta-kill/CC caster build" with 115+ necro DC (which is very low for a wizard), I can't know if it would suck for a full completionist toon because the build is badly designed or if it sucks because it's used by a first life player.

For example, if you post your Evocation DC, include the 3 sorcerer past lives for +3 DC and past life arcane initiate feat in the feats list even if yours is a first life toon, or if you post Illusion DC then include 3 deep gnome lives, etcetera.

It would be also nice that when you write a spell school DC and your primary attribute, you write their breakdown (the calculation is similar for all caster builds).

This is a breakdown template I use for my builds and it would help me to understand if your builds include all important stuff:

Wisdom (110):
18 Base
8 Level-up
8 Tome
2 Class completionist
2 Racial completionist
2 Racial past life feats (Aasimar and Human)
4 Season’s herald enhancements
4 Feydark illusionist enhancements
1 Falconry enhancements
5 Dire thaumaturge
2 Spirit boon (primal avatar destiny - tier 2)
1 Glitter of fame (fatesinger destiny - core 3)
1 Primal resonance (fatesinger destiny - tier 4)
2 Guild airship bonus from Floating rock garden
2 Yugoloth potion
2 Long lasting elixir of owl’s knowledge
2 Reaper ability boost from Legendary elder's cap
2 Profane bonus from Essence of the epic litany of the dead
6 Insightful bonus from The legendary shattered onyx
3 Quality bonus from Legendary goggles of dusk
11 Filigrees (6 in sentient weapon, 5 in artifact)
3 Artifact bonus from Legendary hruit’s influence set
15 Enhancement bonus from Dinosaur bone boots
2 Diamond of festive wisdom
2 Exceptional bonus from Dinosaur bone quarterstaff

Earthquake DC (128):
18 Base
50 Wisdom
3 Epic spell focus evocation
1 Past life arcane initiate
3 Sorcerer past lives
2 Embolden spell
4 Scion of water
4 Fatesinger destiny cores
3 Mastering the strings (fatesinger destiny - tier 5)
1 Ballad of the ages (fatesinger destiny - tier 5)
3 The magic of music (fatesinger destiny - tier 3)
1 Guild airship bonus from Archwizard
4 Dire thaumaturge
1 Hierophant (season’s herald - core 6)
1 Strength of the solstice (season’s herald - tier 4)
3 True power (dragonborn - tier 4)
6 Evocation focus from Legendary goggles of dusk
3 Insightful evocation focus from Legendary goggles of dusk
2 Quality spell focus mastery from Legendary goggles of dusk
2 Profane spell focus from The legendary shattered onyx
2 Sacred spell focus from Dinosaur bone boots
2 Exceptional spell focus from Dinosaur bone quarterstaff
3 Artifact bonus from Legendary hruit's influence set
2 Lunar magic filigree set
2 Eye of the beholder set
2 Topaz of greater evocation

Last edited:

Kalibano

In this case I think that you should publish builds as if they had all past lives, weapon with 10 filigrees and artifact with 3/4 filigrees so that any player could know its true potential (maybe without including reaper bonus to helm and rings and without including bard buffs).

Like when I read your wizard with "Wizard Necromancer Insta-kill/CC caster build" with 115+ necro DC (which is very low for a wizard), I can't know if it would suck for a full completionist toon because the build is badly designed or if it sucks because it's used by a first life player.

For example, if you post your Evocation DC, include the 3 sorcerer past lives for +3 DC and past life arcane initiate feat in the feats list even if yours is a first life toon, or if you post Illusion DC then include 3 deep gnome lives, etcetera.

It would be also nice that when you write a spell school DC and your primary attribute, you write their breakdown (the calculation is similar for all caster builds).

This is a breakdown template I use for my builds and it would help me to understand if your builds include all important stuff:

Wisdom (110):
18 Base
8 Level-up
8 Tome
2 Class completionist
2 Racial completionist
1 Falconry enhancements
5 Dire thaumaturge
2 Yugoloth potion

Earthquake DC (128):
18 Base
50 Wisdom
3 Sorcerer past lives
2 Embolden spell
4 Scion of water
4 Dire thaumaturge
Hi DeathTitan,

Thank you again for your comments and suggestion.
I do see your point, and indeed this is one possible direction I could take with the builds I post.
I, however, prefer to post a more 'core/achievable' build for the large number of players who are nowhere near the massive achievement of becoming a completionist (not only massive, but potentially unachievable for the many who do not have the amount of free time it takes to become one).

