Ki Bolt, Magic Missiles, and Ruin Make Muggle Monks Moan

saekee

long live ROGUE
another question--I am thinking of going electric since it is the least resisted element (in OP); what else procs on the ki bolt? Would anything from the Perfected Darkstorm Helm proc on the bolt or its tics? Or the Staggershockers? Just wandering what can appear there.

Not that it is gamebreaking, but Soulrazor was eating the souls of enemies killed by ki bolts.

Reactions: DBZ

saekee

long live ROGUE
Alchemical Air Attunement.

Nothing.
oh great! Any gear recommendations that would add procs of worth? I think the Osfield Boots’ Sound and Silence might be worthwhile as I will have IoD boots anyway for the set

Edit: alchemical earth tics off of it every time—not much damage but something—have it from IoD Meltclaw or whatever. Will try the cold one since I have air attunement on helm If both proc, that would be handy.

Last edited:

Tilomere

I think Brazen Brilliance on Cauldron or wave from Staff of Irian might be cool. Not sure if it scales on light spell power on any spell (I think it does) or only on light spells.
Or a 12 monk 8 sorc, with ki bolt (draconic mantle) > 3x burning blood with magma and acid dots scaling off spell power on burning bloods with some CDR.

Acid is least resistant, lightning was least likely to be overwritten due to lack of lightning draconic casters when it used to overwrite.

Bjond

I wonder if this works with EA's wrathful form, too. It's lower single-target, but it's AE-ness makes up for that if there are multiple targets. Might be nice for a tank.

The downside for using EA's would come if you ever need to cast a self-heal (might overwrite the Ki-bolt scaling).

Tilomere

I was wondering if a sacred fist could maintain EA mantle with healing aura, and still run draconic mantle off ki bolt. I don't know how the new EA mantle works though.

Bjond

I was wondering if a sacred fist could maintain EA mantle with healing aura, and still run draconic mantle off ki bolt. I don't know how the new EA mantle works though.
Dunno about SF, but just using renewal would keep the aura up when I was using it on my tank. US with EA Wrath mantle is a lot nicer for the simple R1 raiding we do on Cannith. I'm giving US mantle with FotW a try now. It's more hate and dps, but also more work.

My guess is that triggering the wrath aura via renewal would trash any fun bonus scaling you might bring.

The only other tests I did on the EA mantles were with the heal mantle and AoS. It's eldritch blasts would trigger the fire proc, but not the light.

Tistus

I'm laying out a somewhat tested, somewhat anecdotal, and some just plain hilarious monk.

It has three cornerstones for monster gibbing dps, works for any enhancement tree monk has available to it, with a variety of splashes, and I'm going to show the simpler pure 20 Henshin version.

The first cornerstone is adding proc damage to ki bolt (and other ki spells), so that proc damage gains 3x melee power scaling. This is like addign sneak damage to adrenaline.
Ki-Bolt.jpg

Note that those procs may or may not have their own scaling as well. For example, draconic mantle also has its own spell power scaling, so the total ki bolt hits like a truck:

Screen-Shot-2024-01-06-192505-0.jpg

Draconic mantle is on a 5 second cooldown, so you can toss a ki bolt at mobs every 5 seconds or so and watch it melt. Until update 66, this mantle is commonly overwritten by various other casters with same mantles and weapon and caster procs (elemental attunement rings, dripping with magma, melftfang/acid dot on weapons, etc.), so you can pick uncommon (air/poison/negative) channels, or whatnot if you want. I picked acid for tanking synergy. Poison is max dps with NiS and alchemist splash to break immunity, electricity is least likely to be overwritten by others. They all have their pros and cons, and you can swap the gear up for whatever you pick.

Monk Ki spells are divine and will increment Arcane Warrior, except wave which is bugged and instead reduces your arcane warrior stacks to 0. They are also considered force or untyped spells despite also dealing fire damage.

The second cornerstone is the standard adrenaline + boulder's might. But that's covered everywhere else, so I'll just mention it. Every 8-9 ish seconds or so, depending on Update 66 nerfs. Due to causing helpless, will combine with first cornerstone for hilarious damage numbers. Other epic strikes also have their own various pros/cons.

The third cornerstone is PL:Wiz and Greater Ruin, preferably Ruin Intensified. I'm showing the T5 US version of the build, but if you want more dps, you can take T5 draconic instead. Missiles debuff, and the Greater (intensified?) Ruin cast right after will take things out. This has 10 charges per shrine, and will eat up 1.5k mana. Soloing a PUG raid takes ~350 mana, leaving 1.1k, but I don't have Wellspring/Ruin/GRuin base mana below and epic level spell cost reduction which will give you the rest you need, as will reaper mana globes:
Screen-Shot-2024-01-18-215040-0.jpg

Screen-Shot-2024-01-18-215100-0.jpg

So your monk is in Unyielding (renewal), Draconic (mantle), and FoTW (adrenaline+boulder's). Above I'm in T5 Unyielding for tanking, and don't have ruins or adrenaline, but this is just my test exploratory build. Although it isn't optimal, test build can solo PUG raids reasonably well. Race is whatever gives you what you want (run speed + staff attacks here), but can be Aasimar Fallen for more power/hamp/vulnerability.

Since your toolbars are now full of cornerstone dps combos and healing and defense, simplify it by dropping all the weaker monk abilities, like void strike, ELCAS, fists of iron, quivering palm, and all monk strikes and finishers, as well as all falconry attacks (basically we are culling all the heroic abilities for epic abilities). The #1 toolbar then drops GMOF Strike, Wave, Cauldron, and US T5 for Adrenaline + Boulder and MM + GRuin, moving Cauldron to 2nd rarely hit row next to acid debuffing.

