Low-Gear R10 / Raid Capable Character

Sheikra

I've been playing DDO for about 10 years, heroic completionist, almost racial completionist, but I've never really played at endgame. Everytime I get to 32 I'm too gimpy to contribute much in R10s or raids, so I go back to the TR hamster wheel.

I am looking for advice on a build that is not super gear intensive and that can meaningfully contribute to raids and R10s. I would love to be able to raid regularly, I just never feel like I add enough value to join the group! Let me know your thoughts for builds (especially if you have ideas beyond tank/healer haha, which are reasonable ideas

DBZ

Depends on your playstyle ranged shiradi works, cc instakills, dps, heals, tank

Depending on how populated your server is being flexible helps pug raids

Pick 2 things and do them really well rest is just practice

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
If you want to play an alround melee build, which is safe to play (high ac and prr/mrr, excellent selfheals) and can provide buffs, trapping and social skills for the party and have a relativly good damage too.
There is a budget gearset (non-raid items) in the 2nd link
Check the link below for details:

This build performs surprisingly well on a 1st lifer too:

Last edited:

Ying

5000+ hours played
Spellsinger bard with some CC. Heal specced. Yes, you only support but you will be great at it.
Talk about a waste of a heroic completionist + nearly racial completionist. Spellsinger bard is a great first life toon. When geared properly you can get 120 Enchantment DC. And you can solo heal R1 raids with it.

@Sheikra: Playing at endgame requires farming out gear for your role. Using epic leveling gear in legendary raids will make you feel gimpy. That includes leveling up a sentient jewel, and outfitting it with filigree.

If you like Rogues, Tronko has an excellent build guide for one: https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/reaper-endgame-centered-assassin.416/

If you like nukers, there's a Warlock build I posted that I did 5mil Reaper XP on (all R10): https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/yings-reaper-warlock.261/

If you want to be a beefy boy, then go Razorclaw 18 Barb/1 FvS/1 Warlock with handwraps. There are build files floating around for it.

I don't recommend you go ranged. It does significantly less damage than melee.

DBZ

All the ranged builds i know are doing better then ever 160k + sneak attack crits at maximum range

If your going to melee u better be self sufficient or know 1 real good healer

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
Talk about a waste of a heroic completionist + nearly racial completionist. Spellsinger bard is a great first life toon. When geared properly you can get 120 Enchantment DC. And you can solo heal R1 raids with it. @Sheikra: Playing at endgame requires farming out gear for your role. Using epic leveling gear in legendary raids will make you feel gimpy. That includes leveling up a sentient jewel, and outfitting it with filigree. If you like Rogues, Tronko has an excellent build guide for one: https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/reaper-endgame-centered-assassin.416/ If you like nukers, there's a Warlock build I posted that I did 5mil Reaper XP on (all R10): https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/yings-reaper-warlock.261/ If you want to be a beefy boy, then go Razorclaw 18 Barb/1 FvS/1 Warlock with handwraps. There are build files floating around for it. I don't recommend you go ranged. It does significantly less damage than melee.

Well, he asked specifically for a low-gear R10 build and you suggest farming gear for gear heavy characters.
My build suggestion might be a waste for you but with all his PLs he will survive R10 just fine until he gets the gear he needs for mightier characters.
My suggestion has the benefit that he can start running R10s right away. For your suggestions he needs some time to get the equipment he doesn't have.

/Shrug

Cheers,
Titus

Sheikra

Talk about a waste of a heroic completionist + nearly racial completionist. Spellsinger bard is a great first life toon. When geared properly you can get 120 Enchantment DC. And you can solo heal R1 raids with it.

@Sheikra: Playing at endgame requires farming out gear for your role. Using epic leveling gear in legendary raids will make you feel gimpy. That includes leveling up a sentient jewel, and outfitting it with filigree.