The more experienced players (particularly completionists) are highly likely to know which bonuses to add to the 'core' build to get to where they want to go. It's great that players like you post the math to achieving the 'max' for certain stats. My builds are not concerned with the 'max' nor 'the meta', and I am very comfortable with players retrieving that kind of info from others who put a lot of time and effort calculating and sharing that with the community.

Experienced players are highly likely to know if the 'core' builds here "would suck for a full completionist toon because the build is badly designed or if it sucks because it's used by a first life player". Their input towards any possible 'bad design' is very welcome: the more specific their input can be, the more useful to me and others who will come to read my builds.

Just for the record: the Wizard build, as it is, doesn't 'suck' for me when I play endgame content in reaper mode 6-10. But the definition of 'suck' is rather ambiguous: if it means having the absolute max stats for everything and being a META build, then ya, perhaps it would 'suck' for some people. To me a build is good when it achieves its goals. Mine does, and I have plenty of experience running it in endgame content to verify that. Thankfully, there is a viable way to play this game without a ton of past lives. It does require a few tomes and a lot of knowledge about quests, mobs (the game in general), but it works :)

N.B. Against my better judgement, I did decide to post some info about the current endgame gear, despite my aim being to provide a more 'core/achievable' build. I will stick by that decision, and do not promise at all that all gear-sets will be fully updated immediately upon the release of new content. The gear sets work well enough, and it's meant to provide inspiration for gear tetris.

Last edited:

DeathTitan

I'm sorry if I used the "suck" word, it doesn't mean to offend.
step in "wake me up inside" r10 quest, cast finger of death on the starting "Nightmarish Needler" mobs 10 times and let me know how often 115 necro DC lands.
Do the same thing against the mobs at the start of "a sharn welcome".

Kalibano

I'm sorry if I used the "suck" word, it doesn't mean to offend.
step in "wake me up inside" r10 quest, cast finger of death on the starting "Nightmarish Needler" mobs 10 times and let me know how often 115 necro DC lands.
Do the same thing against the mobs at the start of "a sharn welcome".
Thanks for the clarification, no offense taken :)

This is possibly a larger debate than whether or not the 'core' Wizard build I proposed works or not:
- One factor to consider is that caster AoE DPS seems over tuned, while mob HPs seem under tuned, and so the prevalence of nuker builds creates a META, within which my build resides
- Within this META, some would argue that insta-kills are just a waste, since one click of an AoE nuking spell and all is dead. This makes it hard to discuss the usefulness of insta-kill builds (or even CC for that matter), including mine
- Perhaps the same META 'requires' no-fail insta-kills, where in one click everything dies, so it can compete with nuking and keep up with kill count (it matters for some)? In this scenario, my build would seem to underperform in its current state (i.e. without all past lives and max everything), as it does insta-kill, but not 100% no-fail in one click
- I prefer to think of DDO evolving in an eternal 'balance', and that in the future (hopefully near future!), AoE caster nuking dps could be brought down, so that crowd control and insta-kill builds become more desirable again. Hence my insistence in saying that I 'don't care about META': I don't ever build for the current META (some META's disappear as quickly as they come about: one hot-fix and its gone).

In the interim, my build serves the purpose it was designed to achieve (the aims I proposed there). The way I play it depends on a lot of things: am I playing alone? What difficulty? Am I in a group? What difficulty are we doing? Who's in the group with me (i.e. which roles are covered)?

Perhaps it's fair to say that most groups expect wizards to do CC, as this safeguards the party and expedites things a lot. My build does plenty of that, while still performing insta-kills. A very crude example of one of the ways (i.e. not the only way) I play my Wizard:
- Enter a room: cast Circle of Death: some mobs die there and then; some of those who don't might then fail FORT and get mass Enervation de-buff. This frequently thins out the pack and/or makes them more vulnerable for the next spells to come. But it will also apply the Salt de-buff from my Dino weapon, and then apply both the Cold DoT from the Dino weapon and the Acid DoT from my alchemical orb.
- This could be followed by a Crushing Despair and a Mass Hold, both of which would apply more stacks (despair debuffing WILL specifically)
- Then a quick Dark Light of the Moon, for AoE debuffs, while giving some protection to the party
- These are 4 clicks so far, and with quicken, not a bad combo
- Depending on who, what, how hard, I might drop a mind fog, or a cloud kill, but not always. I often just go for the below
(N.B. So far, all of the above benefits the party and fulfils the aims of my build at endgame reaper 6-10 skulls).