Gearing: Hybrid, example below. Poison or negative Draconic will use raid gloves. Other elements swaps ToEE sets. Uncentered gear sets use GMoF Inner Focus and Orchid Blossom for Ki generation.

Link
1​
2​
3​
4​
Set Name
1​
2​
3​
4​
1​
2​
DPS Goggles Acid LoreIns. SpellsightSpell SavesWizMonolith(2)Melee PowerAcid PowerPRRIns. Dex
Tank Goggles Q ConPRRInciteFalse LifeMonolith(2)Melee PowerAcid PowerPRRConcentration
Helm Scale-Acid Crit DmgFang-Acid Crit DmgClaw-Acid Crit DmgHorn-GhostlyDeacon(3)Crit - AllCrit Dmg LegendaryMRR CapArt USPDemonheartCrystal Tea
Neck Armor PiercingDiversionQual AccImp. DeceptionMonolith(2)Luck
Trinkethttps://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Doctor_Lifestone's_Hunting_HornConShelteringDeceptionSpeedDread Isles Curse (5)Profane StuffsDodgeMelee Power
Armor Do not have to be centered, can wear heavier armor and use GMoF for Ki generation.Scale-FortificationFang-SneakClaw-Positive CritHorn-ResistanceDeacon(3)PomurasGreater Heroism
Cloakhttps://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Dinosaur_Bone_CloakScale-DexFang-SeekerClaw-StunningHorn-RelentlessDeacon(3)DeadlyAccuracy
Wrist-Artifacthttps://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Dinosaur_Bone_BracersScale-WisdomFang-HampClaw-TripHorn-Armor PenDread Isles Curse (5)UndyingUltimatum
Waist Ins. ShelteringStrengthDread Isles Curse (5)GlobeFestive Con
Ringhttps://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Bound_Elemental_Ring_of_FrostWater AttunementWiz - ElementalCold LoreGlaciationChained Elementals (2)Crit - ElemSP - ElemProtectionNatural Armor
Ring 2 Fire AttunementArcane AugmentationCombustionFire LoreChained Elementals (2)SpellcraftIns. Con
Bootshttps://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Sunken_SlippersIns PotencyQual PotencyQual WisdisplacementFestive Wis
Gloveshttps://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Birchlore_GauntletsScale-Positive CritDevotionHealing LoreVitalityDread Isles Curse (5)Ins. WisdomMaster's Gift
WeaponAny: IOD Staff/Wraps/Kukri/Dwarven Axe + Tower Shield/Throwing Dagger + Runearm, etc.Scale-Acid DmgFang-5% Spell CritClaw-CorrosionHorn-AshDread Isles Curse (5)Impulse/Eye of LammaniaSouleater

Filigree (Divine Crusaders swaps fort/HAMP for more melee power)QtyFilligree MP
Sucker/One
2​
18​
Citys MP
2​
10​
Longshadow MP
2​
15​
Treachery MP
2​
15​
Sucker MP
1​
5​
Mechanic Fort
1​
0​
Citys Fort
1​
0​
One MP
1​
5​
Purity/Touch Hamp
1​
0​
Purity Hamp
1​
0​

Feats*THFx3(start str 13 take at monk2)
S2P(monk 6)
Combat Experitise (2 cornerstone) or precision/power attack (3)(monk 1)
Weapon FocusX2 (2 Cornerstone) or toughnessx2 (3 Cornerstone)(non-strikethrough monks take WWA if lacking chains)
IC:B
PL:Wiz (3 Cornerstone) or Weapon Focus (2 Cornerstone)
toughness (deflect if race doesn't have it)(non-strikethrough monks take WWA if lacking chains)
EpicOC
Bulwark (2 Cornerstone) or Wellspring (3 Cornerstone)
Epic Reflexes (2 Cornerstone) Ruin (3 Cornerstone)Max + Levels Con for 3 cornerstone build
Epic DR (2 Cornerstone) Greater Ruin (3 Cornerstone)Otherwise Max + Levels Wisdom for 2 cornerstone build
DestinyTHF#4*Note this is a centered melee feat setup, but this build
Arcane Warrioralso works for ranged, S&B, and any combat style.
Acid Spell PowerPick feats per whatever you are building.
Positive Spell Power
Scion of Earth

Spell powers (don't have ruins or force augment) are solid, and buff further in reaper, with potions, arcane warrior stacks, etc:
Screen-Shot-2024-01-13-231000-0.jpg

Enhancement sample, but really you just need ki bolt.
Screen-Shot-2024-01-06-161536-0.jpg

End with a well-rounded monk with 5, 8-9, and 15 second cornerstone attacks, strong healing, decent tanking, highly mobile, with some CC. So you will end up with an epic instead of heroic monk, which gets more and more important the further you level away from heroic levels and abilities.

R1 (50% more than EE) Bullywogs with Darling to unlock chests is very fast way to farm IOD materials. 5 chests per 10:00.
R1 Spiders and flies killing spider opt then winging to end boss and killing and recalling/resetting without completing is also super fast 2 chest + named farm. 2 chests per 3:00
R1 crab dino opt is also super fast 1 chest per 1:30
R1 dino opt at base of stone crypt is also super fast 1 chest per 1:30
IOD rares loop is west of town gate to lion, sw to crab and golem, nw to mummy north through trex to bear, east to ettercaps, south dip to triceratops, way north to lizard thingy, east giant, crest boss, then south to water weird. Explorer is optimal for Trex Teeth and black pearls, dungeons are optimal for everything else.

The fortification and HAMP native to Divine Crusader frees up more filigree for melee power, plus various benefits.
Screen-Shot-2024-02-15-022101-0.jpg
You better be Red boy. You do not have a choice. :)