If you like Rogues, Tronko has an excellent build guide for one: https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/reaper-endgame-centered-assassin.416/

If you like nukers, there's a Warlock build I posted that I did 5mil Reaper XP on (all R10): https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/yings-reaper-warlock.261/

If you want to be a beefy boy, then go Razorclaw 18 Barb/1 FvS/1 Warlock with handwraps. There are build files floating around for it.

I appreciate the response Ying -- I was looking for a build that would be good specifically for doing the farming, but I also have been thinking about what build to do farming for, so this thread has helped to answer both.

I do feel gimpy in legendary content with epic gear, which is the point of finding an easier-to-gear build, as opposed to just pushing through the gimpy period while farming. So far my worst experiences in this game have all come from underperforming at endgame, and getting torn to shred bc of it by teammates, so trying to not relive that haha.

Monkey_Archer

Caster druid is a solid build for farming gear without gear. Unlike other casters you can completely ignore DCs and still function well, contribute to healing in raids & r10s, etc... The only stats that really matter are spell power and crit chance so prioritize those and you can be up and running with just a few pieces of gear.

Vox

If you're nearly at racial comp, almost any caster will be effective as long as you have the gear sorted.

That said, you don't need to hit ~1700 spell power before meta's to be effective in r10. Quest knowledge, DC's, and being able to take a hit or two without support are just as important if not more so.

saekee

long live ROGUE
well…completionist…can’t you by now give a sense of how you like to play? Then it is easier to give advice.

Many endgame builds feature raid equipment but there are versions of the same that are stepping stones while you get that stuff.

Ying

5000+ hours played
just pushing through the gimpy period while farming.
I understand. I just did a first life alchemist on hardcore and farming gear at cap with ML21 epic Boarderlands gear was painful. When I first stepped into legendary content, I had a 76 Conjuration DC and everything was constantly saving. Now I've got my last piece of gear and my DC is now 100. Nothing wrong farming gear on elite, and finding other like-minded people to do it with. Makes it much more fun, and you have a better chance of getting the gear you want w/o resorting to astral shards for rerolls. Gear really does matter.

Good luck.

I thought 18 fighter 1wlk 1fvs was better I don't know to much about the game still learning but could u explain why barb is better if it is

Ying

5000+ hours played
I thought 18 fighter 1wlk 1fvs was better I don't know to much about the game still learning but could u explain why barb is better if it is
18 Fighter is fine, just less HP and physical damage mitigation than Barb and lacks Improved Uncanny Dodge. Fighter has the option of going Light Armor and getting Evasion from Shadowdancer. Both are solid choices.

18 Fighter is fine, just less HP and physical damage mitigation than Barb and lacks Improved Uncanny Dodge. Fighter has the option of going Light Armor and getting Evasion from Shadowdancer. Both are solid choices.
Oh I didn't know improved uncanny dodge was like that good I thought just taking some heavy armor feats from fighter after all your weapon focuses and improved crit and that sorta stuff was better

Ying

5000+ hours played
Depends what your goals are. In high skull reaper, I prefer 36% Dodge and Evasion over +25 PRR/16% Dodge provided by heavy armor. With Light Armor, I'm still at 128 MRR using the Mind and Matter set. So I get no MRR benefit from Medium or Heavy Armor.

And yes, Improved Uncanny Dodge is amazing for defense since it ignores Dodge Caps. I typically pop it when I'm tanking a Doom Reaper.

Depends what your goals are. In high skull reaper, I prefer 36% Dodge and Evasion over +25 PRR/16% Dodge provided by heavy armor. With Light Armor, I'm still at 128 MRR using the Mind and Matter set. So I get no MRR benefit from Medium or Heavy Armor.

And yes, Improved Uncanny Dodge is amazing for defense since it ignores Dodge Caps. I typically pop it when I'm tanking a Doom Reaper.
I also wanted to ask what build do u recommend for like trying to do r4 while lvling from 1-20 if you dont mind answering that

Onyxia2016

You can make just about any build work in heroic r4. In situation like this I usually default to suggesting THF paladin. Can deal decent damage and has a high survivability rate. If you want even more tankiness switch to sword and shield but that reduces damage output a lot.