- Now let's say I got for the insta-kills:
> While they are helpless, I can Wail of Banshee to kill and/or AoE neg level the mobs in the held area, while either killing mobs around (archers, casters), or simply picking the held mobs themselves​
> Power word: kill has no save, so goes first. With a long cooldown, the earlier it's used, the earlier I can use again.​
> Maybe Enervation? not only debuffs via neg levels, but Dots with neg energy dmg, as well as adding the dots detailed above​
- The shining star for this wiz build is Phantasmal Killer (Will and Fort), as Illusion DCs are the highest (a quick side note: if I had racial lives, I would more Action points, and could take Feydark Illusionists T1 Twist Reality, which would progressively de-buff as I cast 3x Phantasmal killer and/or Greater Color Spray)​
- But what really matters is knowing your mobs well: some have high Reflexes, other high Fort, others high Will.​
- In sum, just walking in and clicking Finger of death is rarely what I do. I'd probably ask myself: do I use a Will insta-kill (Trap Soul, one save only, and Will), Fort or Reflex, depending on the type of enemy I am facing? Also, a quick enervation/energy drain before an insta-kill does wonders :)

Last edited:

DeathTitan

Thanks for the clarification, no offense taken :)

This is possibly a larger debate than whether or not the Wizard build I proposed works or not:
- One factor to consider is that caster AoE DPS seems overtuned, while mob HPs seem undertuned, and so the prevalence of nuker builds creates a META, within which my build resides
- Within this META, some would argue that insta-kills are just a waste, since one click of an AoE nuking spell and all is dead. This makes it hard to discuss the usefulness of insta-kill builds, including mine
- Perhaps the same META 'requires' no-fail insta-kills, where in one click everything dies, so kill count matters (for some)? In this scenario, my build would seem to underperform in its current state (i.e. without all past lives and max everything)
- I prefer to think of DDO evolving in an eternal 'balance', and that in the future (hopefully near future!), AoE caster nuking dps could be brought down, so that crowd control and insta-kill builds become more desirable again. Hence my insistence in saying that I 'don't care about META': I don't ever build for the current META (some META's disappear as quickly as they come about: one hot-fix and its gone).

In the interim, my build serves the purpose it was designed to achieve (the aims I proposed there). The way I play it depends on a lot of things: am I playing alone? What difficulty? Am I in a group? What difficulty are we doing? Who's in the group with me (i.e. which roles are covered)?

Perhaps it's fair to say that most groups expect wizards to do CC, as this expedites things a lot. My build does plenty of that, while still poking at insta-kills. A very crude example of one of the ways (i.e. not the only way) I play my Wizard:
- Enter a room: cast Circle of Death: some mobs might die, some of those who don't might fail FORT and get mass Enervation de-buff. This frequently thins out the pack. But it will also apply the Salt de-buff from my Dino weapon, and then apply both the Cold DoT from the Dino weapon and the Acid DoT from my alchemical orb.
- This could be followed by a Crushing Despair and a Mass Hold, both of which would apply more stacks (despair debuffing will specifically)
- These are 3 clicks so far, and with quicken, not a bad combo
- Depending on who, what, how hard, I might drop a mind fog, or a cloud kill, but not always. I often just go for the below

- Now let's say I got for the insta-kills:
> Power word: kill has no save, so goes first. With a long cooldown, the earlier it's used, the earlier I can use again.​
> Maybe Enervation? not only debuffs via neg levels, but Dots with neg energy dmg, as well as adding more dots above​
- The shining star for this wiz build is Phantasmal Killer, as Illusion DCs are the highest (a quick side note: if I had racial lives, I would more Action points, and could take Feydark Illusionists T1 Twist Reality, which would progressively de-buff as I cast 3x Phantasmal killer and/or Greater Color Spray)​
- But what really matters is knowing your mobs well: some have high Reflexes, other high Fort, others high Will.​
- In sum, just walking in and clicking Finger of death is rarely what I do. I'd probably ask myself: do I use a Will insta-kill (Trap Soul), Fort or Reflex, depending on the type of enemy I am facing? Also, a quick enervation/energy drain before an insta-kill does wonders :)
you described all scenarios that do not work at R10 difficulty (they work at r1-r4 difficulty).
For example in R10 Droaam content you spot an archer and you have the first move.
After the first move he will throw you an arrow dealing 1600 damage.
Then maybe you can cast a second spell and risk a second arrow on you at the same time for 1600 more damage or flee behind a corner.

Against Droaam archers, 117 necromancy DC works almost all times.

Against "Nightmarish Needler" in r10 feywild that DC doesn't work because they have high fortitude saves (they shoul be ranged toons too).

Anyway you wrote me a long response but I understood that you don't want to make the simple test I asked you (I already did that test and I know the response, but I hoped that you understand by doing those tests yourself).

Also you overestimate past lives and completionist: for example if you equip only a +14 charisma item instead of +15 and only a +5 insightful charisma augment instead of insightful +6 charisma item, you are losing 2 points of charisma, and if you don't always use yugoloth potions you are losing 2 more points of charisma.

Another example in R10 Droaam content: if a melee mob saves twice in a row my crowd control spells, I'm probably dead, that's why I had to raise my evocation DC from 126 to 130 (fortitude).

By the way you should correct all your build equipment screenshots because the dinosaur bone artifacts gives 15 attribute and not 14 attribute like I see in your screenshots.
Another suggestion is that I think that this game has more stuff that increase charisma than stuff that increase wisdom, so probably building a WIS based favored soul could be a poor choice.

Last edited:

Kalibano

you described all scenarios that do not work at R10 difficulty (they work at r1-r4 difficulty).
For example in R10 Droaam content you spot an archer and you have the first move.
After the first move he will throw you an arrow dealing 1600 damage.
Then maybe you can cast a second spell and risk a second arrow on you at the same time for 1600 more damage or flee behind a corner.

Against Droaam archers, 117 necromancy DC works almost all times.

Against "Nightmarish Needler" in r10 feywild that DC doesn't work because they have high fortitude saves (they shoul be ranged toons too).

Anyway you wrote me a long response but I understood that you don't want to make the simple test I asked you (I already did that test and I know the response, but I hoped that you understand by doing those tests yourself).

Also you overestimate past lives and completionist: for example if you equip only a +14 charisma item instead of +15 and only a +5 insightful charisma augment instead of insightful +6 charisma item, you are losing 2 points of charisma, and if you don't always use yugoloth potions you are losing 2 more points of charisma.

Another example in R10 Droaam content: if a melee mob saves twice in a row my crowd control spells, I'm probably dead, that's why I had to raise my evocation DC from 126 to 130 (fortitude).
The scenarios I described work at all endgame quests reaper 6-10: that's the content I run, and I run while being sober, and last I checked, I have not gone completely insane yet (despite the lag!) :)
The scenario of the Wizard alone vs archer rarely happens to me, as I rarely solo reaper 6-10. There are always others ahead of me, and with enlarge spell, I am at the right place for doing what I am doing: at the back of the group. I do not brag about having builds that solo R10 (I dont think R10 should be soloable, but that's a different discussion altogether).

There's nothing further to say other than I have been playing since 2006, and Wizard being my favourite class, I have lots of experience and do play it frequently at endgame, as it is. Thank you for your input, and as new content gets released (e.g. Legendarified Droaam), it is indeed a time of testing and getting to know the weaknesses of the enemies. And having some packs being harder than others ref saves (e.g. Sharn), it's another difficulty to be considered in that learning curve.

Necromancy DC (.i.e FORT based-save) not working on a feywild mob with high FORT saves seems a no-brainer: apart from de-buffs, there are Will-save based insta-kills that might work better, and if not, CC and damage spells (as well as dmg from the group) will get the job done. There are no scenarios at all where I just keep holding the monsters forever and they never die, sorry lol.

Thanks again for your time and input here, and still keen to hear specific suggestions about any aspect of the build that you think could make it better :)
N.B. I do use Yugo pots: that's not part of the core build of my Wizard, it's a buff, which requires favor, and not all players (particularly new ones) will have straight away. I don't really include all specifics that can max out everything, as I mentioned before: there are other posts that do that.

Last edited:

Kalibano

There was a discussion about this just the other day in a Discord channel, and to quote a couple of very experienced players' opinions (sorry, not keen to share names without consent) ref spells DCs:

"With amazing mob knowledge around 95-100 is all you need. To be safe 115-120 on everything covers most everything except high fort mobs, 130+ still fails there"

"I've found 115-120 to be sufficient for r10's. Anything more tends to be a little bit overkill outside of very specific mobs. I think 100-110 is the benchmark, 115-120 if you're a dedicated DC caster. Any more than that and it feels like a waste".

Last edited:

Kalibano

Let's speak about more important things: what build will you play today when hardcore server opens? :D
Not sure I will do this hardcore, as I have the blood footprints already. Tempted by the cloak with the dragon, though :)
I always play Pally vanguard when I go HC: Pally is just amazing at almost everything: I can go 2x DPS with vanguard/KotC and great defenses with Sac Defender and enough CHA. Excellent self-healing.

I don't join all leagues, though, can't say I am a huge fan. Perhaps I have too much to work towards with 23 alts hehehe. I've had my share of conquests there, as some of the screenshots of my alts under my build repository will show.

How about you? which will you play? :)

Last edited:

DeathTitan

Not sure I will do this hardcore, as I have the nice blood footprints already. Tempted by the cloak with the dragon, though :)
I always play Pally vanguard, with lots of denfense. I don;t join all leagues, though, can't say I am a huge fan. Perhaps I have too much to work towards with 23 alts hehehe.

How about you? which will you play? :)
oh man, I always envied players like you with blood footprints! 5000 favors with season 1 or 5 rules was not a joke and I rarely see people with blood footprints.

Now gold footprints can be got with 1750 favors.

I was thinking to a constitution build (druid with 18 wisdom and 18 constitution with level up points in constitution): I hope that my spells will have enough DC for elite difficulty content without investing 100% in DC like I did so far.

Anyway you can't miss the cloak with the dragon :D
See you soon on hardcore server! ahahah

Last edited:

DeathTitan

There was a discussion about this just the other day in a Discord channel, and to quote a couple of very experienced players' opinions (sorry, can't share names without permission) ref spells DCs:

"With amazing mob knowledge around 95-100 is all you need. To be safe 115-120 on everything covers most everything except high fort mobs, 130+ still fails there"

"I've found 115-120 to be sufficient for r10's. Anything more tends to be a little bit overkill outside of very specific mobs. I think 100-110 is the benchmark, 115-120 if you're a dedicated DC caster. Any more than that and it feels like a waste".
yeah, that was true before update 59.

A no fail DC caster build in any content because a 25% failure chance in R10 droaam content.

Also update 59 introduced a 33% casters dps nerf at R10 difficulty, so all the nuker builds who killed fast even when mobs always saved their spells for half damage, now don't kill so fast anymore.

For example before update 59 I killed mobs with just burst of glacial wrath + dragon breath, while now I have to cast burst of glacial wrath + tsunami + dragon breath + 2 or 3 ice flowers and "maybe" they are dead (I hope that things will improve when I will introduce +15% helpless damage set in my equipment).

Anyway in feywild and sharn R10, my DC 117 finger of death is still saved a lot (even sharn pixies are saving against it and they should have low fortitude saves): I always do my tests when play solo, I don't know if they are in group and there is a buffer bard or other players who debuff mob saves.

Dogbreath68

Wisdom (110):
18 Base
8 Level-up
8 Tome
2 Class completionist
2 Racial completionist
1 Falconry enhancements
5 Dire thaumaturge
2 Yugoloth potion

Earthquake DC (128):
18 Base
50 Wisdom
3 Sorcerer past lives
2 Embolden spell
4 Scion of water
4 Dire thaumaturge
I am a terrible healer, like horrible. But I am intrigued by this build. I never build from others, but I may give this a try as I love earthquake!

DeathTitan

I am a terrible healer, like horrible. But I am intrigued by this build. I never build from others, but I may give this a try as I love earthquake!
I'm not an earthquake lover because I sometimes see mobs walking around it to avoid the effect.
I also saw fast mobs walking through it between earthquake ticks and not being affected by it.
Since then I prefer cone CC spells (greatest shout, burst of glacial wrath, greater color spray) or salt ray against single targets.

Kali, do you use spring to summore epic strike?